>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/
What ruins have you explored in your games? What were they for when they were still in use? What happened to them? Who lived there before the PCs showed up? And the most important question: what loot did you get?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dSx6woYYPVo
experilous.com/1/project/planet-generator/2015-04-07/version-2
donjon.bin.sh/world/
topps.diku.dk/torbenm/maps.msp
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Anyone else hate Dwarves?

Course not, dwarves are great.
What don't you like about them, user?

Possibly related to ruins, anyone have much experience with mazes?

I have yet to meet one that wasn't an angry, bearded, mine-loving drunkard.

Minotaur

Nothing wrong about that.

An item that lets a Druid conjure up a fey spirit that takes on their wild shape instead of the druid is the reward I'm granting to the Dreams druid of my group. Would you say it should be 1/day?

I love it when the dice conspire in my favor. I'm running "Shrine of Tamoachan" right now, and there's a room with a battleaxe embedded in the wall. It's impossible to remove the axe while the axe's owner (a vampire spawn) survives.

Each party member naturally decided to try and remove the axe, and they all rolled a 5 or less. It was hilarious. I didn't even need to make it seem strange that the axe wouldn't budge.

Does anyone but the Minotaur, Theseus and Daedalus have much experience with mazes?

Would putting one in a game be fun or would it end up being bullshit?

So are the villagers in Hoard of the Dragon Queen completely stupid assholes or was my DM just making them that way? I only found out recently that he turned the monk into a DMPC and he wasn't suppose to be along for the ride or fight that one mook 1v1 in exchange for the hostages.

One of my players, the newest one, is a firbolg druid. He basically asked me to give him a reason to exist, a goal to which he should aim, because he can't come up with one on his own and he's having a very hard time getting into the character if he has no aspirations or goals. It's unorthodox, i guess, but why not. Problem is, I have no idea either. I wasn't gonna even allow Druids in the first place because they, alongside Bards, fill such a specific niche that it's very hard to make it into something interesting without being the exact same character as every other Druid.

He said he was fine with retcons, so his current state isn't relevant. Do you have any suggestions on what he could do with his gentle nature giant? I'm too busy writing the campaign to take care of a single character's entire motivation.

minotaurs, from the monster manual, cannot get lost in mazes.
A maze would be boring bullshit, if you're going to do it add some method of minimizing the amount of random guessing.

Well, what is your campaign about?

Damn dwarves and their damn grudges.

Tips for running Tomb of Annihilation?

What if it was a maze full of death traps and ambushes?

His clan requires one of their number to serve as an "eternal" ancestor-protector. The current ancestor-protector is close to the end of their extended lifespan and he's the chosen replacement. His duty is to go out, experience the world and grow closer to the elements and nature to gain that extended lifespan so he can return to the clan and allow the current ancestor-protector to die peacefully.

Tell him to make a character he wants to play and has a motivation to play. That's not your job.

It's a nobledark world gone to shit because the gods threw a tantrum so violent that they killed each other and caused shit to go down in the world, causing beasts to grow stronger and more violent, collapsing the socio-political-economic landscape and that kinda shit

He was originally just some firbolg farmer who got chased away by beasts from his peaceful farm but he wants to do something else now I guess

that's good enough so far, definitely keeping this one in mind

To your left is a hallway that goes 50 ft
To your right is a hallway that goes 40 ft

What do you do?

Here's a question. Firbolg are apparently like 10 foot high but still medium sized. How fucking big do you have to be to be large?

how neat would be a barman adventurer?
you know, making drinks now and then, maybe even potions?

youtube.com/watch?v=dSx6woYYPVo

7-8ft in 5e.

Go left is apparently the right answer most of the time.

Does anyone else get autistically hung up on a world map?
I can draw a small adventure area map no problem.
I have loose ideas about various countries/regions/factions for the rest of the world, but when I try to put them all together on paper I spend days searching online for the perfect map, attempting to draw my own 9000x, and finally giving up in despair that I'll never be an adequate world builder.

Pic related, I really like it even if it's just snippets of Eurasia stitched together. But it's still not "perfect" no matter how much I modify it.

>Roll to remove embedded ax
>Roll to lift bucket of water
>Roll to jump 1.7 feet
>Roll to write your own name

I hate bad DMs.

I recognize those ruins.

>just letting your party pull every axe they find out of the walls
bad DM detected

not seeing the downside here. What are you, some kind of ....

.... elf?

Not that guy but if you had actually spent more than one second reading you would have seen the part where he said the axe is held in place by magic. Its not like he had them roll to do some mundane shit.

is grimgar isn't?
do you think is work of the shadfag?

>lenat20lmao retardo rears his head
You don't have PCs roll for mundane everyday shit. Contested or variable due to circumstance checks are fine, but if you bench press 200, you beach press 200 and that's it. Hey, roll to see if you pick up that rock is retarded if its weight falls within the strength of the PC. You have him roll when it doesn't but with extreme effort might pull it off.

