Now the dust has settled

Now the dust has settled...
what system better translates the elemental bending from the Avatar series?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!AkJjEIRK!IeDPFgL1rYe04UcxPRn8Zw
dropbox.com/sh/arzm4yqjtb6vhhn/AABty5R3unR7S3vib9dErgCMa?dl=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Oh boy another thread where we can shit on Korra

Savage Worlds.

[Avatar: The Second Age]
mega.nz/#F!AkJjEIRK!IeDPFgL1rYe04UcxPRn8Zw
dropbox.com/sh/arzm4yqjtb6vhhn/AABty5R3unR7S3vib9dErgCMa?dl=0
There. Will you try Genesys now?

>Genesys
What are it's strong points in general ?

But user, she doesn’t have that fetish.

It's a generic system, like Gurps or Hero but worse.

Wrong.

It's a generic system that so far, the worst thing about it is probably that magic is finicky, and it uses the same special dice as FFG Star Wars.
As-is, it's mostly a toolkit, and does need setting mechanics and options to flesh it out.
It was released in December, and so, being new, follows much of modern RPG trends. Strong Narrative Focus, focus on easy on-the-fly combat balance and npc creation, making it easier for GM Prep.
It's still very Heroic focused, so it's just one step less deadly than 5e, though house rules and good GM-ing can change that.
The thing most of Veeky Forums can't get past is the dice.

wut

It's always a shame when an awesome series gets a shitty entry.

I can never bring up ghostbusters ever again without someone bringing up gender politics because of the shitty reboot.

GURPS

>Wrong

Right

What is so wrong with Korra?
I was disappointed when I watched it, a lot of things didn't make sense, a lot of opportunities were lost.
But it still an okay show, with interesting ideas and quality animation. Yet you paint it like unwatchable garbage. You, the dudes, who chug isekai shonen vomit like it is pure gold.

I was being sarcastic. I haven't even seen Korra. But every time an Avatar thread is posted it eventually turns into a sperg-fest about how terrible Korra is.

It followed an amazing show, it fucked with a lot of stuff from the earlier show that everyone loved, and it was just kinda shitty in its own right.

I'm not denying its flaws, but it isn't as bad as people in here claim it to be. At leas for quality of animation and some interesting bits of artdirection.

>It's still very Heroic focused, so it's just one step less deadly than 5e
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You have clearly never played the system.

Exalted, the setting it's based on?

Korra is really, really bad. While TLA wasn't perfect it had a lot of character and consistency.

Korra, on the other hand, is a monumental fuck-up. The first season has a character that knows spirit bending as the main badguy (shitting on Aang), while Korra is just an asshole all season. The second has Korra not only destroy all history of the avatars, but the climax is her *fucking up the world by her own hand instead of the other guy*. Then the third season has terrorists that actually have a point in stopping her, and the consequences from her fucking up so bad in season 2 - only for her to lose all of her abilities entirely. Finally, in the fourth season, she does some decent work in a pretty bog-standard story with great animation (I really didn't mind the last season).

>The first season has a character that knows spirit bending as the main badguy (shitting on Aang)
I thought the reveal was that Amon was a bloodbender, not a spirit bender.

It was.

I'd use Legends of the Wulin because IMO it's the best supernatural martial arts system out there, but the learning curve is atrocious due to the awful editing of the core book and it takes a hell of a lot of tweaking to actually get working right. The actual game, after all that bullshit, is fucking sublime. But it's a hell of a road getting there.

So how exactly was he shitting on Aang? If anything, Korra shat on Aang more than Amon did.

FATE

>Korra shat on Aang more than Amon did.

Yes, that's the point.

>I was just pretending to be retarded
Wow, great premise. It's a good thing they made her gay in the last 2 minutes otherwise nobody would talk about it.

Marvel Heroics

Wait, wait, never mind, I meant to say the opposite, it's slightly more deadly than 5e, as long as you don't waste Strain like a dumbass.

Korra have more ups and downs, but the ups are great. It's rotting a bit from the popular trend of shoving agendas into everything, but not that much and its fairly tame. The story with Kuvira and Red Lotus? The origin of bending? It was brilliant in my opinion.

