>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/
What is your character afraid of, /5eg/? Have you ever had your character run in fear without being magically subjected to the Frightened condition?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/15187155
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for: What whacky builds have you been dying to play for a oneshot or a non-serious campaign?

My character grew up poor. Eating a half of a proper meal every 4-5 days poor. He is very insecure about losing his food out of fear of starvation.

Anyone have good resources for Eberron? I've read most of the 3rd and 4th edition stuff in the trove. Any exceptional adventures I should look at, or particularly interesting concepts?

Do you have any recommendations for a beginner friendly one-shot adventure?
Four friends and I are gonna try DnD for the first time on Sunday, none of us have ever played an RPG before, and I'm DMing. We haven't set a specific session length and we have the whole day free, so it could be as long as necessary.
It'd also be a huge help if the adventure came with its own maps so I didn't have to learn how to make those right now.

If relevant, the party so far is a half-elf hexblade warlock, a high elf ranger, a human paladin, and the last guy still hasn't made his. All level one.

Anyone have any experience with campaigns that take place largely on the high seas or island hopping?

hadn't really though about this much until the DM threw some nothics at us and one learned one of my secrets. I decided that my paladin would have arachnophobia that day

Just take the things that casters require or enjoy that could be applied to a lesser extent to other stuff and build the class around it. A lot of spells require line of sight, so this Fighter can attack without needing to see their target. Most spells require verbal components, so this Fighter can create a short-range moving zone of Silence around them x times/ long rest.Casters usually like to be far away, so this Fighter is capable of pulling enemies towards them or trapping enemies in place so they can't escape. All of these things would be useful no matter who you're fighting, but they'd be especially useful against casters. Maybe throw in the ability to cast Detect Magic as a ritual and Counterspell every so often.

I hear Lost Mines of Phandelver is a pretty good starting point. You can find it in the adventurers section of the 5etools link in the OP, seems to have maps as well.

I’ve never played it, but I think the starter set has all that you need. Shouldn’t be terribly expensive since you probably got your books as free pdfs.

Seconding Lost Mines.

Madness of the Rat King

Goliath or mountain dwarf siege engineer. You need weapon summoning (EK or pact blade 3), fast hands (thief 3) and haste (EK 13 or sorc/ wiz 5).
You summon a cannon, use you fast hands bonus action, main action and hasted action to load, aim and fire a cannon for 8d10 on the same turn.
Either it requires a really level 16 (EK/ thief) or a somewhat ridiculous mix of MC-ing (rogue, caster, warlock) and you somehow have to find a magical cannon to bond.
Oh, also archery fighting style gives you +2 to hit with it.

Gonna be DMing for the first time next week. First session partys gonna escape the cell of a pirate ship and from slavery into a buried city under not!rome. Gonna heavily rip off OotA chapter 1.
What I'm thinking then though, is to place the Sunless Citadel into the buried city.
How good is Sunless Citadel? I hear some say it's a good introduction to 5e, but would you say it's too ambitious for a first time DM?

DMs, are there any races from the PHB you do not allow players to pick? Do you allow races from Volo's?

>PHB
No, all are allowed
>Volos
Only if they make sure it's not for Min/Max reasons/gamebreak reasons

>PHB
variant human
>volos
any of the monster races, unless it's an evil campaign or a one shot

Maybe the line of sight and zone of silence could be somehow mixed into one? Sort of a ‘kick up some weird dust cloud that blocks vision and mutes people by stuffing their mouths full of dust’?

I generally won't allow the evil races (Drow, Goblinoids, Orcs...) without really good justification as to why they're not evil. I also make sure to let them know ahead of time that they don't have the humans rights that normal races have and will be treated like shit.

I'm sure you're all well liked and successful people.

>when you can't run LMoP because all your players are TAZ fans and will obsessively reference or try to recreate the material at best or not enjoy themselves at all because you're nowhere near as creative as Griffin at worst

Why? For treating monsters like monsters?

