Flames of War General: Fisting Edition

/fowtg/

Flames of War SCANS database:
mediafire.com/?8ciamhs8husms
---Includes our Late War Leviathan rules!
Official Flames of War Free Briefings:
flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108

Current Veeky Forums fan projects - Noob Guide &FAQ, and a Podcast
drive.google.com/open?id=1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw
Quick Guide on all present FOW Books:
wargames-romania.ro/wordpress/wargames/flames-of-war/flames-of-war-starting-player-guide-the-books/

Archive of all known Panzer Tracts PDFs: mediafire.com/folder/nyvobnlg12hoz/Panzer_Tracts

WWII Osprey's, Other Wargames, and Reference Books
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
and, for Vietnam.
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War

--Guybrarian Notes:
docs.google.com/document/d/1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw/edit?usp=sharing

400gb.com/u/1883935

Panzerfunk, the /fowg/ podcast.
panzerfunk.podbean.com/

vimeo.com/128373915

flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Briefings/CariusNarva.pdf

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1949 the Azul Division: no longer linkable off the main page

Which army do you play the most?
strawpoll.me/4631475

what actual country are you from?
strawpoll.me/4896764

DISCORD
discord.gg/drZbxvm

docs.google.com/document/d/1JWmbvVANUraO9ILWJZduRgiI9w4ZC3ytNUQE8rK7Xrw/edit?usp=sharing an "i want to get a starter set" for late war.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6KVxav5p9bc
youtube.com/watch?v=nKIO4mZO5nI
zho.berka.com/rules/war/unit_counter.html
warlords.org.nz/
huttclub.wordpress.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first for Guppies

>Second for unfunny forced cheers meme videos!

youtube.com/watch?v=6KVxav5p9bc

Previous Thread

Infinite cheers

Parking lots and thin green lines at 64 pts. Amazing.

The Battlefront system, like the GW system many of the high-ranking employees worked with before forming the company, is overwhelmingly tilted in favor of spam. Parking lots will be the default standard of play regardless of points limit--all that does is adjust the table size adequate for your parking lot. Players have to actively fight the game to field a balanced force. This has always been the case and will always be the case.

How come none of my games end in parking lots?

Parking lots are directly tied to the new morale rules. Just get rid of those and it fixes the issue immediately.

because Centurion is best Tankfu

Parking lots existed in FoW v3, the new rules did not create them.

its pretty weird really, but i tried play FoW and TY at 6mm and is fucking awesome. No parking lots, units with space to maneouver and you dont even need change the stats, range ect..

Today in the email "New T-55 plastic kit" yeah you arrived 1 year late Battlefront.....and be grateful that PSC released the Leo I and not the BMP kit...

bersaglieri weapons platoon done, as well as the brixia mortars & flame-thrower teams for the assault engi platoon. only 6 infantry stands and the weapons company hq left to paint for infantry!

Where's the shading?

the matt varnish I use makes flat colours look a lot better, I did all my jap infantry pretty much the same way. I'll post pics once I varnish them.

The V4 command rules and morale rules, along with reduced effect of templates against armored vehicles has led to parking lots that have were not seen in V3.

Do we have an enigma machine?

Could Phill get a less rapey photo?

I think that means conscript Soviets are coming soon for MW

So, the final message "22112" translates as:

"121111112"

or

"12racehorseracehorseracehorse2"

What did Phil mean by this?

Cheers in binary the 2s are apart Phil's form binary

01000011 01101000 01100101 01100101 01110010 01110011

/NVA/
youtube.com/watch?v=nKIO4mZO5nI

card user here, placing order for the command cards I know of tonight.
DAK
Brits
USA
Italy

Did you use the same bases, or did you use smaller bases for the infantry?

Just curious how people are basing 6mm infantry for Flames and TY.

various ways, some use small bases, one guy in a facebook group part of for 6mm TY linked to
zho.berka.com/rules/war/unit_counter.html
to make markers for it and keep vehicles in

for infantry 20x20mm and vehicles 20x40mm, like the old good epic 40k.

if you used the 15mm bases for 6mm inf, each inf team would take up more room than a tank (or three)

I think a small base (32x25mm) would work for a large 6mm base, while medium would be around 25x16mm, and small would be 13x16mm

67 104 101 101 114 115

That's what I figured, but I was just curious how people would do it.

Although I suppose at 6mm most people probably aren't bringing much in way of infantry.

It's really realistic that team requires more space than tank. Modern infantry is quite dispersed. Just look combat footage.it's 15mm base is too small.

wait....

it's an old number play ""22 1 1 2"
or "twenty two won one too"

11 was a racehorse
22 was one two
11 won one race
22 won one too

So clearly it means the next MW army will be Hungarians.

