/osrg/ — Old School Renaissance General

This thread is for the discussion of TSR-era D&D and its various clones and derivatives.

>Trove: pastebin.com/raw/QWyBuJxd
>Tools & Resources: pastebin.com/raw/KKeE3etp
>Old School Blogs: pastebin.com/raw/ZwUBVq8L

>>Previous Thread:

What's the most radical rule change in your game that you would actually recommend to others?

Other urls found in this thread:

onesevendesign.com/dw/world_of_dungeons_1979_bw.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>What's the most radical rule change in your game that you would actually recommend to others?
Moving from Basic to AD&D

In one fell swoop, or bit by bit importing options?

>AD&D

FOE GYG

I want to transition from 5e to oldschool

What are some OSR games that have some modern sensibilities / 5e like games that have oldschool shit / 5e supplements that add some old school shit

Advantage/Disadvantage. It provides a good guideline for hedging your bets mechanically.

Supplementary trove room:

v0l@
/r/gxk98efr

>modern sensibilities
Is there a more meaningless buzzword?
Low Fantasy Gaming might work for a special snowflake such as yourself.

Why not just jump in the deep end? It's not like it's going to be at all daunting if you go with something like Moldvay Basic. 5e has a reputation for being rules-light by folks more accustomed to its immediate predecessors than old school D&D, but it's over-complicated as fuck compared to Basic.

>modern sensibilities

Just stay in /5eg/.

Stars Without Number Revised. It even has a free version available on Drive Thru RPG.

>modern sensibilities
Just learn a solid OSR game. Stop clinging to 5e.

Is there any guideline on how to convert stuf from DCC? Or is the taint of Goodman's touch unremovable?

In one fell swoop

Depends on what you're trying to convert. Either way it takes as much effort as converting 3e to OSR.

Ok, I have pored through ACKS non-stop, and I cannot find a single thing on how to create my own races. There's plenty of things on how to create custom classes based on an existing race, but nothing on how to create a race from scratch. Has anyone found anything for this?

SWN Revised isn't OSR. Get out.

It's not me, I've read through and fell in love with OSR, It's my players

Are you guys always this hostile to newcomers?

How are we hostile when the way you word your initial post sounds exactly like bait?

ACKS. It's got "Proficiencies" that are similar to feats, and plenty of character customization. It adapts itself well to the good parts of 5e as well. Rules for character morality are vague enough that you can replace most of it with the 5e stuff, like Paladin Oaths, or the 5e version of Detect Good and Evil. You can even throw in Advantage/Disadvantage if you want.

How does it sound like bait? I'm looking for a game for newcomers

I'm sorry, I didn't know that's what constitutes bait

Are Save or Die traps gay?

No, the general is a containment unit full of shitposters now.

I don't what the fuck happened, but then I was absent for half a year.

Look, every general has its trolls, because of Tribalism in the modern internet, so somebody has to hate what we're doing. In this case it's people who come in and suggest that 5e is OSR, or is better than OSR.

There's a cadre of shitposters here, unfortunately. Some are just plain assholes, and some are so locked in their bubble that they can't understand that someone curious about OSR play obviously wouldn't instinctively know all the OSR shibboleths. In your case, the use of "modern sensibilities" triggered them, because it's often shorthand for "everything not OSR".

Word your request more specifically (i.e. what do you mean by "modern sensibilities") and I'll see what I can do to help you out.

>waaaahh you guys are too hostile ;___;

Yeah, go back to Tumblr. You can't handle OSR.

You can fuck off with him as well. You're just upset that we don't allow off-topic discussion like 2e.

>Are you guys always this hostile to newcomers?
Not *this* hostile, but you have to remember than the OSR movement picked up steam as a reaction against modern D&D, so the idea of inserting modern sensibilities into OSR can strike folks as nigh heretical. Just ignore the knee-jerk hostility and focus on the folks who actually engage you.

>It's not me
>It's my players
So what, specifically, is the obstacle there? What issue do you think they'd have with OSR games? Because "modern sensibilities" is pretty broad and pretty vague.

>spoonfeeding

No wonder this general has sunk.

I wasn't suggesting either, I was literally just asking for a game that is somewhat similar to the OSR style, not that it was any better

Sorry, I should have been much more specific, clearly

I guess the the things that would help "ease" my players in:

- Ascending AC
- Not as lethal (not dying in one hit to a goblin)
- Simple mechanics to handle situations (ability rolls, advantage/disadvantage)

Besides that I'm looking for everything else to be OSR, dungeon crawling, resource management, avoiding fights, and GP=XP

I was just calling you an asshole

Cry some more

You're not an authority on allowing anything, applesponge.

You want to reduce the lethality of the game, which is one of the cornerstones of OSR. You're the crybaby and you should neck yourself.

