>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>Thin ya paints, ladz!
youtu.be/wxWgsqSf74s

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>WIP's own 10-point painting scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

>The Bloody Hand will point the way!
youtube.com/watch?v=hQGiFWwZJno

>Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GFpqxHFMZXs
youtube.com/watch?v=UvhuJRq73x4
youtu.be/WE5jw620c78
youtube.com/watch?v=SDz8eWOw22U
youtu.be/4l0k8TeHgeA
youtu.be/ebU1zTFh7AE
youtube.com/watch?v=uNP7p5smZyQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I've only painted plastic models but I just got my first metal models (Skaven Ratling Gunners and Skaven Warp Grinders). Do they need any special prep work before I start painting and do I need to treat them any differently while painting them?

the most important thing is how you paint them. Most of GW's female models have completely adequate facial sculpts, GWs customer base is just used to painting screaming bald men.
So naturally the influences the results.

Any decent painter can make them look good.

If you are looking for an alternative for the crazy hair though there are some popular choices. Statuesque is an obvious one, although those may be a bit too pretty and put together for chaos cultists.
Another good choice would probably be Victoria Miniatures. She has a bunch of different styles, including heads with helmets, so mixing those may give you a nice ragtag feel for cultists.
If you want to give sculpting hair a go yourself you can also get bald heads from HF in various flavors.

Primer and varnish are much more important as paint will chip like hell if you handle them a lot during gaming. Also I find that they're much harsher on your brush if you're not careful.

repostan my 40k wyches converted from aos witches - sexy scary gals

>Do they need any special prep work before I start painting
In case you don't do that anyway with all your models already you need to wash them in some soapy water to get rid of the mold release agent. Otherwise you'll have problems with the primer not sticking.

Aside from that everything else is basically the same.
>and do I need to treat them any differently while painting them?
You should probably make sure you varnish them. Due to their own weight and the primer not being able to fuse the same way it does to plastic chipping is something that happens easier on a metal mini. But if you take proper care of them you have nothing to worry about.

I got into 40k during 3rd edition and I've never had paint chip off my models.

>Also I find that they're much harsher on your brush if you're not careful.
That is something I have literally never heard before, nor experienced myself.

and some butts

I prime and varnish all my models so nothing new there. I don't scrub them so I will make sure to do that plus I will use older brushes. Thanks.

>doing up a parts list for some Devastators
>plan to give them all Mark 8 torsos
>finally get around to building them after using up all my "spare" bitz on other models
>find out Mark 7 heads won't fit if you try to make them look where they're aiming
Welp, that was a letdown. Looks like I need to get another box of something and swap the chest pieces out for the ones I got.

or you could just cut the helmets down so they fit.
Once they sit behind the gorget you won't see the cuts.

The Deathwatch helmets have weak chins and are designed for MK8.

Might just be me but I work on metal models more than plastic usually so it always looks like working on plastic does nothing bad but then I work on some metal again and the brush goes to shit.

You guys have any recommendations for beginner brushes? I need some smaller brushes to get details. I'm not asking for golden demon quality brushes, I'm just trying to get some small details on my necron warriors.

Army painter brushes are okay for beginner painters

Seconded. I love their red handled brushes.

Anybody have any experience ordering from Brother Vinni? How long does it usually take? It's been a month and I'm itching to paint my, uh... gaming models. Yeah, that's it, gaming models.

What's your favorite thing to paint in your army? I personally love painting Ork faces. They've got so much character!

I prime my minis with spray using a cirurgical mask on a relatively well ventilated but tight indoors area, is it safe?

If you're a complete beginner just get some cheap synthetic brushes, a size 0 should handle all the details you'll want to cover
If you actually know how to care for brushes get some nice sable hair brushes, winsor and newton are the brand thrown around but warcolours do reasonably priced ones if you're in europe

>tfw 300 bucks of unpainted orks, a DW army, and a gobbo blood bowl to paint
>tfw unopened airbrush, and brushes along with some acryllics, and even some gunpla kits I picked up from the hobby shop
I can't find any motivation to paint, it's bizzare, i write I can go outside and exercise ive come back from a rut of depression, and I'm doing better then ever, but I just can't bring myself to paint, don't know what it is.

