Eastern/Oriental Elemental Powers

Pic related is supposed the fitting diagram for Elemental Powers in Eastern/Oriental board. Any suggestions?

I wouldn't trust Naruto as the source of my element system bro.

Use Wu Xing. There's only one "element" but it goes through phases.

Wood used to be water and gradually turns into fire.
Wood becomes fire faster the more gold there is nearby.
Fire becomes earth slower the more wood there is nearby.
(And so on.)

At least these diagrams are based on Wu Xing and Japanese Godai (五大) So it's really not much different.

The Chinese word 金 *is* metal AND gold.
The old meaning (according to my dictionary) was even copper, just to add to the confusion.

Essentially it's metal. And if the context makes sense, gold. If you need to be clear and unambiguous that you're specfically talking about gold, you can always add 黄 meaning yellow.

Errrm, you got some explanations for that diagram? I'm studying Chinese so it's a nice exercise, but some of those don't make much sense.
灼 is light or burning, scorching.... is that light?
what about 磁 ? It says "magnetism" but also "porcelain" ! WTF? I'd have thought Earth + Wind was dust, myself.
(which it is, it seems, as 薼)
Separating mist 岚 and steam 沸 is interesting.

And I'm completely baffled by thunder 雷 being there at all. Unless they meant lightning, but as a primary element? Weird.

And why is 爆 explosion an element? (if you have thunder).

Anyway, this is cool, OP. Gis' more!

It's Naruto, dude. Setting required combinations between elements, so there are huge amount of retarded bullshit just for the factor of cool.
灼 was officially translated as "scorching" element - basically "dry" heat without flames.

>Wood, Metal, Earth
I want to replace one with Air, but I don't know which one would be best to replace.

Wood. And Metal can be replaced with Electricity/Lightning/Thunder

Wood is air in a sense. It's something to do with the fact that the main way you "saw" the wind back in the olden days was through the swaying of the trees and leaves. It's why a lot of wind magic animations in grorious Nippon games have a green tint with leaves in them.

>It's why a lot of wind magic animations in grorious Nippon games have a green tint with leaves in them.
Holy shit, I always wondered about that

Happy to help, user

I once ran an eastern styled game where there were two types of magic: Wu Xing was 'material' magic and was like Avatar bending and Naruto style jutsu, based on the five Wu Xing elements (), while Feng Shui was 'spiritual' magic and was more like your traditional wizards hit with magic circles, curses and all sorts of diverse effects.

Of course this was a complete bastardisation and oversimplification of the actual concepts of Wu Xing and Feng Shui but the game wasn't really meant to be historical or accurate, just dumb Eastern style fun.

Please tell me that getting shitfaced also made you a master of martial arts

It definitely would have done but sadly the game petered out before I got a chance to introduce any drunken kung fu masters.

That's a shame, I'd certainly loved to have heard stories of PC's getting drunk as all balls and taking out entire armies while butt naked and singing folk songs loudly and out of tune.

Also, not a factor in these archaic models but, plants are made out of air.

Thank you anons. I guess I'll connect Air with some vis vitalis and have life/nature/plants by proxy.

I prefer only four base elements of stone, air, water, fire.

Then lava from fire/stone, earth from water/stone, sand from air/stone, lighting from fire/air, acid from fire/water, and ice from air/water.

After that it's wood from stone/water/air, metal from stone/fire/water, crystal from stone/fire/air, and plasma/energy from fire/water/air.

I usually think of it as eight elements:

Metal -- Fire -- Light
Earth ------------- Air
Dust - Water - Wood

With Wood being essentially life energy; Dust anything in-between solids and liquids: snow, ashes, sand, etc... and Light covering lightning and shadow.

Getting shitfaced also part of martial arts, it's called Drunken Style-fists

Naruto's magic system is the only good part of it.

Why Void element is kinda rare?

Winds/Air is covered by Wood actually.

Dry as opposed to the wet mist on the other side. OK, that I can understand.

And I never really followed Naruto, but I'm open minded : I'm always happy to discover a new elemental system. As uninspired as they may be, I love to see how their logic connects to the worldbuilding.

I think my favourite is probably the Mage the Awakening with the Spheres and the Entropy/Balance/Order trinity. Awesome stuff, really.

Because Nature abhors it. Obviously.

It was interesting to see it used in L5R, though.
And even more interesting to discover that this was used because of Miyamoto Musashi's book where he himself didn't use the traditional WuXing cycle, but instead the fire / water / earth / air / void ensemble

Man Naruto got convoluted with its elements

Shouldn't Life and Death be at opposites?

>not using Spheres

Damned Disparates.

Reserved for Western/Occidental Occult though

I don't see any Lightning/Thunder element in either Wu Xing or Godai. So why put in there?

Yes, that was what I was referring to. Congratulations on pointing out the fucking obvious.

It's almost like people don't actually read the thread before replying!