Batman: Gotham City Chronicles

>Kickstarter opens
>Set at half a million goal
>Just about the highest of any board game ever put on the site
>A day later it's at 2.3 million

Think it'll be any good?

bump

I like board games for small groups and I'm a DC Comics fan, so I guess I'm part of the target audience. I'm interested. I think prepainted minis would've been nice, like X-Wing, because everyone's gonna want their Batmen and Robins to be the same colors anyway, but I guess that would've driven up the cost.

Also can't help but notice Gotham's best girl didn't get a miniature despite being on the cover.

>Also can't help but notice Gotham's best girl didn't get a miniature despite being on the cover

Probably a later stretch-goal

It seems they already reached all their stretch goals. It's a little odd that there's three characters on the hero box (two of whom are veritable fan-favorites) and in the book art who aren't even included in the game, but then you know with how well this has done already that they're gonna be releasing all kinds of shit for it down the road.

I would not at all be surprised to see Superman, Wonder Woman and other DC character expansions come out fairly quickly, either.

Given how they reached this point in a day, I have a feeling there'll be more goals added or some sort of expansion options put on the side.

To add to this, they've already added a new stretch goal

>Gotham's best girl
Not anymore she's not. Bitch murdered Clayface after he turned good, and now she's Big Boss leading a paramilitary organization to save gotham via lethal force.

>Not anymore she's not.
It's capeshit, nothing good lasts.

Have you played their Conan Boardgame? I hear it's the same game engine.

>Playable Harvey Bullock stretch goal
Jesus, this might put me over the edge to throw some money at it.

well good news is it'll probably be reached by tomorrow at this rate

It really looks like a stripped down version of the existing Batman Miniatures game.

Not a fan of the single sculpt goons

why the fuck would DC need to use crowd funding? They're a huge fucking million dollar company.

Because DC is not the one who's making this game?

Fucking sold

>now she's Big Boss leading a paramilitary organization to save gotham via lethal force.
>Not anymore she's not

I don't see how these are relative at all.

This also just reminds me I'd buy a copy or two to play with my tabletop friends if they'd give multiple Joker versions to play as or whatever. I'd be down for that and there's more than enough variety to support it.

Nah, it's more like the Conan game this company already put out. The Batman Miniatures game is lit though, I doubt this'll be half as good.

This is what legitimately sold me on this game, a ton of my favorite comic book villains and a motherfucking t-rex, giant surprise bomb and twoface coin when???

So at least Cass is in this. Too bad her outfit's kind of plain and boring. I hate the cowl on the Orphan costume too, but they should have at least given her a mask covering her lower face or something.

Monolith has a good track record. They hit their deadlines (no really, if you're not a kickstarter person, you have no idea how amazing that is), their sculpts are sweet, and Conan was fun (which is the system their using for this game.

Some of the sculpts get raised eyebrows, but mostly I'm happy.

>They hit their deadlines

And with that I go from being on the fence to jumping right in.

My damn wallet, oh well at least I didn't miss this one like I did other kickstarters

>minimum reward pledge is $140
>6k backers out of 10k at $320+
jesus, I guess that's the trick

Do these guys have more dinosaur figurines? It's rad as hell.

No, but fuck Batman, give us a dinosaur battles miniatures game with individually sold models like in X-Wing.

Pretty much my thoughts.
Or alternatively, Godzilla.

Hell yes! Either a licensed Godzilla game or a generic kaiju vs mecha game with one decent-sized model per player would be awesome.

this makes me want a Pacific Rim board game now

Honestly a DC Comics game would translate amazingly well to the X-Wing style business model. I know they had a skirmish miniatures game already, but trim it down to 1-2 big models per player and give them each a set of cards for various build options and you'd have a stew going.

And unlike Star Wars, which only has so many cool ships to put in a game, it would take forever to run out of superheroes to model.

>tfw Monsterpocalypse is dead and PP will never ever bring it back because their two busy killing Warmahordes

Gonna get a few copies of this, some to sell a couple of months post-fulfilment, some to sell during the next batman movie.

Rising sun was $100 to back, and is $300 cheapest on ebay now. For a franchise as big as this, I think a 500% markup is realistic. If the next batman movie is as good the the dark night, or Tim Burton's, a 1000% markup should be extremely easy.