In this scenerio you have PCs with no variables make a skill check with no consequences, otherwise known as a waste of time. Here's a tip, if they can take20 don't make them roll, jackass.

What is playing GOOlock like, anyway? Strongly considering it.

Has anyone run "Out of the Abyss"?
Is it any good or should I look at running something else?

>taking a shitpost about axes being found in walls commonly seriously
Are you okay user

All the original warlock classes are just shitty wizards with great flavor.

The player can use it however many times in a day he wants but keep track of how many times he uses it. At some point in time the fey spirit is going to tell the player they need a favor, and given all the times the fey helped the player its only fair the player helps the fey. If it were me I'd base the severity of the favor/repercussions on the player based on how used the item is - a few times, a moderate amount, or heavily.

From the players perspective it's the same. They are unaware of any magical enchantment. Once more having PCs roll on auto fail check with no variables or consequences is dumb

>Has anyone run "Out of the Abyss"?
Someone has. Somewhere.
>Is it any good or should I look at running something else?
I've heard it's solid, but I hope you like Drizzt.

>I hope you like Drizzt
well looks like I'm running LMoP again. Maybe I'll change the dragon to bronze instead of green this time...

experilous.com/1/project/planet-generator/2015-04-07/version-2
donjon.bin.sh/world/
topps.diku.dk/torbenm/maps.msp

Three random world map generators. The third one is one I used for my game, set the width and height to max, projection to Mercator, then opened the image up in MS Paint (lol) and move shit around and boom, rough draft of a world.

>t. High elf

Why not play CoS? People can't stop sucking it off.

It doesn't matter you mong. The argument isn't about mundane vs nonmundane. It's bout forcing players to roll when they haven't any reason not to take 20

This is the problem with Firbolgs. They don't DO anything. They arent really weird enough for other races to hate them like Half-orcs, but arent Humanoid enough with enough backstory to fill any potential goals. Firbolgs are 100% One of the worst races just because they arent interesting in the fucking slightest

>CoS?
I'll give it a look. It should be in the trove in the OP right?

Yep.

Be a dick to your PCs. Your'e running ToA, the goal isnt to tickle your PCs.

Sadly, I realized this long after I added them. I treat them as peaceful, giant hippie dwarves. Needless to say, they're still not interesting enough.

I'm aware of the ubsurdity, but am more concerned with pointing out the common mistake of having your players roll when there is no interesting outcome to passing or failing

5e fucked up by not having some easy system for adapting weapons to different size races and keeping them balanced-ish enough for them all to be character races.

>uhh errr y-you lift shit like you're one size larger but you're totes not, okay!?

I allow players to play them, but I warn them that playing a big hippie dwarf is difficult to roleplay.

Are necromancer's even good in a fight? Are 1/4 CR undead even good?

Make four+ of them, give them ranged weapons, focus fire and watch bitches drop.

For these types of races I just pretend their weird, awkward, humans with personal goals instead of racial ones.

Yes and no.
Mechanically they'll be blown up multiple times, but their true power is giving a boost to the action economy.

skeletons are proficent in most martial weapons, shields and armor so if you invest in them you can add a few 15AC 1d10+2 crossbow skeles with a bunch of backup weapons. Hell you can even use them as ammunition when you fire a ballista at a city.

>He was originally just some firbolg farmer who got chased away by beasts from his peaceful farm but he wants to do something else now I guess

literally nothing wrong with this backstory.
Goals:
- Finding a new location for his farm
- Getting revenge on the beasts
- Being proactive in hunting down threats so what happened to him doesn't happen to anyone else
- Following the guidance of his dead farm animals
- Its a Nobledark world and he believes he's the next biblical Noah

Honestly if he's asking you for help and you can't give it, you need to work on your imagination and find more inspiration.

At the absolute very least, they help give Advantage in combat for at least a round

That's the original backstory I had given him because he didn't know what to do, and I suggested most of the ones you've pointed out - it's not about imagination, it's just that I can't be assed to take care of his reason to exist while I'm working on the campaign for the whole table.

Right now I'm working on a dungeon with more encounters than I usually make and this ties into some setting and quest fuckery and I need to concentrate on this, not whatever his endgame is.

What should the DC on the perception check to see why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch be?

I don't hate them, but I find them very one note. I want to do more, something strange and interesting with them, drawing on folklore that doesn't overwhelm things like Gnomes and Halflings.