>PHB
No
>Volos
Yes, Yuan-ti. All others are fair game. I'll even buff goliaths (cold resistance) and maybe goblins and orcs.

My character has a traumatic phobia of bugbears, wolves, dragons, and telepathic creatures

A Beholder PC would be one thing but the Volo's "monsters" just aren't any more "monstrous" than tieflings. No society is a hive mind, Gary.

My first character had a trauma with Bugbears too. That damned Klarg, literally killed half of my party.

it's less because they're usually evil or because they're monstrous and more because they're all poorly designed and imbalanced. yuan-ti are the worst offenders but hobgoblins are obnoxious, kobolds for some god forsaken reason get pack tactics, and orcs are basically worse than half-orcs.

What are you guys favorite enemy?
mines hobgoblins because they're fucking awesome

>Volo's "monsters" just aren't any more "monstrous" than tieflings
Sure, maybe in your setting. In my, and many other peoples', settings, a race made up of 99.9% murderous raiders won't be treated like people.

Yes I usually do not allow drow, tieflings, goblins, or orks. Society just hates them and ther would be a price fr their heads on-sight with no questions asked. Their rime is their existence.

>a race made up of 99.9% murderous raiders
Riveting, chap.

I ran it in the greyhawk setting, sunless citadel is fucking excellent albeit a little bit long. It took my party 2-3 4 hour sessions to clear, but they were inexperienced players.

But humans are, historically, 99.9% murderous raiders...

Why did your DM last reward you with inspiration?

I sucked his dick

humans aren't to be trusted desu

The wizard in my party who spoke draconic interrogated a kobold for about 15 minutes trying to figure out the mystery of a pair of doors he guarded. He got nothing useful out of him, turns the party, and shrugs. I then ask him to ask the kobold about the doors.

are you seriously fucking sperging because a dm has the need for mook races of evil beings in a fantasy hack n slash game?
Are you projecting something on the orcs?

What, he didn't just have a spell to solve the whole issue of the doors?

one DM hands inspiration out at the start of each session for free just because

the last time I earned inspiration was during death house when my paladin valiantly attempted to drag our half-orc warlock out of the basement after we woke up the shambling mound

I totally agree. Goblins for example should have great synergy with rogue, instead a goblin rogue gains a dead level. It's like they said "Hey these are monsters so most DMs won't allow them so we can just say fuck it and do it half-assed."

>Are you projecting something on the orcs?
Enough cum to drown a Gnome.

What type of orcs we talking here?

I don't discriminate.

You can have mooks from classic enemy races without every single member of that race thinking like a merciless raider, you unimaginative lout.

This. This is rubbish. You should be able to play any kind of creature you want to play and have balanced stats for it. This game is tiresome.

Just started my first campaign.
I have a role-play questions even if I guess it depends on the group I play with:
Should I try to never break character except asking for game mechanic questions?
Is it bad to sometimes jump in conversation, or try to trigger casual talk between member?

Our DM is making us run the 'tomb of annihilation' and he does not let us talk to each other much outside of "What do you do now?"
Basically we were all gather in a room and sent to an island without much time to talk to each other. I do not think that's really roleplaying to not let us a trying to know stuff about each other character.

It was only one session so, again, I might be completely wrong on this.

My party actually managed to kill that thing. At level 2, baby! It took a lot of dodging and corpse-tanking from me, the half-orc paladin, while the rest of the group wore it down from range. And a lot of stress as I thought I was going to die at any moment. It also took a bit of strategizing and, unfortunately, backseat gaming, as they were not as experienced players.

If you aren't playing a variant human and your DM doesn't give out bonus feats I can imagine that most people wouldn't skip an ASI to take one, especially at the lower levels that are more common.

Where are my Thri-Kreen, you duplicitous bastard? You said the praying mantis was your spirit animal, you two-faced conman. You said bringing them to 5e was an inevitability, you shameless charlatan.

