/tsrdnd/ - Comfy TSR D&D

Still playing TSR D&D since 1974!

> Treasure Chest: pastebin.com/YGUiCdYi

Past Threads: Thinking of making a dungeon map this weekend. What are you up to?

Other urls found in this thread:

scruffygrognard.com/documents/OD&D SV.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm trying to get together my old B/X group. We might go with OD&D this time, though: never played that before.

What is the best option to get OD&D these days? The original booklets are impossible to obtain and the one shot I took to print the pdfs through Lulu set me back $35 and still didn't really come out the way I wanted...

I love the OP pictures, is there some kind of collection of these?

>all editions of dnd post adnd are shit
>want to capture the feeling of the 80s pnp
>no players to play it with, they just play shit like savage worlds or 4e

I want to be out of this timeline. I just wanna run a comfy greyhawk campaign.

I couldnt agree more

>What are you up to?
Honestly, relaxing. Ive been suing an insurance co for the better part of 5 years and i finally got my day in court yesterday.
We fucking destroyed them in court, and we have a huge bad faith case against em too, so the last few weeks of final preparation have been super stressful.
In the near future im starting a new 1on1 game with my wife in 2e. She got into ttrpgs cause of me, and she very much enjoys 2e (minus a lot of the splatbook material).
Im going with a archaeology slant to the game. I use Greyhawk as our setting (again, she loves it) so i made up an artificers guild who go out and find lost tombs and shit not for the riches and bitches (again, my wifes term, i love it) but for historical information and artifacts. Shes into history and archaeology, so shes excited as hell for it and so am i.

Where are you located, user?

why does this thread exist?

Because TSR D&D is great and I feel comfy discussing it

why not use the thread that already served this purpose?

Checked. Also, beware of b8

Why do you think it's bait?

Barcelona

Please direct me to said thread

Alas, Rotterdam here.

When these generals first appeared, they were filled with dbags shitposting away. Im not saying it was def b8, just a friendly reminder

So sad

Unfortunately, the OSR general threads are mostly about TSR D&D derivatives and shitposting about those.

Back on topic: what books do you have readily available at the table for quick referencing?

No Greyhawk for us :(

What is the best TSR era campaign setting and why it is Planescape?

I wish i could stomach online gaming, id be happy to run a tsr greyhawk campaign for you anons

Because Lorraine Williams was too busy to pay attention to it
When she did it’s no wonder they created an entire adventure based on how she was killing the line - the Iron Shadow

There are faggots in this thread RIGHT NOW who don't understand how awesome Dragonlance is

>Bartha
I like your town, it's comfy. All of Spain had good bakeries, but the Catalonians had the best ones, and also the cutest women.
I'd play, friend. I miss having buddies in town. Thursday nights I'd unroll the dry-erase play mat and we'd roll dice. My first exposure to D&D was a Gygax Greyhawk book.

Tbh I have decided over the years that the pnp rpgs must be played in person or not be played at all.

Great setting, horrible modules. I really liked the idea of it, and for sure the books were good (they were new when i was a kid, and i read a ton of em) but the way they handled adventures was the textbook example of railroading

Spelljammers. That was the most amazing set.

We're literally a containment thread, leave us to our 75 posts so we can remake tomorrow and keep /osrg/ free of the ridiculous shitposting..

I agree, i just cant stomach it online, i tried and came to the same conclusion. People at a table is where its at.

>someone saying good things about my town

I hate it alright, but its still better than most shitholes in the iberic peninsula.
Tfw an independent republic never

But some of the stuff in the core and splats is great. The table that shows the phases of the moons and how that influences magic is awesome. I think that particular table was in the 1E edition.

Better than Madrid, that whole city smells like pee.
Franco was right, though like Mussolini, he was ruined by trying to get the Meds to do shit on time

I have high hopes for Talespire combined with vent/ts/chat of your choice. It's still incredibly difficult to get 4+ adults to coordinate schedules. Everybody's got something going on.
The best part about Spelljammer is EVERY game can eventually turn into a Spelljammer game.

