Radically Different Game Mechanics

What cool ideas for basic game mechanics do you know other than the banal old dice, cards and the occasional point economy systems?

Kyle 2 Cool > everyone else

using cups as helt
you fill the cup with marbles when you take damage
if one falls out, you die
different cups for different HP pool

>Drunken Master
>You’re better when you’re drunk. Trust me. Every time you take a drink of alcohol you can reroll your damage dice. Whenever you take a shot, you can succeed one save. Shotgunning a beer means you can avoid any damage dealt to you this round. If you throw up at the end of the night, your character will be alive next session, even if they were killed.

Rolled 1 (1d6)

Bit of a low effort one but I'll roll. Hoping for a 4

So what game do we run for these cool cats? I mean, WoD is the obvious answer, but what alternatives do we have?

You shouldn't reward them for failing to handle their alcohol

Dread uses a Jenga tower. Brick Wars uses Lego pieces, and your speed of building is measured. There was an Armored Core inspired board game (that lost the license) that used LEDs built into the base of the model to determine LoS and was real time. I played DCC with scratch-off character sheets; basically just a random character that you scratch off over time as you discover its abilities.

Haruspicy as randomiser.

There's a Veeky Forums homebrew named WANG that had some fair ideas inbetween the cringey presentation and terrible formatting.

There's a few hyper-faggoty storygames that nonetheless appeal to me because they have unusual ideas for integration of mechanics and story and also because I'm a storygames faggot .
Ten Candles uses the eponymous candles to pace horror stories - the darker it gets, the closer you are to the inevitable bad end. The Quiet Year makes you draw a map as the events unfold, and is a good worldbuilding exercise if a bit underdeveloped as a game.

Kyle 2 Cool is probably the only one who's moving on from this.

Undying's negotiation mechanic, basically you determine your relative social rank to the person you're negotiating with. Then you decide the price of your request based on that, so a minor request from someone above you means you need to perform a significant favour for them in return.

I want to know which is the first to die from auto erotic asphyxiation gone wrong?

>I played DCC with scratch-off character sheets; basically just a random character that you scratch off over time as you discover its abilities.

LARPing but bare knuckle and in a ring, it has a wager based XP system.

>What cool ideas for basic game mechanics do you know other than the banal old dice, cards and the occasional point economy systems?

TOTEM is an amazing RPG for playing a caveman. The mechanic is to draw colored stones out of a bag. There are two colors of stones, and the number required of a particular color (say, draw 3 stones and two of them must be blue) is determined by the GM based on how hard the challenge is.

JENGA

BUCKAROO

OPERATION

THOSE BUzZER GAMES WHERE YOU MOVE A HOOP AROUND A WIRE TRACK

STRIP

SCORPION BOX

SNAIL RACE

BEETLE WRESTLING

FOXY BOXING

KARAOKE

Isn't that just another way of rolling for successes, 4-6?

This but with alchol instead of marbles. To do damage to someone you have to drink from that cup. Mooks are shots of bud lite. Final boss is a 5 gallon bucket of tequila.

Magic users only get new spells if they devour the flesh of a magical creature. Each creature is tied to two tables: power level of spell, and spell domain. So, for instance, an animate skeleton would give the magic user a necromantic cantrip, while a unicorn would give a third level healing spell.

I was thinking about having a book of prerolled numbers. Each number would be rolled by random.org.

Each time a roll is required, you tick one off and next roll will be the next number.

However, the GM and the players can read the book under certain conditions to "predict" the next rolls.

>THOSE BUzZER GAMES WHERE YOU MOVE A HOOP AROUND A WIRE TRACK
That would be interesting for situations where you have to do something technical in a time crunch, like picking a lock as a minotaur barrels down a hall at you.

Depends if you put the stones back every time or not.

Pen, paper, numbers and dice rolls are thoroughly explored as a creative medium. They exist as a reliable legacy standby, much as do paperback novels. They're a good way to express ideas, but precisely because everyone knows what to do with them. Balance is a well-grasped art by now.

What suggestions you'll find that aren't entirely normal are largely amusing gimmickry, but nothing stable enough to sustain a content or its medium.

Psymon sounds like a good friend

>Twisted Shawn the Dark One and Goddess Olive
Kill
>Psymon and Kyle 2 Cool
Marry
>Twitchy Carl
Avoid
>Mistress Most Bad Ass
Fuck

Yes. All of these mechanics are just more convoluted and awkward ways of representing random variables.

Read a book nigga. Seriously, you sound like an ignorant prick.

Not necessarily? To say an easy one, using cards instead of dice gives the possibility of non-repeating results; the Jenga tower in Dread adds an element of human skill. So there are a bunch of things that could go well beyond "just get a number from somewhere".

"You're an ignorant prick!!?!" without any reasoning is perhaps the most ignorant prick move possible.

>stop using meanie words! This is Veeky Forums!
seriously fuck off

>h-he called me what I called him! WAAAAH!!!!
confirmed for idiot