/bgg/ - Board Games General

/bgg/ Board Game General - Elegant Rules Edition

Previous Thread
>Map
zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#

>Pastebin
pastebin.com/3ZbrVRMu

What game do you find has the most impressive ratio of depth to rules-complexity? That is, what game do you think has the most genuine claim to being "a minute to learn, a lifetime to master?"

What game you've played was the most complex for the least payoff?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/jq941iK8HeM?t=33m46s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also do you think they'll release fantasy versions of all three Century games that play together?

Also, do you think they'll release some trilogy special edition set after all three are out?

What game do you find has the most impressive ratio of depth to rules-complexity? That is, what game do you think has the most genuine claim to being "a minute to learn, a lifetime to master?"
food chain magnate, dogs of war
>What game you've played was the most complex for the least payoff?
wny of the wargames, but that's simply because i don't like wargames
>Also do you think they'll release fantasy versions of all three Century games that play together?
if the golem one sells well, they will
>Also, do you think they'll release some trilogy special edition set after all three are out?
yes

Which non PnP boardgames are simple to print yet are good?

They already said in response to Golem it was not going to be done for the other games in the series. For whatever reason they only see the series as working as a set (and they do combine somehow IIRC) if it's historical.

wut

Talk me out of getting this

Dominion a shit

Do not get this

You're welcome.

it's shit

So, that must mean it's pretty good

Motherfucking Hive

Its outdated

You guys are not doing a very good job at all

Get Arctic Scavengers instead.

Why do you think anyone else in the world really gives a fuck what you do? We're telling you there are better options. Believe us or not, it affects our lives in exactly 0 ways.

>We're telling you there are better options
Only one was mentioned. "It's shit" is not a good argument

Should I get Charterstone? I'm not a big fan of legacy-style. How playable is it after the legacy part is done for

Has anyone played Pax Pamir?

They aren't really alike as far as deckbuilders go.

The legacy part is like a prequel. It's made to be balanced after the legacy is complete so then you just have your special copy of Charterstone to play.

Ok, this sounds pretty good. I'll get it then

If I wanted to play Pathfinder's Kingmaker adventure path, but replace the hanky city building stuff with a fief/city building board game as a mini-game the players advance between sessions.

What would you all recommend? I'm wondering if I can hack Caverna a bit and reflavor to make it work.

Serious, non-meme answer: why not just play Gloomhaven?

>playing gloomhaven

Is king of new york power up worth it or is it just more powers cards in a box?

Again, why should we care enough to give you a better argument. The consensus here is that you should seek other options. Do you nee me to list them? Are you this unwilling to do research yourself?
Trains: Rising Sun
Tyrants of the Underdark
Star Realms/Hero Realms
Tanto Coure
All of these are better than Dominion. Now fuck off and spend your money however you want.

I've read that the after campaign boards generally suck. Did you have a different experience? I was also considering Cstone until I heard that.

get valley of kings

Bandit sucks to play against unless you're also buying Bandits

Redpill me on Uwe's tetris games. Are Cottage Garden or Indian Summer worth getting if you I already have a Feast for Odin? Which is better CG or IS? What are the differences besides the theme?

>Also, do you think they'll release some trilogy special edition set after all three are out?

ain't nobody got time for that

Recommend some co-op games that I can have fun playing solo (controlling 2 or more characters).

Yes, I know it's autistic. I have a lot of fun soloing Arkham Horror (digitally), it feels like I'm playing a party based RPG like Baldur's Gate, except in a Lovecraftian theme.

I'm looking at Robinson Crusoe - does that have good thematic flavor as well?

popular =/= good

I think the problem with Dominion is that there's actually a good bit of depth to it (and immense replay-ability), but most people see it as a casual game.

RC is great. Super hard though. Get ready to die of starvation/despair. Also the rulebook is the worst rulebook ever written. The editor needs to be gassed

you fags actually have me watching dice tower

I mean I still spend more time skipping past the 80% of the games they mention that I could give a flying leap about but I actually watched and episode

fuck I hate you fags

>pic unrelated

this is where you're wrong

dominion sucks because there is one strategy: do better than money and it sucks WORSE because the more you play it the better you are at doing that one thing.

>there are not multiple paths to victory
>put a more experienced player at the table and they will always clean everyone's clock
>needs expansions to even make it decent

I've never had anybody approach Dominion as a casual game, are you acktchually retarded maybe?

>it's someone else's fault I'm acting retarded
fuck off

I like their top tens and miami dice

>Again, why should we care enough to give you a better argument.
You don't have to, but you keep replying for some reason...

>Super hard

That helps sell me on it

does that one guy still put pandemic at #1 on every list?

>one strat: do better than money
True
>not multiple paths
True for each given market
>more experienced wins
This is a good thing in a strategy game, but your point is true.
>needs expansions
I would never recommend someone waste their money on expacs for this but it does get better with them
>no one plays it casually
Lots of normies do, but you're lucky to not have encountered them I guess.

You seemed to want replies. You're welcome.

