Traits all your characters share

For me it's
>smokes

Pic related

Being a good person

Snobbery, aside from NPCs, I don't think I've ever played a fantasy character who wasn't snob towards the common folk. And I'm not talking about modern values vs medieval or fantasy ones, they just generally tend to either be asses towards commoners or go all in on the white man's burden thing.

Fuck you. I was going to use that image but Captcha wasn't working. What are the odds?

Anyway, I make characters who are disgusted by smokers.

They're all promiscuous and have a heart of gold.

Why do you hate being cool, user?

Wearing things they kill.
Even the good ones do it.
Mostly I just do it to satisfy my need to loot and to give myself short-term goals to accomplish.

>that guy who always has a character trying to get high

Hot blooded

They're all autistic

I like this just cause it gives your character an excuse to have a ton of accessories and garments all over them that don't do much more than look cool as fuck

I always like weird characters.
My last was a mantis samurai with four arms who was terrified of women because other mantis women are prone to eating the men alive after mating.
Good times.

Pretty much. It's a great way to separate your character from where they've started to where they end up.
Plus, it doesn't always need to be skin, it could be something like pieces of armor or flags or whatever.

Condescending and mildly air-headed.

Wide hips and thick thighs.

Even boys?

I'd feel weird about played the opposite gender. If I ever do, I might keep that trait for shits and giggles.

Napoleon complexes. All of 'em.

Depends on how wide you're talking, if they're full fridge body it wouldn't be too out of place and thick thighs are good on boys and girls.

Next time that question comes up make sure the answer is especially boys

Competitive and modest.

My current character idea is a mercenary who used to be a hard criminal sort, and one of the traits I wanna give him is just ransacking pieces of armor whenever he comes across it and strapping it to his body, so he is just this mishmash of armor bits that are held on by straps and string. Also collecting any weapons he finds to use later on, even if they are garbage.

But I adore the concept of a character that is just covered head to toe in the hides of countless monsters, with bits of horns and teeth and claws dangling as jewelry all over him, bits of antlers sticking out from atop, pieces of armor peeking out from beneath layers of skins and flags and banners hanging out from behind him like a porcupine

So far, all of them have been casters in some way (cleric, ranger, and bard) and most have eyepatches because I think they look cool.

Nice

Edginess.

Are those swords, or scepters? Because I love the idea of those being just giant, ornate swords.

That last bit is pretty much what my barbarian ended up being. Just a mountain woman covered in bones, scales, and pelts.

Sarcasm and one-liners

Sheathed Swords

They're in way to deep with all this weird shit. They keep going anyway, because someone needs to save the day.

Fucking sweet.

I love it. I am definitely keeping this concept on the back burner for whenever I get a chance.

Go for it, user, it's fun

Royalty, either...

>Aiming for it politically
>Children of rulers
>Concubine of a King
>Secretly slumming it

None, I'm always GM over 20 years so I'm always playing different kinds of people.

The rare times I play I guess I goof around a lot, (ironically?) but if the other person is a good GM, mm... I don't even know.

I like playing heroes...? But isn't that ... like, the point? hahaha So I don't know!

ESPECIALLY the boys

Team mom

They're all Orcs.

I tend to do this too, maybe it is a flaw as a player but I don't like characters that don't strongly believe in something, weather a religion or just "justice" in some vague form.

Big guys, even when I don't make them that way to begin with.

Impulsive. I just want the campaign to go fasterr

>someone actually types like this

My characters are always convinced that doing more than is necessary is absolutely necessary. Basically taking everything over-the-top.

Why play a campaign if you're just going to rush through it?

haha yup. I use 'reddit spacing' whatever that really means. I don't use reddit, but that's what they call it around Veeky Forums. I'm just super used to typing essays and things like that, so.. that's what happens!

Thoughtful, I'm always the one to suggest complex tactics; only for my party to overrule them and get everyone killed.

The spacing is the least of the things in these posts that make me want to hammer my eyes with a rusty sledge

Likes to cook. It's the one hobby I have irl that can brought into any setting

Tell me more.

lol, no joke, tell me what else bugs you about them, I'm curious now

my characters tend to want to collect and hoard certain objects

Loneliness.

