Exalted General - /exg/

Unconquered Handlebar Moustache Edition

What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: mengtzu.github.io/exalted/sakuya.html
. It’ll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums.

>Resources for Older Editions
pastebin.com/GihMPwV8

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Core and Splats
mediafire.com/folder/b54o6teut3fx6/Exalted_3e

>Dragonblooded Charm Previews:
theonyxpath.com/dragon-blooded-charms-preview-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/the-elemental-aura-dragon-blooded-pt-2-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/signature-charms-dragon-blooded-pt-3-exalted/

>Other Ex3 Resources
pastebin.com/fG1mLMdu

>New NPCs and a Behemoth rework
pastebin.com/avv1ZCZp

>House Tepet Preview
drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNuS2pvcEF2TGlUYW8/view

Previous cakes:

So. Odds of What Fire Has Wrought actually coming out this month?

Parts of it probably.

If the book is already done, what's the kickstarter for?

Deluxe version, plus probably funding some bonus books.

Delaying the printed book as long as possible and getting shit art.

Speaking of books, do the PDFs have watermarks? The post-errata version hasn't been posted yet and I was wondering if I should just buy it in the next week or two when I have spare money, but I'm a but wary of it being traced back to me if I upload it.

They probably do.

Is it just me, or is Exalted, Solars to be specific, more suited for solo play then anything? Everyone else needs a team but Solars, well, they really don't. Each solar in a circle can easily solve every problem you could throw at them individually, to the point that even the Core book has to encourage players to "let the others shine" with Solar XP.

So I saw the movie Annihilation today. Thought it could be used as a decent depiction of a Wyldzone.

No, lunars should be way better at solo play
Solars tend to only get good at one or two things

Nah. I just created a Dawn who would be a useless turd at anything except "break this fucker's face". Which is fine, right up until someone figures out his Intimacies and from then he's someone else's weapon.

You CAN make a Solar generalist but it's not easy at all and you won't make the most of Supernal.

Zero, what? The kickstarter is late this month, how the fuck would the book itself come out?

Backers get the chapters as stretch goals usually.

I always think more The Holy Mountain, Enter the Void, Fear and Loathing, Codex Seraphinianus (the book).

That's some kino. Pretty lit famalam.

I'm in a game that has just reached Essence 4 and am noticing that, as things get more 'epic', player actions are getting more and more dramatic. Which I guess suits the mythological feel, but I'm getting a drama fatigue. If every action is significant and emotionally charged with some strong stunt, it dilutes the whole thing, so now I'm here trying to play the narrative breath-of-fresh-air/sometimes comic relief character.

Is this a normal thing that happens in Exalted? This is 3e, if that matters.

How does a 1st circle get created? Like as an Infernal could I convince a 2nd circle to make a few specialized 1st circles for certain tasks?

Probably. 2CDs certainly can and do create 1CDs. I'd assume that the specific way they do this varies depending on both the 2CD in question and the kind of 1CD he's trying to create.

It sounds like the Dragonblooded KS is going to be soon. Anyone besides me planning to back it?

Yeah, I probably will.

to let crazy fanbase give them free money by paying triple. it's abusing the kickstarter system to run a 'pay what you want' preorder (with a floor of normal list price)

an excuse to delay printed release

no. but people are paranoid anyway, and beggers are annoying enough to taunt with pastebins instead

as an infernal you have at least one official charm to do it yourself iirc

for 2.5e and not using obnoxious sv taw:

What's a good replacement for nomoon anima that would be useful for nonsorcerers?

how would you beef up secrets and earth aspect powers?

It actually is for a deluxe edition, though. The book itself will be releaed anyways.

Yeah, I feel it. I also noticed you can gauge that drama tiredness by looking at temporary willpower. When it's consistently getting low, I put out a beach/teahouse episode that restores up to 3w, 2 during the day for characters that "work" to maintain their peace of mind plus the point for sleeping. The points I give so that it doesn't feel like wasted time, but in reality it's just some time for banter, intimacy development and maintenance, and maybe more importantly, for the players to lighten up

it's from mechanically rewarding stunts. sometimes elaborate stunts end up backseatgm, but mostly it's just excessively described opening of a door etc

How have your players received these sessions?

in 2e could mortals form combos? I think no, but not sure if 2.5 changed that

Does anyone know how they plan to reconcile "Charms are just things the Exalted do" with "Sidereal Charm trees are closed"?

"Sidereal charms are a different kind of thing from solar charms" would be obvious, but also "Charms don't actually exist" is one of Hatewheel's messes.

