That GM / That Guy Hate thread

Vent it all out!

>DM is very aggressively progressive and narcissistic.
>I'm pretty ambivalent to most of it, but have limits.
>Get told most of my views IRL are the views of idiots indirectly all the time.
>Game starts; "Guys, Let me start with...."
>Dietary restriction questions.
>Preferred Pronouns.
>Trigger Warning Alerts.
>Zero tolerance for anything personally offensive to DM being said or implied.
>No racism, homophobia IC or OOC, even game races seems to be pushing it.
>Feel like I'm going to get a lecture if my Orc Barbarian want's to expand his tribes borders and become a warlord as it's not humane enough and also advocates colonialism.
>Despite that being my approved characters backstory.
>Every human male NPC is a whiny punk (literally either subservient to powerful women or a villain if they are white).
>Every female NPC of any race is an articulate paragon of success and power.
>Every non-human male NPC is a "powerful" genre subverting trope in personality.
>Almost always gay, bi, or trans.
>Players craft plans IC to avoid combat, enemies, detection but they immediately fail or seem to require a ridiculous sudden DC.
>Entire sessions dedicated to the NPC factions bullshit and posturing, with minimal player input.
>Entire sessions then follow on single PC's and have everyone else sitting there doing nothing.
>World is so poorly fleshed out despite being a railroading ripoff of several JRPGs, random shit appears in a steady trickle to 'flesh out the world'.
>Personal political views of the DM becoming more apparent in game.
>Also get FB messages and lectures about their non-game related views.
>"Everything I say is enlightened, everyone else is an idiot, especially white men" says the privileged white guy.

Fuck me man, I just want out at this point but I've been in this game nearly a year now and its what my group is going with. But I'm about at my limit.

>I'll take "shit that didn't happen" for 500€, Jim.

Also;
>Told I couldn't be a Cleric or Paladin because they didn't know if us lowly (yet more highly educated on average) players could grasp how their Gods worked in this setting.

I'm not lying. I hit the jackpot. This DM is the apex of every stereotype of an SJW I've ever seen.
I think it doesn't help that this person is only 20 and thinks they have the whole world figured out.

Sure he is, and traps aren't gay

Trap is a slur that leads to the murder of Trans people and is not allowed at the table.
This has been referenced as a point of order to the group via tagged posts on the DM's facebook.
>TFW group is so shitty people don't believe you but you can't post specific storylines because DM's friends visit Veeky Forums too.

>find out GM is a convicted rapist
>briefly consider going to session two since no one else runs Gammaworld

you win Veeky Forums

You niggers don't know just how common this is until you actually go out and see it.

Helps that progressive types have recently been inroading on tabletop at an alarming pace.

Well I suggest fire, lots of fire. Start by telling more stories and end by telling your dm to fuck off with every slur in the big book o racism.

I'm considered pretty progressive by my group, but the dirty secret is I find hating people based on race, gender or sexuality too easy. So it just looks that way.

I'll raise you 2K since this is hilariously bad bait.

Not him but traps aren't gay man.

Oh fuck I haven't played Gammaworld in years. I'd love to find someone that runs that shit.

Does it matter whether or not traps are gay? If he/she's a qt bone down yo

john is that you?
I'm so telling david about this!!!11!

You are a man of taste and integrity. Straight/Gay people don't understand the wonders of "if its hot, I'll fuck it" as a sexuality

But user, traps *aren't* gay, they look like women!

Good thing I am my own GM, and if you can't have some fantasy racism, mutilation and horror, I might be the wrong GM for you.

Also still poor bait, I visit a rather large rig community regularly and the worst thing we had was a special snowflake tranny.
Roll 20 is a cess pool tho.

Thanks senpai. Having a type and not caring about what's between the legs does wonders.

Pics or didn't happen,
who cares if your group sees it, the situation seems to be beyond salvageable anyway.

If they'd get it from a storytime, why wouldn't they get it from this clearly not bait? Furthermore, why would you give a shit? What's worth salvaging about this scenario?

I have been playing tabletop for years and haven't seen this more than once, maybe twice

How long did you stay? I had a group that was becoming like this. At first it wasn't to bad but as the weeks went by more and more political and the players became more power hungry without a care for RP or the world and the GM would nuke anybody that had a disagreement with him or just didn't like the character they were playing as.