This kickstarter is literally a licence to print money. I'm not going to play at all though, have 0 interest in batman or superheroes

furthest right on Batman box - isn't Red Skull meant to be a villain?

I was just talking about this with a board game loving co-worker of mine. the short answer, there is going to be a ton of buyers remorse on this kickstarter and will become the new standard on why kickstarter has become a failure of a platform.

that's red hood stupid

>Think it'll be any good?
Yeah, but not "$150 to wait way too long hoping I'm right that it's good," good.

That's not Cass.

Red Skull is a Marvel comics villain. Red Hood is a DC comics antihero.

>Gotham's best girl didn't get a miniature despite being on the cover.
What a shame, right? I mean, she's right there in the back.

Mind you, I personally found Red Hood a lot more interesting as a villain than when they try to sell him as an antihero.

Did Red Hood make it in? He’s the only Bat character I like besides the villains

I hate to tell you user, but Jason Todd will never completely turn against Bruce because he’s a father figure to him.

You'll either love or hate what's happened recently.

He's agreed to stop killing even though he thinks doing so would be a better idea, because the bat-family are HIS family.

Yes, he was one of a ton of reached stretch goals.

>more interesting as a villain
I'd say "anti-villain" is more accurate. As in out to fight crime but also being a dick about it. His shtick was "I hate crime but I also hate Batman."

Now he's Batman's edgy son who drops by every other weekend and it's totally fine to do team-ups even though he's all about guns.

>and it's totally fine to do team-ups even though he's all about guns.
see

How does he fight without guns?

His original appearance was pretty anti-batman, since he let him die and never avenged him. Complete with 'Kill me or I'll kill the joker, if he means more to you than I did'.

I mean, he literally blew up Mia Dearden's school just because she wouldn't join him. He's pretty villainous a lot of the time.

Fists primarily. He used to be Robin, remember, and while Dick has the best social skills and Tim is the best investigator, Jason was always the best fighter of the Robins.

Mythic battles pantheon hit a few obstacles but overall the company really does put consumer first which is remarkable

So he's Jason Todd, minus anything that makes Jason interesting? Jason as robin was so boring the only interesting thing they ever did with him was kill him off. Jason Todd works as a dark reflection of what batman could be and a symbol of his failure. Red Hood but non-killy is like removing the interesting aspect of Red Arrow being a single father hero.

...wait...

>Jason was always the best fighter of the Robins.

Wouldn't that be Damian Wayne?

I backed it. Conan was damn good. Not perfect, the rules suffer from being translated from French and there's still no good guide lines on how to swap characters out for different scenarios, but the game itself is super fun.
Super heroes, particularly Batman, are a pretty good fit for the system which is usually about a group of hero-players against a lot of disposable mooks and a couple of powerful commander figures.
I'm looking forward to getting this one. Really hope Adam West Batman is a stretch goal.
Despite the fact that it'll probably sit on my shelf, because most of my friends aren't really in to comic characters these days.

>Wouldn't that be Damian Wayne?
Damian is probably more skilled because of his assassin training, but Todd could probably still kick his ass (for now) because he's an adult and Damian is a child.

>So he's Jason Todd, minus anything that makes Jason interesting?
I dunno. That's probably going to depend on the writer. Lots of people are really liking him currently though.

>like removing the interesting aspect of Red Arrow being a single father hero

Right, or like Barbara Gordon being a hero despite being disabled. Or Green Arrow and Black Canary being a married couple who fight crime together. Or Elongated Man being a superhero teamed with his useful non-super wife. Or Cyborg being a Teen Titan who earned his way to being a Justice League-level hero.

Thankfully, of course, DC is way too smart to get rid of interesting character traits like those in favor of angst and making everybody as close to Batman as possible.

bump

>Also can't help but notice Gotham's best girl didn't get a miniature despite being on the cover.
disappointing I know

You're too late on that one, dude. ()

you can never have too much Steph

1000% markup right. Someone's going to drop a grand to play this? You're living in a comic book friendo

>Buying just to sell

At least it's not limited edition because if it was you'd deserve the chamber

You'll get no argument from me.