Probably in the same way Martial Arts charms are already discrete things even though Solar charms are not.

I do long sessions so it's more like, three scenes? More if they do things alone, but it's not a session spanning thing. They seem to like it a good bit, they have chosen an island in the West to make it pretty much a private resort. They often take steps to improve the island and keep it safe.

Honestly sometimes it feels that I'm better off waiting for 4e to come out.

Why is that, user?

for a 2.5e abyssals game:

anybody got homebrewed absorption perks for the ajaian school?
not that I wouldn't want to see any for Shizuan or the maw if you happen to have some.

>"Charms don't actually exist" is one of Hatewheel's messes.

true, but even without him 3e's forum tends to fly into an autistic fury if you suggest they do or say that you liked it better when they did. ranting about the illusion of fun and soforth. I'm almost afraid one of the devs would get literally assassinated(well, doxxed and harassed more likely) if they tried to change it back, or even if they went with "that was for solars, siddies are different".

You can't play games after you're dead user

Considering MA Charms and Spells already are things you can learn I fail to see why this would be the case.

>ajaian

I copy/pasted wrong. the one I'm looking for is the shizuan

I mean, I think "Charms aren't really a thing" works well for most of the Charms since most of them don't actually make sense as discrete techniques.

Take Excellent Strike, one success and reroll 1s. Since successes don't exist as a thing you can measure in universe it's really hard to really classify if someone is ever using Excellent Strike. On average they're just a bit more successful. So Excellent Strike is just a representation of a Solar Melee person being better than a mortal. They're not really using a specific technique or anything, it's super generic. Even more flashy shit like Iron Whirlwind Attack is just you attacking really fast. You're just better than mortals in a different way.

Now shit like Glorious Solar Saber, that's a bit more of a technique that's very recognizable. If multiple Solar Melee people got together that all had GSS and were talking about what they can do, there really wouldn't be an argument over what GSS is, in character how they summon it or what have you but the effect is pretty clear and identifiable. However most of the Charms are just increases in competence that wouldn't be specific shit.

Spells, Martial Arts Charms, and Evocations (for the most part) meanwhile are specific techniques that are discrete things, so I could see Sidereals perhaps getting a more discrete Charm set while Lunars likely wouldn't.

Charms not being things in some cases is one of the best edition changes in reducing shit-think approaches to the game.

Stay in your 2.5 lane where you belong, moron.

Telling your players to lay off the extremeness doesn't work?

Well I'm sure I could tell them how to play, and they would heed me because they're quite nice players, but that's just no fun is it?

From what little commentary we have so far: Sidereals powers are not natural extensions of their will but rather ways of them interfacing with the loom/fate around them. When the maidens designed the exaltation they limited this interaction to a few specific ways. You could in theory study and name those ways, but they'd exist in about a distinct a form as 'pre writing' is a distinct technique authors use in real life. Still there, but I think the main thing 3e is trying to move away from is charms being these external powers the exalts tap into, so it's the charms that are cool and not the exalts that are cool.
Then again we haven't seen the sidereal charm set yet, so hard to judge.

There are certain things both fluff and mechanics that I don't like about 3e and even though Holden and Mork are gone the core book is already out so we're stuck with most of them.

Honest question how long do you think it will take for the line to be done?

What things don't you like that you can't just ignore?

As for how long it will take? We've got a ton of splats left.

Lunars
Exigents
Sidereals
Abyssals
Liminals
Getimians
Infernals
Alchemicals

With Dragonbloods around the corner. There's been something close to a 2 year gap between Core and DBs and while that shouldn't be the case for all of them it paints a grave picture. Their original plan for release was 1 splat per year, so you're looking at Lunars in 2019 and so on into the future with Alchemicals (which is traditionally the last splat published) 2026. That's the absolute earliest we'll get them since that is the fastest they said they'd publish them. Realistically it'll be more than 1 year, maybe 1.5 years per splat so instead of 8 more years that's 12, so that's 2030 before all the splats are released.

So if you want to wait until everything finishes naturally, that's ~2032 since they won't reboot the line right when it gets done, it'll be a bit. There's a fair chance it'll crash and burn before that but I wouldn't hold out hope until mid 2020s.

see? ;)

it'd probably be faster. they're need to have already started working on it to make sure they make the 2050 release date anyway, and by then we'll only be half way through 3e

>Sidereals powers are not natural extensions of their will but rather ways of them interfacing with the loom/fate around them. When the maidens designed the exaltation they limited this interaction to a few specific ways.