As weird as this may seem, try checking out a painting stream or youtube video or something. Seeing someone else paint might kick your desire to do so into gear.

Added some hellblasters to my backlog.

Dam straight boss, zoggin good face ye got dere.

I love painting Ork weapons.

>14 kits
cute

I have that same copy of Starship Troopers. Good taste, user.

I'm trying to do some edge highlighting for the first time, it's on a cadian's armour plates but I'm really struggling to keep my hand steady and for it not to look like shit. Any advice?

Use side of brush along the edges.

How did you get that chipping effect? Looks real nice.

Your room seems a bit cluttered horsemonster

Oh, I literally just dabbed on a bit of leadbelcher and rhinox hide in random spots, hit it with a bit of agrax earthshade too.

Taking a break from my infinity stuff to paint this guy

>don't know what it is

it's called being an irredeemable faggot

Fuck off ian you double nigger

Maybe someone here could give me a few pointers.

My DM recently got himself a 3D printer and has obviously offered us to print us character models if we get him the 3D model files. Anyone here know of any good quality, free 3D models of Gnome wizards or are Hero Forge's model files the best bet to get anything of the like?

Clean your house, manchild

Veeky Forums I NEED HELP

I spent 3-5 hours yesterday trying to glue arms to a metal model. (pic related) BUT I think my super glue might be fucked. it's zap-a-gap and 99% of the time i use this stuff it dries almost on contact. Now I haven't fucked around with metal models for about 5ish years but my memory of it wasn't/isn't this fucking painful.

basically i got part of 1 arm and the original arm to stay in place last night but i touched the arm this morning and it's not glued... it feels like it is, but it's just barely hanging there.

(I don't think it's a case of "wash the model" either, as it was painted and I stripped it and let it bathe in water and washed it again (i used nail polish remover and though it smells nice it's a really fucking strong smell))

anyway here's a pic but like, does super glue have a use-by date of sorts? i haven't used it in about a month and i got a weird feeling now that it's fucked as this fucking cunt of a model is allergic to it apparently.

Tester model for my new gobbo army, da blud-moon gitz, painted mainly via drybrush for speed.

looks dope

Started greenstuffing some stuff today. The Demon Prince head is going to take a lot of trial and error to get the shape right, I think. But some basic nurgly stuff on the tank and w/e on the cultists just to make them less guardy looking.

I'm pretty sure something like an archive of 3D fantasy models exists for 3D printer enthusiasts but I don't know where; I think my DM talked about it one time when he got his 3D printer.
Have you tried pinning it before attempting to glue? Also, try different glue if you think it's the glue.

I'm really stoked wip! My genestealers won 3rd best army at my store's 20th birthday celebration despite all the janky hazard stripes. I also won a speed painting competition and won 3rd best single model over 20 years old.
Me and Safety Co. Imperial Construction Solutions thanks you guys for tips and motivation

also, same guy have a collage of shit im working on as well.

Oh... just realized this might be fuck hueg file size.

but I'm Australian cunt and i got worse internet than combodia, Kikonga and Kazakistan so get over it if it's a problem too, i guess?

I wish recasters would just start selling Johnny already.

>we wuz kangs

Pretty fuckin' neato

Nope, that mask ain't stopping shit.
Yes, probably, but why take the risk?

Wash it, maybe lightly file/sand it.

First get all the dried glue off. I recommend pinning the arms on. If you dont want to pin, try scoring the contact points on both sides with a knife; it'll give the glue a better surface to adhere to.

Also what kind of glue are you using?

>we wuz gangs
ftfy

my goliaths are black too

Nice work user. Really glad these girls got some support in AoS, they really are great models, and your paint job does them justice.

As someone new to the hobby what are you fellas' general process when it comes to putting together/painting your models? I haven't had much trouble assembling and painting so far, but it never helps to check out different ways of doing things and also to doublecheck I'm not doing anything too retarded

depends on the model

for example on space marines I paint the gun and model separately so I can get into all the recesses, then glue them together afterwards

>wash sprues
>trim out parts for one guy
>dry fit
>glue
>repeat for four or five guys
>set squad aside for the next ten years while I put off priming

Any thoughts on my first batch of saurus warriors? I'm probably going to cut up some aquarium plants to put foliage on the bases.