I'm in a campaign to progress through the story and do cool shit

But cool shit means different things to different people. To my group, it means deliberating for twenty FUCKING minutes on if we should break open an urn

Part of that is due to expectations given to them by the GM.

Deliberating 20 mins on whether or not to break an urn is appropriate in a super tense horror game, but sometimes its boring as heck like you just said, and totally unnecessary cause you shouldn't die from such a low risk.

So the GM has to both A) make the game have the right amount of risk for it to be fun but also B) drop hints at the players just 'where' that line is, so they don't waste a ton of time on something with no payoff.

I sometimes just tell my players outright, hey you don't have to be so careful, remember you're heroes like in a movie or novel, go with the flow, there's usually good with the bad, and one set back is not the end of the game. (If its not a horror) telling them and then rewarding them for taking a chance is usually enough to encourage that attitude at the table, I think.

They're all left handed.

I eagerly await the day my foes look up in horror as a ball of pelts, metal plates and various beast baubles comes down upon them with two random ass swords and a dozen more strapped to their back

I'm pretty bad about this. In every game I play, scifi or fantasy or modern or whatever, I always play the same basic concept. A nice person who isn't combat orientated and generally gravitates towards the particular game's healing class, whatever that may be. Neutral good is alignments exist (or even if they don't). A few talking related talents/stats if those exist but doesn't usually like the spotlight though. Doesn't ask for much and is usually satisifed with intangible rewards like friends.

It's fun playing the same character a lot though, since you get to know what you kind of want to do already, and you get the explore each game system's methods for letting you do it.

Keep on keeping on user!

The longest char I ever played and still do from time to time is a healer, but with some fighting capability. I pretty much never use the fighting capability, most of her roleplay is political.

Investigating, being morale, like being a 'character' for others to enjoy interacting with, and only occassionally use my healing abilities if they're asked for.

But do a lot of roleplaying of her actual role as a class, being a priestess, she does priestess duties but more the political side of them. Like teaching others about her religion etc.

She's very playful.

It's rare to get players who want to play a straight up healer, I usually run games rather than play them so it would probably be nice to have more characters like yours more often, especially if you like to really ROLEplay.

The majority of players I get like hack and slash with just a little bit of puzzles, you know, just a basic challenge to go for, but definitely not too heavy on puzzles or that sort of thing and not heavy on talking their way through things, or bartering or using their 'roles' you know. Non-combat roles I mean.

Gotta be heroic, gotta be good, gotta be brooding.
Swords, cloaks and seeking true love.
They are boring but hey.

Cloaks are always good.

A closely held secret they do EVERYTHING to avoid getting out. They'll keep to their morals/allignment but they will not reveal this aspect of themselves if they can at all help it and live with the consequences.

Had a dude who was secretly a beastman, cleric who worshipped a fallen god (but maintained the original non-fallen faith), Investigator that had committed warcrimes in WW1, ect. It's a great way of adding depth and pathos to your characters. Everyone's got their secrets.....

I almost always seem to play characters who are suckers for romance.

None. Why would I do this?

Effeminate elves (male)

Pretty much this. With only one exception, they've always been at absolute least "asshole who cares more than they let on."

They're all virgins.

No matter if they're femme fatales, old wise guys, hardened veterans, century old elves or even womanizer bards. He's just hiding his insecurities.

What did I mean by this?

That guy's just maladjusted. Express yourself, user.

Muscle heads.

all but one of my Shadowrun characters has had a high rank (6+) in Knowledge Trog Rock groups, and usually at least 1 contact in such a band. I also tend to play Elven mages.

Being a Paladin

All my characters are strong, independent women.

Quick to Anger

Too much stuff in their inventory, trying to have the right item for any possible situation.

Mementos. Small things that symbolically represent adventures they've been on, rarely if ever are they things of actual value. Right now on a bone motif, took a bone from a cursed crypt to make a flute, have a tooth from an undead raptor made into an earring.

They're all bois

I always collect NPCs, I kinda hog the GM's time.

