/awg/ Alternative Wargames General

Confrontation returns edition.

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks, or people's homebrew wargames. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Ghost Archipelago, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, Beyond the Gates of Antares, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last Thread
→ #

Four factions have been shown off for the Confrontation Classic box. First is the Wolfen.

Other urls found in this thread:

shop.ramshacklegames.co.uk/index.php?id_product=428&id_product_attribute=0&rewrite=20mm-Car-Conversion-sets&controller=product
youtube.com/watch?v=9pVdCCe7cLQ&t=1m40s
youtu.be/9pVdCCe7cLQ?t=9m8s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

And some Gobbos.

>58231450
Repeating my inquiry after big fat bipedal lizard minoatures

And gotta have the best faction.

And lastly the Dirz.

Not really Minotaurs, but have you checked out some of Reaper's stuff for their Reptua faction? They've got a good number of big dudes in there.

>None of the big clones
Kinda disappointing.

they'll probably do the big stuff as add-ons

Damn, I vaguely remember when this thing died first time.

These selections seem so abritrary and shit.

Why the 1 random preatorian. Why no samurai gobbos (the best ones), they even picked the most bog standard dirz guys.

I agree. The Griffin selection seems sort of weak. The Wolfen also seems a bit off.

I am hoping that Acheron and both of the Dwarf factions get better picks. I just want the demon tower to be back in production. They did confirm that Cadwallon would be part of the box as well, so I will have to see what they offer.

I hope that there are actually add-ons, as from what it sounds like we are mostly just getting the big box. It is sad in a way that they are cooperating with Cadwallon miniatures, so we can't just nab recasts of specific models anymore.

I meant Lizardmen. Big, fat lizardmen. Jesus, what was that autocorrecture?

@LBM, I'm the guy who was giving you BMG advice the last couple of days, missed the chance to reply to what you bought. Gordon's box is ridiculously good, and that Green Arrow is a great addon to it. You've got some solid ranged threat in there, I'd recommend adding on the 2 packs of policemen, especially the one with the female cop, and the Arkham Guard set. Gives you some more bodies that don't cost funding, some more arrests if you knock things out (Green Arrow can hold his own as a melee attacker if you buy his $50 funding upgrade) and it gives you a Batman for if you want to go that way.

You could also pick up the Commissioner Loeb box, because him and Branden (also in that box) work for Organised Crime and let you take the cops in there too (for Black Mask potentially)

So will we get Sasia or is she just in the picutre just because?

Ophidians?

I'm totally new to Confrontation and this kickstarter has me interested in the fluff.

I seriously hope they'll ship to Canada at a reasonable price. I want to get into the setting but if it's too expensive I'll have to pass

AT-43 reboot when?

I know that pain all to well. Check out some of Dealer's stuff. I was debating grabbing some to use as a Warband is Ghost Archipelago.

I just love this big bastard here.

I plan to grab the new Batman starter tobget the Arkham guys, I'll also grab the cops, the metal Gordon starter and the Loeb starter tobget more SWAT goodness. Also plan to grab QRT.

Sadly a lot of stuff is out of stock most places I can find. I was looking at free agents for them and I can toss in Rebirth Batgirl to get to exactly 350 rep.

And I can run a Green Arrow lead crew in thr future, too, now which makes me happy.

So let me ask you this: Nightwing. Is it worth getting the AK one, or is the new resin one basically the same, but less expensive to my wallet and a newer sculpt? Or is he flat out better?

My LGS also has Katana (the good one, not the movie one) and I noticed she can run Brave and Bold so I may grab her down the line as well for some melee fun times.

