How did Magic end up losing to Yugioh in the end?

How did Magic end up losing to Yugioh in the end?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=v-gg7B0Nu_A
youtu.be/-sDExe3GcBg
ygorganization.com/speedduelingto12worldpremieres/
discord.gg/ABATJQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Konami don't actively encourage SJWs or financial scalping. YGO is also more beginners friendly, with MTG players often revelling in the unfamiliarity of newcomers.

Except cube and proxy players; they're alright.

I'm more upset by the loss of duel masters.

Are you from an alternate reality?

Didnt magic cave in and make an interracial gay couple in their recent set?

I remember that day. They couldn't fit in all the players, so they had to get more room, they ran out of playmats, it took them over 3 hours to actually start. I gave up on round 3 because I was a shitter back then.

yes

lmfao what card is this??

Thats accurate to myth. Soldiers loved to fuck other men.

So is this thread just a circle jerk of /pol/, salty YGO players, and salty speculators?

Who said anything about /pol/?

what are you even on about user?

It seems that way. the SJW boogyman is ever present it seems but /pol/ will jump at it's own shadow because it's not white.

obvious samefag was obvious

Yugioh can't be a superior game to anything because it has no comprehensive rules. Rules and rulings are based on hearsay from a facebook group and a fan wiki.

MTG is so full of cryptic rulings and nuances, it makes playing YGO look like reading a McDonald's menu.

Except OCG has a comprehensive ruling database.

The OCG having a ruling database is as relevant to the TCG as pokemon having a ruling database. That is, not at all, and they are different games.

It had a show to ingrain itself in children's minds early.

The nuances are fully documented and consistent. They are not hidden on a facebook group and then filtered to a fan wiki ran by anime fans. They also aren't changed from tournament to tournament based on who the head judge is for the event.

This is the only official document you are instructed to reference during a judge test in yugioh. The TCG judge program is operated by hearsay. No other major card game has the audacity to operate a competitive scene with only the starter rules as an immutable reference.

yugioh is faster

It's accurate to the primitive nature of the Greeks, we've since progressed a little beyond the hedonistic anal violence of homosexual activity, and even a few Greeks understood the unhealthy nature of homosexuality, but we still have a ways to go, and boy will we go there, until we finally realize the true colour of the dead end to all that is good that constitutes all that is deviant and unhealthy sexuality.

faster, flashier creatures, bigger numbers, plus the anime.

the music gets stuck in your head

youtube.com/watch?v=v-gg7B0Nu_A

My local scene has more pokemon tcg players than yugioh.

Reminder that when XYZ was introduced, the only reference available for all the judges in NA was the quad-folded single piece of paper in the XYZ starter deck. The cards were not only allowed in the following YCS, but they were ruled incorrectly.

Reminder that there was a single regional where, for no reason and with no warning, chain disappearance banished monsters from the extra deck. This isn't the only time a head judge of a major event has personally errata'd cards to function incorrectly during the same day as the event, and only during that event.

Reminder that the one vendor that cared enough about the game to run their own large events lost their sanctioning from konami.

It's basically not possible to work as a vendor or TO for yugioh and not see that the competitive scene, the policy documents, judge program, and the way konami treats game stores are all bad jokes.

That is pretty rad.

Pokemon is the fasted growing TCG on the market right now both in percentage and number of players acquired. It's not even close.

Magic and yugioh have had some weak years. Magic had some bannings and poor formats recently that make it almost as warped as yugioh. Yugioh is doing what yugioh does, printing tier 0 decks and banning them 3 months later like clockwork.

Pokemon on the other hand hasn't had a single degenerate metagame in almost two years. It has an amazing staff, inter-generational appeal, and is experiencing a massive growth compared to what magic had in 2009-2010. The competitive scene in pokemon has defied expectations from its occasional cutesy coinflip mechanics and created metagames where the best players consistently top massive events with tight top cuts by their ability to navigate complex decision trees and tech for the metagame.

Because the pokemon franchise is massive, theres always kids getting into it and older pokefags playing it because its casual and fun.

youtu.be/-sDExe3GcBg

I'm jealous of YGO players because they get to make cool noises when they summon monsters and do stupid anime bullshit. We just get autists who carry around Funko pop Jace figures and 15 custom abacus life counters.

