Has anyone ever run a post-apoc game in their hometown?

Has anyone ever run a post-apoc game in their hometown?

I liked the aesthetic of the Stalker games, and I think it would be fun to have players scavenging through their memories in the changed environment.

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Setting:The_Post-Apocalyptic_Roadmap
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isometric_projection
shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Dallas/Ft._Worth
reddit.com/r/stalker/comments/7hj0dg/cordon_isometric/dqrsr1a/?context=3
flickr.com/photos/161164965@N07/sets/72157690025508254/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Going to dump some isometric screenshots of STALKER locations in the meantime.

These were all taken in game, all that was applied was filter.

Can't really answer the thread question but hot damn these pics are good.

semi-relevant but the old MSH RPG had a post apocalyptic series of adventures set in the days of future past setting (the one where the Sentinels rebel, kill most of the super heroes and take over the USA). It encouraged you to have the game set in your hometown, with a mutant detention camp in it.

Much as though people didn't like Fallout 4 on the whole, I did really like that element to it at the beginning where you go back to your town after you get out of the vault.

Man stalker 1 and 2 really had some amazing locations, if only CoP had something like it too it would've been the best of the series.

Wait wait wait... how were you able to take those screenshots? They are awesome!

I mean it seems nothing more than him noclipping up into the sky and taking a photo, then applying a filter as mentioned in the thread.

>Has anyone ever run a post-apoc game in their hometown?
No, because I'm not actualy convinced anyone would be able to tell the difference, besides maybe the reduced violent crime rate and generally more pleasant atmosphere.

That does not seem plausible... there are no people there, in the rookie village there are always some stalkers squatting around the fires cheeki breeki'ng their guitars. Must be something else AND I WANT TO KNOW HOW :D

it's not that easy. rendering 3d models in an isometric view isn't something that can just be done in game (probably). there'd be no need for devs to implement isometric views

Serve some tea to this gentleman from Eastern Europe, and make it double.

We played a zombie apocalypse game using d20 modern set in our hometown. It was pretty neat. It ended after three sessions though which was a shame.

We all started in our respective homes and made our way to meet up. Second session we stole a car and looted some supplies. Third session we helped some cops defend the police station from bandits and zombies in exchange for some firearms.

It was awesome while it lasted

>there are no people there, in the rookie village there are always some stalkers squatting around the fires
Removed them by console command?
Its a 3d game user, its already rendered. Games having isometric view is nowdays more a problem with having a fixed camera working as it should.

I'm currently doing the legwork so I can run something about my hometown being overrun by zombies and monsters. I'll probably run it online since none of my friends Veeky Forums and I don't live in my hometown any more.

Nice maps though. I just used Google maps to construct one of my town and the outskirts.

Going far enough up in the sky could be enough for the game not to draw NPCs and monsters.

^This. If you go up high enough you'll exceed the draw distance.

But I think he just got out-of-bounds or something so it only draws some parts of the world

>Moscow
that'd be too depressing lol. Although I might try to mix it with Shadowrun and C&C in future, for better flavour.

ran a "hidden monsters" game with my hometown as the setting and the players playing themselves

we made a shitty little d20 system and statted eachother in either sophomore or freshman year of hs. super fun

I didn't run a game, but me and my friends created this sort of post-apocalyptic version of our hometown while walking in the nearby woods.
It was set after a civil war had broken out following a referendum that was held in December 2016. We talked for hours many times, imagining what the townspeople would do, what would the factions be, what would we do.
I think it has great potential. We had a load of fun just by fantasizing about it

My town is pretty easy to view as post-apocalyptic anyway, 40% of the homes are in substandard or worse conditions, 9% are abandoned, we have multiple unlivable derelicts, and the population has a huge dropout rate, tremendous heroin and pill problems, and a shit-ton of people who pretty much reinforce both the "conservatives are inbred racist hillbilles" and "liberals are lazy and want to live off welfare" stereotypes to the extreme so they're not much different from how you'd expect them to be in post-disaster conditions (lazy, drugged, poorly educated and angry about shit that's their own fault).

Hell, we even have a lovely barrier of woodlands and hills where barely anyone lives keeping the town separate from its neighbors.

I'd STALKER this place, yeah.