>It is sad in a way that they are cooperating with Cadwallon miniatures, so we can't just nab recasts of specific models anymore.
fucking what

well fuck supporting this in that case, I'm sure prices for the minis will go up as well

>Dear Customers!
We want to inform you that our website temporarily stops selling all old Rakcham Confrontation miniatures until this issue will be settled with the right-holders from Sans Detour. We are very grateful to everyone who has been with us for all these years. Hope we`ll be with you soon again.
wow you weren't joking

what a bunch of greasy jews

Help me tg, you're my only hope.
What would you fine gentlemen think would be the best way to complete this list? I want it to be fairly TAC, and I'm afraid it's lacking in AT. Maybe a pair of rocketgun dragonbikes would suffice? Or maybe cut some powers and add a squad of Armoured Chasseurs with rocket launcher(s)?

> Confrontation returns edition.
How many times has it died yet? I think me and my poor devourers missed at least an edition.

Forgot to say list it's for Warzone Resurrection.
Furthermore, does anyone know if Heal stacks? What happens should I cast Sai no Kawa on a unit of Ebon Guards?

Anyone have the frostgrave expansions?

Can't comment on the list, just that I watched the GMG Warzone battle report he just put up, and the way Ash pronounces Mishima in it drives me nuts.

Looks like a fairly solid list, but my knowledge of Mishima isn't very in depth. I do know that it looks a little light on taking on armor.

That may just be the Bauhauser in me speaking, though, because I do love me some rocket launchers.

How is he pronouncing it?

not the ones that were asked for in the last thread.

If people were asking for them, since I want them anyway I might blow some money and share them for you guys.

Mish-ma.

Why do people like Mantic's zombies so much? What's so good about them?

They are very cheap and better looking that the GW ones. Plenty of games use 28mm zombies, so having a few on hand just in case is nice.

second

Since when does Mantic have half-elves?

When Vanguard hits, along with the next proper KoW book which should have rules for them.

if only they had models worth buying

I don't understand why their stuff is so shit

They don't even make half elf models yet. I think that they are supposed to come out in November. In Kickstarter time expect that to be next March.

They cut a lot of corners, they want to be the discount warhammer, so they pay ex-gw sculptors a lot less than gw pays and while they have some cool models a lot of their stuff is just garbage.

The elves are unreasonably bad. The ogres are a mockery. People hold their undead range up on a pedestal but a lot of it is trash too, yes the GW zombies are 20 years old and offensively bad that they're not only on shelves but got a new box to sit on the shelves in.

But goddamn there are so many amazing fantasy models I don't get why anyone would buy mantic or reaper.

Reaper Bones are not miniatures, fucking board game pieces with their bendy rubber shit

As with Reaper they go for the audience that doesn't really care about quality. For your average dudebro who will use them to play D&D 5E without even painting them it pans out well. But I have to agree with , there are so many companies that make legitimately good fantasy minis these days that I don't think that there is a huge reason to go for them.

>while they have some cool models
Such as?

The zombies aren't bad, they're not the best on the market but they're pretty good for how cheap they are

Does anyone use shop.ramshacklegames.co.uk/index.php?id_product=428&id_product_attribute=0&rewrite=20mm-Car-Conversion-sets&controller=product

With any of the vehicle combat games that are out there?

The space dwarfs and corporation goons from their new warpath range look nice enough, and the new baesileans or whatever they're called are looking alright for the KoW Vanguard range, the new battle nuns are looking leagues better than the first run shit. But honestly there just isn't much worth having from their ranges. The terrain is nice, though it lacks any sort of intructions in the box, bought a ruined city box on discount at a con and I'm feeling overwhelmed already.

I just hope that Mid-Nor has a good model selection.

Calm down user, you are dropping spaghetti everywhere again.

I have their Ogres and I like them, but of course to each their own. I get why some people don't like them, but I prefer them GW's fugly ads fat Mongolian wannabes with zero posing options.

Their zombies are considered good because they look good, especially compared to GW and their train wrecks. The new Baselian stuff is looking good and I enjoy their Goblins, too.

But again, to each their own. Everyone is entitled to their opinion when it comes to miniatures.