11 22 12111
rush
Canadians free nations book release soon

How bad is the parking lot issue?

Everyone post your favorite parking lots.

Fuck me.

Luckily the new Firestorm campaign will give us a fresh source of parking lots. This is what an average game of TY looks like these days.

I copped a draw in my last event against a Soviet list that literally sat bumper to bumper across the long edge of the table in deployment. Rear guard, and my BMP-1 company fought the best they ever had, but against a player who takes 30 minutes to deploy, what can you do?

I don't get why people whine about this.
It's obviously deployment so the board never looks like this for long.

Sure keep telling yourself this.

>acting like NuWWPD’s spamfest is the norm

Those guys honestly don’t know how to fucking play.

I've play Team Yankee and I've not encountered this much and i'm playing 100pts as standard

except in stupid points level games on a 24x6 tables.
is this a common playing to meta or is my local area playing it wrong?

At last, the truth.

Spam and parking lots tend to be legitimate issues with the game.

That being said, I’d argue that since your games aren’t like that, you’re actually doing it Right.

Depends on the list you use. Afghasty or T-64 and most NATO MBT lists (Leo 2, M1, Chieftain) tend to eat up a lot of points on items that don’t clog the table as much.

Sadly battlefront keeps adding options that allow you to spam and clog the table and the points of small units are less than large units. So you get two cases:

1) MSU spam where you can bring 50%-100% more stuff.

2) big units that all have to be in the small command radius.

Either way it ends up looking bad.

Figure get a list checked while waiting. Made a Canadian Armored list back for 3e, decided to update it to 4e using the 'Armies of Late War' and this is the result:
Sherman HQ 240
3x Shermans
Sherman Armored Troop 375
3x Shermans
1x Firefly
Sherman Armored Troop 375
3x Shermans
1x Firefly
Stuart Recce Patrol 145
3x Stuart
M10 AT Platoon 290
4x M10
Priest Field Troop 240
4x Priest
Sherman OP 15
Sherman OP
Universal Carrier Patrol 90
3x Carrier (MG)
Universal Carrier Patrol 90
3x Carrier (MG)

anything should add to it to round out to 2000?

Honestly, 2000 points is HIGH.

Most games are played in the 1500 to 1750 points range.

THE NAM IS BACK BITCHES!
i fucking love it!
all the new shit, all the best of the old! TeamYankee gave me hope. it reintroduced all the models, and the potential for one of the hottest hotspots in the whole cold war, and we got it back.

boy i sure am hyped. i told my friend about the new rule books, and they already have some copies at my LGS.

time to dust off the hueys, get the SEALs kitted up, and most importantly, my M113-ACAVs and Pattons get to roll through the hamlets of south vietnam, leveling everything in their way with .50 cal fire and off-map artillery.

fuck yes gentlmen, fuck yes. best move these corprate degenerates have made in a while.

So, I bought the Open Fire box at my flgs after getting a ton of credit for old 40k minis
Started reading the rules, got a couple games in with my friend
I just now got the 4th ed book and everythign seems very different
Is open fire not 4th edition? It all seems a bit complicated desu

Also, which book should I get if I want to build a half track and tanks heavy late war german force?

>
To continue on my train of thought, when I go on the FoW subreddit, everyone is talking abotu "100 point lists" or very low point number
though when i check the army book, infantry platoons are at least 150
Is there a new set of points or something?

in V4 MW points costs got squeezed into the 100pts army range, EW & MW are still at the 1500pts range. As such, old MW books are incompatible with the new system.

Open fire is 3rd edition.

Midwar uses numbers such as 100 for an entire army while a platoon might be 100 or more in middle or late war. hope it helps! Good luck out there!

An not upgraded bmp1 motor rifle are 13 bmp1, with options and support you can add 8 bmp2.

Total 21, if you upgrade you can add 2 more. 23 fucking bmp2 in under 40 points. Not mentioning the gazzillion of infantry.

Of course Battlefront could make bmp (and most of transports) transport 3 o 4 guys, and leave the table less crowded in terms of playability but in doing that we would not have that feeling of nerd anger waiting for BPM restock every fucking time i see my BRTs.....

adding the fact that most of tanks are impervious to artillery and the command is so reduced that we got? parking lots. To me destroy the feeling of a modern wargame.

