Devilish DM tricks

>party failed to kill mage inside dungeon and let him run free
>pretty inconsequential according to module. Just an inhabitant
>plan to bring him back as a larger threat in his own dungeon of madness while he causes strife in the local region

Who /devilish dm/

Other urls found in this thread:

yarukizero.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/magical-burst-4-0.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Party is 3rd level
>been traveling for a long while
>arrive at militaristic elf town in the early afternoon
>Most of party decides they're going to grab meal in the tavern
>Rogarth, the half-orc fighter, decides he wants to find something interesting to do since he's on the outs with the party sorceror.
>He goes to le questboard outside the tavern
>"18-year-old seeking exotic partner at Date Ln. Apt. 1 Building 3. Posted [today]

>Invite everyone over for some DND
>Shake all the pop cans before they come over
>It gets all over their hands

MAD DOG DM IN THE HOUSE

>party has to go on boat to bring mcguffin to nobleman
>boat is already overloaded with shit from a merchant
>rainstorm comes, party helps getting the water out
>to no avail: the boat starts sinking fast
>some of the party have to drop their backpacks to safely swim back to shore
>they lose everything that was in the backpack
>one of them even loses all her money

Hard to top, I'd say

I'm stealing this

wow i thought it would be a bunch of cunt GM's outing themselves as cunts, but this is good

>A long time ago, I played this Magical Girl game that had a table of horrible campaign twists.
>Start using this table in other games like DnD.
>Always show it to the players before the game so they can veto anything that's truly going to be unacceptable to them.
>After the vetoes are done, I always roll in secret and apply a few of them to the campaign.
>Some of this shit is devious to the point of things like "You character's memories and life experiences are all artificial/fake." "Adventurers and the play character themselves are more evolved than their peers and essentially a separate race or somehow more real than their peers." "The life cycle of the "gods" involves consuming sentient life and they seed planets/planes with life as we might raise cattle for the slaughter." "The world is all a fake construct or illusion created by magic, that is now succumbing to magical entropy and decaying around you. Only this single town/city/province/country is safe, and nobody knows for how long or what comes after." "Unknown to anyone, monsters are the souls of the restless dead given form when they fail to pass on, and their numbers have been increasing rapidly." and other such incredibly dark and world-changing revelations.
>Don't even this deliberately to fuck with them, do it because I like seeing their characters adapt to, fix, or overcome something truly terrifying about their world beyond just "hurrdurr big bad necromancer wants to rule everything" like in most fantasy games.

MADMAN

Post table?

That reminds me
>Rogue decides to get his dick wet, rolls to carouse
>Wakes up with several contacts and a beautiful petite woman in his bed
>Her sister is pissed, but she seems happy to have him
>They manage to wheedle out of me that she's plot relevant and I get convinced into giving away a major spoiler
>The party is now convinced that she's a murderous yandere who will kill party members for another shot at rogue's dick
>I have something even worse planned
>She was the one who showed up to solicit him for sex and to copy his key so she could steal literally everything he wasn't carrying when he left on a quest
>Of course, when he comes back to find himself robbed, she'll be shocked and appalled and insist to have nothing to do with it
>Considering going full bitch and having her mock his pride and masculinity mercilessly if he can prove she did it
>"Yeah, I'm sure you actually did all that stuff you were bragging on and weren't just trying to get laid. If that were the only thing you lied about I might have enjoyed it."
How far is too far, Veeky Forums? I'd basically be turning this guy's impromptu waifu into a complete cunt.

>new group
>party wandering through forest
>ask me if they see anything interesting while wandering through
>tell them to roll a dice, they get a 20
>tell them they find some random old man
they spend the next 6 months of the campaign taking care of him and making sure his senile ass doesnt run off , convinced he must be secretly a really important entity since they rolled a 20 to find him.

Magnificent

Inspired by hypercube dungeon maps of /teej/ fame, I'm planning a one shot with a 4 dimensional monster. The dungeon will appear conventional at first, but inside they'll find an artifact that will let them move through the fourth dimension to chase it.
The best part is that I won't tell them it's four dimensional, and see if they can figure it out based on what they see throughout the dungeon.

Too far if the player has gone through a bad breakup in the last 12 months.
Drop some hints about her true personality. Having an NPC rob a PC usually diverts the campaign into Revenge-murder until one or both sides have died.