And to nobody's surprise, Palladium announced they can't fulfill RRT Wave 2. And now they're offering people to replace anything from Wave 2 with stuff from Wave 1, as long as those people then pay for shipping.

So I'm out some cash on that.

Should I add maybe some doomtroopers or a cartel agent to boost anti tank?
Max Steiner comes to mind, as Isaac Alfreds, even though they offer a bit of light anti tank fire. Maybe McBride, although he has to be in b2b with those vehicles. I was toying with the idea of taking John Baptiste and a unit of heretics, give them both Banishment of Steel from Algeroth's powers and try to lower armour enough to do the trick, but I'm not sure it would help against any self-respecting vehicle, to be honest.

I'm not bothered in the slightest, I'm afraid. I pronounce it in the same way, and really, it doesn't matter if someone accidentally mispronounces the name of something from the background of the game.

Aw hell, misquoted the second part. It was meant for:

What’s wrong with the GW zombies? I always thought they were pretty alright, but I never had much exposure

Well like I said: I don't know Mishima too well. Not sure what sort of dedicated anti-armor options they have outside the rocket launcher the Meka can take.

But...there's another I in there.

They're just ugly as sin. They don't look scary, they look sorta feely. And the giant goody hands that GW models tend to have don't help.

And they will be shit. Honestly, I can't understand it, the concept designs are usually pretty good but the end result always looks like they outsourced it to s student and cast it in China. it can't be that hard to find half decent sculptors and mould makers surely?

> awful space dwarfs and iron man space marines
> listing two of the worst ranges

He's not wrong though.

Entorcers are great. So are the Dreadball chicks. I really like their goblins and the Abyssals also look pretty okay to good.
It's been a slow ascent for them and I'm looking forward to an Elf, Dwarf and Orc revamp. I like the ideas behind them, bit not the execution.

Mishimanon here, can I ask you your list? I always enjoy reading what other players can come up with by mixing unit selection and doctrines in Bauhaus' case.

Will the Devourers still be in the game? I still have all my old models from over a decade ago.

Reasonably cheap and not too fiddly to assemble. Bulk zombies without excessive detail are a godsend.

YES
YES
Hope they will have competent peoples on the background

If we're going to start sharing lists I'm going to jump in too, and no one can stop me! Here's a thousand points of Ilian. I call this list "Purgatori's Quest".

Purgatori on her quest for godhood has traveled between realities the the Nexus of All Things in search of artifacts, power and knowledge to assist her ascendancy. Taking with her a cohort of her most vicious and sexy followers she's found herself in the Mutant Chronicles universe where the whispers of Ilian and the power of the Dark Symmetry have ensnared the Goddess-to-Be's attention.

Characters:
Purgatori, Nepharite of Ilian; Dancing on the Voids Razored Edge, Foul Lust. 105
High Templar; Soulwither. 60
High Templar; Soulwither. 60

Troops:
Heretics; 5 Heretics, Initiate with Void Portal. 60
Heretics; 5 Heretics, Initiate with Void Portal. 60
Templar's; 6 Templar's, Icon of Ilian, 2 Void Canons. 203
Templar's; 6 Templar's, Icon of Ilian, 2 Void Canons. 203

Monster/Light Vehicle:
Wild Huntsmen of Ilian; 3 Wild Huntsmen. 255

Total: 1006
Model count: 28
I'm 6 points over and don't know what to shave off to meet target. Maybe a soul wither from one of the high templar's? I dunno, I'll figure something out

AK Nightwing and resin Nightwing are both good, it's the other one I wouldn't get now. AK is better running a crew (as he becomes a leader) but can't be taken with Gordon leading because of it. He's also super reliable at dodging bullets because he needs 4 or less with rerolls, while the resin one messes with the pre game stuff a bit more (searcher) and has different, but not better or worse, defences against guns (street guy) with some sneaky movement tricks (combat flip)

Basically, both are very good in their own way, so get what you want for them (I have both, and love them to pieces). All the other boxes you mentioned are very good, especially the QRT (QRT2 and Lerida make appearances in almost all my lists)

Any Word on ophidians? They got a great Theme, there was some new artwork for them from rodrigo Vega but idk how that relates to anything

>And the giant goody hands that GW models tend to have don't help.
Zombies were probably the most egregious case of the giant hands anywhere in GW's back catalog.

