EDH/Commander General

Spooky Edition

The last thread

RESOURCES
>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question
What's your most controversial edh/mtg opinion?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/tymnaravos-cleric-tribal-2/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

my personal is I actually liked iconic masters

>What's your most controversial edh/mtg opinion?

tribals are boring and gay and i will think less of you if you play one

What's your most controversial edh/mtg opinion?

dunno if this is controversial but I love the partner mechanic and want it to a continued mechanic so long as UG doesn't get anymore busted ones.

also this

Fuck me, I can't decide what deck I want to build
I have 2 decks, a pretty normal Karador dredge deck and a janky Gay Kings deck that rarely wins. I want a deck that's:
-Not very linear (so no voltron or combo)
-Has plenty of interaction, ideally with political cards like Fortunate Few
-Doesn't have the same colors as Karador or K&T
I'm thinking about Patron of the Moon, Bant enchantress/pillow fort, mono-black aristocrats... but I'm open to just about anything. Any suggestions?

Yeah tribal shit gets old really fast, I don't see how some people can play it for so long. I like my decks to just be swiss army knives in terms of wincons.

Rakdos Bitchcraft

At least in my playgroup, apparently I'm the only one who thinks its fine to run more than 4 counterpsells in a deck. Out of the like 10-12 people I regularly play with, I'm the only person who has anything close to what could be considered a control deck.

Seems legit. Does red add a lot to aristocrats decks?

>Thread Question
Apparently it's controversial to think mass land destruction should be a staple part of every meta to deal with hard ramping decks like Omnath or Azusa. I always hear "I don't mind it if it ends the game" but that sounds like you mind it to me.

Has anyone here had much success with Gift of Immortality?

>can protect my commander
>sun titan can bring it back
>sac outlets and an etb creature seem awesome with it

>thread question
i think cards made specifically for commander homogenize the format and makes card selection boring...also mld/chaos/group hug decks are fine and ppl who play "goodstuff" for the sake that its good are faggots and cedh are completly missing the point of edh

Could BG demons work? I want to take apart my mono black deck to make a kambal deck so I would have to cut mist of the big demons demons. Rakdos lord of riots is my other option but i want to save my black draw power cards for kambal so splashing green for ramp and some card draw enchantments/creatures seems like it could work

>I don't mind it if it ends the game
Yeah, I don't understand that mindset. Either you're ok with it or you're not. The whole "you can only use it in certain circumstances" thing is super retarded.

For the record I dislike mld, but don't allow it and then put stipulations on it.

not really unless you count Stranglehold + Malaren

>to deal with hard ramping decks like Omnath or Azusa
Aren't those decks actually best suited to recover from mass land destruction?

>thread question
Stax is both fun and challenging. Combo isn't bad as long as it's swift. Even tutoring the same combo every game is entertaining because it is easily prevented with dedicated hate. Grislebrand should be unbanned, sol ring is fine. Also, as much as I have one, Mana crypt should be reprinted and accessible to every player.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/tymnaravos-cleric-tribal-2/

Cleric Tribal user is back. I'm really liking how well the list is gelling with the changes, but I still feel it's a little light on creature removal.

What could I axe for more kill spells?

Yeah, that's the thing I don't get about people advocating for MLD to keep ramp decks in check. It screws over the rest of the table more than the green decks looking to ramp hard. Azusa in particular runs a high land count so they're more likely to hit their land drops following MLD than anyone else at the table. All it does is reset the board in favor of the ramp players.

t. former Angry Borb player

Great card in my Saffi deck, but that's what the deck is build around anyway. Lots of sac and recursion effects. Gift of Immortality puts in work though. I wish I had more good sac outlets.

Also tribal decks are lazy 90% of the time. I get it you have a bunch of zombies; it's the same carbon copy deck every time

>they're ahead in lands so a spell that resets the land count helps them

Jesus christ this board is retarded. You don't pull lands out of nowhere. You have to spend cards and mana to get extra lands out.

