Maps

Let's get autistic about maps. Show yours, criticize others, be anally frustrated about rivers and naming things.
I finally more or less finished this one.

Maps thread? Maps thread!
Large dump of mine incoming, post reviews

if the elves life in elfenheim you should be choked

I have enjoyed seeing this map progress.
What size is the paper? what pens did you use?

Pic is not my map but I intend to use it as a setting. I am going to develop the Texas Island for a game, I get geographical data about the region from modern sources and use a topo map to fine tune the coastline.
I consider the current placement of cities in the region, often they are in a good spot to put a settlement.

Where else would they live? Orcmenistan?

Ok thats actually all the maps i made bc waifu2x has been down for a week and i need them to finalize the maps

I'm never gonna use this but I thought it looked nice and I was testing new ways to make maps.

So you know, shame to not post it.

I have enjoyed seeing this map progress.
What size is the paper? what pens did you use?
Have you considered scanning it?
I would prefer the Heraldic Device to be a bit smaller, a scale would be very nice, also.

I like your islands very much, can you remove the grid? It is very distracting.

I will incorporate the data from this map onto my island. I have used Google Earth in the past to create new coastlines with their elevation data.

Thoughts?

Thanks, it's A4 and I will add a scale once I have a ruler. Seriously, I don't have a goddamn ruler.
I hope I will be able to scan it, buy I'm not sure where I can do it now. A scanner in my office is an awful quality.

I like it

Well its workable, but you can see that you just went wild with the deletion tool so try to smoothen that out. The coloured text does not look good.

Tree's are also bordering on good and just weird. Take a note from the guy bellow.
This is pretty good. Bit generic with the whole island thing.

Why?
>elf-knife eared asshats
>heim-home
>Elfheim-home of knife eared asshats

Perfectly forgettable and generic, use it.

Coastlines ok, mountain chains not so good, especially in the south. Rivers not so good.
Font for kingdoms is distracting and placement needs work,
Do the Kingdoms have different languages? The names look like they are all from one language.

Large print shops have good scanners, If you do, you can make multiple copies so you can have a topo, political, historical, climate zone, starting players' map, etc.

I.C.E.'s Middle Earth has wonderful maps, they even show distribution patterns of animals.

You have beautiful calligraphy and cartography skills for someone living in 2018. Perhaps not being from Alabama is a factor.

You should consider advertising to make maps for projects going on Kickstarter. They get the money up front so you can get paid sooner.

The 1911 Britannica online is a great source of info for this kind of project. A natural resources map is also helpful, so you know where to place the gold and diamond mines everyone wants.

Is this Inkarnate? Never tried that one before.

How are you not a professional map-maker, OP? This shit is crazy good.

Yeah, it's Inkarnate. It's pretty good as an introductory cartographic program.

First map I ever completed, thoughts?

Make it less blurry.

GUUUUYS, I need to draw fantasy maps and I have no clue how to start. Any tips/resources/etc for me?

Go to /wbg/ there's an OP with links.

Use Inkarnate to start with to settle on your style.

Better?

Are those kidpix stamps?
Cause that’s what I used to do back in the early 90’s.

Do what says.

and

Study real maps of the scale you want your map.

Study up on some geology and geography.

Practice.

Mmmm... delicious angla. I love eating angla for dessert.
Sorry, I’m an ass. It’s not terrible, maybe work on your tree fluffiness quotient. Mountain ridge lines should fade into the rear slope of a peak, unless you were going for an oddly sharp and even ridge that runs for leagues and leagues. Tent emblems could be a little more delicate , just do an outline and then toss some horizontal shade lines on one side, makes them look much nicer.

Maybe settle on one font style. If a map is made by one cartographer then there is no real reason to have multiple fonts going on as if written by different hands.
Personally I use only two font sizes as well, larger for region, small and tight for location.

I was trying to go for a sharp ridge, but I was still dissatisfied with how it turned out, got any tips?

working on a more detailed faction map now, highly unfinished but it's going smoothly

pls to not repost, it's WIP

Oh cool! Gonna dump some of mine.

These are all part of the same continent.

1/DRFMap = Map distance/Ground distance

1/DRFAerial Photo = Photo distance/Ground Distance

Would've liked to continue but they changed the art style. I'd like to be able to switch between the new and old.