Amazing, user. Uploaded Lairs & Encounters, Sinister Stone of Sakkara, Guns of War, and Axioms issue 1; all of them for ACKS.

Modern gaming has its good points, and this general would do well to acknowledge its successes rather than arbitrarily declaring new to be synonymous with bad. It's classic Nietzschean ressentiment.

>I don't what the fuck happened
/osrg/ was pretty chill and reasonable until recently, actually. I'm not entirely convinced it isn't the work of just one or two vocal douchebags who have riled other folks up.

People who aren't interested in OSR but wanted to discuss their fellow niche games that can't sustain its own thread decided /osrg/ was the perfect place to pitch up camp.

>Modern gaming has its good points

lol

>I'm not entirely convinced it isn't the work of just one or two vocal douchebags who have riled other folks up

It is, all the shitposts are in such a similar style.

No, the previous poster is correct. OSR general used to be much more mellow, and discussed a wide variety of games. It was even accepted that other, unrelated but old games like Traveller or Runequest were OK to discuss here.

My honest suggestion is to take LL or S&W Complete and houserule some kind of Bleed-Out/Hovering at Death's Door rule. Perhaps start at level 3, which adds both health and nice power.

Another great system for OSR is ACKS, particularly if you're into domain-level play and wars. Regardless it has some great shit most people tend to gloss over, including but not limited to: necromancy rules (for turning yourself into a lich), magical crossbreeding, magical research, +damage bonus for fighters, cleave rules.

Daily reminder that Gygax's games were wayy less lethal than the typical OSR game.

>Ascending AC
Basic Fantasy and Swords & Wizardry, among others, do this. But it's easy as shit to convert from descending to ascending AC. Just subtract descending AC from 20 to get ascending AC, and subtract THAC0 from 20 to get attack bonus (or just refer to this table). It actually doesn't have to be 20 -- as long as you subtract them both from the same number -- but 20 gets you a base attack bonus of 0, and an unarmored AC of 10 or 11.

>Daily reminder that Gygax's games were wayy less lethal than the typical OSR game.

We've already established that Gygax was a FOE though

OSRG should be renamed to Old School RPG General instead.
The dude saying OSR = B/X compatible is right, but DCC/Traveller/Runequest should be valid for discussion in this thread.

Nice argument from authority. Gygax was brilliant but even he had his flaws. Plus he at least had the necessary lethal instinct within him, even if he didn't act on it as much. Do remember he made Tomb of Horrors.

>unrelated but old games like Traveller or Runequest were OK to discuss here.
That's the point, you gave them an inch and they took a mile, now they want to discuss DitD and SotDL. What your seeing is a natural reaction again that.

Copper standard. Unfortunately, it does make it so that converting modules is much more difficult.

>dagger d4
>longsword d6
>greatsword d8
Anything wrong with this?
What about fighter with d10 hit die instead of d8?
What about roll twice take best for 1st level hit die?

Runequest is completely different from what is commonly understood as OSR.

Making the subject matter too broad would be disastrous for the thread.

No. Make your own god damn general. We don't want you here.

>The dude saying OSR = B/X compatible is right,

But he's not. OSR is used much more broadly than that outside this general.

We already had someone last thread who implied 3e was okay to talk about here because it extended from AD&D. This is what happens when you don't police a community.

hello, newfag

>OSRG should be renamed to Old School RPG General instead.

Oh, absolutely not. Keep this as a containment thread, make an actual Old School RPG general seperately

As far as I've ever seen, it's the gatekeeping pedants that are behind the derailing.

There's been some high intensity trolling and shit posting for a few weeks at this point. Everyone's pretty burnt out and ready to jump at their own shadow.

Also helps to define your terms a bit. Modern sensibilities is vague enough and there are enough different tribes of osr that its not a meaningful term without more context.

>Not as lethal (not dying in one hit to a goblin)
Old school D&D is easy as fuck to tweak, and any DM worth his own weight does so. If the game you're playing has people dying at 0 hit points, you can change that to -level hit points, or -10 hit points, or whatever. Additionally, you can make it so reaching that threshold doesn't automatically result in death. Maybe you get a roll to avoid it, or maybe it's an automatic coma with no chance of death (though this is a tad extreme, in my opinion). See pic.

>more difficult
How? Either multiply gold values by 100 and make XP requirements 100 times higher, or make copper the same value as gold.

For Fighter I just prefer roll 1-2, so they can (hopefully) at least take a hit

The damage seems fine, though it does take away from the cleric not being able to use edged weapons, it doesn't matter much if the mace does the same amount of damage, and if the mace does a d4 then clerics get that much shittier

>OSR is used much more broadly than that outside this general.
No it fucking isn't, even Zak was talking about OSR losing its identity because newfags are calling anything and everything OSR. Mother fucking Zak thinks we've gone to far.