I dont understand why mld is so frowned upon. If you run a mono white deck and you run Armageddon or Ruination on a mono red deck then yeah it makes perfect sense to me to play them to your advantage. I am not okay if your deck is based around that though. i'll simply stop playing with you.

>ramp decks will just stop ramping
Yeah, we're the retarded ones. Omnath stores mana. Why would he give a shit?

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/tymnaravos-cleric-tribal-2/
are you sure you want to play that strategy user? clerics are kind of terrible. this is coming from someone who built a bunch of tribal decks and then realized how boring it was to have the same shitty strategy in all of my decks

I didn't say it helps them, I said they'll still be in a better position, which is true. If you wipe everyone's lands, then it makes sense that the player whose deck is geared more toward getting out extra lands will build up again faster. Of course they won't get them out of nowhere, but they'll still be more likely to get them before anyone else, you blockhead.

You're not resetting the game, though. You're resetting the land count and unless the other players are trash, they probably have more cards in their hand after an Armageddon than the heavily ramping player did. Even if they're more likely to hit land drops afterwards, you're still putting them in a worse position than they were before the game started. It's the correct play.

>they probably have more cards in their hand after an Armageddon than the heavily ramping player did
why
just because they weren't ramping it doesn't mean they were holding back cards

>I dont understand why mld is so frowned upon
It's frowned upon because people use it like retards. People either A) Use it to basically fuck one person out of the game and make them sit there and watch everyone else play, or B) Use it to make the game grind to a halt just like Winter Orb faggots.

MLD is fine as a wincon, but if you just use it to make the game last 5 hours, you're a cunt.

>player ramps heavily
>is able to build a strong board state faster
>"hur dur I'll wipe everyones lands"
>ramped player still has a strong board state while having access to cards to rebuild they're land base quicker
>"but everyone else has more cards in hand that they can't pay for"
Are you retarded?

You could play stuff like Balance or Natural Balance instead of screwing the whole table over. Or just play regular, non-mass land destruction, which incidentally is something that should be played more in general IMO.

My brother traded me all the dank zombie U/B cards, wasn’t sure if I should stick with G&G or make this bitch. My only reasoning is she seems ok and that she’s hot.

zombie jitsu?

Don't talk shit about winter orb, it's a perfectly viable option.

I just pulled Rekindling Phoenix, is it a good card for my purphoros/impact tremors deck?

>My winter orb, rule of law, angelic arbiter, silent arbiter combo.

You win when everyone concedes.

Its easy to understand.I hate MLD if its used the same way some people may use warpworld/great aurora. Turning a 1 hour game into 3+ hours.

Or any lolrandom chaos decks.

Pretty much this. I've only seen one person use Armageddon in a way that furthered his board; instead of casting it like turn six with one creature on the board and forcing everyone basically to reboot the game.

this would be perfect for a gaddock teeg deck i've been putting together. thanks, guy!

That's fantastic

I remember once one of the guys in my lgs who had a deck with a bunch of mld cards armageddoned to lock us out of the game because he thought he had the winning board but forgot I had karmic justice out so I ended blowing up his entire board. he was a good sport about it though so we all laughed. good times.

What's the jankiest commander I can build? I want the weirdest shit you got.

Mairsil is the jank master. Blind seer is also solid for jank

>guy Armageddons with Avacyn out
>I path to exile his Avacyn
>guy calls me a fucking asshole and quits the game

>Thread question
Politics is a fucking crutch, and a lame one at that. Pretty good way to oust yourself as a shit player. Can't win on your own merit? Don't play.

My nigga

>thread questing
MTGO is actually a good place to play multiplayer commander online.

Well that is controversial at least.

I don't know how you arrived there though.

Are you saying that if you have a good enough deck to be archenemy every game, that everyone should just concede to you instead of focusing you down?