TLA is evened out, probably because it was made for younger audience. And nobody bothered with implementing a mandatory gay couple for example, because nobody gave a shit.

>Wow, great premise. It's a good thing they made her gay in the last 2 minutes otherwise nobody would talk about it.

Nah, between the Murder suicide ending of season1, Season 2's Anarchists Squad/Sucking the Air out of People's Lungs and Flying ultimate airbender techniques/Exploding heads/etc, Season3's first half and Varrick [/spoilers] The show had its highlights.

Personally, I thought it bit off more than it could chew. In The Last Airbender, they knew they were making a show for kids, so even the slightest nod towards actual depth, not matter how clumsy, seemed impressive.

But when they did Korra, they tried to be more grown up, and the fact that they were only middling writers working on a children's cartoon show became all the more glaringly obvious.

It's like watching the dirty jokes/outtakes from your favorite cartoon vs an R rated drama/thriller edited to air on the Disney channel.

He took vending away through spirit bending. He was also a blood bender because they had to make the most special snowflakes possible for the new series.

Why is Top so best girl

and why does everyone get butthurt about the yuri in korra, it was obvious for a good bit that's the way their relationship was going

Why when they're just going to die by the end of the season anyways?

Why is Veeky Forums so into Toph? Is it just because it's Veeky Forums so lolis?

Sokka is objectively the best character anyways

Well yeah she's fuggable as hell but I think her attitude/personality are also nice.

Sokka's pretty great though

The dust has not yet settled, faggot

she is cute, funny, isn't a bitter cunt about being blind, aswell as being strong. despite her character progressing as the plot moves on, her original personality is always there, making it feel like she's actually learning and changing, instead of just doing some head-heels turn.
She's Veeky Forums's favourite because she's well written and interesting, rather than just being "main characters gf" or some gay shit like that
but yeah Sokka is the best character, followed closely by Iroh. I wasn't sure whether I liked him or not, but the scene where he sings made me feel like some tumblrtard crying because of a child's cartoon.

>being this stupid

>agendas
Every time this word comes up it just reminds me how homo"phobia" is as apt a word as you can get

>great one liners
>best bants with sokka
>cute design
>good VA
>badass
>turns a weakness into a strength
>bends the best element

Fuck you for reminding me of the little solider boy

I like to imagine korra is in-universe fanfiction

Wow this thread got derailed Faaaaast.

footfags pls go and stay go

I used heroes unlimited once.
It ran for almost 3 years.

Amon wasn't a spiritbender, bloodbending just works differently in LoK. And can't be fixed by waterhealing or bloodbending apparently

I'd imagine because the yuri came out of nowhere and the creators/fans of it lashed out at everyone else who didn't like it.

Have you seen her feet? That's not something you'll get off to, just saying

Is the Qin houserule user here? If possible i'd like to see the progression of the bending Taos you made. If you don't mind ofcourse.

You might not appreciate his humour, but the YouTuber 'E;R' lays out a good critique of the first season and the first two episodes of the second. I'd advise watching it to understand most people's issues with the show if you have a few hours to spare

There's a lot of fairly recent youtube videos about LoK if someone wanted to understand why people seem to dislike LoK.

I'm sure, I came across his after the 'Force Engorges' review he released when I was looking into the new trilogy. His review is the only one I can recommend as I haven't watched any others recently

People shitting on Korra have probably never read about the behind the kerfuffle. The creators were told: Make a show that's just as good as AtlA, but only takes a season. Lo and behold the first season introduces new characters, new challenges, develops the world and tells us a bit old characters or their offspring. Basically anything you'd want from a continuation story. It actually has a nice arc for the new avatar, considering it's only a season. It ends strong, but overall you feel the rush to get everything done.

Then the executives come along saying "jk gib moar seasons plox". It's Babylon 5 all over again.

Except for Bryke knowing ahead of time they were getting more seasons. It wasn't a surprise as you make it out to be.

Nick screwed them over with advertisement and leaks and such. But they knew well ahead of time how many seasons and episodes they had to work with and came up short because they couldn't detach themselves from trying to one up Atla.