>I'll police it with my mean words, that'll stop an anonymous message board!
lol

BFRPG has ascending AC. Fantastic Heroes & Witchery and Swords & Wizardry each do both ascending and descending. There's several others, but I can't think of them offhand. it's a common request.

Task Management: Again, often bypassed, as it can have unpleasant knock-on effects if not carefully considered and integrated into the system. DCC uses the 3rd ed DC system, so that would work. But it doesn't meet the other goals.

Lethality. Few games really do much with this directly: it's considered a hallmark of the OSR style. Also, there's lots of house-rule-ways to adjust this, so people often do it that way rather than trying to bake it directly into the main rules. One is for characters to start at level 2 or 3. Another is allowing max hit points at first level, or re-rolling all your hit points every time you go up a level and keeping the new result if it's higher. Another is using the retainer rules so that you have a mob of NPCs watching your back. A big one is scaling the session you're running to the player group: many old-school modules are made for 6-10 players, and so you'll need to weaken them for groups of 3-5.

There's no one system out there in the wild that's well known and does all of what you're asking. Truthfully, I feel my own retroclone would meet your goals, but maybe hunt around a bit and see if you can find something you like that's out in the wild first because I might have missed one, and if not, come back and check in again.

>Either way it takes as much effort as converting 3e to OSR.
Actually, on that note, as the person who a while back tried to convert a DCC monster to OSR...

Two days ago, I tried to convert a 3e monster to OSR. I flipped open a random monster manual (in this case, MM5) to a random page and tried to convert it.

I couldn't even figure out where to start.

I can conclusively say that, while the rules of DCC are funky and weird, it is much, much easier to convert from DCC to OSR than 3e to OSR in my experience.

>What about roll twice take best for 1st level hit die?
It works well for making new players comfortable with a highly lethal system, and it's not an unreasonable thing to do if a GM wants.

Oh so Zak is the king of OSR now is he? He communes with the platonic form of OSR does he?

>Simple mechanics to handle situations (ability rolls, advantage/disadvantage)
Stick with the Basic family if you want a more streamlined system in general. But your bigger issue is going to be not having official rules to address many situations than having rules that are too complicated. Just default to an attribute check in such situations and you'll be fine (depending on how important you want attributes to be, you can make this a straight-out roll vs. somebody's attribute score, or simply use their modifiers on a check).

DCC is literally a 3e homebrew senpai.

Really? What did you find in raw 3e that was so different/difficult comapred to starting with a DCC monster?

Tell me. Which games exactly would you prefer discussing here that you can't discuss in a different thread?

Way to miss the point newfag, Zak was originally the person pushing OSR to expand its horizens.

What do you turn a silver amulet worth 1g into? Obviously something worth 1c, but what? And moreover, is it actually worth it? You basically need to have a good knowledge of trade goods and materials and such.

I want to REDUCE lethality, not completely remove it, I understand how important it is to OSR style. I don't want three death rolls or anything, you need a bulldozer to kill you at that point

I'll check out the systems you guys recommended, thank you very much.

Myfarog and Kriegsspiel

Someone mentioned S&W Continuous Light being in there, but it doesn't seem to be the case

>What do you turn a silver amulet worth 1g into? Obviously something worth 1c, but what?
Let me clarify. Make the silver amulet be worth 100 copper pieces and multiply all XP requirements for leveling by 100.
The necklace would be worth 100c.

Runequest, Fighting Fantasy, Myfarog, Gamma world

DCC has hit dice that are roughly comparable to OSR hit dice.

3e does not. 3e has a complete disconnect between how many HD a character should have and how many something they fight should have. And it's not especially consistent of a disconnect. Dragons, I'm looking at you.

Thanks, my man.

>three fucking paragraphs and some blogpost shit
The epitome of everything wrong with nu-OSR

>I couldn't even figure out where to start.
PDF related. You might be retarded.

>supplements that add some old school shit
>supplements
>add
>oldschool shit
No, user, your best bet is to REMOVE REMOVE REMOVE - not add - if you want to go towards the OSR gaming.
Having said that, try World of Dungeons onesevendesign.com/dw/world_of_dungeons_1979_bw.pdf

Fat old men stop being OSR when they stop having necks.

Any particular reason you're reducing damage from the standard:
dagger d4
short sword d6
longsword d8
two-handed sword d10
?

>What about fighter with d10 hit die instead of d8?
Like in AD&D?

>What about roll twice take best for 1st level hit die?
This is very commonly done. It's not uncommon to just max hit points at 1st level (that's not just a modern thing), or to have a minimum roll (maybe half your max: so a d8 hit dice would have a minimum roll of 4).

