>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/
Tell me about your BBEG, what do your characters know of him before they fight him?

Other urls found in this thread:

themonstersknow.com
youtube.com/watch?v=xdWpL-gCJJQ
youtube.com/watch?v=WZNt9p4LWeA
m.youtube.com/watch?v=aC4H7o53Ng4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Spontaneous casters are more fun than prepared casters

I respectfully disagree. There is a sense of commitment in playing a prepared caster and you have to think better which spells you will actually need.

Don't really have.

The Taro - Race of higher dimensional beings that tried to create a slave race but failed (elves, dwarves, gnomes and halflings), so are now pretending to be gods of humanity in order to amass fodder for a planar war.

Omun: Religious monk out to kill mages and block magic from the world.

Lady Amelia: Once a powerful mage, now twisted by the magic of the void, attempting to spread the void

Marrik: War profiteer asshole businessman that is just trying to keep a war going to sell more airships and magical items.

There's an even bigger sense of commitment to a spontaneous caster though desu since you have to commit HARD to what you choose on level up and have extremely few opportunities to swap. Better choose wisely nigga.

Okay so the Abyss from that one japanese mango, huh. Well, you probably don't need to map out the first two levels, but even then it's good to have a good idea of the hub's general layout
>Fortifications, nearby farms, sources of water, merchant district, whatever the official ruler surrounds his HQ with (e.g. noble neighborhood), slums, ghettos, industrial districts for the trading hub's main exports, major places of worship, etc.
As far as I know, your players don't care about this stuff most of the time. Figuring out the details of a city is a way for you, the DM, to come up with cool ideas for encounters, set pieces, descriptions and plot points.

The third level has got to be some kind of catacombs, tunnels, or ruins from a previous city, maybe. You've got lots of potential dungeon structures here. You say the dungeon branches out into an underground city, a cavern, a path to the Underdark, a bigass monster's lair, and a flooded section. So we can infer a bunch of monsters already.

>CAVE and UNDERDANK: A variety of random Monstrosities and Beasts
>UNDERDANK-specific: Mind flayers, drow, myconids, duergar, all that jazz
>LICH CITY: The traditional undead roster, I probably don't need to list this here
>BIG BAD LAIR minions, pets, slaves, allies and charmed creatures
>In the case of a BEHOLDER: Some humanoid slaves, gas spores, other aberrations, lesser beholders (and if you want to get creative: nothics, golems, oozes...)
>In the case of a DRAGON: Kobolds, various humanoid slaves, cultists (and again, more out-there ideas: elementals related to dragon's color, mimics, living gem-encrusted weapons...)
>SPLASH MOUNTAIN OF DEATH: Probably kuo-toa, but hezrou coming out of a hellish rift deeper into the abyss would be kickass too.

Those monsters aren't staying in their homes. They're hunting, scavenging, being chased off, scouting or expanding their territory into the Main Dungeon. That's already a fuckload of potential encounters.

Will we ever be truly free from Shad? I'm scared friends.

Also predictions for new UA?

Well, that is more determined by your build, not having to access the current situation in the party and prospect what might await you ahead, dont you agree?

Raven Queen.

An already powerful male cultist who was blessed by an Archdevil to protect two young ladies, with the goal of one day fully bringing that Archdevil to the Material Plane to jump-start a new world order where their kind can finally get the power and respect they rightfully deserve.

The party knows he has 4 legendary actions, is ridiculously powerful, and can stop their healing and reviving magic while within range of him.

Systems for making Camp Watch more involved and exciting!

Rations though I'd un-ironically love it if they did a food system to expand upon the goldmine that was gourmand.

A summary of the alien worlds of D&D, and the monsters that are native to them.

You have to assess every possible situation you may encounter in the foreseeable future and try and try and account for a wide range of possibilities with a very limited set of tools, you have to prospect what awaits you far more than a prepared caster simply because they have more options than you, you can't afford to be too flexible lest you spread yourself too thin while trying to account for everything. It also forces creativity on you since to try and find outside the box solutions to situations by using spells in ways they weren't meant for but could still be applicable.

>You have to assess every possible situation you may encounter in the foreseeable future and try and try and account for a wide range of possibilities with a very limited set of tools
>You can't afford to be too flexible lest you spread yourself too thin while trying to account for everything. It also forces creativity on you since to try and find outside the box solutions to situations by using [things] in ways they weren't meant for but could still be applicable.

...So playing a spontaneous caster is almost exactly like DMing?

Aside from the DM not having limited tools yeah actually.

DEX Sorcadin or STR Sorcadin

No

I like Dex Sorcadins better, especially with Draconic Ancestry. Makes you really MAD though.

