Where would the capital be?

If Earth federated into a single nation and planted colonies in space, where would our capital be? I've heard arguments for New York, London, Tokyo, Singapore, and even Geneva.

Unironically Jerusalem (It IS quite in the middle, if you look at it planet-wise)

Also, testing trip

Remember that India and China has about a third of the world's population. There's an argument for Beijing and Delhi as well.

I say either Rome, or an artificial city built in orbit.

The Falklands. To Remind the Argentinians even after all this time they're never ever getting it.

New York or Los Angeles.

No need for capital when we have Skype.

Why would we need a capital?
Most multinational entities split up duties amongst member countries.
Main trading centre -> London
Main Parliament -> New York
Legistative Body -> Geneva
Supreme Court -> The Hague

I could see a city on an artificial island in what was international waters.

Why force a massive government to fit into what would essentially be tiny cities? (Yes those cities you listed)

I would argue that if a newly federated government were to have a capital, it would be constructed brand new in a relatively spacious area for future generations to expand. I’m thinking huge areas like the midwestern states, Siberia, certain parts of Africa, or if you want to be really scifi, build it in Antarctica, the sea, or on the moon.

Honestly they'd probably not want to play favorites and give it to any existing city and build a new place to be the capital instead, like with Washington, DC.

I'd stick it in the middle of the ocean or in Kenya for that space elevator goodness.

New York
>UN building
>diverse enough
>aliens attack it all the time

No, the middle of the earth planet wise is the fire molten core.

Probably split up, like said. If we had a space elevator, then the top of that (or the main/first one, if multiple) would be a good one. Or a man-made island somewhere.

Old grudges probably wouldn't go away. Each of the US, Russia, and China would likely bicker and squabble too much to allow either of the others to have the honor. Jerusalem would be too politically charged, and nobody wants to give the people in that area any more reason to blow themselves up.

The thing about a world capital is that it should be easy to get to the world capital. Even bureaucracy is greased slightly by access to food, entertainment, and manpower. It should also be easy to defend or at least harder to attack. It should also stand apart from local politics. It should also be built in a geologically stable area.

In this vein, Geneva works well. Connected to most of Europe, surrounded by mountains, a relaxing and thoughtful atmosphere. And surrounded by NATO, in case someone wants to start shit.

A new city in the middle of Colorado or New Mexico would also work. If you put aside the usual pop culture Americanisms, put the new capital close to your new interplanetary starports or mass driver. The mentioned Gobi Desert capital would also work, if at cost of much more difficult geoforming.

Putting the capital somewhere in North Africa would also leave it sufficiently close to transport links while at the same time mitigating the damage when the inevitable space war comes and the enemy launches KKVs at it.

Everywhere on the planet is "the middle" depending on how you look at it.

I mean, we have an Equator though.

If Gundam has taught me anything, it's that the capital will be in Senegal. Dakar, to be specific.

Dakar

Gundam's king of bewildering headquarters decision. Besides the the Federation's military headquarters being in the middle of the Amazon, didn't they have a capital in...Lhasa, Tibet in CCA?

Area 51.

Manhattan. UN's already there. Also the cultural and economic capital of the world ever since Paris lost that title.

We already have a world capital, it's Washington DC

>didn't they have a capital in...Lhasa, Tibet in CCA?
Yes and then they immediately went back to Dakar only for it to be blown up again a few years later.

Cairo or Port Said would be great. One global capital for a unitary planetary government is unrealistic though, so in a federal system the existing UN HQ of New York is most likely
God bless you user

Beijing.

I would argue for founding a new city, near the space elevator or catapult or whatever we end up with and built with actual proper cutting edge city planning. All these big cities people keep mentioning are already burdened by the massive amount of people in them, we don't need ducking LA or NY traffic slowing down the capitol

Olympus.

Like Brussels as the EU's de facto capital, it likely would be in a country that is not particularly controversial or threatening by itself. Putting the capital in Beijing, New York or somewhere like that would reinforce the impression that the union is Chinese or American dominated among smaller countries, or flare up rivalries between those big powers. The countries of the world would only agree on a capital somewhere irrelevant enough that nobody feels endangered by it. The city itself would likely be purpose-built for the job like the capitals of Australia and Brazil.

I'd trade London with New York, but it seems like a good list. For military matters, I think the Pentagon would be the primary choice if the militaries were to unify as well.