>the new battle nuns
they're resculpting those things? Good thing, too, the old ones were turrible.

Any news on a New Reaper or Raging heroes kickstarter?

The kickstarter starts or ends on april

Link me to the their set

>Space nuns

What?

Hope the new ones are all atractive.
Cuteness is also welcome.

Would buy for $25-30.
How much is it?

40 for 35-40 usd

Their more recent models have been solid though. Look at the hard plastic Warpath stuff for instance. They stopped making stuff in China years ago.

The backstory is atrocious, is it in any way correlated to a comic book character of the same name?

The list seems solid enough, but I feel it may have some problems against heavy vehicles and hordes. To remedy I would shave off both a squad of heretics and a high templar, add a 4 man unit of children with hellfire carronade, change foul lust for (Algeroth's) Blindness, and give the remaining High Templar Dark masquerade instead of soulwither.

What models are you using for this list?

There will all the factions and some new ones, Ophidians included. But it will all be in 2019.
I hope they reveal something new with Confrontation classic, but I'm quite sceptic.

I love their mutated goblins.

Kangz 'n shit of War

Gaslands uses those kits if you don't make your own from bits. Also some guys on Facebook make kits for gaslands

Is confrontation currently on Kickstarter? Their website is the worst design I have ever seen.

No. All the material says that it will be on their in April.

>Why do people like Mantic's zombies so much?
cause they look good and are pretty cheap.
Most other zombie minis that don't look like complete shit are metal, which tends to be more expensive.

I tend to go Zombicide for my zombie needs, although I've yet to try those from Project Z.

Frenchy here, new Confrontation video is out and I noticed some subtle hints they dropped about the future of the Confrontation kickstarter project

Source:
youtube.com/watch?v=9pVdCCe7cLQ&t=1m40s

>Why plastic over metal or resin?
He says it would cost too much to manufacture and ship to the 4 corners of the world. He hints that if the kickstarter managed to be a success and they had to start making 200-300 figures instead to meet the demands, metal would be unfeasible (he jokes that 200-300 figures could be a possibility – depends on kickstarter support).

Resin he says would have taken them another approx. 4 years to mould and manufacture. He says plastic is best – that the new batch will have the bodies of the figures made of plastic with swords and weaponry being a harder plastic.

>Why one big box?
He says he wants new people who've never played Confrontation before to have a giant box full of miniatures as a fun product. He also wants each of the factions to be playable from the box, giving players a feel for what Confrontation was all about back in 'the golden era'.

They'll be including dice, rulers, game aids, "decorations" & "plateau de jeux" (which could be interpreted as anything from scenery to a gaming mat, he was kinda vague). They want everything in one box, playable using the contents within.

(1/2)

>How long until players get the game into their hands?
They want to launch the kickstarter within the month of April and have the product shipped by 2019. If the kickstarter becomes a huge success, they will delay the game in accordance to the success to consider things like stretch goals, increasing production values, etc...

>What even is Confrontation Resurrection?
They want to give the buyers of the Classic box a new way to play with new rules.

>It's been practically 20 years since the game came out, what new modern game design are we to expect from Confrontation Resurrection?
>"Like its in vogue to have wargames today featuring individual player activation phases"
>Confrontation guy says "gross"
He says they care more about expanding the universe, particularly Rag'narok. He wants to explain what is Rag'narok's new lore significance on the game with special care not to retcon any factions rules wise.

He says it's going to be 4.0 rules. Still small skirmishes and 10~ model warbands. Fast, nervous, easy gameplay. Keeping the old unit activation mechanics because "it aint broke". Slight changes to magic and miracles. Also, a new gameplay mechanic (but no details were given).