I haven't played it, but I did start the early preperations for one. Helps that I'm in Europe, so there's a lot of cool medieval stuff in the region. Just the closest citiy has this:

>walled castle on a hill, ideal for conquest or base building
>long, wide island strip created by river and canal, bridged can be fortifed for a New Vegas style post apoc city
>harbor with lots of industrial buildings to serve as dungeons
>lots of small villages hidden in wooded hills for exploring

Also, didn't we have this exact thread last year?

I actually used to run post-apo campaigns in the ruins of Prague, my hometown many, many years ago. It had a very practical reason - we were back in highschool and my classmates enjoyed roleplaying in areas they were very intimate about.

Dude, do you NOT KNOW that isometric view is an actually seriously twisted form of perspective?

You can't make this simply by flying a camera in the sky and taking a screenshot.

All of these were likely hand-made - with all the props actually re-created specificially for these shots. God knows if it even is in the engine, most likely no. Jesus, how do you not know anything about perspective?!

Does anyone know any games with a good system for actually running 'having a post apoc settlement'? Most location-managing systems in RPGs are pretty shit.

Mutant: Year Zero

For those of us who didn't spend 50 grand for a graphic design major, what's wrong with isometric perspectives?

I'll just leave this here. Seems relevant:
1d4chan.org/wiki/Setting:The_Post-Apocalyptic_Roadmap

>what's wrong with isometric perspectives?
Nothing is wrong about it: it's a style of representation. It just does not follow basic depth perception the way naked eye sees the world. Did you seriously not study perspective in elementary or at least fucking highschool?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isometric_projection
It just twists perspective in a way a naked eye would not do. If you have a normal 3D object, you can view a single one isometrically if it's in the direct center of your vision, but you can't have the view maintain isometry expanding to the objects that surround it.
You can create it artifically, by creating a specific system of projection that always maintains the exact same angles and ratios for all three main axis. However, you have to make all of your objects from scratch in this projection, and they will have to be 2D, or have twisted or plastic proportions.

I wanted to run a post-apoc game in Paris, but I'm pretty sure it would be more comfy than the actual Paris.

There is nothing wrong with havin a comfy or bright post apoc setting. It doesn't have to be all about loss and humans being bastards, it could just as well be building a better world or just getting away from the stress of modern life.

Heck, I'll do the premise for you: One day, humans just disappeared. After X years they start appearing again in the world, but stretched out over hundreds of years and different locations. Still kinda shitty situation, but almost no one died. Take your pick of location and rebuilt civilisation and just drop your players there.

Depends on the apoc.
There's good odds Paris would improve, yes. Especially if soon after the apocalypse there's a "guillotine the rich and redistribute their stuff" kind of situation.

That wouldn't improve shit. The only way to improve Paris is to get rid of the parisians, all of them.

Hell yeah, and it was fucking amazing
Back when i was a kid, there was a game called Twilight:2000 that was basically: ww3 happened, its the super futuristic year 2000 in spring. Youre fucked cause your stuck in war ravaged eastern europe.
Evemtually we ran a module called Going Home and ended up back in the US fighting roving gangs n restoring order in Maryland, northern W Virginia and southern PA.
We were all from Pittsburgh, though we didnt live there at the time (college) and I got my hands on the module Allegheny Uprising in due time. When we ran the adventure, instead of it taking a few sessions, it took the next 15 or so because we knew almost too much about the area. It was still the single greatest gaming experience. It all felt super real when you could say shit like "well, ya know that apartment bldg two blocks down? Thats blown up and so is x, y and z over on Chalfonte. Your parents home on Greenwood down the street in Bellevue are obliterated"

It looks fun. I'd like to do the one for France

Quick, gimme some modern dungeons for these settings. No sewers.

>former asylum/hospital
>factory, still partially powered with machine tools being erratic
>commieblock, enormous rats in the basement especially

Plane crash + anything
Hotel
Mall
FEMA camp or its equivalent
Rooftops surrounding a sweeping fire
Corporate tower

>A local mansion now home to a group of bandits
>A once lived-in shopping mall, now overrun
>A school whose halls have random obstructions and barricades, making it almost into a maze

Its nothing that impressive.

CAD software does it by default and many CAD suites can switch between the two on the fly. It's literally just a camera setting.

Wow, most extensive projection and 2D-to-3D translating software in the world can actually do different forms of perspective and projections on a fly? WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT.

>It's literally just a camera setting.
Quick question: Why the everliving fuck do you even insist on talking about shit you clearly don't know anything about? What drives you people to post like this?

Construction site.