>I think the Pentagon would be the primary choice if the militaries were to unify as well.
We should build a space station.

>A new city in the middle of Colorado or New Mexico would also work.

time-zone wise Denver is pretty centrally located, you can talk to Tokyo and London in the same business day.

>>A new city in the middle of New Mexico

This is the best choice because we could call it "Mu Nextico"

GDI did use the Pentagon after Nod blew up the Philadelphia in Tiberium Wars.

>Like Brussels as the EU's de facto capital
That's a pretty difficult issue within Europe. Luxembourg holds the European Court of Justice and Strasbourg is technically the seat of its parliament, so both of those cities also have pretenses of being the European capital. Though it's clear Brussels comes out ahead. Probably because Strasbourg is French and France is one of the two dominant EU powers.

Personally I prefer Strasbourg though, mainly due to it's importance to both the French and Germans historically.

I imagine a 'global capital' would be the same deal, with multiple cities vying for that title due to institutions being so spread out. Though honestly, we all know that if earth united today it'd be an American planet.

Either one of the First Cities of the middle east, carefully renovated for the purpose, or, my preference, a city with a history of being the conquered, the oppressed, the decimated. Warsaw, Dublin, Lima, Nairobi. If a city is to become the heart of a unified humanity, it must not be the heart of a conqueror.

>If a city is to become the heart of a unified humanity, it must not be the heart of a conqueror.

Not only the Parliament is split, basically all various institutions are scattered across EU. There was even argument who gets British institutions after Brexit.

The Moon.

why would anyone want a one world nation? disgusting.

If it grows out of the UN, New York City is the only reasonable option because UN Headquarters is already there. Could probably build a Sixth mini-Borough in the harbor too if you needed extra space.

So we can present a united front toward the aliens so they don't divide-and-conquer us, duh

The Himalayan mountains for even a technological army will have problems blasting the mountains.

dude le humanity fuck yeah aliens bro i want a one world mixed government with no unique cultures because of le humanity fuck yeah desires hahahahaa

How about the North Pole? Given climate change, it seems only Canada, Scandinavia, and Russia will benefit from it. Everyone else seems kinda screwed.

I'd rather share a country with ayy's than with muzzies tee bee aytch

Beijing.

OP here.
The big reason that I was asking this is because I'm writing a sci-fi setting and I was at a loss as to where a good capital would be.

>Space station or moon
I really want it to be on the Earth, although a station would be really cool.

>Most multinational entities split up duties among member countries.
That's a good idea. Kind of like South Africa too.

>Dakar
Did they do that just because it's a cool looking location? Because I would totally buy that.

>Either one of the First Cities of the middle east, or a city with a history of being the conquered
The timeline of the setting splits off from ours in 2008, so I was considering Damascus or Aleppo which were both very nice places before the Arab Spring. The "history of being conquered" thing would fit well with the party which unified Earth in setting. Humanity unites in a large war between isolationists and xenophiles who are both being supported by outsiders in a Spanish Civil War kind of deal. The xenophiles won, and the pro-human factions all moved out to the frontier or to orbital habs where they could better build up defenses. They're more attached to defending humanity than defending the planet.

Toronto. Its the OBJECTIVELY best city on the planet.

>The feminist capital of North America
That's a no from me, mate.

> the North Pole
So you want an unstable base that changes it's location, will be a nightmare to keep supplied and heated, and has to have all the building materials imported to a region with no infrastructure.
(hint: the only land under the North Pole is the seabed!)

Dont forget the latest: fucking Edmonton, Canada.
>Be Canadian.
>Literally nothing happens in Edmonton.
>Some Anime show uses it as a background setting.
>National headlines.

Supporting this
>Very central location (at confluence of africa, asia and europe, roughly equally distant from beijing and DC)
>One of the oldest cities in the world
>Already is great ecumenical site, no one religion can claim ownership
>putting the worlds leadership there will help encourage efforts to keep the middle east peaceful

Government and culture aren't synonymous, user. There are plenty of nations with a lot of internal cultural variation. There are nations where multiple languages are spoken, where multiple ethnic grpups coexist, where multiple religions have significant following and so on. You're confusing two entirely different things.

>implying it won't be a federation

Globalisation has always led to cultures being destroyed. Globalisation in my country (the UK) has destroyed customs, accents, etc.

A one world government would make it even worse.

