Anyone else think that "role-playing" is cancer and the worst part of tabletop...

Anyone else think that "role-playing" is cancer and the worst part of tabletop? Who actually wants to waste time on faggy amateur theater hour instead of actually doing some kind of adventure? I hate it when we spend fucking hours listening to the DM put on stupid voices and "talking" with his oh so special NPCs who dont actually matter. It's not fun and it's not "immersive", whatever the fuck that means. It's cringey and childish and wasteful. Why do people act like shitty play acting is the most important part of the hobby, instead of the least like it actually is?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=sTSA_sWGM44
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Having too quiet a day at home, eh?

>instead of actually doing some kind of adventure?
>Why do people act like shitty play acting is the most important part of the hobby, instead of the least like it actually is?
Ok, what's the most important part to you?

Time to pay the troll toll.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=sTSA_sWGM44

7/10

Overegged shit. 1/10. kys

The tactical elements, risk/reward management, puzzle solving and dealing with encounters, that sort of thing. You know, actually doing things

You play a fighter and spend the session on your phone, eh user?

Electronics at the table is cancer too.

Sounds like you should check out Gloomhaven. I think you might like it! It is pretty good.

I agree with you OP, it has a tendency to be cringy and childish.

>Anyone else think that "role-playing" is cancer and the worst part of tabletop?
People will enjoy differing parts of the game. Some folks like to play for the story, some folks like the tactical side of things, some folks want to backstab people and steal coppers and get away with "evil acts".

You should find a group that enjoys the type of game that you do, and enjoy games with them. That doesn't mean that other parts of the game are less important to others, just that to you they're less important.

Find a group that maximises your fun, user! I know you can!

where does it say bait, can't find it

Also tends toward appalling sexual encounters and preachy bloviating about various forms of government and social organization.

Sounds like you'd rather play a board game than pen'n'paper.

Play a video game then, faggot. Or at least Warhammer if you avoid the RPers.

>Why do people act like shitty play acting is the most important part of the hobby, instead of the least like it actually is?
Because fun isn't a buzz word or an objective thing, but a subjective thing that doesn't care about your opinions.

FPBP
OP is mad at badwrong fun
I think roleplaying is fucking stupid as well, but I know people like it so I keep my mouth shut because it doesn’t effect me like a mature human being

Nah. I like the freedom of action and creative problem solving that tabletop adventure games allow, and ideally should reward. The sort of thing that formed the roots of the hobby and that nothing else can really provide.
I just hate that that comes part and parcel with and is often overridden by dumb junior actors club antics and people's cringe OCs fighting for the spotlight for their "character arcs" or what have you, at least for every group I've run across

To be fair though, what's the point of a Vietnamese paperclip forum if not to anonymously vent? It's not like anyone on Veeky Forums is interested in actually discussing things or creating content. Just shitflinging and >one line smug replies

You’re right OP, the hobby was irrevocably damaged when we started referring to D&D and D&D clones as RPGs instead of adventure games.

Roleplaying is fucking shit.

So the OSR general has started to leak I see.

Pointing out that NPCs don't matter, or calling a particular style of play cringey or childish, when you're talking about a game (which inherently does not matter) which is widely considered cringey and childish (and this notion goes back to its roots as a tabletop wargame) is just showing off a lack of self-awareness.

In a universe without values, people create values, and sometimes they conflict with your own.

>That pic

Jesus, you made my eyes hurt user.

Fuck off you retarded luddite, a digital sheet is easier to handle, especially if you're playing with a crunchy system (and you're not a brainlet playing le epic barbarian who charges xd). Shitty players will be shitty players even if you play in the middle of a fucking Amish farm.

I'm not sure why NPCs wouldn't matter under a "no acting" mindset. OP seems to be arguing for a more tactical/operational game and God has always been on the side of big battalions.

And as you approach the Blu Gallows, the smell of fish, cheap bourbon and seagull feces quickly invades your nostrils. These filth-stained docks are the city's only means to access oversea goods, but the rather expensive maintenance keeps them from being a lucrative business.
As you casually wander around the Gallows, you notice that most fishermen are selling really cheap bait on the streets. Would you like to roll Investigation in order to figure out why no one is fishing?

If only it weren't impossible to buy outside of the US

You sound like you play Pathfinder

To discuss things without the accumulated baggage and de facto caste system of online forum identities, you twat.

>this thread again
Sage. GTFO Kyle

>ITT man who has never played tabletop games criticises an element of tabletop gaming.

So go play a board game that allows that. Can't you see how stupid you are by saying you don't like roleplaying in a roleplay game?

>where do you think we are.png.jpg.exe.txt.png