>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/
Asides from the standard PHB ones, what rules does magic have in your setting. Players, does your spellcaster have a sense of right and wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S8Ra1ecLhtI
youtube.com/watch?v=uahq52GDp3w
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I am going to be a new GM. My party are people who havent really played much DnD before, but tend to be powergamers who autistically spend 5 hours a day reading guides on the internet to minmax in any vidya we play together.

Since I expect them to figure out what the optimal builds for each character are, what should I be the most wary of as a class that can potentially break stuff ?

How many Etins can I throw at a party of 4 level 6's?

Druids are surprisingly tanky, especially circle of the moon

I have a 19 DEX, 15 WIS but 10 CON 9 STR birdman Monk.

Should I use Way of the Sun Soul to avoid getting killed?

DMPCs

Depends on how strong your arms are I suppose.

as many as you want, you trying to kill 'em?

What do you think makes a good player? How many of those traits make a good DM?

I Like the idea of ancient magic users being able to do crazier shit. This can range from a bard doing incantations so fast it sounds like words are being said simultaneously, to escaping an insect swarm by making "Acid Splash" give off a sweet taste like sugar water.

How do you deal with edgelords, /5eg/? Both as a DM and a fellow player.

Currently DM'ing one group with an edgy PC who wants to assassinate a 5-yearold girl because her brother insulted him, and I'm playing in another group with an outspoken evil PC who will probably try to fuck over the party Cleric soon.

Give mobs class levels user. Do It. If they want to be broken by level 3 let them, just also start throwing hexblade/bear totem barbarians at them, leveled paladins and tack 3 additional levels onto the wizards they fight every other day. On a less petty note I need ideas.
>Playing a half-orc beserker
>Fighting some giants and their pure orc slaves
>party gets on me ooc to be a hero and inspire them to rebel
>24 intimidation and some shouting about grummsh then rage
>Midway into the fight I ask the dm if I can gouge out one of my eyes
>Heat of the moment decision- I felt this was going to be a real moment
>Take a ton of damage but manage to loose the eye
>orcs think I'm a prophet. Party is stunned
>Take a level of paladin afterwards
I donno what do take. I like conquest for it's channel, but vengeance has spells I actively want to use

Casting a spell reduces your hit point maximum by the spell level until you take a long rest. This is the only way to restore your hit point maximum.

Talk with the player? Make it clear that Bad Things happen to Bad People.
Particularly those who fuck with their own party members.

Swap your Wisdom and Constitution. Monks don't need Wisdom if you put Light Armor on.

Not trying to kill them.
I lift.

Are Necromancers even worth the trouble? Are they even any good?

I responded to someone last night who was wondering about out of the abyss but i fell asleep before i could answer any questions about it. if that user is still on now i can do so. (i'm a player)

>make skelingtons
>water them with milk so they grow healthy
>buy cute outfits for them so they stand out
>give them names
>be overly protective of them and dont let them rush into battle because they are your fragile friends.
It is the bestest class. Especially if you are playing a female necromancer who had a stillborn child and has been trying to get some warmth in her life ever since

How I do I woo fictional women without it feeling uncomfortable? I want my bard to sleep with Ireena, but I also don't want to make it seem like I'm coming on to my buddy.

You don't you stupid cunt.

You don't

what about rituals, are you doing a low magic setting or do you just hate wizards?

come onto your buddy

99.99% of the "optimal builds" depend on you allowing optional rules, like multiclassing and feats.

You can merely say "no multiclassing, no feats since it's the first time we play so we keep it simple".

Other modifications you can do:

>Multiclass is only allowed after you reach at least level 5 in your first class.
> You may multiclass only once, so maximum of 2 classes per character
> Variant Human does not exist

This will remove most problems

And if EVERYONE is minmaxing, I don't see it as much of a problem. It's when a single character in a group minmax when everyone else just play casually and he ends up being far more powerful than all others conbined.

I hate all of my players desu

Bring it up with your friend. "Hey, so, my character is attracted to yours. Any way you wanna do this without it being weird or you just wanna not go with it?"

Ban multiclassing into or out of warlock. That seriously solves like 70% of the issue.
Maybe ban variant humans too.

I feel like a regular messenger bag would be more handy

Just ban Warlocks altogether

Fair

you'd fit more stuff in a messenger bag than that nerd purse anyway

The bard of my group got captured the the LE authorities. He has been rolling well, not snitching on us, etc, but the DM said they will start torturing him and he might have to start losing stats like CHA because they mutilate his face, etc. Is this something DMs commonly do, or does outs just have a torture fetish?