Franco was an inbred manlet, typical exemplar of interior spain.
But lets not derail the thread.

>making a dungeon map
I like this map someone made 1983. Wonder what the difference between white and black doors is tho.

> is there some kind of collection of these
pic and what was posted in is what exists so far

>The best part about Spelljammer is EVERY game can eventually turn into a Spelljammer game.
You're not wrong. Reading the Spelljammer books and finding out where the Spelljammer ports were in different worlds was neat. It added something to things and made wider ranging campaigns more feasible.

>The best part about Spelljammer is EVERY game can eventually turn into a Spelljammer game.

That is why Spelljammer is objectively the worst.

With the local group that I ultimately quit, we couldn't play normal 2e. Oh no, that's too much to ask for. Every single campaign, EVERY.SINGLE.CAMPAIGN. session two would have Spelljammers show up and surprise, y'all Spelljammin' now bid your setting goodbye!

If you built your character for this and took Spelljammer NWP's so you could be, you know, not incompetent to the levels of slapstick, then the GM and his aspie brother would get buttblasted because you "ruined the surprise."

Couldn't even ask for just a spelljamming campaign so we could have some pretense of agency. Niggers, the both of them.

>inb4 get new players

This was 2001, when Dial-up in my rural area was still a luxury and this was the only game in town.

I am still salty.

I had a couple brothers like that... fucking annoying as stepping in dogshit when out on a date:
>all make mirror image copies of mary sue chars from FR novels
>convinced i have no idea they were carbon copies of artemis entreri, drizzle dofaggot, bruenor etc
>get ass ravaged when i tell them things like "artemis entreri would have likely done X, user. I know you read Y novel"
>always looking for lost dwarven kingdoms, claiming huge families of dwarves ready to move right in, "i want to make a magic cat figurine"

Theres a lot more, but those assholes were insufferable.
The worst part of it was that they had the god damned PHB and the DMG and still constantly misquoted rules and fudged critical information on their character sheets.
>be a mary sue xerox, a Fighter/Theif
>@ 2nd level save vs poison is 10
nigger please, dont lie to me and tell me theres a rule that applies here, you have no magic items, let alone one that gives you a bonus to that saving throw or any other
YOUR GOD DAMNED BOOKS ARE RIGHT THERE, I OWN THEM TOO, STOP LYING TO ME AND EVERYONE ELSE HERE!

I booted them and soon just got another group together. I lived next to a huge naval base and ended up a lad of 16 playing with heavy drinking sailors and their wives/gfs. It was absolutely amazing.

Just got my hands on a Rules Cyclopedia. Any advice for running this?

The Tweedle brothers (dee and dumb) knew the rules inside and out. And as players were okay (Dumb had some wish fulfillment issues where he HAD to be the biggest and best but you could work around that as a GM if you knew how to call him on it). But I will never be able to play Shadowrun, Spelljammer, Planescape, or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & Other Strangeness ever again because of them.

>What are you up to?
I'm mostly learning 5e. I've been away from the hobby for a long time. The way people play the game now seems fucking retarded. I'm not a voice actor, sorry...

Simple and slow. Try a dungeon crawl in a relatively small dungeon.
Any specific things you need help with?

>The way people play the game now seems fucking retarded.
I refuse to use voices, i never have and i never will. I attempted to sit in on a 'modern' game of WotC crap, and the entire time i played, using a premade character, i was told "that doesnt *sooouuunnnnd* like Hurr Durr the Fagnificent"
I hate non tsr fantasy swords n sorcery, i grew up playing BECMI, and settled on AD&D as my game of choice for the genre.
Id honestly suggest finding a real DnD group, as youll most likely be disappointed with the style of gameplay and how role playing is done these days.
In addition, TSR D&D is a system your more familiar with it seems

I’ve been a DM for about 4 years now, mostly with homebrews. Was wondering if there’s anything especially cool I should make sure to not ignore.

Locked and unlocked?