Holy shit you are really good at that kek

No

is it time?

WHAT DOES THAT DO?!

Why are so many yugioh players brainlets?

Magic is boring now, Yugioh is broken, usually lacks deck diversity, and is poorly managed, but at least it's interesting

it lets you draw 2 memes

but what if I'm a yugioh cube & proxy player?

you are the chad of Veeky Forums anons

What about the mtg players who gatekeep what real cards are by the amount you paid for text on cardboard?

thread lacks Veeky Forums promos

The paedophiles. Like that shit just isn't fair

Magic cowed to the secondary market and political pressures.

Konami went "We don't give a fuck-uru" and started hitting the reprint button till it broke while pumping out anime after anime to draw more people in.

In short Yugioh won due to marketing.

you mean they won because of that weird chinese island magic.

Yea they fucked up there, that was the point of no return for WOTC, Konami was probably sitting back laughing in chinaman the whole time.

story time?

ygorganization.com/speedduelingto12worldpremieres/

Then share yo' list, nigga

Yugioh fags are used to Konami dicking them over at every corner. WOTC's fuckery only really started showing around 2-3 years ago.
It's like comparing someone who's been getting anal daily and slowly going up in size to getting a dragon dildo jammed all the way to the base with zero experience.

>People unironically think Konami doesn't bow down to soccer moms (which are just a different brand of SJWs) by censoring cards and changing names
>People also forgetting that Konami does stupid rarity bumps, jacking up prices before they eventually reprint them or gimping the decks through banlists
>Some don't even realize they turn certain cards into event prize cards and sometimes don't even bother to reprint them down the road

Regardless WotC can burn anyway for keep sabotaging anything that isn't MtG throughout the 2000s, Hasbro buying WotC was a mistake

So what would you consider Master Rule 4 be? Double anal?

google magicgate, all kinds of shit shows up.

it's still going currently.

A company called Channel Fireball (no I don't know why they're called that) held (holds? It's only been two months) the exclusive contract to judge all MTG tournaments in NA. But Chanel Fireball didn't do any background checks whatsoever for their judges. Which resulted in them having employed multiple convicted paedophiles as top-level judges. Not alleged, not accused, not on trial; done deal convicted paedophiles. So the sole people who are allowed to judge official MTG tournaments had around 4-5 paedophiles mixed in at senior positions doing the judging. Like these guys got discovered because they were on the Sex-offenders register and someone just put two-&-two together.

So the paedophiles don't work for WotC or Hasbro, but they do work for the company with the sole rights to judge any MTG tournament and must be present at any Hasbro sanctioned tournament. This got exposed around the New Year and the paedophiles have had their DCI numbers life-time banned from ever attending MTG tournaments.

>So what would you consider Master Rule 4 be? Double anal?
That's Links and the extra deck revision, right? Yeah, something along those lines.

This only applies to tcg. OCG master race.

>paedo
Where the fuck do you originate from?

Holy shit, how do you JUST so badly?

paedo is the original spelling

Outside of burgerland retard, ie. a country that didn't take letters out of words because they were "too expensive"

WOTC is lazy and didn't want to host their own major events and got Channel Fireball to do it. I don't know when it started but last year they got full reigns of it. I remember my friends at GP Portland had to wait like an hour between rounds for at least half the tournament or something ridiculous because they had awful software.
It was a really bad call.

I mean this is at the same time as the card stock issue too, let alone all that twitter shit

Hi Jeramey

I'd say that while Yugioh was ahead of magic for a while, Magic has long since caught up.

It was more popular for a while for two reasons really. simpler rule, and the anime. The first made it easier for new players to pick it up, the second made it so more people knew about it. I've known about yugioh since I was eight, I only learned Magic was a thing when I was in college. Yugioh was mainstream; Magic wasn't.

But Yugioh's popularity has dwindled, partly due to falling interest in the anime (Which had some really unpopular series, among other things), completely unchecked power creep making it unfun to play, and a massive increase in parasitic cards making it much more difficult to build a deck -- initially you could open ten boosters off a shelf and make a functional deck from it, but specific support cards for archetypes, and archetypes in general, are much more integral now.

Yugioh is no longer the juggernaut it once was.

Yugioh just had its largest YCS in Bochum, its definitely not dwindling.