>small weapon d4 (dagger)
>one-handed weapon d6 (shortsword, or longsword used one-handed)
>one-handed weapon used two handed d8 (longsword used two handed)
>large weapons d10 (greatsword)

Take full HD at 1st level. Each level reroll all HD, if beter take the new number, if worse add +1HP.
Guarantees that the fighter will have the best HP, avoids 1st level characters exploding after tripping over a rock, yet hampers long-term HP gain.

However d10 fighter HD is FOEism

Punk is dad. Zak's just a bro with a different coloured haircut who's got comfortable and feels threatened by new things that aren't him. Its pretty normal for the slightly alt white dude scene.

>Fat old men

warning
warning

It doesn't fucking matter. I just want you to stop pretending like you've solved the philosophy of language.

I've probably been here longer than you, and that doesn't fucking matter because OSR did expand beyond that. This recent contraction is a new development. OSR included plenty of games that aren't strictly B/X compatible.

That's one way of doing it, but that gets rid of the part I like about the copper standard, which is that it's difficult to afford anything for quite some time.

So uh, when's S&W continual light getting uploaded

>posts a conversion from 2e to 3e
>when I'm trying to convert 3e to OSR
>calls me retarded
whatdidhemeanbythis.jpg

I would just put fewer treasures in the dungeon if I were you. Make them work for every silver coin and make their eyes shine with greed when they look at a few gold pieces.
A single handful of platinum pieces should start at least one fight between players that way.

When somebody interested in it gets it, I suppose. Might as well be yourself.

I should note that I don't clean stuff or anything, just wanted to consolidate some OSR-related things missing from the trove. So if you do have a new PDF to share, hit up Da Archive thread.

I really think it's not worth the effort to convert 3e to OSR. It's difficult enough trying to convert 5e to OSR, and that has less fiddly rules than 3e.

NAYRT, but, uh... if you can convert from A to B.... you surely can do the reverse?
And 2e is basically 1e which is basically B/X?

Greentext all you want, you cannot deny that it actually works. That's why no one tries talking about 3e here. Because they get harsh responses. We've been slipping on this for other non-OSR systems, and now we're paying for it. This general was more mellow because people kept discussion mostly within the confines of OSR, but now people are pushing their luck and they need to be put in their place.

You just don't fucking get it do you? Tampering with lethality AT ALL is missing the point of OSR.

>You just don't fucking get it do you? Tampering with lethality AT ALL is missing the point of OSR.
This is not true. Shut the fuck up.

If a GM wants to let players roll 2 HD and take the better result, that's fine. It's also fine to let them have max HD at 1st level, but it should be discouraged for groups that are experienced with high-lethality games.

>he doesn't know that 2e is mechanically compatible with 1e, which is compatible with B/X, etc.
>he doesn't know how to reverse equations

Carry on after me, user.

I meant, rolling 2 HD and taking the better result only at first level.

It might be better just to play around with equipment prices (and maybe use a silver standard so that coins aren't worthless as fast).

It's totally not, don't get me wrong. Honestly if there's a cool 3e monster you like I'd just make up entirely new stats, it'd be much easier that way.

3e is massively fiddly and has dozens of weird stat-based subsystems that you have to check and make sure that they don't affect anything if you try to convert it.

The balance is also wacky in 3e since, well, it's designed for 3e. Flipping the armour class works fine for converting into 3e, but... Is it really reasonable to have a monster with a -12 AC in OSR? Really? Really?

Which spell-likes and other abilities are important to keep around? Which do you need to toss?

Do you use CR or HD for HD? Even though some creatures have massive amounts of HD? Or CRs that are higher than the max level?

&c., &c.

>Tampering with lethality AT ALL is missing the point of OSR.
So how much lethality is the right amount, according to you?
Because if three characters die every ten feet, it gets to the point that it becomes absolutely ridiculous and stops motivating the players to get treasure, adventure, and have fun and instead leads to autistic ten foot pole poking for hours and not interacting with the fun things in the dungeon.
Call me a FOE but I'd rather have my player get to level 2 sometime, then get his leg broken in the third level of the dungeon and have the party stress over how the fuck they're going to get him out of there rather than just have them loot him while he's still alive because he's expendable.

It's fine...as long as the GM understands he's not playing OSR. OSR is about dealing with gritty circumstances brought about by luck, with your own skill.

The right amount is pretty obvious. Drop to 0 HP, you die. That's it. If three characters die every ten feet, you're either dealing with a killer GM or a shitty party. But yes, you are a FOE, and you need to go to a more suitable general like /pgg/ or /5eg/.

>It's fine...as long as the GM understands he's not playing OSR. OSR is about dealing with gritty circumstances brought about by luck, with your own skill.
Damn, in that case you must really have hated the fact that Gary Gygax's own houserules allowed players to begin play at 3rd level, right?