Honestly, id keep building on the simple things with the rules that work best for you.
Theres a big issue i have with games these days and their associated systems: these early editions of D&D (and most if not all of TSRs games catalogue at the time) were built on the premise of DMs being able to adjudicate rules and situations as they see fit so that it makes sense for the game everyone wanted. The RC is a great example of a base system that has things from later resources that for the most part you can bolt on to the base system.

You can buy the Rules Cyclopedia on DriveThruRPG, it's print on demand and a hardcover copy is only $30 plus shipping.

That's not OD&D.

That map seems awfully familiar...

Well, it is though, BECMI is just the original books plus expansion books and rules, sure it's Basic but you're gonna have a hard time finding any OD&D for less than a hundred plus dollars.

Maybe you can find the "Premium Original Dungeons & Dragons Fantasy Roleplaying Game" that Wizards made as a special reprint.

>it is though, BECMI is just the original books plus expansion books and rule
By that logic every TSR edition is OD&D.

Dragonlance is BY FAR th emost shit TSR product line. It's almost as stupid as the Catalonian independence movement.

Anybody ever run anything in birthright?

You should ask about this in /osrg/, where the posters aren't all shitposting ignorant spegs. They have a solution, which shouldn't be spread too much.

Spoiler that shit you greedy poorfag.

>there *is* a spoiler
>greedy poorfag because of disliking Dragonlance
This makes no sense, user. Not even ironic sense. It's just baffling.

The spoiler request was a joke. Greedy poorfag also referred to the second sentence.

scruffygrognard.com/documents/OD&D SV.pdf

Game ain't no gold digger. Can be had by a broke nigger.

>Greedy poorfag also referred to the second sentence.
Then I still don't get it. I live in an actual rich country, I'm not a dago. It's just a stupid idea to want to break out is all, and the separatists' dumb fucking leaders aren't making it any better with their bizarre attempts at legal sophistry and pretending that it's police ultraviolence if some cunt tries to block the police from doing their job and gets forcibly removed. That movement's an international laughing stock.

>SV
>think for a moment it's a fan-assembled version of Rob Kuntz's Supplement V: Kalibruhn

>Supplement V: Kalibruhn

If The Greyhawk Ranger ever finished uploading his El Raja Keys ISO, I can get you that, too. Go lurk the PDF Share thread

There is a print-on-demand version of OD&D books on lulu, I don't have the link though

It was a huge success back then, wasn't it? Why is it dead now?

Do you guys started with TSR D&D or got into it later on?

I started with Palladium Rifts, then moved into Palladium Fantasy, THEN TSR D&D (2nd edition), then B/X D&D.

Now I've pretty much abandoned all D&D's except for browsing these threads in fits of nostalgia.

Always wanted to give it a try, never had the opportunity.
The material had some pretty good art, i always thought. I remember being a kid and wishing Greyhawk had the same treatment

Can someone recommend me a module which captures the 2nd edition and late 80s/90s rpg feel like wizardry, ultima, eye of the beholder such and such?

>Now I've pretty much abandoned all D&D
What do you play these days?

>inb4 nothing

He did, I got it. It's not a PDF, so I thought for a second somebody had cleaned up the notes and made a proper book out of it. Is S5:K the first points-based magic system for D&D?

It's interesting to see that one of the earliest D&D planar models was similar to (non-Core Domain) Ravenloft.

I started with it, my parents and their friends never bothered moving from 2e to 3e.

>Why is it dead now?
The hype from the original novel series has faded, and the newer ones didn't drum up enough. Also, no 4e support.

Meant to ask in the last thread but what are your favorite kits?
I like the Philosopher from Complete Necromancer, the Wokani from Red Steel, and the that Thoth-themed wizard from Dragon

Time of the Dragon is good
Mainline Dragonlance is trash
Cute girls though

Got started with Star Wars d20 revised, progressed to 3.5, discovered the older edition archive on WOTC, got thoroughly confused, then got into OSR a few years ago. I've got a lot of nostalgia for Maztica because it was the first product that showed me that D&D didn't have to be just European-based anachronism clusterfucks.

>my parents and their friends never bothered moving from 2e to 3e.
My parents don't even know what an RPG is...