>set squad aside for the next ten years while I put off priming

Emperor's Teeth, user, if you're me, then ... who the hell am I?!?

Scratched up a cobblestone base for my Reaper Iron Golem, and almost finished with my anti-borg rifle for the Appleseed ESWAT shit I'm working on.

>tfw not good enough to do a painting of Aniki on one of my banners
Ok how do I print a photo onto a plastic banner?

you either print on decal paper and transfer it that way or print on regular paper and glue that to the banner.
Works fine.

Won't regular paper look kind of cheap and 'off' in combination with plastic?

you paint over the edges to blend it in.

I really should have picked up on this solution myself.
Thanks user, I'll give it a go later this week.

Happy Saturday night folks. I have some pics from my repaint of the Ghost from Star Wars Rebels. Here's a pic straight from the box.

2/5 Added some scaring with an X-acto

3/5 Sanded down some of the excess flash from the xacto cuts, and added some dry brushing

That John Deere Goliath

4/5 some damage underneath

yo is the primaris exorcist user with the leviathan around, I was wanting to check out his scheme for my own army. Much appreciated

Bit late, but I was going thru the WIP backlogs

5/6

Shot of the rear engines painted. From the box they were just grey, with no coloring or engine light...the only thing I may add is a glow effect from the yellow paint.

I'm new to war gaming, and model painting

tell me how much of a fuck up I am. I wanna get better

Wait a minute i'll get it to orientate correctly eventually

Hey man, sure, your model isn't great, but if you're new, you'll improve no doubt mate. First things first. get a better camera, or learn to take some better quality pics. It'll help us, help you out a lot more when we can see the image better (not as blurry) and make sure you upload it right side up. Second, download a how to paint pdf, and look up on youtube videos on base layering, painting certain colors, and some How To tutorials Miniature-Wargamer Jay has a great (GREAT) series of painting vids

youtube.com/watch?v=GFpqxHFMZXs

Just finished a bit of terrain. C&C? I might make a whole table's worth of this.

I call it the Gene Deer.
The model's names aren't much better.
Phillips, Robertson, forsnter, duPont, deWalt, tyvek, Hurst, stihl, etc. I need some good names for my aberrants though

Thanks i'll check out these videos

Phillip, Waylon, and Bubba.

Harbor, Freight, Kobalt

Going with this. Thank you kind user

honestly that barely constitutes a painted mini

Here is an extremely basic tutorial on how to paint an ork boy. This was made for the battle for Vedros starter set which is literally intended for children and consists of extremely basic instructions in plain English.

youtube.com/watch?v=UvhuJRq73x4

Once you think you're comfortable with the basic painting techniques in those videos here are some more that you are likely to find helpful.

youtu.be/WE5jw620c78
youtube.com/watch?v=SDz8eWOw22U
youtu.be/4l0k8TeHgeA
youtu.be/ebU1zTFh7AE
youtube.com/watch?v=uNP7p5smZyQ

Not sucking consists of two parts. The first part is learning what you should be trying to do the second part is practicing doing that thing.

Cheers! I love the dude with the sign.

Some people think theyre hard drilling barrels. I just spent too much fucking time on these shields painting any fucking exposed nails

first time painting in 5 years, just finished a recess shade on first two guys (left pad not shaded because its going to be white)

Not bad at all, exceeeept
MOLD LINES

ik fuck

oh and btw they're going to be lamenters

120 grots done in one day

next weekend im going to try to crank out 29 meganobz

Then when my buddy gets back hes going to help basecoat my 120 boyz

jesus christ
what was your process?

In other words, MkVIII helmet was designed for MkVIII.

hey wanna buy all my old goblins?

Looks fucking rad man!!

Thanks!

I got two old Leman Russes as a payment for a ride from a friend. After stripping them from paint they are looking pretty rough.

Id like to try to do reversed Russ conversion but I have no idea how to break the glue of. No idea what glue was used.

Also other "modernizing" Leman Russ conversion ideas are welcome.

super glue would have come off with castrol super clean if thats what you used, if its plastic glue you're SOL

My guess is white primer and wash, wash, wash, wash. Impressive feat nonetheless

Lets hope that the guy he bought them from used super glue...

Haha, I like it user! KDM's author is one of us, so it's entirely possible that his lantern witch is a reference to something else.