>another non-combat session that turns out to be the best of the campaign so far
Fuckin love it when this happens, we had a good time

>starting a new campaign
>literally every PC is a human
feels good

>another non-combat session
>I have shit cha so I'm at the mercy of the other players

Need help picking between Conjuration and Evocation specialty wizards. Basically it comes down to fun tactics and I found one that might be kinda cool, it involves summoning as many mephits as possible, having them swarm the enemies and use their spells to distract or pester while launching AoE spells that they're immune to. Then, when the Mephits start dropping off or get low HP I blast them with an AoE they are susceptible to, they blow up and add on more damage. With conjuration I get the ability to teleport around if some foes wanna get up in my grill and will never drop concentration on conjuration spells. With evocation I can cast AoE's with impunity even with my group in the thick of it and get extra damage which is always nice. Therefore, with that one tactic is it more important to maintain the conjuration spell or to blast as hard and as effectively as possible? In addition any other cool wizard tactics you've used using spells only would be awesome to hear.

Alright 5eg

Separate the classes into
"Short Rest Class" "Either" or "Long Rest Class"

UA49_Shad:The_Base,_The_Man,_The_Legend.pdf

You can always come up with your own ideas and get the faces to talk for you. Just like how real life people or companies have spokespeople to talk for them.

I’m a barbarian who dumped CHA and I had a lot of influence because I made sure to make him have a background and a few mechanics to be really good at a select activity that’s widely applicable. Play a character, not just your stats!

>long rest classes
anything with spell slots except warlock
barbarian

>short rest classes
fighter
monk
warlock

Rogues don't rely on rests for anything but health.

I think we can all agree that Retired Adventurer is the best background for low-Charisma characters. Just look at the later Rocky movies and tell me he's anything but a retired adventurer.

He basically ended the Cold War with by sperging out after Ivan Drago beat him retarded.

>protect two young ladies
>their kind can finally get the power and respect they rightfully deserve.
Elaborate. What do you mean by "their kind"?

is Marrik a goblin by chance?

My Cleric 13 just died unfortunately so I am forced to make a new character. However, I rolled the stats of a King (17 16 14 14 12 11 before racial/asi) so thats why I'm debating DEX Sorcadin. I'm probably taking Divine Soul instead of Draconic because I really like a lot of Cleric spells, and the party needs all the bonus to healing we can get. Oath of Ancients for that superb aura.

So with High Elf I'm looking at 18/18 in CHA/DEX, with Studded Leather (12+DEX) that's 18 with a shield. Means my weapons are looking like Rapier/Longbow.

>Not The Curse of Shad

I'd be lying I said you didn't peg me on that first bit

for now I mostly just have to build and fill the third level bc low level party. If they get curious I can just ward them off with a big threat. I'm just unsure how to do these things, I've only DM'd like once before and that was years ago.

Next I'm going to assume the scale of the underground is, at most, four times the size of the trade hub city. I'm going to continue (maybe tomorrow since it's late here) but I'll need more information on your dungeon. Namely what each area looks like and what important sub-areas can be found there.

>Paladin 4
>Bump CHA to 20
>Sorc 4
>Medium Armour Master

>dusty remains of a shadow demon
>vial of demonic blood
>Marijuana
>dip the weed in the blood then sprinkle demon dust on it
>party smokes it
>dm makes us roll saving throws
>20 15 0
>20 passes out
>15 has a raving nightmare about demons trotting across the ceiling
>0 takes 6 psychic damage and clocks out
All in all I think things turned out OK

I want it. I also want this to be the cover.

Oh wait you need War Caster, nevermind.

DUDE

Wouldn't only battlemaster fighter belong to short rest?

action surge comes back on a short rest

Is there a method for scaling monsters to make them more challenging?

My party just killed the lieutenant of the BBEG and only took 6 damage total.

He was a CR 9, they are a level 4 party. They defeated him by using Hold Person and then kicking the shit out of him.

Do you have any custom spells, user? My Wizard created this 3rd level spell.

You create a superheated bolt of steam and propel it at one creature you can see. Make a ranged spell attack roll against that creature. If it hits, the bolt does fire damage and the creature must make a successful Dexterity saving throw or drop whatever it is holding.

Doesn't have any higher scaling, though.

Well if they faced him solo, then next time give your big baddies more bad guys with them. A party of PCs vs one bad guy typically gives the party an advantage because they take more moves.

Attaching legendary resistances/actions to preexisting monsters is pretty easy and makes solo fights much more tenable.

Don't have them fight single monsters at a time.