The one time I played one it was fucking fantastic, but that may have just been me. I had high intelligence so I was essentially the brains of the party and could relay plans to other party members telepathically through Awakened Mind, which led to some pretty fun just as keikaku shit, especially after Thought Shield made sure that no one could know my plans unless I wanted them to (and Detect Thoughts from the expanded list was just icing on the cake). That plus Create Thrall led to a final gambit that TOTALLY SHOULD HAVE WORKED FUCK YOU DM. Or at least it would have if the game hadn't imploded 2 sessions before my plans came together. I also had a shitload of fun with Tome pact and BoAS, Eyes of the Runekeeper, Mask of Many Faces, and Contact Other Plane shenanigans, but those are hardly exclusive to the GOO patron. All in all I would say that the toys given to the GOOlock are some of the most fun to play with in the whole game if you're creative.
Unless you were asking how it is mechanically, to which the answer is "Meh, Hexblade is better, and the class is best as a dip."

Hm, those goals are kinda generic and honestly can fit in 90% of most campaigns. Maybe you should sit down with the new guy, smoke a bowl and hash out what he wants as a player and character?

Sounds like the kind of fun I'd love, really.

DC starts at 10, goes up by 2 for every year above 12

Depends on the age of the character desu

You guys think it'd be possible to fit a complete skeleton inside a Leomunds Secret Chest if I disassembled it?

What alignment would work for a character with the following traits or beliefs:
>Pragmatic / willing to use any means necessary
>Will lie / cheat / withhold information if it furthers their own goal or the goals of the party, however would remain truthful and honest if there is nothing to gain
>May regret their actions later, but if it's the best option at the time, they will take it
>Something of a mercenary, will follow contracts to the letter and try their bets to keep their word and avoid backstabbing clients, partly out of a sense of duty and to not ruin their professional integrity
>Mostly in it for themselves, will aid close friends / associates should the need arise but would prefer to let them sort their own shit out
>Will use torture to gain information, though will not involve themselves with slavery and will prefer not to kill innocents or children though knocking out is not out of the question
>Believes somewhat in might makes right, in that the strongest and smartest will survive and the incapable are generally not worth saving due to being dead weight

Lawful Evil

Is my character okay?

Lizardfolk Ranger, with his Ape companion. Lizardman was born to a spawning of exceptionally intelligent lizardfolk, all destined to be leaders and shamans. Except for my guy. Just a naive, hungry lizard guy trying to eat some meat and stay warm.

One day he meets an ape, they become friends and go on adventures for a few years before our group all meets up. Start level is 3.

The monkey is a fucking bastard though: smart, ambitious, greedy. Made a deal with a minor devil, wiped out his tribe in order to get power.

Maybe later on the lizard dies and the ape becomes my PC.

Chaotic Neutral. Leaning towards chaotic evil

Of course. A complete skeleton is average 25 pounds, the chest can hold upwards of 300.

Yeah I figured some bit of evil, but the chaotic vs lawful is what's throwing me off

Yeah definitely lawful evil, also probably soldier.

The guy obviously has a code, so I don't think chaotic is right.

>doesn't want to kill innocents
>follows contracts
>Regret actions later

I was worried about some of the longer/wider bones not fitting in the 3/2/2 feet proportions of the chest, but I suppose I could dissassemble the ribcage and all the vertebrae into individual pieces so it could fit better. The skull should propably be on the bottom so it doesn't poke out from the top.

Lawful Neutral or Lawful Evil

No person is hardcoded chaotic or lawful, they will always have aspects of both. In the example, I would argue the character has a tendency to be chaotic, because I view the chaotic alignment as 'apathetic to society' rather than 'apathetic to laws'.

Just use a child's skeleton

What is the most effective way to pack a skeleton? Ideally with easy access to the skull for Speak with Dead purposes.

I mean, fair enough

Does speak with dead work more than once? I know the rules state 5 questions per spell but I don't know if there's a spell per body limit.
As for packing a skeleton, it is rather easy when disassembled, I don't think a DM would give someone a hard time over it when the idea of a skeleton in a chest has been a motif in fairy tales for centuries.

Read the book, black man.

lawful - follows the law or some sort of code that they will never deviate from. not killing children/innocents is the best example of a lawful evil person (that's how i run my deathknights at any rate)

chaotic- does anything at their own whim, not constrained by law, and dislikes being told what to do/ authority.

Hmm. I did consider finding a halfling skeleton, if it came to it and it wouldn't fit inside.
An excellent necromancer should always have a backup in hand, in the case he can't find/make dead bodies to then re-animate, and with the remains inside a chest only you can get your hands on the risk of getting caught goes down astronomically

The easiest way to avoid being an edgelord as a Warlock = be a Hexblade. You unwittingly made a pact when you found some ancient looking weapon and took it with you. While you were sleeping, you had a vision where it "talked" to you and promised to solve all your problems. Thinking it was just a dream you accept it. Voila, the next day, you suddenly have your Warlock powers. How the character reacts to it is up to you, but either way - just like the weapon is a powerful tool that granted you magical abilities, you're also a tool yourself (for the beings of Shadowfell).