That was the largest European YCS. Largest YCS is still YCS Long Beach 2012.

By deciding sometime in the last three years to absolutely fuck their shit up. They just straight up said fuck it and tanked themselves

Lmao wtf even is this thread

Because Konami told investors to fuck off by constantly reprinting expensive cards, so their players can actually play the game.

discord.gg/ABATJQ

Probably referring to a specific Jeremy that isn't me, but hello. How are you, friend?

>playmats for everyone
why? I've never seen anyone actually use those

Because it is one of those "special" ones for the 100th YCS tournament, the 75th SJC (before it got rebranded) also gave away a special playmat and had 2000+ participants for the first time. Then again they are useless now because Extra Monster Zone happened

I love that skull servents were a thing for a while

People still use old mats. MR4 didn't stop them.

I feel like I wandered into a thread from the god damn Twilight Zone.

FPBP. You also forgot that MTG has a story that is complete garbage with unlikable main characters.

When was it not losing? Normies have never heard of Magic but they all remember the anime their kids (or I guess they themselves now) watched

One has a brand, the other is a niche

How's that any different from Yugioh?

HAVE YOU ALREADY PRAISED YOUR LORD AND SAVIOR SETO KAIBA TODAY Veeky Forums???

The anime. As a kid it really won me as a advertisement.

Been watching clips of my boy Kaiba and honestly, makes me want to spend money. Power of the anime is big for selling people things

Yugioh's story isn't obtuse or an active part of the card game. You can just buy any cards and not have to worry about any lore.

There's all the policy document, but you are right. For the longest time even the eight steps of the battle step was entirely a creation of the Judges. And it decided how important cards like Honest worked. You are right though, Yugioh has a serious problem with consistent rulings. Rulings change per event and you have to be in the know sometimes to make the right deckbuilding decisions. I remember back in 2013 I brought Mermails to the YCS and didn;t side transmigration prophexy thinking it was trash. Literally as I sit down in front of my opponent for round 1 we are told transmigration prophecy trumps mermail and atlantean effects. I lost some games to the lucky few who decided to side in that previously trash card. The game needs serious reform.

But having said that, magic itself is in need of reform as well. Awful sets, tight fisted reprints, and this insane social justice nonsense that does not belong in card games. Magic needs to go back to being fun, which it hasn't been in a while. Yugioh however is experiencing a renaissance.

>simpler

I see you have never actually played Yugioh. I would like to see you play zoodiac with the Norden combo. Literal tens of hours to learn how to even pick up and play the deck. Not play it competently, but learn to play it. What deck exists like that in magic? Don't even get me started on Infernity Loops.

Yeah, there's reference to how none of them wanted other people to watch them fuck because then one would be known as the woman, and the Sacred Band of Thebes was a whole contingent required to be gay.
You can put gay dudes in not-Greece and not-Japan and it's not an SJW thing, that's just them researching the setting.

>ITT Jeremy creates a thread and talks to himself for several replies once again displaying his nearly full blown schizophrenia

I still use my fucking Phantom Darkness sneak peak mat.

Was missed timing ever officially addressed? I still remember getting absolutely floored by that and it genuinely felt like people were bullshitting me so I couldn't get my free summon of Gadjiltron Dragon when Geartown got replaced.

It's official breh.

Its an official ruling. They usually dont put it on newer cards though, only to stop infinite loops.

You had to set your field spell on top of gear town to make it not miss timing. It got me too.

The field spell destruction rule is gone though, so if you want to trigger geartown, just use catapult.

>/pol/ will jump at it's own shadow because it's not white
kek

actually the exact opposite.

MtG players like to pretend their game isnt cucked, while Yugioh is better than ever.

Yugioh really is a great game. It's supposed to be crazy and have all sorts of different things available. Demonic stuffed animals, The Divine Comedy, Star Wars combined with the Wizard of Oz, sports and all sorts of crazy shit. People complaining about the sets having no themes are stupid. It's the game with the most freedom in deck building.

Themed sets are pretty great, Yugioh had a themed sets long ago and it was glorious.

I mean, wasn't there an army of gay soldiers in both Greek and Roman history? Seems to be inspired by that.

Well, expanded is a bit of a different beast. I mean, Night March and all that. Also their major hate for Zoroark-GX.

Thank the lord for the reprints.