Stuff like legendary resistances would be a bit steep for a level 4 party to deal with, probably. Unless it was a fight they were never intended to win.

Make your enemies less of pussies?
Monsters have abilities. Use them to their advantage.
Monsters also come in packs. This stops most forms of single target cheese.
Not using legendary resistance on a boss. I don't know what to tell you other than use it.

Ah yes, Pathfinder, truly the patrician taste of tabletop systems, i don't even know why you people bother wasting time oin such a lowly system like 5E desu

>Young scion of a recently ascended noble house who wants to live up to father's heroic legacy
Sound like a good reason to take the Knight backstory?

No, but only because we're getting raven queen fluff in Tome of Foes

Yeah that's about right, probably smaller. I made a rough vertical map If you'd want to see it but that's subject to change. I'm thinking about being an frothy bitch and saying "Sometimes rooms and things change down here bc magic" or something.

Level 3 is definitely gonna be ruins that explorers most often search for treasures and valuables. Would it be dumb to add in a thing where every so often parts of the dungeon cycle and repopulate with loot?

I'm Main and Sub levels of Level 3 are basically what every faction fights for bc loot so it'll be the source of a lot of conflict. Definitely want a big fight room with a boss I haven't figured out yet, perhaps a greedy wizard.

There's also gonna be an eldritch cult releasing scary abominations into upper levels but I can't decide if I'm gonna put them in the outskirts of level 3 or a little ways into the Underdark.

Was this enough information or was I too nonspecific?

that's not official art is it?

>commitment
>thinking
>fun
Please...

How many times a day should I allow each of my players to use a special ability they've come up with? I know they're kind of cancer but this is FUN

>The ability to teleport to a thrown weapon as long as it's within 50 feet, using the players movement action
>Any time the player does Poison Damage, forces a Con save based on the players Spellsave level or the affected enemy is poisoned
>If the player does three times the CR of an enemy creature in damage to that creature, the player is allowed to steal an ability from them for 1 hour until either the creature is dead, or the creature does the same amount back to the player
>An Arcane Focus that whenever the player does Lighting or Thunder damage, will allow for another damage roll that does the damage type not done (Ie if Lighting damage, it gives a roll for Thunder damage or if Thunder damage is done, it gives a roll for Lighting Damage)

Optimize their tactics: themonstersknow.com

Don't play them alone OR give them multiple turns (legendary actions, etc.) and let them ignore turn-skipping stuff.

Play them more creative. Like they're temporary PCs. If the monster has darkvision and most of the party obviously doesn't, the monster is going to get rid of the light source (disarm the torch-wielder, knock the brazier off, smother the fire); everything is fair. Use actions your PCs have already attempted or be ready to take notes in case you rule something on the fly.

So who stole the goods my players decided to hide because the caravan didn't have enough horses left after the attack to take everything in one trip?

The two young ladies (Two Human sisters) lived a life of thievery, desperation, and follow the ideal of "The strong will survive, the weak will perish." They also have a deep superiority complex and revel in being above others, with the only person they fully trust is each other and the knight. (They are trying to be better with their underlings.)

The world they live in does not take kindly to this viewpoint, so they want to bring in a power that both will make that viewpoint the norm and (hopefully as a reward) grant them control over some of the world when it gets here.

If you want stats on these two: one is an Assassin/Conquest Paladin the other is an Arcane Trickster/Shadow Sorcerer. They work well together.

>Any time the player does Poison Damage, forces a Con save based on the players Spellsave level or the affected enemy is poisoned
Retarded, once per day.
>If the player does three times the CR of an enemy creature in damage to that creature, the player is allowed to steal an ability from them for 1 hour until either the creature is dead, or the creature does the same amount back to the player
Do not allow this at all, it's broken. 3xCR is nothing. Guy could hit a ghost for a whopping 15 damage and obtain the ability to possess people.

children

>give them multiple turns (legendary actions, etc.) and let them ignore turn-skipping stuff.

>Get a little sand timer from a board game, or an egg timer
>If the latter, set it to a minute and a half
>Whenever it runs out of sand or rings or whatever, it's the monster's turn next, no matter what the initiative says

Have you ever ran/been part of a 5e campaign set in a modern setting? I have always been tempted to try it but it seems like I would need to luck out with a GM who put a lot of effort into converting things. You could probably get away with just reskinning a lot of things like weapons, but still.

There is some stuff on 5e tools, but nah.

How do you cast lightning bolt in a forest without burning it down? I have a wand of lightning bolts, but I worry about getting in trouble with the locals.

pesky youths
what are they playing at

The Hunger Games

No, because I take the hint and find a different game because I'm the only odd man out.