Island off to the southwest. Major pirates nest.

Just a few more.

Motherfucker, you doing a Fire Emblem game?

No, it's from Campaign Cartographer 3, a program that costs $35.

A rough draft of my campaigns map. Gotta fine sculpt some parts but the largest landmasses are in the right places. Made by screenshotting the coast of my town and some nearby islands, colouring it all black and copy pasting/plastering them over each other.
So... Any immediate parts that stick out/seem wrong?

Do you expect your players to interact with even a fraction of them in any meaningful way?

Something like this? Super rough sketch.

Rough composite. Trying to find one of my favourite maps I've saved from earlier threads but it seems to have disappeared.

They wouldn't really interact with any of them, the only campaign I have in mind would take place in Landmar, Kimbar, Praedia, and a few minor provinces to the southwest

Here is mine.

Ya but it’s still too similar to what I was already making.

I'm an artlet, but i needed to map out a continent for a campaign i didn't even end up running. im happy with how this turned out desu

here's a version i edited later, includes rivers, but not the weird red shit (that'd be a plot point.)

That's breddy good. How did you do the mountains?

Okay, no, that's not how rivers work.

a sharp brush on pixel mode and i looked at a bunch of references before making a layer of it, after that, just some lighter colors to signal altitude. it took a bunch of autistic hours zoomed in and deleting individual pixels.

some of them are intentionally fucked up, but im aware the rivers are trash, dont worry (this shit is pretty old)

Hexmap that I am slowly in the process of stocking. Thick purple lines are kingdom borders, dotted ones are for counties within the kingdoms.

Sounds like a reasonable name. Better than naming shit "brightwater bay" or "the sea of shadows"

I used to make maps by stitching pieces from existing maps when I was younger and then I stopped because it was too much work.
I kinda want to try doing that again.

Are there programs that are used to make maps nowadays? Alternatively, are there galleries of map pieces anywhere that can be stitched together like how I used to do?

First time using Photoshop for anything, basically following tutorials and trying not to be garbage. For my current DnD campaign.

Resized by 50 percent because I made it really big. Whoops.

Close, I'm doing some FEDnD thing from reddit, and decided to make a large collection of maps for it
currently 4/12 are done, here are the next 2

(this one turned out a bit grainy but I'm not sure why, may rescan for final version)

>Ostmark
>Skaraborg
Getting some Trudvang (Ostland) vibes from this...
You a swedefag by any chance?
Great draftsmanship btw!

Rivers. Also, typography would be better without the effects and with halos the color of the paper.

Are your mountains pyramids? Also, please, use plain paper.

Elfenheim is just fine, even if more accurate would have been Ælfenheim
Better than the super generic names that it could have had

[s]how do you know hes not into that anyways[/s]

I know the rivers are shit, I won't be assed to correct that until I feel like I have the time and reason to go in and make them realistic.They used to look way worse. Right now my number one priority is making it a good, believable map for my DnD crew who aren't going to care too much about the rivers.

The text looks better at a larger size but the image is too big to upload. I'll fool around with it, I feel like if I keep the text without the halo and with only a drop shadow it gets lost easily. But I haven't fucked with that since the inception of the map, really.

>how to make a map
>just draw Borneo

Hey guys

I'm glad your map turned out so well user. What's it been, a week since you posted your rough draft?

Rate my garbage. I can't draw but there is some lore accompanying it if you want me to post that too. Its based loosely off of a dream I had so the foundations of the setting are a bit shaky but I'm gonna iron them out later.

This is how I want to do mountains too so you can actually figure out by the map how hard it is to travel a given way, but I can't seem to draw them well. I'm 100% going to examine and steal your shading.

IT's garbage.

Anyone have some good map tools that work well with showing historical progress, or troop movements?

I was just reading random warhammer fantasy lore and I found it hard to keep track of where people were and such.
Considering opening up a map in paint and then start making several pages where I make my own notes just for making it easier to myself, but thought there might be some software for that.

pretty cool, I'd probably add some lines about how and why rivers curve, and how oxbow lakes can form.

Eyh guys, rate my map

Great, reminds me somewhat of Dragon Age world maps.

Region of Valois, Northern North Burgundy, Northeast Frankia. I'm building this for a homebrew complete freedom campaign.