>Any chance at getting the old Rakham guys back?
Paraphrasing:
'Sans Detour are all big fans of the game as are our graphics team. We're trying to persuade some old-guard Rakham guys to come work with us, but nothing so far'

(2/2)

>have the product shipped by 2019
Meant to say
>have the product shipped within 2019

I like how they are going for full on post apocalyptic fantasy, rather than going full retard ala AoS.

So the Classic models are going to be plastic as well? I wonder if they can capture detail as well as the metal ones did. I have enough figures to make comparisons.

My guess is the new mechanic is going to be deeply tied to the post apocalypse theme – probably also tied to faction identities since he went on a rant about companies discontinuing factions – saying 'every faction will show up post-rag'narok in some shape or form. He doesn't want fan fav champions to be killed due to the apocalypse.

Same here, I'm going to miss the satisfying weighty clunk to them. He said technology has advanced for plastics the past 20 years. I have no idea what that means in terms of detail keepings.

I would need to look over the doctrines again, and double check all the points to see what they got changed to. But basically my collection consists of

Max Steiner
Draken
10 Hussars (1 LMG and 1 Rocket)
10 Mortants (2 Pukers)
5 Venusian Rangers
1 Vulkan Battlesuit

I need to get more stuff, but nobody around me seems to play.

>AK is better running a crew (as he becomes a leader) but can't be taken with Gordon leading because of it.
I saw that in his rules, but Hero Builderbstill lets me take him as a sidekick with Gordon. Must be an error (it also let me take Lt. Gordon with Commish Gordon at one point but it looks like that got fixed).

I'll probably grab both then at some point, but if I really can't use AK as a sidekick then I'll grab the new resin one first.

I believe they said all 16 factions will be in this new box.

Yep, see picture for the new model from Vangaurd.

Starts in April.

I'd have to see more, but they don't look half bad at first sight, ESPECIALLY considering how legendarily terrible Mantic's studio painters are. Depends on the price, too.
But seriously, when the fuck are they finally going to hire a world class painter or two? Their shit would look a billion times better right out of the gate.

kind user

Which expansions are needed? I saw the lich lord one is in the OP

>>"Like its in vogue to have wargames today featuring individual player activation phases"
>>Confrontation guy says "gross"
Oh no.
But I don't even know what *exactly* is meant by "individual player activation phases", so, meh. Alt Unit Activation?

What was the most recent version's activation mechanic? Wasn't it some pile of cards representing the units in the game and you just drew off it?

Needs more Rangers. And more artillery. And more Juggernauts, but the Vulkan is ok there I guess.

Speaking of, the Lich Lord expansion is pretty underwhelming. +10 Will and +5 Health maximum? Not worth the risk

Lich Lord is the one I have, only one Im after is the Folio,

about to start a campaign from it soon, see how it goes

Thanks for the translation.

I'm perplexed by the plastic choice.
I'm not an expert, but I've always thought metal is the cheapest, resin is some sort of middle ground and plastic kit like the Warhammer ones are horribly pricey. I hope they will not choose some sort of cheap plastic.

Plastic has high startup costs for molds, 10s of K up, but after that, it's pence for the plastic.

I couldn't translate word-for-word what they were riffing about, they actually cut out part of the interview immediately after he says gross:

youtu.be/9pVdCCe7cLQ?t=9m8s
>@00:09:30

To his credit, he explains afterwards how they kept the activation mechanics the same as 3.5 because "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", which if you remember was two stacked pile of cards that both players revealed one at a time in a sort of shared activation phase.

No problem, they're doing a shitty job keeping people informed about this thing

Anyone use any of Rebel Minis rulesets? I want their minis I just want good rules for a 15mm Sci fi war game

The folio is everything except maze of malcor and ulterior motives right? and the Matt ward book but I don't think that counts