Why is Deathwing in that picture?

Is it a better idea for an Oathbreaker to prioritize building Charisma over Strength because they receive a melee damage bonus from it?

Nah, all are human besides besides the Taro which are actually constructs.

My version of Marrik is a Rakshasa that I voice as hedonism bot. He is also the player's favorite and they unironically have pledged themselves to him. It is freaking great.

Strength is still your to hit. A charisma build could work well, it'd improve your spellcasting and face skills, but I wouldn't leave strength below 18.

Just dip hexblade xddddd

That actually sounds pretty cool.

>try and create a setting
>realize I just end up creating warhammer fantasy with all the elements of 40k that I like ported into the fantasy setting with aldmeri dominion evil high elves
How do I avoid being a a hack?

Does your character have a theme song?

It's simple really. Lightning bolt the locals.

>How do I avoid being a a hack?
Literally impossible. Just embrace it and rip off things you like to create the perfect setting.

Is there a good background for an exiled noble besides Noble or SCAG Far Wanderer?

GOOlock coming through
youtube.com/watch?v=xdWpL-gCJJQ

Yes! "It's Everyday Bro" by my hero, Logan Paul.

What's some good ideas of a twist for the typical 'necromancer moved in to the town which the party left massacred and is just having a field day'?

I know the decision between Strength and Charisma is generally if the Paladin wants to favor offense or their support abilities (with their auras and spells). I figured the division was more in Charisma's favor for Oathbreakers because they still get melee damage from Charisma, as well. I'd be missing out on a bit of accuracy, but I don't think it'd be a huge deal since I'm just going sword-and-board dueling and don't have to worry about GWM or whatever.

The situation I'm in is with 16 Strength and 14 Charisma, because my race had a bonus to Strength. I'm unsure if I should just bump Charisma to 16 or work on Strength for my first ASI. I kind of like the idea of going with Charisma because I'd enjoy being a bit more support-y, but I'm unsure if that's a good decision.

Have you ever had a female BBEG? Who was she?

Urchin if he didn't bring any money, Charlatan if he gets more money. Really, a lot of things could work.

Tabaxi Samurai
youtube.com/watch?v=WZNt9p4LWeA

The necromancer is actually the mayor, who is actually an exiled mind flayer, who is actually a puppet of a scheming beholder

It's not a bad decision. It's pretty hard to make a bad paladin.

Charlatan Diviner Wizard.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=aC4H7o53Ng4

>Teleport within 50 feet of weapon instead of movement
Sounds okay. Like a buffed up Misty Step. I'd say once per long rest to be on the safe side but honestly you can likely get away with short rest.

>Poison damage gives Poisoned condition
Ray of Sickness does this. However, it's fairly easy to deal Poison damage, for example by simply poisoning your blade. Probably long rest for this one.

>Steal ability
You could pull off some HUGE game-breaking bullshit with this one. It's somewhere between Polymorph and True Polymorph. Make it one-use only: You can steal one ability once and use it once, after which you lose this power/item forever.

>Arcane focus
If it's always active and the extra damage is like, 1d4, then sure. Otherwise you're giving the character double damage i.e. free critical hits. Make it once per long rest.

I don't want to kill those people though. I just want to protect them from the hordes of Zombies in the forest...

DMs do you allow players to roll non-evil characters from evil-aligned races? Is neutral as far as you are willing to push it, or do you let them go full good if they wanted to?

succubus who impersonated the wife of the land's king and turned him into a willing warlock when he found out
he's the face of evil but she controls everything he does through the patronage and mad pussy game

Dming LMOP
Sorcerer got staff od Defence
Ranger got Talon (+1 sword that lets you deal proficiency bonus in damage as a reaction if you're hit by an attack within 5ft of you.)
What can paladin get?

The necromancer raises the corpses as undead, then uses illusions to disguise them all as perfectly normal looking folks and make the village look like it's been repaired.

Shoot your enemies with iron crossbow bolts first, then aim at the bolts for a sweet lightning rod effect. (Note: I am not a physicist and I don't even know if this would work in real life.)
Or uuuh just aim at their swords if they're made of iron.

To add the forest is super dry as it has not rained in the location in a long time.

So.. am I out of options? I can fly if that helps.

Why not? That's merchant/mercenaries otherwise that's a bystander who isn't directly affected by the actions of the party

What /spooky/ instruments could my necromancer bard use?

Yes, because objectively evil races are lame. I don't care if it goes against the lore, the lore is just shit so I'll change it. The players do have to explain why they're not evil, and I make sure that NPCs have different expectations/stereotypes about them.