The superior sexuality
A shame nobody would ever fuck me anyway, feels bad

you took the stereotype of a redditfag and put a DM hat on it, with a couple of generic Veeky Forums-related complaints thrown in.

2/10 completely implausible would not discuss

He didn't stay because it never happened

fuck me I'm stupid, you said you stayed for about a year

I shut down most political discussion at the table.
That said, I do have politics within my game as seen fit and reasonable, and I see no reason not to.
Conflicts are often between people with a different idea, and there is no reason to excise that.

I will bump this completely legitimate and not totally made up thing that definitely happened and isn't just an excuse for OP to be an applesponge.

Pics or GTFO.

I get what you mean. I'm kinda a fat fuck but I've been having huge trouble losing weight because I'd rather die tomorrow than suffer for a year to feel better about myself. feelsbadman

I call upon one of the oldest laws or culture carried and got carried by for generations

PICS OR DIDN'T HAPPEN

While I know people like this that exist, I'm quite doubtful this ever happened... Why do you keep playing with them?

I bet you're not as bad looking as you think, user. You need to improve your self worth somehow, and only then will you find the willpower to improve yourself

Oh yeah, I'm aware. I have a lot of issues with fucked brain chemistry that I'm still looking for the right meds to deal with. It's like, objectively I know I'm actually a fun person to be around, considerate, and not that bad looking for a fat guy. But thanks to muh brain, I hate myself and am unable to think about anything in a non-negative way so I'm just stuck in a pit. It's infuriating.

I do appreciate you saying so, though. It's nice to hear, user, thanks.

I feel you, user. If you want to talk or something, let me know. I might be able to help

Look OP, I'll believe you if you can at least back up the facebook stuff. Bonus points if it refers to in game actions.

I really appreciate that offer but I don't want to drag other people down with my shit. I have lots of resources thanks to my family to get this fixed, regularly see a therapist, tried ECT, ect. It's just nothing has worked so far.
I do really appreciate the offer though. It's touching that someone that doesn't know me at all is kind enough to make it.

>Gotta go assault a fort controlled by PCs turned evil
>There's a secret entrance into it through the underdark but the journey will take two months
>The entrance to the underdark is in some super cool bar
>We go to the bar and are suitably impressed and then get under way.
>The session ends.
>Next session we're told it took two months of travel through the underdark but he's gonna skip all that.
>Also, the time we spent in the underdark caused us to gain two levels.

I made the offer because I care about other anons. I know what you're feeling and nobody deserves to feel like that. Best of luck, user.

How do you feel about convicted rapists?

Well, if you're willing to listen to me vent occasionally, I can add you on discord or something. Guess I'm wary about it because I'm burned out.

>Runs D&D
>Creates own setting
>Changes from the "usual" D&D cosmology
>Does not particularly explain his differences from the standard planar landscape, and the relationship between deities and various outsiders.
>Mostly just yells at players for being stupid and "not getting it" when they mistake something.

My discord is Walrus#4790, if you want to talk

Added. Thanks man, though not sure how much of a conversationalist I'll be.

Sounds like my DM being inconsistent then punishing us but honestly I think he just wants to punish us for fun.
>One game says that you can't use zone of truth for a justice trial
>Another game he runs he does cast zone of truth and changes the rules of how it works
>I just cast it away as different settings
>He then goes on to explain in one game that the gods can not interfere with the realm of the mortals
>In the same game last season a god wipes out half the party and kills an entire country over a unrelated PC saying something less then nice about a god

If anything, OP is describing Critical Role

Why are people who browse tumblr getting involved in rpgs?

No, he really is consistent about it, and I've played with him for long enough to pick up some of his quirks, but he's just not good at explaining things like

>Angels are supernatural servants of Gods, nothing more, nothing less. Evil Gods have evil angels. If an angel of Azash or something shows up, run and hide, he's not your friend.

Have you considered not playing with a walking whine sound?

You think OP is real?

He could be bullshitting, but he seems sincere, and I know the SJW stereotype exists, even if it isn't as common as some would like to have you believe.

Be me in 1990s

>bandit who waylaid us yields. I coup de gras. The whole table flips a shit like I actually put a man down.

