MTG EDH general /edhg/

GREEN edition

The last thread
RESOURCES
>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question
What are your thought on a25? hoping to pull anything?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/tymnaravos-cleric-tribal-2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>What are your thought on a25?
I'll buy Azusa, the filter lands, Magus of the Wheel, and probably nothing else. Maybe the pacts if they get low enough, but I doubt it.
Best time to buy is normally like 2 months after it launches, right? I should see if there's anything in EMA I need first,

And by EMA, I mean IMA

Evens I'll build memeoplasm
Odds I'll build karador

>Thread question
I only pre ordered one pack but I plan on getting a few of the new art uncommons and 4 pact of negations for legacy

Ok set, but the uncommon and common slots are the best we've seen in a while. Main cards I will be picking up are azusa, recruiter, lorwyn lands, coalition relic, utopia sprawl, death shadow, kobold and skeleton tokens, new seb mckinnon art cards, new art doomsday summoners pact and a bunch of relentless rats.

>Thread Question
Not great. There are a couple of cards that I want, but otherwise it doesn't look too appealing

>What are your thought on a25? hoping to pull anything?
I might buy a foil Animar if I settle on him as my Temur commander. There really isn't that much I want from this set.

>Best time to buy is normally like 2 months after it launches, right?
I've found that Masters sets have a much faster turnaround, probably because there's no speculation on whether new cards will find a place in constructed formats. Between 1 week-1 month is when they've been at their lowest for IMA and MM3.

Woops not death shadow, meant street wraith. Still a little sour about wotc missing a lot of big reprints like ancient tomb and double season, but seeing my list now there is actually a good amount of stuff I'm excited for. This sets a 6.5/10 for me

Will I regret it if I buy Elenda and Twilight Prophet for current Standard prices? Will they do good work in an Athreos deck?

>pulling
Nothing. But I may be getting a couple of the filter lands if they get to $10. Aside from that, there is nothing I want from this set.

I don't really need anything from it, except Myriad Landscape was one of the last few non-foils in my Karlov deck, so I can get that checked off.

twilight prophet is incredible, go for it user. Glad seb actually got to illustrate for a good card for once.

Hey /edhg/,

my LGS has the Breya precon, sleeved and boxed for 80 burgerbucks, and I was wondering if the general consensus was if this would be a good deal, especially with Anthology 2 coming out soon, although that probably will have Atraxa.

anthology 2 will have yidris :^)

If you don't count in the cards worth less than a dollar, Breya deck is worth like $90 using tcg low. So it's worth it if you want it.

If you want Breya, might as well.
Worst case for you is Breya gets reprinted in the Anthology, but you can still sell the anthology version sealed online for some decent money.

>sleeved and boxed
Sounds like someone took all the value cards and replaced them with basics

From what I have seen, A25 is very similar to EMA. Both have Jtms pulling its weight in the mythcs, with EMA having better mythics, and in exchange, A25 having more value in rares due to filter lands and pacts.

Although A25 is going to drop in value in a couple weeks, I think it is safe to say that each booster will have an expected value of around $5, with an expected value of around $120 for the box.

>each booster will have an expected value of around $5
the commons and uncommons have tons of value. i think it's going to end up being pretty close to msrp. hopefully mtggoldfish or somebody else will do a legit breakdown.

Promoted Cards:
Rare to Mythic Rare
>Armageddon
>Akroma, Angel of Wrath
>Akroma, Angel of Fury
>Chalice of the Void
>Ensnaring Bridge

Uncommon to Mythic Rare
>Imperial Recruiter

Uncommon to Rare
>Pendelhaven

Common to Uncommon
>Exclude
>Freed from the Real
>Mesmeric Fiend
>Street Wraith
>Simian Spirit Guide
>Spikeshot Goblin
>Ancient Stirrings
>Fierce Empath
>Krosan Tusker
>Utopia Sprawl
>Blightning
>Quicksilver Dagger
>Perilous Myr
>Ash Barrens

Demoted Cards:

Mythic Rare to Rare
>Conflux
>Pernicious Deed

Rare to Uncommon
>Kongming, "Sleeping Dragon"
>Jalira, Master Polymorphist
>Ancient Craving
>Fallen Angel
>Undead Gladiator
>Will-o'-the-Wisp
>Ire Shaman
>Zada, Hedron Grinder
>Iwamori of the Open Fist
>Krosan Colossus
>Shadowmage Infiltrator
>Stangg