An interesting subtlety is that this is only true for the charms of Sidereal nowadays. Greater Astrology charms were direct access to the loom and could be extended or changed, exactly like the charms of any other Exalt. This caused so many issues with the system that the Maidens gated the Greater Astrology charms.

Or so they say. With the Maidens it's hard to tell. They could just have been wary of a possible rebellion in the future, or fear to be replaced, or have foretold something.

My personal interpretation is that the actual Sidereal charmset was a list of Greater Astrology charms that were codified because they were benign, both to the Loom and to the Maiden. The maiden then just pretended the Greater Astrology charms were never a thing.

>With Dragonbloods around the corner. There's been something close to a 2 year gap between Core and DBs and while that shouldn't be the case for all of them it paints a grave picture. Their original plan for release was 1 splat per year, so you're looking at Lunars in 2019 and so on into the future with Alchemicals (which is traditionally the last splat published) 2026. That's the absolute earliest we'll get them since that is the fastest they said they'd publish them. Realistically it'll be more than 1 year, maybe 1.5 years per splat so instead of 8 more years that's 12, so that's 2030 before all the splats are released.
>So if you want to wait until everything finishes naturally, that's ~2032 since they won't reboot the line right when it gets done, it'll be a bit. There's a fair chance it'll crash and burn before that but I wouldn't hold out hope until mid 2020s.
Fucking unacceptable.

It is nevertheless the situation.

Everyday until you like it

I already like it.

Which is why 3e is going to fail and die.

It took about three years for 2e to give each exalted their book.

And when the fuck is the sorcery book supposed to come out?

>It took about three years for 2e to give each exalted their book.
And look how well they turned put. 3E's release schedule has been a bad joke so far, there's no denying that, but one splat per year would be a reasonabvle, acceptable schedule.

Sorcery is a non-splat book so it can come out in addition to the splats each year. So like we're getting DBs and the Realm book this year hopefully.

I would rather have something rather than nothing. I'm not waiting at least 6 more years for shit. The core came out 2 years ago and since then we've gotten Arms while nice is not enough.

The only reason I'm still is because the threads move slow and thiers the occasional interesting discussion or story.

Lunar eating the fishe.

Lunar should be giving the fishe to Solar instead.

No time soon. According to Minton's blog everything in the works right now is
DBs
Lunars
The Realm (Supposedly they have the final manuscript)
Adversaries of the Righteous

>I would rather have something rather than nothing.
No game > bad game

Wrong

No game being better than a bad game is absolutely true. As long as the company doesn't go under.

Which Exalted probably will.

OPP seems to be doing alright, so it probably won't go under. Exalted has sold alright when the devs have actually managed to release something, as well.

It seems to be outselling anything else OPP puts out on Drivethru.

I was asking more from the perspective of someone who's expecting your players to not realize what they're doing and expecting them to not want to be doing that themselves, even.

Exigents will be crammed into the same book that details how to stat gods and elementals, so that cuts down on production time a bit. Liminals, Getimians, and Alchemicals will all be crammed into one book and may not even much page count dedicated to them because it seems Vance and Minton are a lot less enthusiastic about them. So you're looking at 2027, not 2032.

Exalted fans are very dedicated, they absolutely will wait eighteen months between splat releases without abandoning the game line. I do not foresee the line become so unprofitable that OPP drops it.

Well I assume that's going to depend more on your players in that case. If they're doing it without knowing it and don't even mean to I'm sure a tap on the shoulder would get the message across. But the escalating drama withing a story is kind of the nature of the game, falling back to it is only natural.

>iminals, Getimians, and Alchemicals will all be crammed into one book and may not even much page count dedicated to them because it seems Vance and Minton are a lot less enthusiastic about them.
Wait when was stated.

He's mistaking the Liminals, Getimians, and Alchemicals with the even more useless exalted who are going to be shoved into one book.

Why don't the developers create a book of pre-generated antagonists? Filled with animals, killer plants, fey, behemoths, demons, gods, elementals, ghosts, Wyld mutants, and miscellaneous unique creatures that defy classification. Because making quick characters for EVERYTHING gets pretty fuckin' old, especially when I remember my days playing 3.5 and Pathfinder where I'd just crack open the monster manual and be set.

That's what the monthly stuff is, user.

Yeah, does the monthly stuff have 228 fully written up antagonists like the Pathfinder bestiary? Would it have that many antagonists if you added up everything published since the backer PDF came out in 2015? No? Okay then.

