Plumbing in your setting

How is sewage disposed pf in your setting? Are the streets clean? Is there running water?

Buncha ascetic, kind hearted rat people live underneath the cities and shovel shit, garbage and drugs out of the city/towns

Everyone shits and pisses right in the street, the shit and piss channels by the side of the road lead to stink and disease as they slowly work their way down to the river people drink from, and the toilet is considered a foul and degenerate invention of evil foreigners.

I'm not Victor Hugo, so I don't worry about it.

So your campaign is set in India?

You made me and my Dad laugh. Thanks!

Depends on where you are.
The main cities of the Empire are massive things built atop of well planned and generally well maintained sewers to avoid the endless plagues that used to blight them.
Further afield you go and you get lucky if they have fertilser pit toilets.
I even specifically pointed out once that the town they were at had a large communal outhouse on the downhill side of the village that jutted out over the river. This was because they were going to be following said river down to the valley where there was going to be disease about.

Theres indoor plumbing made by a thinktank of the most intelligent human Wizards, skilled Dwarven craftsmen, and Snootiest of elves.

The "toilets" have fat pipes that lead to a sewage system with "natural" flowing water that'll carry said waste into the distance.

They don't have e running water but I've never made water be a problem.

Who cares?

Are you and your dad on this site for the first time?

>not shitting all over the place at random
leddit plz go!

Autism is strong in you, OP

I remember reading an article that going to a roman toilet was describes as horrifying and unpleasant by graffiti because snakes and other crawlies could be found, somethimes biting your ass and that the smell and filth was considerable for even those who were used to shitting in the streets.

But then again that could just've been people who doesn't like change, just like europe handled the reinvention of toilets later.

Larger solids are filtered out and incinerated, the rest goes through a ring producing an Enhance Water effect which ends up producing a stout that is then supplied to all local taverns. The larger organic solids are basically composted.

Thank you for this thread. I never thought about it

Mighty tower of wizards in center of city built water collectors for their Shit Blastin' Sewage Slide. Gravity powers the sewage for the whole town.

depends on the kingdom, the dwarves had plumping, the elves do, the humans and orcs dont

Well now that depends where you live

> Vast majority of the wastes
Dig a hole in the sand and bury it like a cat. In the most developed settlements, a bigger hole for everyone is dug.

> Miracle
Dumped over the side of the Great-Wall for Outer Miracle scavengers to pick through

> Boomtown
Officially, you're supposed to toss it over the border wall so the Bust sharecropper farms can use it as fertilizer. Unofficially, it's cheaper to pay some chump to get rid of it his own way and not ask any questions. The Capulet mob family run the debtor's farms, and other families would rather they didn't profit from their waste. Just don't dump it in the sea or the Montagues'll be on your ass for dicking with their fishing operations.

> Central
Actually efficient waste management system. Probably the only surviving plumbing in the wastes. Say what you want about the crushing autocracy and maze of bureaucracy, but they keep the toilets flushing.

> Firstfolk
They're frugal enough to know you can actually use that stuff. A lot of it goes towards medicine, some is used for materials like bricks (though the Firstfolk are nomadic, so they rarely need them), plenty is used as fuel, and so on and so forth.

There's also a unique little critter native to the wastes called the Shitfish. They're a sort of flat lungfish who spend a lot of their time underground near deposits of mud where the soil is moist and cool. When it comes time to reproduce, they wriggle their way to the surface to attract a predator, who they allow to eat them. Their eggs are tough enough to survive digestion, and are later deposited elsewhere along with a steaming pile of shit their newborn fry can feed on. The relationship sort of works like fruit seeds and birds. Humans have learned to make use of shitfish by storing them in a pot full of mixed mud and sand that they use as a lavatory. The fish gets to eat and keep moist, and the human can effectively dispose of waste, plus later harvest the fish for a meal in a pinch. They can even poop out the eggs into the same pot later to repeat the process, albeit with diminishing returns because of the way caloric energy transfer works.

I run darksun so people just mainly shit in the sand somewhere. Major cities have communal litterboxes which dung beatles rifle around in. Dung from livestock is regarded as valuable fertilizer and is sometimes even traded for, stolen or fought over by peasant farmers

Roman toilets and baths were a practical solution to the problem of having 1,000,000 people living packed like sardines. I see no reason why they would not be horrible, especially in hot weather. You wiped your ass with a communal rag on a stick and I doubt they wasted clean water on washing after every drunkard who pissed everywhere but into the hole.

Cities in my world are mostly relatively speaking pretty small, due to constraints given by the particular economy. Even the biggest don't go much over 20k people living at any given time.
Sewage is a problem and so is frequently fresh water. A couple of cities have undeground canals and aquaducts bringing in fresh water, some even have Indus-valley-style public toilets, but mostly they rely on wells and sewage gets flushed into rivers/street and simple drainage systems. Streets are understandably very messy. Water is usually collected from wells or from rivers.
The majority of the world is pretty dry anyway. Most of my inspiration comes from Central Asia and Middle East regions.

Thankfully, statistically the biggest bulk of the population of the world are pastoreal and nomadic or semi-nomadic, or live in fairly small societies.

If your settings is heavy on deserts then dung would be most likely the most common form of fuel too.

Dwarf tech combined with Not!European imagination. No toilets but clean running water keeps the smell away.

Being Dwarfs I'd think they'd consider the use of bentonite clay as a moisture, grease and smell absorberet material that makes excellent fertiliser after use.

Intriguing? Go on.

The stuff they use for cats, it's a natural clay that powdered and baked a bit to puff up like rice crispies.

Does exactly what it say on the label, also works wonders for oil spills.

I got you. Not a cat owner so I didn't know.

Primitive technology is a youtube channel where a guy builds stuff from almost nothing and it's given me a lot of ideas of how even a simple sewage system could work.

Middle Renaissance, so midden heaps, latrines and downriver shit creeks.

Luckily most people know to drink only spring water , well water, or wine. The elves have access to pokemon-style elemental spirits, so they've got shit eating magic plumbing. The Dwarves cultivate megafauna insects and fungus, so they're covered. It's the Beastmen with the worst hygiene, because they mostly rely on regeneration and innate robust health to offset the archaic shit smearing practices.

Not just for cats also useful if you have a car or hell anything you'd store in a garage, it'll suck up oil, brake fluid, gasoline, chemicals, piss, puke.

It's it's runny and nasty, bam. Kitty litter.

I am going to look this stuff up. Thanks dude!

Usually you just shit your enemy out whoever you feel would have caused them the most shame.