To be completely honest, for the next two months I won't be playing anything.

When my group gets back together, I'm running Genesys for them, my GM's husband wants to run Runequest. Or more likely Hawkmoon. I'm trying to convince my GM to run Talislanta, but that's more of a half-hearted attempt than anything.

>what are your favorite kits?
Bladesinger and basically all of the Complete Thief's Handbook (the best brown-cover splat).

Back when I still played 2e: Crossbowdwarf.

>Meant to ask in the last thread but what are your favorite kits?
Greenwood Ranger

He posted it, I have a copy on my drive right now. It's pretty cool.

Because it's not the Forgotten Magical Realms, aka "the only D&D setting that WotC will bother with."

I started with Basic D&D in '81 or '82.

I love the idea of the setting and domain-level play really appeals to me, but I don’t want to order it off eBay unless I know it’s fun or not. Also I have no idea if the special subsystems for it are actually any good…

I hope that wherever you live decides to send coppers to bash in the heads of your family.

Too many novels, and licensing it to a third party in the 3e era.

Started with 2e in the nineties. Haven't played it in ages but I still have fond memories. I browse the threads but most of the time my experience doesn't match what the "old school playstyle" preach.

Make it the Keystone Kops and film it. I'd watch that.

That's not surprising. The "old school playstyle" was big in the 70s, falling out of favor in the mid 80s, and was basically an endangered species by the 90s, with just a handful of old grogs still playing that original style of game.

By your logic, 3.0 and 3.5 are two completely separate games with no similarities. Did you actually want a real answer on how to acquire OD&D books without breaking the bank or did you just come here to complain?

Basic is not the same as OD&D, dude. Even Holmes, the closest Basic edition, has changes from OD&D, and BECMI is miles away, with all sorts of crazy shit piled in.

So, does this thread have a hangup about playstyle, or am I allowed to actually want my games to somewhat resemble the myths and fantasy fiction they're supposedly based on here?

Work and commutes have taken up all my free time, so I no longer have time to read setting books. Can someone tell me the best and coolest possible shit in the various D&D settings? Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Dark Sun, Ravenloft etc. I know nothing of em.

Bonus points if you make the setting sound insane and gonzo by stating true facts about it. Like say, Mystara/The Known World has a hollow center, Scottish liches from actual Scotland, Elves from France, Fire-worshipping Atlanteans, an Empire ruled by 1000 max level drug-addicted wizards, wand machine guns, magitech helicopters, an island where tourists can visit and pretend to be adventurers, etc.

Bro, if my family members decide to obstruct the cops doing their job properly and seizing the material of an illegal insurrectionist coup, I'll bash their heads in myself if I can't make them see sense.

>am I allowed to actually want my games to somewhat resemble the myths and fantasy fiction they're supposedly based on here?
No. Don't pollute this comfy thread with your shit.

> hangup about playstyle
Only the anons visiting from /osrg/

>my experience doesn't match what the "old school playstyle" preach
What kind of game did you play back then?

>/osrg/
A silly place that is old school in name only

>arent making shit
Gee, i wonder. Ive seen what that pile of shitposts abound in /osrg/ and the content they produce. I was one of the few ppl that couldnt stand all the shitposting and dared speak against the blog advertising and specifically i shit on VotE for being the pile of hot garbage it is.
>they dont talk about DnD
was actually throwing quite a bone re: neat campaign idea, but then you get the unwashed masses from the osr thread shitting the place up.

What rules did you ignore or change? I doubt anyone plays by RAW, especially AD&D.

I have never seen anyone use
>weapon speed
>weapon vs armor type modifiers

>Ive seen what that pile of shitposts abound in /osrg/
>then immediately admits to being one of the shitposters
>also can't spell or construct a coherent sentence
You're making us look fucking bad here, user.
Plus Veins of the Earth is great, I like it a lot even though I run B/X

B/X; roll 3d6 in order; prime req must be at least 12; elves have two prime reqs; each time they advance in level magic users roll randomly for a new spell at the level of their choice--if they already know it too bad.