Settle down. People only go warlock to get Hex. Or into the annoyingly named Hexblade for the even more frustrating "hexblade's curse"

or to be a faggot and abuse darkness/devil sight

Is Ireena played by a male friend of yours?

God damn it what is with these fuckers and playing female characters? Go be a swede somewhere else

Or they go at least 2 levels into warlock to get eldritch blast + adding your cha modifier to damage.

I actually wanted to play a magical girl and went Celestial

Ireena is an NPC for curse of strahd, also who gives a shit if a guy plays a female character.

when you're making a new character, do you like to use the starting equipment or go with the starting funds based on class?

He's the DM, Ireena is an NPC. I think she's the only female one we've had outside of hags. I don't think it's because he wants to play a female character.

>be me
>level 6 fiendlock, blade pact
>DM says she will have to cut campaign short due to personal reasons
>doing a timeskip to the finale, tells us all to level up to 15
Any suggestions for how to build? So far I've mostly been a generic EB turret, only picked blade pact so I would have an emergency option in melee (kind of dumb in hindsight)
I am thinking of going sorcerer multi but I'm not sure how to make the most of it. What do you folks think?

>Any suggestions for how to build?
Warlock 15

Yeah but what feats, invocations, spells etc?
I already have 20 cha btw

>started first ever campaign before xanathar's came out
>"we have all these new and exciting options for players to try out"
>got to lvl3 right when it released, just in time for me to get dragon's breath
>we're now level 6, campaign is halfway(?) done, mordenkainen's is soon going to come out
>"we have all these new and exciting options for players to try out"
How? How often do people make new characters? There's like 20 subclasses and feats and races and shit in these books.
How many campaigns do people play in to have to make this many new characters in such little time?

They don't.
We just sit around and theory-craft this shit.

>female DM
>cuts campaign short due to personal reasons

evry tim

I mean if they ALL minmax it should be fine you'll just be able to throw slightly higher difficulty encounters at them sooner.
Maybe mandate point buy so at least they have a similar level of power to each other?

>implying male DMs don't do the exact same thing
Wew user

Should a critical hit always kill fodder enemies regardless of the damage they do?

Do you really, honestly, genuinely believe this is a thing male DMs don't do frequently?

Don't be serious about it, make it funny. They managed to pull it off in acquisitions inc.

youtube.com/watch?v=S8Ra1ecLhtI
At around 40 minutes they go into a forest and some Dryads charm Viari and he goes with it and it's pretty funny. (Also at around 27 minutes Binwin and Jim suck off a gay robot)

youtube.com/watch?v=uahq52GDp3w
At around 2 hours 30 minutes Viari fucks with a halfling grandma.

What attribute should Calligrapher's Supplies use?

Intelligence, Wisdom, Dexterity?

that's metal as fuck, user. Conquest certainly fluffs better; which spells are you after?

Hunters mark and bane. Both spells I can fire off then rage and forget about To a point

Int

It depends on your game. If you focus heavily on the combat aspect of the game then you might need to worry about multiclassing shenanigans or feat abuse. But if you're gonna balance well between combat and roleplay scenarios/problem solving. Don't worry too much about people "breaking" stuff.

Don't approach it like a videogame. Tell them straight up to take advantage of the fact that it isn't a videogame. Combat in 5e isn't that interesting anyway. So if you go all in to optimize for simply dealing as high damage as possible, you'll be kind of bored. Encourage them to take options that aren't as high in raw damage but are more interesting and give them more options. Reward creative gameplay.

If your fodder enemies aren't able to be killed by a crit, then they're not really just fodder are they?

If you want them to be just fodder, maybe take a hint from past editions and give them 1 hp. That way they have to draw fire but until they're attacked they're going to be an annoyance.

Thats pretty shitty. Making somebody lose their main stat. Is this something he can be saved from or is he just fucked? What is going on with the rest of the party?

If there was no way of saving him I'd just play a new character honestly.

CHA is not appearance

Does selling gold dragons and elves to demon lords as sex slaves in return for the murder of a vagrant count as right or wrong if it was condoned by god?

character fucking stolen

Depends on the character. I'd accept any of it made sense.

Wisdom for like a monk if calligraphy is a sort of meditative practice.
Intelligence if it's simply an academic practice.
Charisma if it's more about them putting their own personality into the letters, like a painter.
Or perhaps dex if it's about how perfectly they can form the characters.

Yes.

>Charisma is tied to appearance meme.

Your DM sounds awful. If there wasn't the charisma reduction, it might not be so bad. But it sounds like he's an idiot. It might not be a torture fetish, it could also be railroading ("I better punish this player for not selling out his friends like I planned for the adventure to move forward"), or it could be a DM that wants to play gritty (fine by itself) but also confrontational to PCs (which may end up with players having characters that don't fit what they wanted to play anymore).