Rare to Common
>Loyal Sentry
>Savannah Lions
>Balduvian Horde

Uncommon to Common
>Fencing Ace
>Geist of the Moors
>Renewed Faith
>Borrowing 100,000 Arrows
>Court Hussar
>Dragon's Eye Savants
>Ghost Ship
>Relentless Rats
>Ruthless Ripper
>Cinder Storm
>Crimson Mage
>Frenzied Goblin
>Hordeling Outburst
>Jackal Pup
>Pillage
>Skeletonize
>Ainok Survivalist
>Assembly-Worker
>Primal Clay

>pretty close to MSRP
Please. MMA was the only Masters set that managed to reach msrp, and that's because:
>Every mythic aside from 4 of the dragon spirits would pay the pack
>Half of the rares would pay the pack
>Uncommons and commons could easily reach $9~10 and pay the pack to even out the times you didn't open a good rare or mythic
Street Wraith, the uncommon card in A25 that could potentially pay the pack was a common in MMA.

Also, EMA also had pretty good uncommons and commons, even if you are optimistic and think that those uncommons and commons will hold their value, you wouldn't think that it goes for much more than $7 per booster.

>MMA was the only Masters set that managed to reach msrp
MMA was well above MSRP. A box of MMA is worth well over $300 on average, if I remember.

MMA was obscene, and we'll never see the likes of it again.

I blame limitedfags.

Nah, what pretty much happened is WotC (and the players) didn't really understand what kind of impact MMA was actually going to have. Remember Tarmogoyf dropping to $60 and then steadily climbing back up to $200 when people realized how little one reprint in a limited set actually affected supply vs. demand?

WotC chunked MMA full of value because they didn't have any way of predicting just how full of value they were making it. At release, MMA was below MSRP in expected value because the novelty of it tanked prices on a bunch of things way more than it really should've.

Now that they've had a few sets to get the math right, they're undercutting it because it keeps shops happy and lets them hold off on attractive reprints for later.

>uncommons and commons will hold their value
Oops, I mean all the cards. Even if commons and uncommons hold their value, they are not going to save from shitty rares and mythics.

MMA has the highest Expected Value of any mtg set aside from the earliest sets, but that was because they didn't know how to evaluate reprint sets, and they were horribly afraid of making Chronicles 2.0, so they just filled it with value.

Doesn't it make shops miserable because they're holding onto product that they can't move because nobody wants to buy them because of their shitty value for a 10 dollar per pack price tag?

Even then, $7 is too low. Goldfish evaluated EMA as $8 per pack.

Goldfish EV is assumed values considering pre-orders and prices at the time of its release, before they stabilized at a lower value. Also, I'm using low to calculate the value of the cards.

>maybe ten cards of actual value, half of them being filterlands
>enemy filterlands, but no allied filterlands even though there's no allied land cycle in the set and they need a reprint just as badly
>too many cards from very recent/standard-legal sets
>wotc keeps designing these sets to be drafted instead of to expressly reprint cards that desperately need it
>no aura shards

It's a disappointment, like all Masters sets end up being. I'll be scrounging for Ash Barrens and Coalition Relics though.

>shitty rares and mythics.
people love to focus on tree of redemption as a shitty rare but anecdotal payoffs don't matter in investment. you need to look at the average value of all the cards over the course of many packs. the average value of the rares and mythics is pretty good.

there is a .25 rare but there is also a $70 rare and a bunch of $20 rares. if you average them all out it comes to be about $7. so you need to get $3 worth of commons and uncommons to break even. there are quite a few commons and uncommons that will probably be worth $3 on their own. nettle sentinels are currently like $5.

The only part that makes them happy is that a lot of people just pre-orders the boxes from them, but actually trying to sell the boosters is going to be hard.

No, no, you're thinking small shops. It makes big shops like SCG happy because it doesn't devalue a shitload of their inventory.

>both akromas at mythic
>in this fucking set
One of A25's fatal flaws. The other two being the Green mythics and not reprinting the allied filterlands.

A25 has 45 rares/mythics that are 5> dollars, and 18 rares/mythics that are 10< dollars, 7 of those being 20< dollars. This is also before launch.

>meta is lots of combo, derevi, prossh, gishath, trostani, breya, queen marchaesa etc
>friends get me a scrubland
>already had a bayou
who should I build that's abzan colored, good at fighting combo decks, and can some reanimation shenanigans?

