How do you prefer your orcs? Primitive barbarian hordes, tough raider warriors, industrialized morlocks...

How do you prefer your orcs? Primitive barbarian hordes, tough raider warriors, industrialized morlocks, noble shamanistic savages, something else?

I think the Tolkien movies and books did em perfect. Everything else is just "we wuz proud warriors n shiet" territory.

That's the one thing I hate about orcs in modern fantasy, everyone goes the whole "A proud and noble race" Like shit man, I don't care, I want a race of marauding savages bent on killing and slavery. Not actual green black people who dindu nuffin like in Warcraft.

With muscles, tits, and a high sex drive

>orcs can only follow this one archtype: larger and angrier versions of locus pests

I love Orks, but not every instance of orcs need to be Orks. That's boring.

>Not actual green black people who dindu nuffin like in Warcraft.

Don't let identity politics get in the way of having fun, user.

In all fairness, the Orcs in Tolkien's works were bred in vats and made from inbred, tortured elves.

Orcs in Elder Scrolls were alright. A few of them lived in tribes and acted like brigands and bandits, some lived in cities and were kinda peaceful, just trying to make a living with the skills they brought from the tribe.

They were people just like anyone else. Good Orcs, evil Orcs, indifferent Orcs just trying to make a living.

Also their god was eaten by another god and shat out, which is kinda metal.

>How do you prefer your orcs?
Dead.

orcs should never be good. They can be neutral, warlike but still not dumb savages that need to destroy everything because orcs. Industrialized orcs work well but it needs to stand in contrast to what's considered good in your world, which is why it worked so well in Tolkiens setting.

MONGOLS

Look, I concede that some can portray orcs the right way. But I hate when they just make them look like bigger green humans I guess.

I want something unique, for example, the only reason I picked up the thousand orcs, from RA Salvatore was because they didn't look like green humans on the cover, I was so amazed by this I had to read it.

>they didn't look like green humans on the cover, I was so amazed by this I had to read it.
Mountain Orcs in Forgotten Realms are Grey. Orcs come in Blue, Grey, Green, and certain Underdark varieties like Orruks are black

t. raped elf

A not-civilization of soccer hooligans who don't understand that for other races death is a lot more permanent (my orks have it in their racial memory that they reincarnate, and only have a couple dozen personality types, so they have prima facie evidence that they do).

Huh, didn't know that.

A race cursed with failure for being too perfect by an idiot god, gifted with the best of everything, magic, intelligence and such on. Much like elves they were the first created races, this is why along with dwarves (who came somewhere along that line) they usually have some big grudges between each other.

Basically thanks to fate, the laws of creation and its penalties the more perfect a creature and its fate as a species is the harder its gonna fall, elves were more cleverly built, but in the end still suffered for it. Orcs cannot form a society together, anything bigger than a small tribe will start to crumble from various things, magical or themselves, however due to their perfected nature orcs will always survive. Moving into new lands and attacking anything out of starvation or because they tried integrating into a new civilization, this is why they are known as raiders and marauders.

Due to the constant starvation from crumbling societies, poverty and constant need for survival their general perfected bodies usually are not up to code, but they're still noted for the primal cunning and toughness. Brutality is common because of their daily lives and their hate for the gods who made/didn't intervene in their miserable lives. Along with this they have been slowly become mutated by their chaotic fate(and their poor patron god trying his best to fix the mess he created, trying to cure their curse), varying incredibly in size, shape and colour.

industrialised orcs are the only good kind.

>I think the Tolkien movies and books did em perfect. Everything else is just "we wuz proud warriors n shiet" territory.
this

Elder Scrolls does fantasy races exceedingly well. Like, it sets up stereotypes for each race, but also gives us plenty of exceptions like hideous crack-addict high elves, dead-eyed orc librarians, and dark elves who actually give a shit about people.

It's really nice when writers realize that people don't always do what we assume they're naturally inclined to do, and that people aren't just walking stereotypes.

Elves but gerudo

Orcs are another species of humans, around the same size and similar physiology, with tough and hairless skin ranging from pale to dark, favouring grey. They're as industrialized as humans are, and live on the edge of the world. The massive fortresses they built to resist long-gone Human Empires stand as the gates to the unmapped world. The area that the humans know them as indigenous to is semi-arid and warm, although both humans and orcs remember a time when it was rolling green plains punctuated by rocky badlands.

As orcs are, they are very militaristic, although I favour the soldier angle rather than the barbarian angle. An Orcs social life builds on the bi-weekly training, and Orc men are required to maintain a serviceable suit of armour.

An understanding of global orc culture is difficult, as the only kingdom the humans have contact with is characterized by its contact to humans and Satyr. These Orcs remember well how the last Human Empire to rival them fought bitterly and harshly to subdue them, although the humans themselves struggle to honour the memory of the now defunct empire.

Thankfully, the orcs are not very expansionist, holding the lines at the great Tolkien-esque bastions carved into the mountainside, the gates into their realm.

They are also known for accepting millions of Faun refugees when the Faun empire was devoured from within by an evil cult. Many humans believe said Faun to have been eaten, as Orcs do not have a cultural problem with such practises.

With glorious legs.

this but male

WoW Orcs, Bright Orcs, Elder Scrolls Orcs, D&D Half-Orcs, Shadowrun Orcs, etc are the future.

LotR mindless savages that are more akin to an evil force of nature than a species is the past.

I have no stake in the argument. Might want to transition to Ogres, Trolls, Hobgoblins, and Goblins for your mindless evil humanoid needs.

>Not actual green black people who dindu nuffin like in Warcraft.

Dumb.

Orcs fit best straddling the line between good and evil, savagery and civilization, PC and NPC.

This thread proves that. We don’t know what Orcs are because they’re the only 3D race besides humans.

Is this picture from TLOTR or the Hobbit? Don't remember this scene

Elder Scrolls Orcs are decent. They are a race that worship the god of the spurned and are actually bullied by others with no break

Warhammer Orcs/Orks are pure force of nature that ranges from joke to a consuminng greentide

I wonder if someone ever pointed out that Warcraft was made by a Jew.

>How do you prefer your orcs
Not present in the setting

Man-eating boarmen.

Hobbit. I believe from the third one. It's when Azog speaks with Bolg on the field.