Only really true for Seasons 2-4. I guarantee you they didn't know they were getting more seasons until after all the legwork for Season 1 was finished

Depends on what you mean by leg-work. They've said in interviews that they knew how many season they were getting total, before season 1 had finished production.

But assuming they didn't know, they still had 4 years to make the rest. They weren't being jerked around by nick during production, they just had no idea where to go with it i presume, which is why everything after season one is pretty much a rehash of the same themes from book 1 (that weren't very well done desu). Becoming spiritual (book 2), becoming an avatar (book 3) and book 4 was the follow up to losing her bending we never got from book 1.

I also think it's worth noting that many critics felt that each season independently was rushed and lacking. So even if they had no idea they were getting more seasons they still performed poorly for each season.

Also i feel like they must have thought they could do it justice, otherwise why would they sign a contract after the book 1 contract.

Dudes, I do dislike Korra myself, I completely agree with inconsistencies and flops, but I still believe it is an average show, just for production value alone. And as dudes above said - it also had some nice points to it (I personally like how they shaped metalbending into and independent art of its own, even politically).
I didn't notice her going gay - it seems like they're just bonded, friendship and all. I mean, girls can hold hands just in a friendly manner.

The problem with Korea is Korra.
She’s a raging cunt, who is simultaneously a Mary Sue and unbelievably incompetent, which does less to make her not a Mary Sue and more to exaggerate how much she is. She learns fire bending water bending and earth bending at the age of 4 because she’s so fucking great but she can’t learn airbendikg because she’s retarded? Yeah okay. Good plot idea. Great character. Just make her be an unlikable piece of shit with almost no redeeming qualities except a nice rack with a love interest so flat I could have sworn he was a robot before you just throw all that down the shitter because tumblr got invested in a piece of eye candy plot device in a layer episode.

The show has plenty of good things about it but Korra is such an unlikable fuckstain it ruins the whole experience. And yes, she is an honest to go Mary Sue. Everyone in this show just about is a Mary or Gary Stu because they just had to one up TLA instead of letting sleeping dogs lie. It was not enough for them to succeed (of which they failed), others must also fail.

>first half of first episode
>"buy-curious"

IT WAS PLANNED ALL ALONG!

I don't hate korra either desu, i'm just really disappointed. The animation, music and even most of the characters where good to me. Didn't mind metal bending myself, though i did mind the lightning bending and that spiritbending seemed to be a watertribe only thing.

Overall i'd say it's an average but pretty show, that gets too much credit for things it didn't do. And get excused for the things it did wrong for no reason.

If only that had happened. What she actually says is "I don't have any money". Too bad it's all lost to memery at this point.

This. Take out Korra and the show gets ten times better

>i did mind the lightning bending
Why? It was introduced in the first part and it also plausible. I mean, if you treat firebending as electronbending. This makes sense because firebenders don't really need fire and create it themselves.

Oh i don't mind it existing, i mind it becoming seemingly common. When it's used in power plants and by street gangs it looses what made it special.

And unlike Metal bending, lightning seemed more linked to mental states and spirituality, which shouldn't be spreading as fast as say metal bending which is just about perception and stubborness.

In TLA, if someone used lightning bending you knew that there was one hell of a fight ahead. Now literally every mook could be using it

I think it makes sense. You went from "techniques are secret and you are lucky to even see someone lightning bend, let alone learn it" to it being in tabloids.

Flame color is probably more spiritual than lightning, being in a shitty headspace makes you perform mundane martial arts worse/not at all as well, which is why Zuko failed.

>"techniques are secret and you are lucky to even see someone lightning bend, let alone learn it"

Well there's that, but also that it was hard to do because you needed a certain mentality in the moment of use. It's not something that is just learned, so it becoming a menial job or spread via gangs, to underlings no less, is pretty dumb. Also, just showing pictures about it doesn't translate to understanding how it works. As Iroh mentioned in Atla, it isn't really like normal firebending, you create the conditions for lighting and direct it, but have no real control over it.

Toph is best girl. I don't care that she's 12, I can be patient. The wait is worth.