I haven't run a game in fucking years, but I ALWAYS used modular rooms, monsters, and items. I'd just plop them down into wherever the party was going next rather than meticulously craft everything beforehand.

The players won't think that it's railroading unless they peek at your laptop.

I always make a single NPC in the party's starting town or city a werewolf, changeling, vampire, ect. Some kind of non-human or monstrous human masquerading as a regular human. Usually someone the party will be interacting with alot, like a shopkeeper or merchant. They will always been an alchemist of some sorts or friends with the town alchemist, and being using potions to help control their "condition", which I will drop subtle hints about during the campaign. I will also drop other hints such as animals being tense or avoidant of them, and the NPC doing things like travelling alone or going out at night unarmed and seemingly unconcerned for their own safety.

I've still never had anyone figure it out before the big reveal. I've had a few players suspect the NPC was a warlock and doing dark magic though, incorrect as that guess is.

Oh fuck I might do this. They love the Mayor, let's fuck with the Mayor.

I find it helps if the NPC themselves isn't explicitly evil. Like, the last time I did this, it was with the town's alchemy merchant, and she had been kidnapped by bandits while getting ingredients in the nearby woods (again, animals animals avoided her because animals could sense she was a werewolf). By the time the party found her, she was midway through tearing the bandits apart because it had been too long since she had her last dose of wolfsbane potion to keep the transformations suppressed. When the dust settled, the party was now faced with the choice of letting her go because they liked her and she had never brought anyone in the town harm... but also had to deal with the fact that it would mean keeping everyone else oblivious to something that could be extremely dangerous in their midst (as the town probably would have lynched her if they knew).

DESU I'm not really a fan of forced moral choices for the sake of forced moral choices, so maybe avoid this if there's a smitebot paladin in the party or the party gets mad over deep moral stuff... but if you're looking to make the encounter more meaningful than a combat to be beaten and forgotten about, this is the way to do it.

well, it isn't really.

>Later, bitch on Veeky Forums about how your players are a bunch of murderhobos you’ve trained to never let anything live.

Plus points, have it being in a horro, or at least dark fantasy game.
So far every parody of humanity has been a
megalomaniac tyrant.
Just to fuck with their heads, after all they should never get their feet too long on the ground in a good game about horror.

Wouldn't exactly call that a forced moral choice. Let someone who hasn't caused harm live? Or kill them because they could cause harm? :^)

I am going to present fermat's theorem as a riddle in next game just to make fun of my players

That's literally the "Orc Babies" scenario, except the Orc Babies scenario is used to illustrate why DnD's alignment system is retarded, not why moral choices are bad.

>getting coke over your board

Once i brought an (unloaded and not functioning) gun at the table and threatened my group's That Guy to shoot him in the kneecaps if he didn't stop his shenanigans.
I was arrested for this but got away with just a slap on the wrist after my lawyer proved the gun couldn't shoot even if i wanted to

Oh yeah, forgot this is DnD alignment we're talking about here. I tend to just ignore it use common sense alignment

Fuck off, frogposter.

That seems over the top and could really use a detailed explanation of what lead up to it.

>Random NPC in premade module is a changeling
>Works for the bad guys but willing to surrender
>PCs let her go without discovering she's a changeling
>Fast forward a few games
>PCs are rallying the peasants against the bad guys
>Become aware of something fishy going on
>Find out a spy
>She is willing to surrender at the same conditions
>PCs don't make the connection, leave her tied up and fuck off
>When they're back, she's slipped away

Now I have a recurring adversary already set up.

>burn the roast
>order fastfood
>pretend you made it yourself

Jesus fucking Christ

Post the table user

He was being a That Guy and honestly got of lightly from the sound of it.

Apart from being generally disruptive he clearly had some behavioural problem. this all happened through the curse of three months
>he started pretty average, but was clearly some kind of wannabe chad
>always used thuggish lingo, his hero was eminem, styled himself as some sort of american gangsta
>always acted like he was hot shit, argued for the sake of arguing, even if usually rolled over pretty easily
>always played as himself
>kind of remissive at first, once we made the mistake to let him have his way
>ohshit.jpg
Do you know when you let your dog win for once and he starts bossing you around? Same thing
>becomes even more quarrelsome, antagonizes everyone at the slightest argument
>extremely disruptive, literally ignores the rules
>belittles every other player, even comes to the point to literally ignore GM result
>we kick him for the first time
>two weeks later, her mom comes to us and literally BEGS us to take him back, says we are the only social interaction his son has, that he never had a father figure, that he wants to mix with a bad crowd and yadda yadda
>we take pity on the poor woman, we take him back
Cont.