It's also the easiest one to use for a Level 1 Warlock, because it fits any Background. Before you happened to find your Hexblade Patron weapon, you were just a regular [Background job]. For the Fiend and Great Old One, you should have a more specific background that explains how you got into contact with them. If you're low intellect/wisdom, you can just use the "my character was offered a contract by this guy who said he's his best friend so of course he accepted it" but then there should be some subtle implication why the Devils would be interested in a dambo like you in the first place.

As for the Archfey, let's just say your character is a closeted homosexual.

Got an idea for a character, gonna run it by you guys first before the GM, just to know if it's fucking edgy or retarded, as I'm trying to make a relatively serious character.
>One day, a group of vikings effectively raided and destroyed a hobgoblin camp, wiping out almost all of them.
>Almost wiped out, the viking leader stopped the violence and took the youngest lad, as something of a ward / hostage, ideally as a means to declare peace assuming the hobgoblins care enough about their youth to avoid future conflict
>The hobgoblins accept purely to buy enough time to fuck off from the stronger force and find easier grounds to survive in
>The young hobgoblin, probably around seven or eight, grows up within the tribe, absolutely facing prejudice for being a fucking goblin spawn, but keeps his head low enough to avoid any serious life-threatening issues with the vikings
>Learns primarily to look after himself, and focuses his efforts on receiving combat training, and working as an apprentice to the medicine man, so he has the know-how to tend to his own wounds.
>Of course, one day the chieftain gets severely injured, and winds up dying under the medical care of the medicine man and the hobgoblin lad
>The hobgoblin respects the medicine man enough to flee into the night and in his absence takes full blame and will most likely be killed on-sight should he show his face in the tribe again
>Winds up finding a roaming mercenary band that will take anyone competent regardless of background, and learns more from the company physician and combat training
>Finds success and unity within the company, learns to trust close allies, considering the company to be his legion but unfortunately company ends up getting fucked in a bad fight and dispands
>Hobgoblin takes part of the shredded company standard and heads to the nearest town, meeting the party there
Does this seem okay, or is it retarded? I kinda like this concept.
Hobgoblin just because they seem fun both crunch/RP-wise

currently playing in OOTA right now. its been pretty fun. we're level 8 and MD claims that we only have a couple months left before we finish (1 sesh/week).

we like it. what questions about it do you have (from my player's perspective)

What class is Loto/Erdrick? Like, the Dragon Quest dude.

Doesn't seem edgy at all. Reminds me of Prince of Egypt in a way, with the leader taking in what would normally be an undesirable.

I can kinda agree with Hexblade, at least.

After the very least, there's Celestial for the most unambiguously good and not edgy stuff. Otherwise, you can be a Hexblade. It wasn't necessarily some magic sword that gave you power. It could be an entity very much interested in the well-being of the place as a whole that has granted you martial capacity and a bit of spellcasting, with the mutual promise to help each other bring PEACE and JUSTICE or [MORAL HERE] to the land.
Or, with a fey, it could've been from pure luck or chance, fey are whimsical like that. Maybe you're a painted, and one day you painted so hard that a fairy popped up, said it was awesome, took it, and gave you magic powers because of it (and probably because it'd be entertaining to see what you'd do with it).

Flavor can be a pretty huge thing with warlocks, in my opinion.

As a Ranger who has his starting equipment only (2 shortswords + Longbow), it is best if I always walk around carrying my 2 shortswords right?

Because dropping my weapons on the ground is a free-er than free action and then pulling out my Longbow takes away my free action.

So if have my shortswords unsheathed, I always have the option to either use them or the longbow as my attack on the first turn.

But if I walk around with my bow out, then even if I were to drop it, I could only pull out one shortsword as a free action. Right?

Yeah that seems legit, though getting your blades should you wind up in melee might prove to be difficult. You'll also probably have to explicitly state you retrieve your shortswords after the fight if the GM is a little cheeky.

Depends what you're expecting. If you're walking through wide open plains, keep the bow handy. If you're dungeon delving with tight corridors, probably best to keep the swords handy. And I can guarantee you won't have fun if you drop your swords, move, then someone gets up in your grill.

Usually I keep my bow out and start combat at range where I'm safer/more effective, and if shit hits the fan and I need to head into the fire, drop the bow and pull out one sword. If I need to head into melee, it's usually more because I need to take attacks instead of the more squishy party members, so it's not incredibly important to have both swords out right away.

>You'll also probably have to explicitly state you retrieve your shortswords after the fight if the GM is a little cheeky.
If your DM pulls this shit, you should leave the game. This is one of the absolute dumbest things to do to a player and it only serves to piss them off. Seriously? You're just going to forget your bow because you dropped it in the middle of a fight? No. That's dumb. DMs who do that are dumb.