>dinosaur minis
>they actually look good
Bruh. Why the fuck aren't there more minis of popular dinosaurs

Looks cool, but I can't justify $140 for it. No matter how much cool shit I get with it.

If I had more time for board games like this then maybe. I got MERCS Recon and have played it all of like five times because it requires some dedication to play a game, but it's still a damn fun game.

I would say I'll wait until it hits eBay, but then there's assholes like

There was one shown, but the fans HATED it. They made it almost seem like she wasn't really wearing any clothing. You could make out all the details of her abs through the suit and it just seemed off.

It is limited, it won't be going retail, if you want it, you'll have to get it now or lose out forever or pay 1000% markup.

>it won't be going retail
I really don't expect this is going to stay the case going forward, given how successful it has been.

>Actually liking fuckups McGee
Do you people find being incompetent a good character trait? Steph is a dumb blonde who's memorable moments are mostly fucking up, she should stay Spoiler so Cassie can be Batgirl

I can't speak for everybody but for me that's part of what makes her likable. She's not a child prodigy or a born martial arts master or even somebody who got the patronage of Batman, who really didn't even like her. She's just a basic bitch blonde who decided "I'm going to be a superhero", and then did exactly that through sheer pluck.

She is almost without question the worst Bat-hero in terms of usefulness, but she is the best Bat-character.

cute

At the very least, its a 300% mark up like rising sun, which will beat the RoI on any investment out there. For a beloved franchise like Batman, it'll be very easily done.

Imagine this game dropping on the same month as the dark knight rises. 1000% is completely realistic, people get their minds blown in the cinema, then blow their money on batman shit.

I backed both of Monolith's previous board game KS's and I've had nothing but good experiences with them.

Like said, Conan was a lot of fun. I think MBP was a little less so because it doesn't have the "overlord vs players" type of rules that I enjoyed about Conan. They're still good games tho.

Also perhaps of interest is that Monolith has a very friendly attitude towards their customers. People missing parts of their kits have gotten them quickly for the most part, and they are still to this day doing content. Everyone who backed Conan got a revised rulebook for free after the translation to English got some flak, and later they offered everyone a new booklet of scenarios in printed version as long as you paid the shipping for it.

So yeah, I obviously can't predict the future for this, but they honestly seem like nice dudes who are super passionate about making fun games. Are they super complex things you can spend a lifetime mastering? Not at all. Are they a lot of fun to play? I think so.

As a general rule, I don't support capeshit anything.
Fuck this game. I don't care if it's an orgy in a box, I hope everyone who perpetuates this ugly subculture feels like they wasted their money.

likeability isn't the same as competence
Cass is also great, but I still prefer Steph

I've heard good things about them, and I wanted to back Conan but it was a similar thing where I couldn't justify the price.

If they did a scaled down retail release I'd ve all over that, but basically this is just ensuring I won't get it.

Good for you.

>Does it have a bat on it?
Oh man, that's pretty funny.

>I've heard good things about them, and I wanted to back Conan but it was a similar thing where I couldn't justify the price.

Yeah, that's understandable. It's a lot of bang for your buck but if you don't think you're gonna get any use out of it or will only be able to play it a few times then obviously it's wasted.

I didn't go all-in on any of their KS's, however. I went with the King Pledge for Conan which was $135 and the God Pledge for $99 for MBP. In the end I ended up selecting some optional add-ons for both, but I wasn't entirely happy with the add-on structure for MBP.

Yeah. If I had friends I could get togethwr to play regularly enough then I'd be really tempted. Sadly big, complex, board games seem harder to organize a game night for than a miniatures game. Guess I'll just stick to the Batman Miniatures Game for now.

>Sadly big, complex, board games seem harder to organize a game night for than a miniatures game
That's the opposite of the case in my experience, but maybe that's because I play with friends instead of recruiting people at a LGS. It's a lot easy to get people to show up with some snacks to play a board game somebody brought then to get them to shell out money for a miniatures game, for obvious reasons.

>t-rex
>doesn’t have feathers
D R O P P E D

Fair point. I alsobhave trouble organizing groups for such things due to my schedule. Most people are free on weekends, but I work nights on weekends so the timing just sucks.

