Money in RPGs

>Playing Dungeons and Dragons
>DM makes the currency conversion weird, 12 coppers to a silver and 20 silvers to a gold
>Given 4 gold pieces for completing a task
>Not 4 per person, 4 total
>Told this is a lot of money

Why can't my DM just give us normal amounts of money?

This is just the monetary system of WFRP...

Pounds, shillings, pence.
Wait for the half and quarter copper coins (ha'penny and farthing), half and quarter silver and gold.
Remember that a guinea is worth 21 shillings ( 1 gold and 1 silver)

>Why can't my DM just give us normal amounts of money?
1920 farthings = 480 pence = 40 shilling = 8 crowns = 3 marks = 2 pounds

17 pence and a farthing is enough for seven days food and shelter.

What's so hard to understand?

>This is just the monetary system of WFRP...
This is probably one of those threads where OP makes a semi-obscure reference and then touches himself with each post that fails to get the reference. We get them a lot on Veeky Forums these days.

>Remember that a guinea is worth 21 shillings ( 1 gold and 1 silver)
Are you sure us italians are with that much... not so sure man. Retail maybe

>Tracking money and ammo often becomes tedious busywork in many games
>I've yet to see a single well functioning abstract wealth or ammo system

You're probably worth the same as any other human when disassembled into your constituent elements...

No it isn't, 4 gold in WFRP can't buy shit

Well, is it a lot of money? What could you buy with 4 gold pieces in your game?

>DM makes the currency conversion weird, 12 coppers to a silver and 20 silvers to a gold
>he doesn't just use gold

Gold fucking triggers me as a common currency.
If some shitfarmer had gold coins laying around, he'd either be in a lot less or in a lot more trouble.

then use copper

Gold is ridiculously rare in real life, having giant Smaug-hoards of gold is ridiculous.

So is having dragons

That sounds nice
tfw no historically accurate peasant simulator DM

>He attributes it to a real-world metal and doesn't just call it coin

I actually call mine Sol

I had a DM try to do this shit
>Hurr my setting is unique so we operate at 1/20th of the standard exchange rate
>Have to do multiple conversions just to buy simple shit

I get it he's trying to justify not running around with thousands of gold pieces but come on man

My GM just does gold. It's like copper-silver-platinums don't exist.

I understand this pretty readily; if it's something that's worth less than 1 gold, who gives a shit? And why convert money into platinum? That's fucking dangerous!

>British currency conversions
I didn't know how badly I wanted this

I saw a post once where the monetary system was skewed to a silver standard. I thought it was a good idea. Gold was used for huge purchases, and was very rare.

Why do americans get so upset over retarded monetary units when D&D already uses full retarded units in everything else?

Give me an example of one of these retarded units that are apparently so commonly used.

Feet and pounds.

Not him, but turns and rounds.

It is literally impossible to remember the difference between a turn and a round.

miles and fahrenheit

>not rolling everyday for changes in market value adjusting for political shifts and changes to the safety of trade routes and charging percentages for currency exchange, why even bother having money at all if you won't even replicate currency markets

It would be better for you to just give each person a bottle of vodka 4 potatoes and a loaf of bread each week you pleb teir commie fuck

Sounds like your DM didn't read or reinvent Gygax's explanation of the hyper-inflated D&D economy.

>vodka 4 potatoes AND a loaf of bread
>Every week
Fucking burgeois fuck, you go to gulag first.

>Not living outside of Zimbabwe and having a stable enough economy that you can have consistent prices
Dream sweetly of Rhodesia my child.

Count yourself lucky, my DM has us use a barter system.

Is it streamlined or simplified at all, or are you having to RP for 30 minutes just to restock your quiver? A barter system doesn't seem awful, but it does seem like something that's easy to go overboard with and grind the game to a halt.

Shouldn't DnD's money system already be skewed to a silver standard? I mean, they just use gold as the point of reference when they shouldn't. Silver is the way more common currency.