>you enter a cave
>sixteen orcs, armed to the teeth, obviously belligerent
>wait guys, maybe one of this orcs is a good orc and can worm with us

Do whatever you wsnt on your tabletop, but fuck off with the whole evil races deconstruction thing. You think that it's smart, and adds complexity to a game, and as everything, I say: maybe. It's fantasy and in certain games there are mooks that need to be mowed down without having to regard everytime for moral dilemmas. In certain others you are expected to empathize and reason with hostile npcs. Either thing is okay, just don't be a faggot about your position.

>a majority of D&D characters don't use feats
I just flat out don't believe him.

It's not like he's aware of the details of every session ever played. There's no way to track this.

Proof you insufferable hack, post your proof or get the fuck outta my face.

Break ooc as much as you feel the need to. Ask, discuss, have fun, comment on how hilarious the last sheaningan was.Then return to the deep dwarf voices and stupid bantz. If your DM limits your player interactions to such a degree, he either is inexperienced or has a stick up his ass.

>Fuck you for using the default lore of D&D

The book straight up says you need a very good reason to play a monstrous PC in a party that's not Evil because they are very likely to be Evil. In the Alignment section of their stats they are all described as being Evil for some reason or another. You're arguing that your homebrew bullshit is right and everybody else is wrong.

Of fucking course all the armed orcs in the cave are murderous bastards, that's not what I'm saying.

I think an orc that wandered into town with a group of normie races would probably not be nearly as alarming as stumbling into a group of obviously combat-ready orcs in their own camp.

Most of them I don't allow. I don't really like monsterous PC races. They bore me. Oh wow you're a good drow or a good orc ... Yawn.

Where is he getting this from? Adventurer's League? Does AL use feats?

How is that more boring than a good elf or a good half-orc?

His ass, he's getting it from his ass

What are some good excuses you guys have heard for playing a drow? I never played a character from a hated race but it might be fun.

And yet he keeps throwing around phrases like "most players" to justify shit like Healing Spirit being a completely fine spell and Lore Wizard being a must-have archetype.

>hurr durr lemme provide a counterpoint to your broad example

There's certain players in my main group that I would not allow to play a monstrous race, because I know its only because of troll and/or min/max reasons.

For you DMs that use homebrew settings, is your setting unique in some fashion from, say, Forgotten Realms or Eberron, and if so, how?

I'm struggling to decide on whether to use the setting I've been using so far (a 3pp setting from the PF era that I fell in love with previously) or whether I want to finally buckle down and write my own.

I don't want to write a setting that doesn't have at least one or two things that make the setting unique, or at least different in some fashion from the established ones.

Yeah that's exactly what I did.
Something that I do not understand: Charisma is supposed to defined the social skills, wit and how well your character express itself right?
someone with low charisma is still be able to make jokes, lead people etc ... ?

All my comrades have 8 in charisma except the wizard and me (druid), and I was wondering if that would define right away how much you should talk and how you should talk.

why are people upset about this?

Likely uses DNDBEYOND

I had one player make a half-drow, but Toadeye was fun. I've never had one play a full drow before; or really anything other than humans, half-elves, or elves.

I've wanted someone to play a dwarf, but no one wanted to.

Good half-orc are boring as hell as well. How is it more boring? Because no one does anything interesting with it. What I like about humans and more of the normal races is that there is no alignment attached to them. Players when making a moral decision won't rely on subversion and pretend that makes a good character.

Also a good orc is as rare as a good demon. If demons were a player race would you allow players to play them as lawful good? These beings that are MADE out of chaotic evil? I would hope not.

Sounds like you have a problem with bad players more than the races having anything intrinsically wrong with them.

Because Crawford and Mearls are out of touch with the playerbase and keep making garbage design decisions because of it. This tweet in particular means that there probably won't be any more new feats for a very long time, or worse the ones that do come out won't be balanced properly because "nobody uses them anyway lol."