Shame, too, because it's killed a lot of plans I've had for board games like this and RPGs.

In this case having feathers would make it highly inaccurate to the source material, so that's the wrong tree to be barking up.

Conan did horribly at retail, despite rave reviews, untill the price dropped to Clearance levels and they couldn't make their money back on it. At the price it would take to be profitable with the even more expensive Batman license and give retailers their expected cut, nobody would buy the game and it'll be another net loss.

It does seem a bit odd to have all the molds made for such a disparate amount of minis, just to let them gather dust after, but that's how it goes sometimes.

I was talking about limited numbers, not limited time. You buying one doesn't pretend others from buying them.

>It does seem a bit odd to have all the molds made for such a disparate amount of minis, just to let them gather dust after, but that's how it goes sometimes.

Could always end up being used again for smaller stuff if it's successful enough, like say a smaller base set for retail, though that's just me guessing.

>Conan did horribly at retail
Yeah, but this is Batman we're talking about.

Mm. I feel like that would have been a better model to start with anyway. Packaging would probably be a pain to sort out, but I feel like a base set with half the content for half the price would be a LOT more enticing to Joe Boardgamer, and just have individual collected boxes of minis and a scenario for them, if a person really REALLY likes Deadshot or something.

I suppose so, but that only goes so far. I figure they know what they're doing.

>that only goes so far
Yes, but that's pretty damn far. The Batman property is a license to print money.

Conan has almost no modern mainstream appeal, and board games in general are somewhat more "normie" than miniature wargames among the kind of people who are dropping money at their LGS, so it wasn't really a great combination for retail to begin with. And even if it's not really somebody's cup of tea, almost nobody hates Batman. So if the game is solid there's nobody who wouldn't be at least a little interested.

This. The only issue the game has for retail is that there's too much in these boxes for a base set. If it costs more then 100$, it shouldn't be the base set.

>always the best fighter of the Robins
As much as I hate him, I think Damien was the best fighter.

And one could argue that the higher priced base set is a better move for Kickstarter in particular (it seems to be working out for them.) If they put out a trimmed-down version of the base set for retail it would probably go down pretty well.

At least Green Arrow Rebirth started with Ollie and Dinah falling in love with each within the first two issues.

Oh man, and then they could do the upgrade cards just like with X-wing.

So you wind up buying Damien just so you can put Remote-controlled Batarangs on Batgil(Cass Cain)

I'd have to wonder about upgrade categories though. Maybe a generic fist symbol for martial arts, an eye symbol for investigative techniques, and then the relevant hero symbol for bat-gadgets, lantern constructs, Superman powers, superspeed abilities, etc.

Cass is the best fighter out of all the sidekicks, though she's been nerfed heavily since One Year Later. Her drawback is her mediocre investigative skills and ambivalence to using things other than martial arts.

>Oh man, and then they could do the upgrade cards just like with X-wing.
Exactly. It'd be important to have a bunch of build options in a game with only a few or even one unit between each player to keep it from getting stale, and it keeps people spending money on the game.

>I'd have to wonder about upgrade categories though.
You could also use supporting characters the way X-Wing uses pilots. So, Batman comes with Alfred and Commissioner Gordon, Superman has Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen, et cetera.

My thinking is that you'd have the character, then a Title equivalent that'd be versions of the character from a specific run, martial arts that'd be the equivalent of Elite Pilot Talents, bat-gadgets or superpowers that'd be the equivalent of turrets and torpedoes.

And of course some upgrades would be character limited. So all Flashes could take superspeed upgrades, but the Time Clone superspeed upgrade would be Impulse Only.

I mentioned supporting characters because they'd make sense across all characters. You might use the Flash but buy Batwoman so you could use Renee Montoya as your supporting character.

I read somewhere that they maybe only bought the rights for a short amount of time, like 2-3 years. Which will be enough for the campaign, but not for a retail version. Makes sense to me, as it lowers the price and retail seems pointless anyway these days. It was just speculation on why they didn't plan a retail version.

>I read somewhere that they maybe only bought the rights for a short amount of time
Sure, but there's no reason to buy the rights for a long time if you're not sure how it will go over. Now that they've already got five times their goal with over a month left it might look more attractive to keep going with it.