Though to be fair, old dev quotes AGES ago said that the geminites might be a soft cover thing. Kinda a sidereal expansion book in a way, like each major type is its own line. Then again with the fact that the other foils are getting put in exigents and the gemanites are getting expanded on to actually have like a full charm set instead of being quick antagonists that might have changed
Creatures of the wyld is as close as you got.
Elementals, gods, and demons kinda had that in their respective books (Games of divinity in 1e, roll of glorious divinity in 2e) for the things that there were a lot of like murder spirits and so on and so forth. Aside from that though just about everything is unique, either a particular named deity or else an exalt, who you kinda need to build using their own rules. Given that exalted isn't a dungeon crawler like DnD/PF you generally don't go through a bunch of meaningless fights or roll on random encounter tables or anything.
That said, when the splats come out I do plan on putting together a pdf of fleshed out template characters like the core had, kinda like 2e storytellers companion.

Did the Pathfinder bestiary have 228 fully written up antagonists when it was still in the middle of being written, user? Would it somehow be better if Adversaries of the Righteous and whatever the other half of the montly stuff is calles were only published when they were fully done, however long that might take? The fact is that what you're asking for is currently being done.

When it comes to martial arts and the mentor merit; are they supposed to be something.... More than just a person who fights really well?

Like would it make more sense for them to be some sort of secret Sidereal, God-blooded or essence using mortal?

>So you're looking at 2027, not 2032.
Too goddam long.

>some sort of secret Sidereal, God-blooded or essence using mortal

These are all within the scope of the Mentor merit. All that is required is that thy are capable of mentoring you in something, anything else is up to you.

Ex3 doesn't half sell a lot of copies for a "dead game". Really activates the almonds.

Once more, in english

Get outta here, Leddit.

Leddit doesn't hold a monopoly on coherent sentence I hope

Fuckin burgers

I could use a burger right now. Maybe with a side order of Exalt antagonists for Essence 3 Solars. Perhaps a Craft/Bureaucracy DB bankrolling some enemies.

I understood everything except "half sell".

It's an expression. "It doesn't half X..." generally means "It sure does X..."

Do you like the Unwoven Coadjutors or do you want them gone for the 3e version of Infernals?

Do you like that the Five Trials are gone for learning sorcery?

You show up after 1500 years just expecting fish? Catch your own.

I liked that 2E sorcery was a mastery of magic so difficult to obtain that even Exalted sorcerers weren't all that common, that it was so powerful it required you to sacrifice a piece of yourself just so that you could be made able to wield it, that it was a means of forcing reality to do whatever you wanted through sheer brute force of will. Now some dipshit Essence 1 mortal with a decent Occult score can cast Terrestrial spells. The weight of it is gone. Meanwhile, thaumaturgy was cool as fuck and it's a trap option. I don't understand why it's so mechanically fucked now. Goddammit.

It sells half as well as well as they should like, and I like it less than half as well than the half of it deserves. To be honest.

whats a solar gonna do with heartsblood.

>ajaian school
The book says that is a mix of the three sorcery schools. just take one from each and pick two

it wouldn't be infernals without the voice in your head, so I'm pretty sure 3e will remove them :(

If they remove that they might as well go and remove the entire 'unwoven within the jade cocoon and mixed with your coadjudicator'.

But user, by what the devs have said, previous devs at least, sorcerers are probably rarer in 3E than they have ever been before. The section on becoming a srocerer makes it absolutely clear that there's more required than a decent Occult score. Why the fuck is this so hard for some people to understand?

>sorcerers are probably rarer in 3E than they have ever been before.

Kek. The apologists are at it again.

Listen user. Listen closely and attentively.

In 3e there were half a dozen mortal sorcerer in Creation. Half a dozen. Six. In the entire Creation. By the dev admission. You needed to cultivate your essence to the absolute highest a Mortal could achieve, learn sorcery (which is very difficult for Exalt and practically impossible for mortals), pass the trials, and all that in a measly mortal lifespan. Mortal sorcerers were almost unheard of, and a mortal that actually managed to become one had a decent chance of Exalting on the spot. Just because a mortal doing that is a feat for the age. The only mortal sorcerer ever named was doing it with the help of a N/A artifact that pretty much gave him his powers.

In 3e, there is half a dozen named mortal sorcerers in the setting alone, and an entire city of mortal sorcerers in the south east. The implications are that sorcery is difficult but attainable for any mortals willing enough. Mechanically becoming a sorcerer is easy - from the fluff, becoming a sorcerer is not that hard, because there is certainly a large number of them. And yes, one thousand of them in all Creation is "large" in comparison to 2e.

>In 3e there were half a dozen mortal sorcerer in Creation.

I meant in 2e of course.