Play at 6mm, the game gets better, cheaper and you dont have to wait to Battlefront restock or PSC doing the spamming model kit that you need.

yeah openfire is just at the line of Latewar and Midwar. the new v4 rules dont really carry over to the other settings yet, but they will try to do so eventually so everything is on the card style of team yankee.

if you want to try and understand the rulesets, you choose a timeperiod, then a book within the timezone, then an army pattern from that book.

you gotta find what you want, and build it to that. for the most part it should be what you like, and let the rest fall into place.

early war is pretty broad, and can be suprisingly competitive. it lacks all the wunderfaffen shit or the abusive soviets, or a concentrated allied threat. historically speaking, this is the invasion of poland, blitzkrieg into france, and the battles of noth africa. as far as gungho is concerned, the fall of china is this time period, but the phillipines are safe. it is a little fuzzy where early war stops, but i consider it as the end of the spring offensive towards moscow as part of Barbarossa. play Early war if you like small, fast, infantry and light vehicle armies. this is the king of motorised armies.

midwar is more interesting, and what the current v4 rules try to deal with. The armericans get involved, in both theaters. Guadal canal, north africa's kazarine, Zukhovs return west and the beginning of russia's counter offensive. a lot of people think this era is quite balanced, but personally i think it is a little skewed. This era is great for tanks and firepower. this time period gave russia some of its best infantry blob armies. play this if you like the team yankee rules, and if you like russian OP bias.

latewar is the most popular, and most played of the v3 rules. you get all those endwar super weapons, and really competitive play. this era starts with dday and continues to 1944. Welcome to desperate measures for just about everyone. the german armor becomes damn near unstoppable, but the russian and americans are onto the shit, so everybody gets bazookas and 76s. the spam is for the most part gone, and the darwinian process of war has even given the russians veteran troops.

But Pacific is separate period, it does not mix with EW

I just worry that It will suffer from the same problem that it did last time.

In my area *nobody* had any interest in the North Vietnamese. Everyone wanted to play one of the Free World nations.

Eh... some people will disagree with you on that. There are those who argue that Pacific War points and Early War Points use the exact same point scale.

That being said, the fact that Battlefront itself treats the Pacific War as it’s own separate era seems to indicate that they didn’t design it to be cross-compatible with Early War.

from banzai, gung-ho has the same text obviously

yeah but i like placing mines and designating various map decorations as boobytraps. so what you really need to do is make roundeye go home. GI number zero, ho chi mihn number one. make their helicopter fall out of sky like broken bird. make them give many medals to their troops, to be pinned to their coffin as they buried in ground. we must defend our rice.

my favorite game in fact was when my NVA mechanised battlegroup faced some guys american airbourne. he got so pissed when his hueys touched down to let the troops off and came within range of my t62 shit tanks. they didnt hit too often, but since all he had were infantry, par/sub-par arty, and a pair of cobras that my ZSUs and rpg teams kept very busy, and by turn 4 very dead, he had a bad time. bad tanks are still better than no tanks.

choosing your battles is important, and choosing the terrain is more so. i turned down several games, especially against american and anzac armored decks since the m50 patton is a beast in the old rules.

painted some flags on my infantry stands to differentiate different platoons should they get mixed up in a game. Also labels for the rifle company HQ teams since the weapons company HQ has the same models.

Huey Hog:
in the book or not?

>that pic

what the fuck are Gerry's using Enfields for and can i trade a proper mauser for one?

Not

oh fuck, prove this or i torch osprey!

On BF forum there was official answer that Hog could use Cobra stats and points

I play on a board sized 150x225. It changes things up for the better imo.
>speed is more important
>long ranges becomes an issue
>spearhead is very useful
It also helps against parking lots.

What board size do you play and what do you think of it?

>150x225

What's that in freedom units?

Divide it by 2,6 and you'll have it in eagle thumbs.

The conversion comes out a bit unevenly in feet and inches.

It’s roughly 5 feet by 7 feet and 4 inches, but that’s rounded to the nearest full numbers.

1.50 meters x 2.25 meters

I’m afraid that might happen with my area as well.

Everyone is excited for the US, but nobody is excited about the Vietnamese.

rape incarnate
>we need to meme this image.....

So it's a longshot but here we go.

Does anyone here play Flames of War/'Nam/Team Yankee in the Wellington region of NZ? Just moved here a few months ago and am ready to jump back into the hobby. I have a decent TY collection, my FoW stuff is still packed away and I was wanting to get into 'Nam as the PAVN (Wanted to jump in in V3 Tour of Duty but the extra rules just looked too clunky even for V3)

Any places where I could find groups?

warlords.org.nz/
huttclub.wordpress.com/

Speaking as a New Zealander, everyone outside of the Waikato region needs their head tightened. A couple of the Auckland Guys, Hamilton Guys play TY, including me. Vietnam take up I think is pretty piss poor here, but at least two of the Hamilton guys have armies for it.

Although having said that, there's some really nice people down in the Wellington area.

I'm sure there is a facebook group or two for NZ players that can help you out.

>needs their head tightened.

I am not familiar with NZ slang, what does this mean?

Looking to get into FoW, undecided between the US and German forces. Would I be well off to buy the El Alamein box set, and a platoon or two of infantry to begin with, or are there better deals out there?