Ghost Stories is supposed to be one of the hardest co ops but I 've never played so don't just take my word

You know it

yeah I actually played that once in a group of four and we got destroyed. not big on those kinds of eastern themes though

son of a bitch

Ghost stories and samurai spirit are hard as fuck. I've never actually won a samurai spirit game. Not even on easy

>Yes, I know it's autistic.
Not really. It might be pretty odd if you only ever played solo, but sometimes if I'm bored I bust out Flash Point to play by myself.

I like their top tens and Double Trouble (with Tom and his oldest daughter Melody). It's nice to see someone who's into Euros on the channel, plus her dynamic with her dad is pretty heartwarming.

It's my grandmother's 76th birthday. A bunch of family is meeting up around 5 for food and games.

She loves Dominoes and Rook, and other games if you can get her to try them.

I'm going to bring Downforce, Carcassonne, and Century: Spice Road.

Wish me luck!

I only know one of those 3 games, but have fun! My grandmother would've been 91 today.

Don't listen to the tards replying to you. Dominion is still the only decent deck building game.

>Made in the U.S.A. with pride

Noice

Has anyone played Anachrony? What are your thoughts on it?

>is power up worth it
Depends on if you want more to your game, or to be able to use the KoNY characters with KoT + power up
>is it just more powers cards in a box
Yes

>Uwe games
Since he tends to do variations on a game they all have a similar feel (Agricola/Le Have/Caverna are distinct games, but scratch a lot of the same itch) I haven't gotten to IS yet but Patchwork/CG are much like his worker placements, you can tell you're playing the same designer, same design ideas, just expressed a bit different. Odin kind of straddles the line, since it's not just the tetris, and it's not a straight worker placement, so it depends on what you want in your collection. If you enjoy the placing of tetrominoes there's no reason not to pick up either, or Patchwork, or Barenpark even. I would suggest you playtest though before adding more; if you enjoy it but Odin gives you the same feel are you going to play both?

Flash Point solo, 3 fire fighters, hardest difficulty + extra hot spots when I want to hurt myself

>What game do you find has the most impressive ratio of depth to rules-complexity?
Mijnlieff.
>What game you've played was the most complex for the least payoff?
I'll say RoboRally - an hour or so of getting dicked over by somebody else's nonsense, and then the person who owns it wins.
This: their Top 10 videos are great background noise
I met him at last year's UK Games Expo; lovely man.

>It's nice to see someone who's into Euros on the channel
This used to be Metzler, not sure what he's doing anymore

>lovely man
They're all quite nice when meet them in person; caught Sam once sitting in the hallway at Gencon (Wed maybe before it started) and chatted him up for a good 15-20 minutes on Memoir vs Heroes of Normandie. Kind of guy who seems just happy to be there, meet whoever's friendly, talk about his hobby.

I know you guys are talking about The Dice Tower as being friendly but I can't get that fucking video out of my head. There was so much blood.

0/10

>not sure what he's doing anymore

Disproving the Evohlution

The base game is not that good. A lot of kingdoms have big money as the best strategy, which is not very fun, and even for some that don't the strategy that beats big money is sometimes pretty obscure. Expansions (particularly the big box ones) are pretty much mandatory.

gf is not a board gamer other than the usual Monopoly shit but decided to humor my autism tonight. She can be competitive but not too cutthroat, which one of these do you recommend?

>Carcassonne
>Ticket to Ride
>7 wonders duel

TtR feels familiar to people who have never played for some reason, easiest to get into and least wordy rules explanation.

Carcassonne. If you want other options, my gf has really liked ...and then we held hands, Odin's Ravens, and Camel Up

stop forcing this meme. It was only funny once

TtR. While carcassone is great it has absolutely autistic scoring system that a newfag that's not particularly interested in boardgames probably won't get. And it's absolutely necessary that you understand how to score farmers or you won't win

I thought that was Sam Healey.

here. My gf and literally every single person I've taught have figured out farmer scoring the first game. I had to help some, but they got it. And you can always leave them out of the first game if you want to reduce the complexity

>correcting memesters on an anonymous finnish sock duplication forum
Sorry your life has come to this, user.

No 1. Uwe boy here, here is a quick rundown.

Since Odin itself was the game that birthed the puzzle mechanics of Patchwork/Cottage Garden/Indian Summer and the upcoming variations on Patchwork and the third part in the CG/IS trilogy it will always be the gold standard BUT.

In Odin you acquire goods to just cover up minus points and maximize income/free shit and you have 100% control over what pieces you get.

In Cottage Garden a selection marker moves around a board only giving you access to certain pieces at a certain time which you want to use to maximise points you harvest from your 2 seperate flowerfields. Turning the whole thing into a "roll with the punches, life gave you lemons make lemonade" type of game that feels very rewarding if you manage an efficient use of the tiles you were able to select.

Indian Summer on the other hand is a straight up race. Finish covering your forest floor with leaves and chipmunks first or get fucked.
Tile selection in this game depends on a shared track where you can replenish your personal stock of times at certain times, but you can also use bounties you pick up to steal tiles from other players. This is the crux of the game, you can cover lots of shit fast or try and harvest the bounties from your floor with the holes in the tiles, acquire animal tiles to use the bounties again and do some ludicrous catch up turns at the end of the game.