I'm a lefty, but I imagine all of my characters as worthless right hand using dogs.

>playing self inserts

All my characters are entrepreneurs who love loot and shinies.

My last group had an octopus man that loved to cook gumbo, and always carried his big pot with him. He slept in it about as often as he cooked with it, now that I think of it..

Being a futanari (boy characters still look and sound like girls, but they favor their penis)

They're very materialistic.
The extent to which varies depending on their overall place on the sliding scale of morality.

>Cheesy romantic type. Thinks things can always get better if you just fucking believe.

>Sacrifices resources/themselves for the 'greater good' or someone they care about.

>Makes ambitious plans and gets people caught in the collateral.

>Often gets convinced/manipulated by the antagonist to do things against the party's general interests.

>Derails the plot.

They are all butlers, maids, or people with a predetermined service role, yet have strong initiative.

i always go chaotic neutral. i like to have the freedom to do what i want without being bound by my alignment (you can't kill this evil man because you're good, you can't jaywalk because you're lawful, etc, but morality isn't black and white like that and i feel like it can take away from the depth of a character to force them into a box), but i don't abuse it. i also always roll a male, and he's always "along for the ride"

>Smoking cigarettes
>Cool
The only thing cool to smoke is a pipe or cigar.

>smokers
same here.

I don't smoke, but it's really fucking convenient to RP with smoking.

Very few can pull off a pipe or a cigar without looking like a tryhard edgyMcEdgelord

You have a complete reverse understanding of how alignments work.
They're a descriptor and tracking metric. It's not "You can't do X because you're [Alignment]" it's "You're tracked as [Alignment] because you do X."

It fits with self-destructive behavior-type guys basically.

Depends on system.
I mean, I guess technically a D&D cleric devoted to a good deity can feed someone their own liver, but they're probably not getting those class levels back.

Depends on edition. You would get everything back after atonement usually. Also being a Cleric with a direct connection to a deity is thirty steps beyond just having an alignment. Someone with good alignment that feeds someone a liver doesn't immediately swing to radical evil, they just move a step in that direction.

If you're a cleric and you offend your deity then you offend your deity, that's an entirely different matter.

Nopers, he's right. Alignment's always been restrictive, not proscriptive -- alignment violations make people SHIT THEIR PANTS

Your gay ass meme based interpretation of alignments is cute and all but not reflected in the rules (other than in 5e in which alignments are LOL WUTEVER)

Family Issues. Pretty much every character I've made thus far has had some drama related to family, whether it be something that happened to a family member or was caused by a family member.

1st character with an overbearing traditionalist father
2nd character Dad disappeared on him without a trace
3rd character family fell into poverty and he had to join the army to pay off debt
4th brother was murdered
5th mother disappeared without a trace, had a falling out with dad afterwards
6th non human adopted by humans and wants to learn more about his heritage.
etc etc
... thinking about it now I might be subconsciously using my hobby to work through personal issues ;;>>

>Nopers, he's right. Alignment's always been restrictive, not proscriptive -- alignment violations make people SHIT THEIR PANTS
No, its pretty much always been the way I described if you read the actual books. Some classes check for that tracking metric to attach consequences to deviations from some class requirements, but alignment has literally never meant that you cannot do something.

Pipes doubly so. Cigars you just have to pretend you're either a 19th century landowner or a drug lord in havana.

you mean cigarettes?

Because pipe is too methodical and fidgety for reckless types and cigars are too expensive to be reckless with it.

Both are cool because they belong to people in control and in charge.

>No, its pretty much always been the way I described if you read the actual books.

Wrong. Your character is catastrophically F U C K E D if you try to do it like that in AD&D.

>but alignment has literally never meant that you cannot do something.

Of course it does. Alignment is meant as a suffocating straitjacket, not a roleplaying tool.

Originally not only do alignment violations drain XP and sometimes even levels, but you have to ham up your alignment every chance you get for advancement/training purposes.

So yes, you can do anything you want in the sense a paladin can... but it means you're a moron.

All my characters genuinely enjoy their job or being their class.