I don't like using familiar locales, takes away from the exploration feel that is, for me, essential to P&P.

CAD is a type of software, not a specific product. Literally had a question about in state exam this week, higher education doesn't ask you stuff that requires buying from a company. At least in my country.

You two are probably approaching this from very different perspectives. It's possible that isometric is a crapton of work for those old games while being utterly trivial in production software, calm down.

>CAD is a type of software, not a specific product.
True, I pretty much automatically associate CAD software with AutoCAD, given that pretty much nobody in my country ever uses a different one (yeah, I know...) and people consistently simply talk about AutoCAD as "CAD" for short.
That said, that changes nothing, all CAD software works on the same principle: manipulating and representing geometric space through various possible means and projections.

>You two are probably approaching this from very different perspectives.
We are approaching this from the exact same perspective, it's just that one of us knows what the fuck we are talking about, while the other does not. You can't just grab a set of 3D asset and set your camera to magically give you an isometric view of the space.
Yeah, if you have a CAD file and CAD software that can warp perspective and alter individual models through mathematical tools in order to create an isometric representation of the space, sure.

Except these people were literally arguing that making an isometric representation of Stalker map is as easy as flying the camera into the skies and taking a screenshot. That it is - and I QUOTE - "a matter of camera placement or setting".

No, it's a matter of ENTIRELY REDRAWING THE ITEM IN ALL OF IT'S PROPORTIONS and creating a perspective that is IMPOSSIBLE to achieve with normal, non-altered 3D representation of the object.

Oil rig
Traffic jam
Abandoned fort
Police station
Bank

I'm doing my first session of STALKER rp set in our area this weekend. I got the players to contribute 4 places, monsters, NPCs or anomalies. This built up the setting and gave me lots of seeds for adventures.

It will use a simplified Dark Heresy ruleset.

It's literally what the Z-LAND RPG is all about. They even did a youtube series about them roleplaying the apocalypse in their hometown.

I appreciate that some guy took up the mantle of explaining what the deal is with isometric perspective, but also got flustered about it.

We almost have something post-apocalyptic where I live in Shadowrun: shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Dallas/Ft._Worth
Arlington being a Z-zone doesn't surprise me. Go there south of Cooper after midnight and see if you come back.

Man, I live in Chicago and I'm shocked that Shadowrun somehow made life even worse in 2060.

>My hometown
Running a post-apoc game in Austin TX is like New Vegas's Wild Wasteland but completely unironically.

Ran an EABA Warpworld game set in central New Hampshire. It ran for about a year and a half. Players enjoyed it quite a bit.

Yes, zombies. It was pretty fun. I lived in Verbania back then though, so... obvious strategy is obvious, seize one of the islands and fortify it.

Bonus: One of the people at that pub (we played in a pub) had done exactly that IRL in the seventies.

Counterpoint : a view extremely isometric-like can be achieved by rendering normal 3D, noclipping extremely high in the sky assuming render distance is big enough, then taking pics.

>One of the people at that pub (we played in a pub) had done exactly that IRL in the seventies.
Repelled zombies?

>All of these were likely hand-made
OP literally said they were all taken in-game

>You can't make this simply by flying a camera in the sky and taking a screenshot.
Its likely the shots aren't actually isometric but OP just said they were.

>You can't make this simply by flying a camera in the sky and taking a screenshot.

From the guy who made the images:
"I took them myself; it's pretty ghetto. I set fov to 5, use an overlay to line up the camera at the correct angle, then zoom way out and pan around to get the shot."

Some guy then asks: "An overlay? Like something you stick on the monitor? What would a helpful one of those look like?"

to which he replies: "It's just a big image of an isometric cube that I can line up with a sharp corner on a building or whatever. And it's an in-game UI texture, not taped to the screen"

So he does take them in game, just does one building at a time (I assume?) then patches them together or something.

The thread:
reddit.com/r/stalker/comments/7hj0dg/cordon_isometric/dqrsr1a/?context=3

Full album:
flickr.com/photos/161164965@N07/sets/72157690025508254/

what did they come up with

a prepper home. Fortified and trapped to hell and back. Open the wrong door and you find an armed claymore marked "SMILE". Somewhere downstairs you'll find the preppers corpse - looks like he forgot to disarm the spike trap he hid in the toilet before using it.

Pls more of these screenshots, or source.
They will do nicely for my stalker campaign.

See