I love Edge of the Empire and I play it regularly with my group, and we still all dislike Genesys.

I don't remember underlings who could lightning bend actually, but then I haven't even watched all of Korra.

With more people practicing and developing a technique, teaching it also becomes more advanced. I think it is plausible that they have found ways to teach lightning bending in a way that makes it possible for anyone talented enough to give it a go.

korra is bad.

There was the crime boss, Lightning Bolt Zolt and Mako who was the underling i was thinking off. Mako learned it from them, and he was primarily doing odd jobs for them and got out no problem, so he can't have been that high ranking among them.

>I think it is plausible that they have found ways to teach lightning bending in a way that makes it possible for anyone talented enough to give it a go.
I think that's where we disagree then. Because nothing to me makes it plausible that it would get out from the royal family (and maybe a select few other nobles) or become easier to do even with more exposure. Some things, and especially clarity of mind, is hard to learn and takes a long time to do if you're even able to do. Like I probably wouldn't have minded much if it had been a military technique used by officers and such, but in an assembly line? It's just too far removed from the concept of lightning bending for me.

Also it is where metal bending and lightning bending differ. Since lightning is primarily mental/spiritual whereas metal is material and understanding. I don't have a problem seeing the knowledge that metal is bendable spread out into the world. But actually metal bending is the one considered rare and hard to learn. "only 1 in a 100 earthbenders" i believe Bolin says. Whereas we hear nothing about lightning bending being hard, despite it should be harder even than metal bending.

>jackie_chan_wtf.jpg
The whole point of Korra (the character) is being opposite-Aang: gender, age, temperament, bending abilities etc. She can't airbend, because Aang is in tune with himself philosophical/spiritual mastery and whatnot, so she can't be.
Aang's fight is without. Stop the the Fire Lord.
Korra's fight is within. Master your feelings.

Forgot Iroh jr, i think he had lightning too, but he was a general in the army and royalty so it's not really a problem imo.

Which would be fine desu if Korra had to deal with mastering her feelings and not confront someone outside herself all the time.

And Korra is a shitty unlikable character. Yes. I understand the puddle deep symbolism. No, they didn’t write it well.

Korra is just a piece of shit, you can write a character who’s troubled without just making them a raging faggot. They did that with Zuko and he was much better written. They simply failed to write Korra well. The show and especially the character.

Just like Aang never had problems with earthbending or the eventuality of killing Ozai.

One was actually written well and we could sympathize with Aang’s troubles. Korra is wrong but the show goes out of its way to make her right and for people to like her despite her being wrong. Bolin just gets shit on the whole show even though he’s the only sensible one.

ORE
always ORE

I didn't set up that restriction, the user did.

The main difference is that Aang had to do both and it was written decently. Korra doesn't have to confront and master her feelings about things, because a villain conviniently shows op to become an external problem that needs fixing. And after he's defeated we have to pretend korra overcame her mental problem, which she didn't..

In the second season, when Korra is lead to the portal thing and her first move is to punch it, I quite watching the series for a few months.

Why'd you go back?

I heard the season 3 badguy was pretty cool

How'd you like him and his gang? I thought it was pretty cool to see a not so pacifist airbending philosophy, and just some awesome airbending fights in general.

Pretty much. I think them getting offed was a pity.

It'd have been great if they knew ahead of time that they were having multiple seasons, so you could have longer arcs. I mentioned this in a Korra thread before, but it'd have been nice if it was about Republic City, and what sort of ideals/political systems are fighting over it.

Season 1 - communism
Season 2 - theocracy (tribalism? naturalism?)
Season 3 - anarchy
Season 4 - fascism

Having 4 season with these groups fighting with Korra and each other would have been amazing.

Instead we get pink spirit bunnies.

>Korra's fight is within. Master your feelings.
They could have copy pasted Zhuko's story and changed the details and it would have worked better because Zhuko actually becomes likeable instead of being a cunt throughout the entire show

Actually, that would have been great.

I agree, but i highly doubt it was time constraint that was the issue. There was a lot of filler content in the season, that could have gone towards exploring those ideologies. For example pro-bending, or the varrick plot in book 2 (though it was amusing).