CG and IS are absolutely standalone titles that offer something unique.

I would call CG a more gamer game because of the optimization and superior solo mode (and slightly longer duration)
But Indian Summer is so incredibly family/normie friendly and can be used as a nice filler in a way where Bärenpark (which I also own for the kids) doesn't offer enough depth for Odin players but is the next logical step after kids get bored with Bärenpark for example.

Also fuck it, when my buddy and I visited Uwe at his home his 7 year old kid beat both my buddy and Uwe twice in Indian Summer (I was behind the camera) so clearly there is something mechanics wise to dig into and master.

good rundown. Will think about it. Will probably get cottage garden after all

>my buddy and I visited Uwe

How did that happen? Personal friends?

>No 1 Uwe boy
>Odin birthed puzzle mechanics somehow despite being published two years after Patchwork

For the next evolution in puzzle Rosenberg Autism just wait for Reykholt.

Unfortunately I had to play a different prototype but the box in his office said "At the gates of loyang + Cottage Garden" and his rundown of the design was basically a CG style opimization puzzle to acquire different vegetables with a selling/scoring mechanics similar to loyang where you have loyal customers you want to fullfil every turn and never let down etc.

Because Odin was basically done in 2013 and was originally scheduled to be released in 2014 but the illustrator fell ill so everything got pushed back with Feuerland (the publisher in Germany). But since the the puzzle mechanic intrigued Uwe so much he designed patchwork out of the mechanic for Lookout Games (his other major german publisher).
Source: the man himself
Here are my 3 favorite Rosenbergs I asked him to sign when I was there

Buddy is a minor German boardgame reviewer that Uwe got in contact with. But he does not have a car so he asked me if I want to go with him. Gotta go back real soon for some more playtest.

Forgot to add that in retrospect Uwe said that the massive delay on Odin was a blessing in disguse because he had more time to add some things. For example the set of special forge/bounty tiles at that point weren't in the game and if I remember right the migration mechanic (where you flip your trade/dragon boat) also came after the original deadline.

>he brought 15 kg of boardgames with him just to have them signed

>implying I didn't just bring the lids

Happens at every convention out there, which is why user's story is pretty but still just a story

youtu.be/jq941iK8HeM?t=33m46s

Here's the interview we filmed, unfortunately in German.

Why would you be so like "This CANNOT be true"? It's not like boardgame fame is some world prestige.

I think it's a cool story.

user - Dominion is a solid deck builder. The core game is 'OK' but has a few strategies that are superior to most of the others. There are expansion sets that help mitigate that issue, but some of the expansion sets have balance issues of their own. Dominion is NOT a badly designed game. That said, I simply wasn't grabbed by the theme or the game play. I've played it once or twice and have ZERO urge to ever play it again.

If you are looking specifically for a game with 'Deck Building' mechanics there are many others out there to research before you pull the trigger on a game.

Arctic Scavengers
Core Worlds
Legendary Encounters (Aliens, Predator, Super Heroes, etc)
Among the Stars
Star Realms
Eminent Domain

Just to name a few you might look at.

>Star Realms
this is so driven by the draft row it doesn't even rank as strategy in my book

just sayin

I haven't personally played that one. I own Arctic, Core Worlds, LE Aliens, and Eminent and they range from good to excellent. I particularly like Core Worlds myself.

Bump

newfag here, what are some recommended games, i would mainly be playing solo. i have fallout board game (thought it would be the easiest to get other people to play with me) and plan on getting arkham horror this week.

Pandemic is a classic.

I don't understand of playing board games solo.

It gives you something to do to take your mind off the fact you don't have any friends.

Does Gloomhaven have city/fief building and territory exploration as major themes? I thought it was just the new sexy version of Descent/Hero quest style RPG-in-a-box?

Its slightly more interactive than reading a book, more engaging than most movies (when its a good game), and nobody knows when you lose

Why not try to find friends instead.

Every time I miss click on that god forsaken channel I think "I could actually watch a movie in the time it takes his guy to herf and derf through telling me about board games"

You hit a certain point with these things.

This is true of 90% of board game channels though. Most of them take so much goddamn time. There's one podcast which has a cap of 7 minutes on talking about any game, and another rules youtuber thing which is always 10 minutes. Those are the only two I can recall listening to and not thinking "Holy shit hurry the fuck up".

The city advances as you play it, but the main focus is definitely tactical dungeon crawling.

I've seen Sentient mentioned a couple of times here, but it doesn't seem *that* good to me. At least it doesn't seem like it should cost 10€ more than something like Inis or Kemet. Yes, I know those aren't even remotely the same category, but all I mean is that it looks like it should be closer the sub 40 mark than the 55+ I can find. Could I ask one of you who like it to enlighten me?

Isn't there at least one or two stores where you might be able to find players?

I live an hour away from any shop, and have work and school so I don’t have a lot of free time to go and do that.

>Kemet is 50€
>Cyclades is 50€
>no way to test them
Do I just flip a coin?