Who here actually cares what race they play? I know variant human is the undeniably best race...

Who here actually cares what race they play? I know variant human is the undeniably best race, which is why I actively try to avoid it. Every time I participate in a new campaign, I endeavor to play something new, racials be damned. A new perspective is more important than min/maxing too me.

Picture only tangentially related.

I would play a dwarf but there are no dwarves in Twilight 2000

I do care about what race I play, but not in a "I only play X, Y, and Z races", when I make a new character I want to tell a new story, and what race they are will have an impact on the type of story that they'd create. So what race they are, along with class, background, ect, are all important to me.

Who actually gets a chance to play non human?

I have been playing 18 years and have played one elf, one doppelganger and about 20 humans. When someone else runs a game, only humans are available and even my star wars games are filled with human characters.

I generally don't play humans, but my GMs always rein in the boundaries of my non-human characters because I always stretch it.

I haven't participated in too many campaigns with strict racial restrictions. Most people DO play humans, and I have as well, but kenku are fun too.

If we're talking 5e, half-elves give variant humans a run for their money.

One of our group's dms is a nut when it comes to session 1 character creation.

All human males from this one village, all orphaned and raised by community and all martial characters. Everytime.

I get so fucking tired of his campaigns but he is the only other person who runs games on a regular basis.

Yeah, that sounds fucking awful. You need to visit a gaming store and make yourself some new friends.

Furry Detected.

Nonhumans aren't really...very interesting. Anything a dwarf has in his experiences, you can get with a human. Same with an elf, except for played out immortality things, which will make your character so alien and crazy that they probably aren't suitable for play.

Also nobody wants to do ERP in PMs between sessions with gross-ass dwarves.

No one actually does. If they claim they do it's because they associate that race with an aspect of themselves that they want to explore

I don't think i've ever played a human.

I usually like to make a character that plays against type, either mechanically or personality-wise.

Next one I plan to play is a female dwarf bard, college of swords. She ran away from her home to become a street performer, but still tries to throw her weight around using her family name. She's definitely a wide-eyed idealist sort.

Stats-wise she's got high CON, befitting a dwarf, but both her STR and DEX are middling at best. Her other high stat is CHA.

In another campaign, I had a variant human rogue. He was a middle-aged, portly, greasy guy missing his left hand (it got cut off because he got caught stealing sometime in his youth). Very much a weaselly coward. Had a lot of fun with him.

>Furry Detected.
no, it's mostly undead, spirits, warforged, pixies and shit like that.

>Nonhumans aren't really...very interesting.
not with your shit attitude

>Who here actually cares what race they play?
The race I choose depends on my concept
So you can say I don't really care about the race

I pretty much completely keep to humans on account of the fact that they're completely well rounded. Playing a half orc for a non martial class feels wrong cause of the stat allocations and yet playing say, a half orc barbarian feels like downright powergaming on account of the fact that those two things mesh so well. It's a dumb thing to worry about but it's not like it hurts anyone

The main problem is that fantasy races usually allow for a player to be a walking stereotype of said race.

Half orc, named Kazog Aduri. Every single game, every single setting or system. Fun time.

It's rather simple for me.

>Would being another race add something interesting to an already interesting character ?

If not I'll just play a human or the "normie" stand in.

I certainly do, different races are fun. That said, I pretty much exclusively play humans in shadowrun because I like using Edge.

> Anything a dwarf has in his experiences, you can get with a human.

In the abstract, sure, but not necessarily once you apply the context of a setting. No human in the Forgotten Realms, for example, elicits the same response from people as a dark elf or yuan-ti pureblood or a kobold does (revulsion and fear, usually).

Now that I think about, I have never played a human. I'll try to keep it that way

I do because I put thought into where my character is from and also on culture. It's stuff like this that drew me out of D&D, races are just a skin with railroads towards a few classes.

>I endeavor to play something new, racials be damned. A new perspective is more important than min/maxing too me.
You're a lying retard. Playing as a different race doesn't give you a new perspective at all.
We all know that you play non-humans with an inconsistent racial gimmick you're going to forget every other session.

Sure thing, Azog.

Stop playing with Derek then.

>Every time I participate in a new campaign, I endeavor to play something new,
fuck people like you
>oh guys guys next campaign i'm gonna play a TABAXI WARLOCK how cool is that
I hate this "hurr durr weird race/class combo = interesting character" meme

where can I find a GM like this?
>what? I can't play as a tiefling bard who plays the harmonica? what a boring campaign!
you realise you're a fucking cretin