Antediluvian settings

Going to storytime 'The Goddamned', a fun reimagining of the world in the year before Noah's flood. It follows Cain, who is immortal and has had a few centuries to practice getting better at murder. Lots of neat worldbuilding elements can be found for brutal sword-and-sandal antediluvian settings.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_Bible_translations
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If you're reading it, please bump, as OP can't bump his own thread.

That's it for issue #1 but there are five out so far and I have them all

I'll post another one later if anybody bumps this

Despite the grimderp and edge I am cautiously excited.

Bump for the bump god ?

I really liked that Aronofsky Noah comic. The movie was okay but the setting was more developed in the comic version.

I'm not as knowledgeable about the Bible as Shakaranon is about British culture, but I will try to do my best to point out what I can along the way.

At this time before the flood, the normal human lifespan is about 900 years. Everyone is hyper-fertile, meaning if you lie with a woman she WILL become pregnant every time. The only disease is leprosy.

According to the OT, while the cities built by Cain in his wandering understood how to make iron, the process had fallen out of knowledge after the final city of Cain fell. Only Noah and his tribe retained the secret of iron, which gave them an edge in their conflicts with other groups.

That part never really goes away, but I like everything else enough to look past it. You can also kind of make the excuse that the degenerated human race swears a lot.

Oh shit, Jason Aaron and RM Guera did Scalped together

Good shit OP, you have my attention

And they are quite degenerated!

It's also worth pointing out that according to the Bible the earth is currently massively overpopulated at this point because even though you can live to be 900, you can start reproducing in your teens. At this time there are supposedly many billions of people on Earth, having reached the point where humanity grew and grew by devouring the bounty of creation, and like locusts now find themselves in a world where everything is almost exhausted.

bump

This ravager has one of my favorite lines in the series

Ooh, this looks good. Thanks!

I'll post issue 3 now and post the last two later

These all have alternate covers but I just haven't been posting them. I like this one though.

According to the Bible, Adam and Eve were the first man and woman, but they were kicked out of the Garden of Eden. They would go on to have several children, the third being a boy named Seth, but at first they just had the two boys Abel and Cain.

In his defense, that is a REALLY charitable deal on fresh babies.

After God found out about Cain's little tiff with his little brother, he cursed him to wander the earth. God also put a special mark on Cain to let everybody know his That Guy status. Biblical scholars disagree on what exactly the mark means, but in this book it seems to be that Cain doesn't have any scars i.e. he's an immortal cursed by God.

I love the little hits of Ralph Bakshi's Wizards I'm getting from this at times with the colour palette and these fever-dream creatures- especially the weird bipedal mammal mounts and the little carrion critters.

Are you sure you're telling the truth? A lot of those specifics don't sound biblical at all.

>you can't FUCK me without a fight, you prettier-than-me war god who's reluctantly agreed to save my son in return for nothing
I can't tell if she's got weird priorities or is trying to seduce him into rough sex.

I think my favorite background animal is the unicorn randomly chilling while Cain beats Abel to death with a rock Depends on which Bible you read, I guess

There's only one Bible. Things like the Talmud and the Koran are different books.

In her defense, she has literally never met a man who wasn't planning on raping her, her son, or both. Or making them rape each other, or possibly rape some unknown third party.

King James or NIV?

King James and NIV are different translations, not different books.

Stealing the aesthetics of this for my game

>There's only one Bible
Oh, that's the funniest thing I've heard all week.

It doesn't matter, it's all made up anyway

Oh user...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_Bible_translations

>HOLY FUCK
doesn't sound quite so biblical to me desu

I don't know that we want to get into a full discussion of apocrypha and religious divergence.

Let us merely accept that, if nothing else, the first user speaks the truth as it pertains to this series.

True, but it's more about the books that comprise each edition of the Bible, than the translation.
Open your KJV and find the Book of Tobit.
Not there, because it was removed when the Protestants split form the Catholics.

History is written by the victors.

That is some grimdark shit. But I like the art.

Pretty much the entirety of the biblical reference in the antidiluvian period is Genesis 6:1-6. There's a bit in chapter 4 as well, but Adam and Eve are kicked out of the Garden in chapter 3, the flood is in chapter 6, and chapter 5 is a genealogy.

So let's look at this bit.

>NIV
When human beings began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, 2 the sons of God saw that the daughters of humans were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. 3 Then the Lord said, “My Spirit will not contend with humans forever, for they are mortal; their days will be a hundred and twenty years.”

4 The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of humans and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.

5 The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. 6 The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled.

>KJV
And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,

2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

3 And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

5 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

6 And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

Very different, right?

>jawbone weapon
Clever. So that's what that looks like.

>They work for the mercenary... the marked man...

CAIN?

He is a sizable individual.

>ugh, disgusting

There sure is a lot of it though

>focusing on the action for several pages
>showing every detail
I wonder why cape comics don't do this more often? I read a Batman comic and it was not this action packed. It's why I prefer manga. Fighting is prominent and each blow is detailed.

>Bible translations together with some incomplete and partial Bibles
>different Bibles
Read the fucking book.

Speaking the canon of a fictional setting is not the same as speaking Biblical canon.

Tobit doesn't deal with this period at all.