>DM wants to make my alignment evil. Other players say their characters wouldn't adventure with me.

But he would have taken everything and left us to die. We're only alive bc we are strong. Letting him live to do it to someone weaker is passing a death sentence on the weaker innocent.

>You're either stupid or crazy user. Your character lets him live.

We're done here. I get up to leave.

>Wait you'll break the game. Can't you just cooperate (ie. let us play for you)

Yeah this shit has been coming for a long time. I believe everything in the OP.

Learn to DM faggot. If you wanna have nice games you gotta work for them.

>volunteering to be the forever DM
user...

Better than playing games you don't enjoy desu

Besides it's fun to DM if you know your group well.

>Get a new room mate
>He is a 'Veteran' D&D player. Moves in with a shitload of rulebooks, miniatures, battle mats, and really cheap replica battle axes and swords
>He'll talk for 3-4 hours straight about his railroading homebrew D&D game that's really more about having his players watch his own story come to life rather than interacting in any way with a real world.
>Any time a player wants to do something cool, he always has some answer from a 1000 question questionaire as to why said NPC wouldn't let them do something cool
>Tries to seduce me to D&D by talking about a grand series of 3 campaigns with thousands of pages, encounters, bosses, etc.. That are all meticulously planned out
>None of these campaigns have happened yet, but he knows exactly what is going to happen on session 125.
>Instantly realize that all I would be doing by participating in his game is submitting myself to the most railroaded adventure of all time

I countered by saying that by being under my roof, he needed to play World of Darkness.

It's always refreshing to see people being nice to each other on Veeky Forums.

>Find out he's only been playing D&D for less than two years, but it's all he does for 3 days in a row- friday, saturday, sunday.
>He's a DM and a player, he's a player of OP's group
>The group allows no form of sexism, homophobia, racism, etc.. And all of the greatest NPC's, 'Guardians,' and great persons are all women
>Party interactions are all masturbation jokes, emasculating dick jokes, ERP between female and male party members with the least amusing sexual puns possible
>Paladins turned blue, wearing pink glow-in-the-dark shorts, Rangers who are PC's yet manage to be the children of immensely powerful dieties somehow (they are always the DM's own characters if they are the children of Gods)

So, I introduce him into World of Darkness.

>Hand him the V20 Rulebook, Lore of the Clans corebook, and tell him to go wild
>He tells me some character concepts, I tell him which Clan would best suit that
>Constantly tries to subvert it by choosing an archtype and then a clan which would make no sense for it.
>His clever concepts are a 'Pants stealing Ravnos,' Franken-Fran as a Toreador, or most originally, a Giovanni who runs a funeral parlor
>Session 1 hits, and he kills two blood-dolls and sinks a fucking scalpel into another coterie member inside of Elysium
>Doesn't understand why his character had to die
>Spends the next week asking a series of questions about another clan to make another character
>I hand him all the pages to review in the Corebook, Clanbook, and Bloodlines book, and hand him all three
>He tosses them to the side and plays 20 questions with me about the clan instead

This is fucking infuriating.

Did just make a bid on a Jeopardy question?

That's not how that game works. Is Jeopardy even on TV anymore? Does anyone even watch television anymore???

I think I might have been that GM.

>Start up a group in my university's roleplaying club.
>Fantasy setting, kind of low power, focused on intrigue, but more of an investigation bent than a GOT style shifting politics bent.
>They're looking into this one nobleman at the royal court, who has suspicious ties to a foreign government that their own country isn't too friendly with.
>Trying to find out exactly who he's selling state secrets too.
>Decide that the best way to do this is to arrange a meeting between him and his contact, while using a spell to essentially make a magical bug they can listen from.
>Of course, they need to get him to go along with the meeting as normal while wearing the proverbial wire.
>So they ransack his manor, trying to abduct his wife and exert leverage through her. This fails due to her bodyguards holding them off while she escapes, but they decide to just try bluffing, since the manor house has been smashed up, they'll just lie and say they have his wife. The bluff succeeds, for the moment.
>Cast the spell, lurk off in the shadows nearby that they actually don't need to do because the range of the listen spell is about a mile, and watch him go.
>Remember how I said they didn't actually secure the baron's wife?
>She shows up, because someone tried to abduct her earlier that day and she knows that her husband goes off to this embassy with some guards every week.
>Baron von Badguy immediately knows the balloon is up, shouts that there are spies on their meeting, and orders his guards and the guards of the contact badguy to seize the PCs.
>Stunned silence.
>I thought we had tricked him, DM!
>Yeah, you said the bluff roll worked!
>How is he doing this? You're railroading us!
>I imagine the babble of whining only lasted about 10 seconds or so, but it felt longer, and I closed down my screen, got my things, and left the table, but not before telling them that they're too stupid to play RPG's if they can't figure out cause and effect.