>There are nations where multiple languages are spoken, where multiple ethnic grpups coexist

none of them, however, are functional democracies.

Come to think of it, I never actually thought about where the UN HQ was located until now.

It depends a lot on how its managed, I do recognise the issue, but many places like Nigeria manage to maintain high cultural identity by giving great internal power to their component states, allowing the islamic ones their sharia law while allowing their christian states to opt out. The federal government concerns more national matters. A world federation would work more like a giant EU composed of many tiny states with a degree of autonomy, and would be mostly indistinguishable from one without an external society to compare it to.

I'd rather blow myself up in building site than give canada anything of such importance.

>Globalisation has always led to cultures being destroyed
>Has always.
The history of globalization is like, what, 20-50 years old?

>The UK
Not to mention you Anglos started it.

Roma Caput Mundi, filthy barbarian

When am I defending globalisation?
and look at the history of globalisation

Startrek put it in Paris. They then went on to avoid every war possible, even if they had to sell out their own citizens to do it.

>global one world country=multicultural and racial shithole.
>Doesn’t equal a mono race where only small cultural differences exist (ala USA and her states)

You chose to post on a board of fiction, and yet your brain could not come to the fiction that would imply your ideology as true. Is this some new form of brainless?

What if we put it on a boat and sailed it all over the world?

Reminder: Brexit
Replace all mentions of London with Frankfurt.

We would have to found a floating city in the ocean with an equal number of people from every country

>implying the Brits have done anything but tremendously benefit from globalization
The wealth of a full quarter of the planet flooded into the place for how long, and you think you've been getting the short end of the stick? For fuck's sake, the whole idea of the United Kingdom more or less strangles out the cultures of everyone on those wretched islands but the English.

Paris being the capital of France is shut enough, both for Paris and for France. I'd say Geneva like in Starship Troopers.

Merkel please leave

Switzerland and Belgium aren't functional democracies for you?

Belgium isn't, for once. They regularly have central government shutdowns.

Switzerland is, however.

Jerusalem would make sense.

I absolutely adore that were talking about the far future, a truly united world, and yet there is still fighting in the middle East.

Kek.

I mean, you know, practicalities notwithstanding.

>and yet there is still fighting in the middle East.
Some things never change

Ideally? Jerusalem.
Most logically? Geneva.
Realistically? New York

It used to be

I think you can assume that even on a united world there will always be hostilities near the fringes. There will always be rebellions and splinter factions and things like that.

Because the US is the UN's deputy sheriff.

>near the fringes
>Middle east
It's the cradle of civilisation ffs.

Cradle of Shivilization

Macapá, along with a space elevator built there.

Warsaw.

Switzerland.

I'm onto you, you neutral fucks.

That's actually a pretty good idea. I like it.

We're going to build Atlantis. Calling it now.

>If Earth federated into a single nation

Would it even have a federal capital? It would msot likely just split up its government bodies and functions between all the Alpha level global cities. Maybe have its capital on the moon or a space station as a symbol of neutrality and its intention to colonize and rule over space colonies.

Because all examples of federal states or pseudostates (like the EU) have a capital.

No they dont. Several of them have spread their government functions around. Many of the historic federations even moved their capitals around or never even had one.

Also, the EU has no capital.

Is that just a halo nod or is there some actual reason ONLY Kenya could support a space elevator?

Well so far nowhere on earth could get a space elevator, that being said the Kilimanjaro could be a mass driver (Shadowrun).

Kathmandu, like in Char's Counterattack

Space elevators should be built at the equator

A Man-made island just off the coast of Ghana, right at the intersection of the Prime Meridian and the Equator.

We could build it on the sun.

So I guess its safe to say in the far future where Earth has finally reached sci-fi levels of advanced tech, space travel and even finally met aliens. Not only is the Middle East still a shithole where Arabs still hate Israel and the West and women there are too limp-dicked to stand up for themselves.

But Syria would still be a ravaged war torn faction shitfest hellhole excuse of a country where the government chucks chemical weapons and barrel bombs at people it don't like, White Helmets continue to "save people" And Bashar Al-Assad and his relatives and closest allies are now a nigh-immortal brains in jars still ruling over the Syrian regime, correct?

The jar-people are also elves now.

Please do not compare elves to a typical Middle East Arab Despots who chuck poison gas at people it does not like.

Yeah! Elves use magic nature gas instead.