>and not reprinting the allied filterlands.
This bugs me the most. Not just because they're moderately expensive and could use a reprint, but because now we only have half the cycle with the watermark.
Is this what being autistic feels like?

Yes. But it's a reasonable complaint for even the not autismal, so I won't begrudge you.

>abzan colored
>reanimation
You already know.

>anedoctal tree of redemption
When I have ever said this?

>the average value of the rares and mythics is pretty good
It isn't. A25 has around:
>$300 total on mythics
>$270 total on rares

if we compare it to for example, Iconic Masters, it had around:
>$170 total on mythics
>$265 total on rares.

it looks better than IMA, but if we compare it to a decent Masters Set, like Modern Masters 2017:
>$400 total on mythics
>$365 total on rares

Not only it is already looking pretty grim, those values on A25 are from before the inevitable drop.

Where did you get those values?

CK, since those seems to be pretty fair. You can try with TCGplayer, or Cardmarket if you wanna see if the results vary too much.

>Thread Question
Won't crack packs but I'll be picking up foils of REB, Loyal Sentry, Gods Willing, Coalition Relic, and Darien King of Kjeldor

wotc's insistence on giving us half cycles of dual lands is really frustrating. In cube draft all color combinations are draftable and you have mana fixing for all, i dont see why we need half cycles, like they will crowd the set or something in draft, idk what the justifcation is

What’s my wincon for Daretti? And under $15 please.

They know they don't need to give full cycles to attract players.

Jokulhaups

Karador is sick my nigga
Make sure to pack lots of wraths

Nah, man. We gotta go bigger...

What are some good aura packages to run? I'm building a spirit tribal with O-Kagachi at the helm and planning around Tallowisp, but you can pretend I just said Three Dreams instead. Currently I'm thinking:

Dragon Breath for commander haste
Animate Dead for general reanimation
Prison Term for removal
Crystallization for removal?
Spectra Ward for commander protection?

Anything else?

Have fun user.

Any of the auras from Shadowmoor Block that give you buffs based on color, such as Runes of the Deus.

Spectra Ward will stop you from casting additional auras on whatever you enchant
Sage's Reverie is a nice source of draw for auratron. Reality acid is nice removal. Don't forget Curses are aura's too (although tallowisp won't let you search for curses)!

Ethereal Armor
Flickerform
Runes of the Deus

Orzhov Charm

>not putting this bad boy in your white decks
What's your excuse?

I only have one foil copy.

It's not a Dinosaur or Dragon.

it doesn't have a sick foil watermark

>Dinosaur
If he was there during the stone age they wouldn't have gone extinct.

So everyone agrees that A25 is a garbage dump and probably tied with Iconic for worst masters set so far, but it is still good for something, new never before printed foils!

So far I've seen a few cards that didn't have a foil printing previously:
Lull, Arcane Denial (Fucking FINALLY!), Flash, Phyrexian Ghoul, Lull, Myriad Landscape (Awesome addition), Stangg, Kindle, Izzet Chemister (boo), Ash Barrens, Ishan's Shade, Reef Worm, Magus of the Wheel, Red Elemental Blast (damn!), Blue Elemental Blast, and last but not least, Animar.

Some honorable mentions, Regrowth (exists in foil but it's like $40), Unearth (Around $20), Diabolic Edict ($20-50 depending on promo), Simian Spirit Guide ($80), Ancient Stirrings ($35).

The more I'm looking at this the more I'm impressed by the amount of valuable foils.

That's quite the thought!

>wanting current year foils
>typing like a redditor

How the fuck does a redditor type?

>Friend was big on Standard/Modern from Alara block - RTR but dropped out of magic for a while
>His knowledge of Commander is him playing with 2015 precons via Tabletop Simulator once (Him using Izzet, me using Orzhov) and looking at the face cards for the 2017 decks
>Know that Sphinx's Revelation is one of his favorite cards
>Suggest he try out Commander suggesting Azor as his commander
>Says he looks bad, costs too much and has no protection so he'd die before he could attack
>Show him the slew of artifacts that he could run that give him Shroud/Hexproof
>Says that they'd all just get countered
>Show him Animar because he thinks all of the 2017 precons are strong (Even Arahbo)
>"Dies to bolt"

Is he just dumb or does he not understand how this format works

Sounds like a bit of both.

It takes a while to adjust from 60 cards 4x playsets to 99 card singleton.

Thanks guys! Clout of the Dominus looks really good. Unfortunately, outside my commander, most of my creatures are monocolor. But I'll see if the make the cut.