I may have made a malapropism.
Wellington needed help from Waikato to get their Charters in order, and then there was that time when one of the Auckland groups, despite the person in charge of booking the venue being related to someone in the Auckland City Council, skipped out on the bill for the venue for one of their tournaments. Which is why Battlefront, despite being based in Auckland no longer do their own tournaments, because the Auckland City council now requires you to pony up with a fat wad of wonga before they'll let a Wargaming Association book a venue.

Grab one of the nation starter sets and some infantry. Itçll donyou better. El Al only comes with like four tanks or some such.

I think Phil is broken.

Is Phil allowed to break rules of the Team Yankee page/

Well it is Battlefront’s page, so I guess they can do whatever they want. He’s posted at least 3 images of whatever Chinese show he is watching making lame jokes about dragons.

I'm from NZ and I've never heard this before so don't worry too much.

Here in Dunedin there are a few guys that play, there was a tourney last year where a Finnish army won which was cool. The guys at the club (OMTS) play 4th edition and seem to like it - they said it speeds things up which is nice.

I personally don't play (we play Ostfront and Hind & Seek) but its always interesting to see FoW still rocking - they always have nicely painted miniatures and are generally interested in, and knowledgeable about WW2.

What's a good demo force for Team Yankee
Got a West German army and a a few Russian bits t-64s,bmp2 and shilkas to convert some 40K fags at this new club that's opening

None of what you said is very clear...

>An not upgraded bmp1 motor rifle are 13 bmp1
BMP-1 Motor Rifle Company? Battalion?

>with options and support you can add 8 bmp2.
How are you adding BMP-2s into a BMP-1 unit? Are you talking about the Volks Armee BMP Battalion?

>Total 21, if you upgrade you can add 2 more. 23 fucking bmp2 in under 40 points.
13+8+2 is 23, but in what world does 23 BMP-2s cost below 46 points? BMP-2s cost 2pts per vehicle, or 1.5pts if you are buying them without infantry (for the recon version)
23 BMP-1 can cost 33pts, but the BMP-1 is sorta garbage when trying to: A) not die to AT weapons, B) kill proper tanks, and C) kill infantry.

>Of course Battlefront could make most transports carry 3 or 4 infantry teams
no. no no no. Doubling the amount of infantry that are rolling saves when a transport gets popped is not gonna be fun for anyone. The table won't even be less cluttered, because reducing the transports per unit will drop the cost of a unit, so you will then just buy more units and be most of the way back to where you started (but with much more vulnerable infantry).

>Play at 6mm
Just about the only thing that made sense.

Sounds a lot like 'has a few screws loose'

roll a min-strength BMP-2 Battalion (1x BMP2 HQ, 2x [4x BMP2] companies), attach a 5 strong T-64 Company, and full Shilka platoon, 47 pts

For Krauts I'm not sure what you have available, but Marder PzGren Kompanie? HQ, one full strength and one reduced strength platoon, throw in 3 Leo2s, and 2 Gepards, 50 pts. Lots of scary vehicles for the soviets to deal with, but lacking in infantry.
Better yet would be if you could roll some M113 Companies from Panzertruppen. HQ + 2 full M113 zug, 2 Leo2, a full Jaguar2 zug, and 2 Gepards, 47 pts. Gets some more inf and a bunch of ATGMs so the krauts can scare the bejesus out of the soviets, while they sweat over the vulnerability of their own vehicles.

You could also dump the leo2s for some leo1s, but that would mean you would be showing even-ish number of NATO and PACT troops, which would be misleading I think.

With these forces you have some premium tanks duking it out, good amounts of infantry, and some infantry-support. Only thing you are missing is some arty and aircraft (and Asiatic hordes).

Phil shitposting the fuck out of the TY page.

Yeah, I’ve seen.

Was he drunk or something? Or does he just think he’s being funny?

wait...
...Phil really posted that?
is he.....is he his own troll?

i like that!!! good show!!!
i do somethign very similar with my own infantry...if i ever run infantry. blighters to fuckign paint....

i need some tips anoms i have the hammerfall starter box, my brother picked the usa and me the soviets.

I ordered the yuri wolves army box. this will give me :

8 t-64 and 2 bmp.

So i will build a t-64 Batallion what should i build next? BMP recon?, BMP Motor rifle company?.

get 1 more box T-64
i'd get the rifle company plastic box (unless you prefer quality of metal) and then 2 boxes of your prefered transport

good to go.

Another box of t64 and the the motor rifle company

My god, why can't i have a pseudo balanced cold war game, in a certain game that it is supposed to have rusian SEKRITS DOKUMENTS the T-64B have actually more armor than the M1 and the Challanger 1