The races are meaningless. They have no hold because they can change from setting to setting but please explain to me how a goblins, who in my setting are only male and reproduce through rape, can be played good.

All I'm saying is if you have set out a race as evil it makes no sense to have some lawful good version of it. There is no backstory that justifies it and players will merely do boring subversion.

charismatic characters are encouraged to act and be percieved as more social, eloquent and de-facto leaders, even if as a player you're socially inept. You can make jokes and stuff alriht, but npcs and pcs will be more reticent to be lead by a low charisma character, and it will be more difficult to convince other characters or motivate them with a battle speech.

ask anything you need pal

>edgelord is also a shit DM
Who would have thought?

>So then I told them that maybe our lot in life would improve if we stopped being retards for a minute and didn't backstab each other at the first opportunity
>And that's how I got those seven stab scars in my back

Well /5eg/? Is he right?
strawpoll.me/15187155

>Shit dm
So you've never played in a game where races are put off the table? You just randomly pick a race alignment class combo and justify it through backstory then get angry if the DM says no?

Oh yeah I'm sorry you're right I'm an edgelord. Demons should be played as nice cuddly fiends who don't do horrific things to people. Playing them any other way is being edgy.

Didn't we just get a bunch of new feats published in Xanathar's?

If "most players" include normies who try it out once and never again then sure. I seriously have a hard time believing that anyone who puts even the least effort into reading possible character choices will take an interest in feats.

I'm running into a slight problem, I'm a new GM running my first ever D&D game, most of my players are new, but 2 are not.

Were on session 3 and combat has been worrisome to an extent, the 3 new players are taking some hits here and there and doing okay damage, but the two experienced ones are sitting at 17 AC (lvl 4) and dealing quite a bit of damage each turn. So theyre not really taking any hits.

Im worried about if i increase the skill of the enemies that the weaker ones wont be able to handle it, theyre barely hanging on as is.

What would you recommend?

My current character is a level 1 gnome. Your poll is shit because it doesn't account for past characters in 5e.

>they added new feats in Xanathar's
>humans, the race that uses feats most often, only got one new feat that can also be taken by a few other races
>but they keep adding options and variants to tieflings and elves/helves to deprive them of any unique flavor and just make them able to do anything

What did they mean by this?

just increase the level, albeit do it in an organical way:some combats will be piss easy, some super hard.
Experienced players will have to care for the newbs and thus balance the game. If they don't, party will break and everyone will die.
Can you tell what the characters are and which are the experienced ones?

Spellcrafting question:

My DM is open to arcane casters being able to create their own spells through research and study and practice.

What are some pitches I could give him for some low-level spells that really have a strong necromancy feel prior to 5th level? False Life and Ray of Sickness aren't doing it for me I need some minions ASAP.

for me, elves and half-elves get minor bully

Figure it I yourself fag stick, if you don't shave the chops to be a wizard on your own then you don't deserve to be babied. Maybe sorcerer is more your speed

If everyone that ever had a character with a feat counted as a "yes" that would massively skew the data.

What would you ask? "Have most of your characters had at least one feat?"

You know Animate Dead is 3rd level, right?

Try again, but sound it out this time.

Yeah we got Elven Accuracy, Prodigy, and a bunch of poorly designed horseshit.

"Did the last character you played that was level 4 or higher have a feat?"

New Players
- Tiefling Warlock
- Elven Bard
- Dragonborn Sorcerer

Experienced
- Half-orc Fighter
- Human Barbarian

I do see that the new players also all happen to be casters btw

Probably meant below 5th character level...

If I stay in my demiplane after the hour is up, I'd need some shit like plane shift to leave, right?

Also i picked up a set of the arcane spell cards, does anyone know what the blank ones labeled for warlocks are for?

Yes?

If you can't hit them with attack rolls just hit them with saves.

You act like I'm sober