Grandpa, what's Jeopardy?

Bruh, if they visit Veeky Forums, your incredibly specific post probably tipped them off already

>Trap is a slur that leads to the murder of Trans people
See people call this bait but I know better. I know people who say this exact type of shit.

I know way more MtF girls that kind of to fully embrace/enjoy the term than I do dumblr sjws that hate it. Hell, I actually know trans girls irl that like it because of the cute anime connotations.

The problem is that I want to play too, and I can't DM for myself. If I could, I would.

Man it sure is great that I only play in session with my group of close friends who aren't sjw's and aren't triggered by "problematic" topics.

Trump supporters want so bad to be victimized

You are. You need to learn to improvise before you'll ever be any good.

but muh war on christmas

Traps aren't gay but they do some serious damage if you're not careful

>learn how to improvise
>players are still idiots who don't want their actions to have consequences
what now

The question I have is where the pcs readily identifiable?
In a kidnapping, especially of a VIP, it can be a host of people involved. Immediately pointing out the pcs seems a strong leap of faith, especially if he was wrong.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. The PC's went along with Baron Peltier when he was going to his meeting. They were hiding some 30 feet away in an alley, and Pelteir knew roughly where they were, because they had parted about 10 minutes ago.

Always lube properly, user

The better trolls are good at pretending to be sincere.

If you flip your shit like that, you're usually That Guy/GM, yeah.

You talk about it like adults. Maybe you need to run a less serious campaign, maybe they need to think things through better, maybe this isn't going to work out very well. But jumping straight to calling them retards is poor form.

Actually good advice.

Why don't we just skip to mordor after rivendell?
Kill your dm

You get banned in Warframe for referring to a certain frame as a trap, thanks to trannymods, so i believe you.

>my character was lied to about reason for doing quest
>out of character I know this lie but my character would have no reason of doubting what he was told
>trying to convince an NPC to help us out by explaining why we were doing quest
>DM makes me roll deception and refuses to let it be persuasion, a skill I have
It made no fucking sense to me or anyone else at the table and he was looking at us like we were loons.

>Your DM is literally failing an autistic test

Not the best, but I've got one.

>New-ish party, been playing for about two weeks, no flags so far
>GM has made-up 'riposte' mechanic, where you deal double damage to an enemy after successfully parrying them
>Parrying improves your armor, but if enemy still hits you through parry you lose your next attack
>Low level party, fighting goblins in a mine
>Playing crusader/paladin with chainmail and +1 2h sword
>Attacked by goblin's pet rat
>Parrytime.jpg
>Fail parry
>GM: Your sword breaks
>10lb. Rat > magical piece of steel that has killed dozens of monsters
>Procceed to get mobbed by rats and goblins, die.
>Party left with one healer and no front-line fighter.

Later he told me it was because I was doing 'too much damage' and it wasn't 'fair to the party' for me to do my goddamn job.

I had a GM who had to register as a sex offender because of something he did when he was 14 once. He asked everyone if we were over 18 during the first session.

Normally I'd call bullshit, but I recently had to sit through the hours of mandatory diversity and rape training in order to graduate.

Dude just dump it and find another group. Seriously roll 20 is a fucking miracle for not having to deal with Peasent. If you're a good player and a nice person you might make it into an in-house group but good luck with that, we hate outsiders and newcomers.

Find new players. Those people don't belong in this hobby.

This is kind of unfair, because you know how females can report you for as much as a glare and court will judge in their favour.