>Autistic wigger

*sucks teeth*
Shoulda iced that fool, homie.

Post the fucking table I swear to god

His* fucking phone
Anyway
>he seems to have developed a grudge against us in general and me in particular.
>he argues when he can, says he doesn't trust us anymore, like we're some sort of gang or some shit.
>he proudly shows his pocket knife
>fucker brought a knife in my house
To be fair it was a nice looking knife
>kinda scared, we call the closest adult in his vicinity, his mom
>she ensures us that he acts big but he's harmless. The knife belonged to his uncle but is just for show and doesn't have an edge
The lady was nice, but looked like she was mentally and emotionally drained. She's the only reason we tolerated him for so long.
>next session, turns out his mom doesn't allow him to bring the knife anymore
>he of course blames us, says he believed us to be his friends, that you don't hold a brother down and so on
>at this point we try to play, finish early because one player has to go
>i go to the bathroom, come back, they all left
>three days later, i notice one of my decorative candlesticks is gone.
>that thing wasn't worth shit but was nice to look at, and i'm pissed
> i have no proof that he stole it but i'm sure it was him
>next session comes in, i confront him about it
>he negate at first, but if confesses when pressed on the matter
>he almost boasts that it was him, i tell him to give it back and get out of my house
>he basically thuggens up and goes "whatchugunna do about it??"
>I and another player try to make him leave, he flat out refuses to leave
> i go in my room, take the not-working gun and threaten him
>long story short, he runs away screaming bloody murder
>next morning, cops show up at my house, i get detained

After this in short i was accused of threats and attempted murder, when i prove the gun does not work and i knew it i end up with a fine for caused alarm and a stern look from the judge.
That guy gets a restraining order against me, so basically he kicks himself out of my game and my life.
The end

Holy shit what an autist. And here I thought things might turn out better with him learning a lesson.

Footnote: sadly, i never got my candlestick back

rip in pepperoni

I threw a completely nonsense riddle at my party. They spent about an hour trying to decode it, before the party's Paladin got the idea to do some lore checks on the area. He then realized what the trick was and gave his answer, standing by it even though the party would have died if they gave a wrong answer. He was right and they could move on.

The trick being the riddle was complete gibberish and there was no clear answer. They were treasure hunting in an ancient Paladin training ground, overseen by the ghost of an overseer of the training process who thought the party were new trainees.

The riddle was supposed to be an example of how there will be times the Paladin will be faced with a situation where there's no easy answer, or even a right answer. But he's still charged with making a decision. It might not be the best choice, the right choice, or even a good choice, but he has to have the strength to make A choice, and stand by whatever consequences his decision may bring.

The Paladin got a kickass holy sword out of the deal when they found the overseer's body a few rooms later.

Not the user you're asking, but it sounds really really similar to the table in Magical Burst 4.0, page 66. yarukizero.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/magical-burst-4-0.pdf

Some of the things he mentioned aren't on the table though, so he might be using a different edition of the game, or one of the purchased supplements, or maybe I just have the wrong game entirely... although I don't know any other magical girl games except Maid RPG, and that's a pretty huge stretch.

Is that an abyssal la creatura?

I'm from South Carolina, down there if a man's in your house and won't leave, you can point a gun or whatever you want at him, hell, you can shoot him and get away with it. What fkn country are you in fampai?

>Players kill a priest who was a secret asshole that summoned zombies against them during the night
>He has a note that leads them to the his chair back at the chapel
>They inspect the chair and promptly set off a trap
>Huge explosion
>Killed the party's gnome outright

I was expecting them to check for traps because they're pretty good about doing that outside of city limits. I felt pretty devilish after that.

Not really trick, more like cause and effect
>party works for local paladin chapter, one of party members actually is renowed veteran of said chapter
>"sire we might have trouble. Strange noises were heared in Catacombs beneth the main champel. Two expedition of four had not responded yet and they were sent almost two days ago"
>party says ok, proceedes as if they said not ok
>main champel collapses two days later
it was supposed to be simple side quest to earn some xp for underleveled PCs. Litteraly three acidic cubes and bunch of skellymen, each jelly in different encounter. But since they decided to not even invasitgate i assumed that two days is enoguh for acid to corrode foundations of champel just enough so part of it would collapse.

Fuck off, frogposter.