Can you please go back to your containment board?

to be fair he's quite right about a lot of commanders eating shit as soon as they enter the battlefield

if he wants to play a commander that doesn't die easily to removal, and he likes crafty blue shenanigans, then he could play nezahal. it's quite hard to fuck up building him

darksteel forge and doubling effects

guy in my LGS made Nezahal, as soon as it hits the board people just target it until he runs out of cards to discard.

following this logic why don't you say he can counter back?
Azor is a control finisher, you don't usually see them going around before the owner is sure they will live

Some commanders big targets on their heads. In Nezahal's case, he 1) has good draw power and 2) forces the owner to discard cards, essentially netting you a 3-for-1 on each kill spell (2-for-1 if the spell lets him draw)

Reminds me of Horobi

oh it's one of those retarded metas

in that case he can either build some type of "ask me if i give a shit about my commander" decks like gonti, kokusho, dragonlord silumgar etc where the commander dying is more or less part of the plan

or he can just build kruphix and just carefully pillowfort and UG goodstuff his way to 40 pooled mana and then then just win

What's retarded about having a meta with a lot of answers?

Nezahal will win if you just let him sit on the board and casually draw 20 cards for free.

because when people play like that, it usually means that the one guy who didn't empty his hand at nezahal is going to ball out of control with his hand full of gas

Ah yeah, that can happen. Usually we're pretty good at watching peoples hands and pointing out when one person is hoarding resources. We don't just look at the board to decide who is the biggest threat.

i think he's got a case of the stupid

>yfw you play oloro prison and never even cast your commander, just buy enough time to tutor for a combo and win

MASTERS 25 IS THE PRODUCT YOU'VE BEEN WAITING FOR
I know they've got to shill their own product but why do they just flat out lie about shit like this.

user think. Everyone was on their ass about IMA, what do you think they'll say? That A25 is barely better?

They could just not comment on it. That's what businesses do when they know they're selling your a pile of garbage, so that way they aren't lying just giving no information.
They could have done so many good things with 25 and yet we end up with tree of redemption.
IMA may be worse overall but at least its green cards weren't mostly garbage.
Not to fucking mention colossal dreadmaw being printed for three sets in a row.

Maybe I'm just bitter, but I feel like Edgar Markov is ridiculously good. Maybe too good. Deck is super aggro, and I almost feel like I need to build a similarly aggro deck to deal with it.

I only played against him 3 times while using boardwipes.dec, and what struck me was that the guy NEVER ran out of gas. I know that Boros struggles with CA but somehow this guy always had a huge threat and a near-full grip

it's a mardu deck that relies on the combat step. it's not hard to outmaneuver it. literally just drop a languish on turn 4

but i dont understand what they gain by not giving us full cycles

do they get more money somehow?

Who plays Cleric Tribal here? I have ~100USD to play with and this is what I have so far.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/tymnaravos-cleric-tribal-2/

Can Pic related work as phyrexian arena #2? The deck is pretty low to the ground, and there's already a decent amount of lifegain in there.

What are some pay off cards for self-discard besides Drake Haven, Faith of the Devoted and Archfiend of Ifnir?

stuff with dredge, retrace, or some other kind of self-recursion such as bloodghast is good to discard, turns cycling and looting into card advantage

It means they get to print the other half of the cycle later on and it has the same appeal. Imagine if we'd gotten all 10 fastlands in Scars block. They would've had to come up with something else or dish out reprints in Kaladesh and it's not as good a hook.

im way less interested in the Kaladesh fastlands than i would be in a full 10 card cycle of mirrodin themed lands that have a sense of aesthetic congruence to them.

i dont like cycles being split like that for aesthetic reasons. look at the shadowmoor filter lands, they look awesome, especially together and part of that is the uniform aesthetic

i also dislike the effect it has in standard where you only have fastlands for half the color combos, or only have checklands for the other half

Noob questions incoming
Does Etalis ability happens before blockers can be declared?
If an exiled card has suspend, what happens? Can i just cast it?

yes
yes

Enemy Tango Battle Lands when?

Sun titan grabs it. Lark grabs it. Recruiter of the Guard searches for it...

Good question. Why am i not running it?

WE

Should i be worried about fakes when buying cards off of ebay? Has anybody here gotten burned by fakes?

>want to build Rafiq
>don't want to spend a ton of dough on the swords, stoneforge, or the other staples that I already have in my Kemba deck
>my autism won't let me switch cards from one deck to the other between games