>This one guy in our group is that 'Chaotic stupid' guy
>Constantly gets his characters killed due to his dumb decisions.
>Sometimes takes other people's characters with his for 'shits and giggles'

>One game he rolls a rogue that constantly failed all his hide and move silent checks.
>Scouts ahead, of course fails his rolls.
>Runs into a hydra.
>Turns and runs, dies to attack of opportunity to all heads

>Another game he was running a warlock in a Warcraft rpg
>Fears an enemy and sends them running through a big castle
>Said npc aggros most of he castle including some wargens
>He ends up leaving the party to let them go ahead while he sleeps in a room
>He doesnt barricade the doors
>Gets swarmed and dies

>Another game he gets t 1 hp in a fight with a boss.(He's playing a mage)
>Fighter is next in line to go and in reach to feed him a potion
>He begs for any kind of divine intervention, despite us yelling at him.
>The dm brings in an evil god that makes him serve him for eternity, and then drains half our life to heal him before leaving.
>Everyone mad at him, as the boss ran on seeing said god and we got no loot.
>Later begs for his new evil god to save an npc that died
>God appears and tpks us in rediculous ways because of his time being wasted

Every sessions makes me hate him more.

>playing 4e
>roll up a sorcerer
>first combat sees some goblins in the water
>ask DM if I can electrocute them with my lightning spell
>"no user the power doesn't say you can do that"
>a pattern quickly emerges

Can't stand this one player but it seems near impossible to get rid of him
>Won't pay for uber/lyft to get there or money to buy food "cause I'm like broke", but has money to buy minis
>Nobody else in the group wants minis anyways, we play with some generic archers, spellcasters for them and dice on different numbers for enemies, but he can't just use his imagination like everyone else
>I run a fairly character driven game but he just plays generic samurai that came East to search for fallen master, virtually no personality, plays himself in fantasy form
>He tells me his master disappeared, I created this mini arc where he finds that his master died protecting an innocent bystander from being mugged, literally the most Good aligned shit I can think of
>In casual conversation mentions he doesn't think that was true, it was all lies, basically didn't like the outcome I wrote so he expects another story revolving his backstory, which I'd be okay with but he's incapable of role playing
>Constantly on phone but I'm okay with it because at least he shuts up
>Mentions every once in a while about wanting to DM, I offer to lend him my books so he can learn the rules and he's like: Nah I read like 2 pages in and couldn't focus
>I describe barmaids, military officers, one time a woman at her father's funeral
Is she hot? Get's asked like 1/3rd of the time even though nobody ever laughs and I physically cringe when he says it
>Their employer who's a big hard ass is too harsh on them one time so he opens up a bit emotionally, bard is super chipper and wants to hug hum, I say to roll Cha check for fun to see the outcome
>Player actually asks the player how big the bard's boobs are, even though she's never described the bard in a sexual manner before
>Players trying to solve the mystery of what happened to their potion salesman, the entire time he's trying to speed up the process so they can get to the fighting that's gonna happen in the next city they're going to
cont?

I had something like that happen.
I made a Paladin, told the party I'm making a Paladin and they will have to move their alignments 1or 2 squares. And I told they they would have to change to a RP style that fits an ADnD Paladin. They all agree and we make our Characters while I more clearly explain it to make sure.

Get to deep and they are the most evil cunts I've ever played with. Explain how using necromancy in ADnD is evil. Continue, That Guy has decided he will fight for the greater good using Evil Lich magic. Says I'm the That Guy because my character has a problem with it and I tried working and talking with him about it.

He got personally attached to his ideas of good necro but couldn't grasp that this was ADnD, Alignment isn't so arbritrary.

It's equinox right? I bet it's equinox

>Shit that didn't happen

Well she would look in the box of course.

It's Nezha, but it probably also applies to Equinox.

>DM adds home brew
>Homebrew is broken and doesn't work and makes the classes with a low level advantage have an even greater advantage.
>Nerfs it in retarded way by fucking the player that's using it.
KYDM.

>spend a whole year listening to the most stereotypical SJW bullshit
>no one calls the guy out
>no one even thinks that maybe you should just find another GM after the first couple of sessions
Things that definitely happened.

that last one sounds like a dickbag dm, not a that guy player.

unless the player controls the nature of the divine intervention, and chose evil god screws party.