How does the bard player feel about his character getting fucked, both mechanically and (presumably) how he wants to run his character concept in play?

Your character is cool as hell dude

tell your DM to look up the rules for permanent injuries. They explicitly mention horrific face injuries

How would you rate these spells for a rogue multiclassing into wizard at level 5:
Cantrips - Mage Hand, Infestation, Green-Flame Blade
Level 1 - Find Familiar, Healing Elixir, Featherfall, Burning Hands, Charm Person, Thunderwave, Grease, Absorb Elements

Charisma is force of personality. If anything, maybe replace his bonus to persuasion and increase bonus to intimidation. A guy that has torture scars and a strong personality would likely be damn intimidating.

But also fuck that DM. It's shitty to tie Cha to appearance.

Ignore 's advice. That makes fights a slog more often than not. Don't do that.
Give them the relevant features from those classes, give them special actions (or, Legendary actions, or even Lair actions), key certain things to the d6-based recharge mechanic, but don't give them the full kit and run them like it's a player. That's a chunky and harder-to-manage way about it with no benefit compared to the easier-to-run approach.

Yeah, I see your dilemma. I'd still pick Conquest, but that just makes more fluffsense to me for a Gruumsh Paladin than Vengeance would.

Balls, meant to reply to .

Try bumming blade instead of gfb for sick disengage proccing action.

Seconding this, don't forget that the NPC stats in the MM can apply to humanoids if you give them the relevant modifiers.
Want some more variety in your orcs? Throw in a Berserker, a Tribal Shaman, and a Veteran.

That's fucking dope man.
Conquest imo. You'll probably get good use out of the channel divinity if you have GWM.

How to make maritals good????

Why would you not just go AT?

If his DM is set on charisma = appearance, it might not help. Cause the DM's an idiot, and if he has NPCs disfigure a bard and reduce that character's main stat permanently, he's unlikely to budge. But its worth a try.

Another argument to dissociate appearance from charisma would be illusion and transmutation magic that change appearance granting higher charisma thus higher spell save DCs. That might make the DM reconsider.

But my guess is that its time to find a new DM unless all the players like this style of DMing.

This. At most you'd have advantage or disadvantage on a Charisma check where someone who gives a shit about appearance can see your face.

I picked an arcane trickster/necromancer.
That way I have a rogue with his own underlings to cause distractions.

remove them from the game

Get a prenup.

He's an alchemist first and foremost so I went Scout.

just don't allow feats.

Make sure you have a solid prenuptial agreement.

This. Feats are a variant feature

Allow a free weapon feat at level 3.

Let them start doing mythical shit by level ten

They are already fine

Tbh maybe just disallow feats until after level 4 and not v human. Imo the only time feats are a problem is in lower levels.

drown them in magical items

Its a big problem. Most DMs sadly fail to integrate the full rules, I bet a majority don't even finish reading the entire DMG.

>Munchkin tier
This is why I hate campaigns that start at level 1

Not really. It's like a 50% divorce rate.

Yeah, but it works better.

The GM is otherwise saying that scars make it harder to intimidate people.

I mean he said his players would try to minmax autistically

The face of denial

Give Ritual caster to everybody. Also use all the rituals out of 4th ed.

Only people on Veeky Forums have problems with martials, your usual player does not

Don't be afraid to talk frankly with them about what their pro strats are. If they misrepresent their abilities or what they have in mind for the character then that's its own problem that you should sort out as well. Make sure they understand that you want to be a fan of their character even if you're also going to be making things 'interesting' for them sometimes.

Generally just amping up the difficulty a little bit and you should be okay enough. If anybody tries any nonsensical sounding cheese it's probably not actually following the rules (and even if it is you're the DM, so feel confident to say, "sorry, but no").

Plus the DMG's table of monster type modifiers to throw on NPCs or other creatures. Want to make a Zombie Orc? Easy peasy, slide some of their ability scores up or down as suggested and give them the listed features.

Is it viable to make a spellcaster focus on a particular damage type? I was thinking about making a drow sorcerer with a black dragon ancestry, and taking all the acid spells I can find. Which as far as sorcerer goes, isn't a whole lot of spells, but still- would I just be gimping myself too much by trying to stick with a singular damage type?

Knock yourself out. It took a while and some work with the DM before the actual fuckupedness of my character was revealed. Before that she was just the quirky girl that was all smiles around her skelington pets. Was good fun especially since I m infertile IRL and they didnt know it was all actually just a self-insert

You're not wrong. Tbh I'm in favor of allowing both feats and v human because I have no problem balancing encounters.