>The whole point of Korra (the character) is being opposite-Aang

>"See this character that people like? I want the exact opposite of that."
>"A character that people don't like?"

>"Exactly."

So, in terms of animation and especially fight choreography, Korra is an amazing feat for western TV. It just so happens to be bad in every other conceivable way.

The characters are flat and underdeveloped, and the show treats them as though they've learned and change while having them NEVER LEARN OR CHANGE. This is especially jarring with Korra herself, who is not a bad concept character (i.e. Avatar whose emotional and social growth was stunted by isolation, and whose self-worth is predicated on being the Avatar), but who manages to be routinely unlikable with no sign of growth or change throughout her show. Many of the characters are flat-out unnecessary, to the point where I would forget they exist existed when they weren't onscreen - like Asami or Meelo. Whenever characters seem like they might grow, a deus ex machine shows up to hand them whatever they need.

The internal logic of the show was faulty. Amon uses bloodbending to block people's inner pathways and stop them bending? Hmm, okay, sure... so why the fuck can spiritbending fix this? Unalaq states, and it is shown, that he can't force the spirit portals open with bending, and thus needs Korra as a connection to the spirit world... but when he can't get her, he just uses bending to tear it open? The show is full of shit like this. Both character logic and consistent logic in general is thrown aside in favour of what's necessary for the plot to move forward.

And then there's how the series completely brutalizes and fucks up the very core concept of the Avatar, by introducing a western god/satan dichotomy and making the Avatar just a soul being ridden by a big spirit.

Nah, ignore this. E;R makes a few good criticisms, but unfortunately he's one of those people that sees gender politics literally everywhere. In reality, the problem with Korra was just bad writing. The only shit like that was the ending, which feels tacked on because it is tacked on, as a shield against criticism.

>So, in terms of animation and especially fight choreography, Korra is an amazing feat for western TV.

Animated mostly in Korea.

Yep, it's still pretty incredible that it happened. American TV has been set against the idea of putting that much effort into action in cartoons for a long, long time.

Something I'd like to add: LoK also has the composition problems of the Star Wars prequels. Flat angles of characters talking in corridors and council rooms take up a shocking amount of the runtime.

Mutants & Masterminds.

That's even dumber and never explained.

I dislike it because season 1-2 are awful. The animation is great, but the story and characters are truly awful.

Pathfinder.

>Korra's fight is within. Master your feelings.

and the series does fuck all about exploring those themes, with korra's problems being solved by other people, deus ex machina, or literally not being solved at all.

Eh, I can be more forgiving about the fluctuating quality after season 1 because of unreliable ratings, because the network changed it's time slot every other episode.

But in the end, Korra amounts to a lot of wasted potential. The first three episodes of season 1 were fantastic, and bespoke of a great arc to come, but then they failed to follow up. Earth brother get's kidnapped, needs to be rescued, both brothers and korra grow from that experience. That leads into a mirrored arc later, in which earth brother mans up and saves the day, rescuing fire brother. Instead earth brother remains completely useless until, what the third season when he gets lava bending? Also, they add in Zuko's grandson as an admiral for literally no reason other then to wank more existing characters. The cast was broad enough at that point, and his whole role could have been easily filled by existing characters. It also irritated me that they replaced all the martial art bending forms with literally just boxing, but I have to admit, it does match the theme of modernization and shifting culture.

Season 2 was a shit show, but had a few nice fights, and I actually enjoyed the movie propaganda bit. Killing off the avatar history was a big mistake, because the flashbacks of the adult crew from avatar were nice.

I like season 3, sue me. Could have used less focus on Aang's other kids, though.

Season 4 was another shitshow. metal hitler could have been good, but she gets beaten with "You have daddy issues" "What? no I don't, that's dumb." "Yes you do!" "Oh shit your right" And korra was literally learned nothing by this point about not being a dipshit, negating any development she should have had from the end of the first season and season 2. Also bitter that we never got the Democratically Elected Lavalord. Also giant platinum mech as tall as a literal fucking skyscraper out of nowhere was dumb.

Because it came out of nowhere and Asami was a non-character.