Last week a friend of mine was running a monoblue deck that had plenty of mana and card draw on the board, and a grip of like 15 cards. I looked at the last other person in the game and said "yeah, there is no way I can beat that 1v1, team up?"

Are you saying that we should have just conceded instead, since it was very clear that neither of us could have handled that alone?

you definitely should be running Mother of Runes and Grand Abolisher. add more mana ramp and card draw. you need anthem effects as well. obelisk of urd, dictate of heliod, cathars crusade, etc.

i'd cut Daru Spiritualist, Augur Il vec, Ancestor's Prophet, Soltari Priest, and Soltari Monk. I'd take out Reliquary Monk, Kor Sanctifiers, and Soltari Visionary as well given that you have a bunch of destroy enchantment effect already. Plus, if you want more creature removal I'd recommend adding things like Vindicate, Mortify, and Utter End, given that are very flexible and some of the best removal spells of the game.

I also noticed that you have a bunch of life gain and sacrifice effects. definitely run dictate of erebos, and/or gravepact. maybe you want to add some cards that play along that lifegain subtheme that you have like sanguine bond. hope this helps

are you autistic? you MUST play politics in a multiplayer game with competent players, otherwise you are going to get singled out every single time. politics covers a lot of things. being as subtle as slowplaying your cards to appear less of a threat to explicitly making a pact with another player.

>Thread Question
Uhhhh my friends suck at deckbuilding

>At LGS today
>Hear two spergs talk about how top should be banned because it's banned in Legacy for time issues
>time issues
>in EDH
Why do spergs look at the Legacy/Modern banlist and think that everything on them should be banned in EDH? Especially with top which isn't nearly as strong as it is in 60 card non-singleton formats and was banned for time reasons in Legacy.

>Most controversial EDH opninion

Spot removal is more important than that dumb fucking 8 drop you want to play.

So you're the kinda guy who goes to multiplayer games, sits down, and doesn't say anything outside of declaring casts/triggers the whole time, right? Part of the fun of a multiplayer format is the social aspect, and politics are part of that. Why worry about going as tryhard as possible in a casual multiplayer format where nothing is on the line?

why is everyone so pissy about masters 25? are there really that many dumbasses actually buying packs just to crack?

It sucks as an anniversary set, lots of missed opportunities

but lots of hits, too. tons of classic cards. i'll finally be able to get an imperial recruiter without dropping almost $300, and foil ihsan's shade with the new art is gonna be sweet.

>thread question
I strongly dislike tribal.

Also, question for your guys: Because I was too autistic to ever stick with commanders, I've limited myself only to commanders who set in chairs.

I'm onto Oloro, is there anything spicy or a neat way to build him that goes beyond the obvious lifegain bullshit?

I was thinking his natural card draw could make it a good commander for discard.

you never cast oloro, he's just there to keep you alive through your bobs/arenas/etc.

don't build him, he's just a boring generic pillowfort commander

If you build Oloro you're going to be targeted first every single game, no matter what. If you feel comfortable playing archenemy, sure, build Oloro.

Black is not the second best color green is. I don't care if black has the best tutors and second best drawing U/G/x beats out U/B/x.

tuned monoblack beats tuned monogreen 9 times out of 10 though

This is general consensus of about 50% playgroup. Anytime someone tries to get you to do anything, you simply reply "The United States Government does not negotiate with terrorists."

Getting rid of politics ended a lot and salt and butthurt at the table, I recommend any table try and do the same.

>Thread Question
If you don't want people to take very long turrns/extra turns you shouldn't be playing a slow casual format like EDH.

1v1 me with Selvala faggot

How do you choose who you target if not politics, if someone counters your wincon do you focus on them even if they aren't the largest threat or not, there is a lot more to politics in multiplayer than discussion.

i think the definition of "politics" is a little murky.

let's say i pass to the guy on my left and he drops a massive avenger of zendikar but doesn't have a haste enabler. i've got a wrath in hand to save us all, but the next guy in turn order can kill me. is it political to say "don't kill me, i've got a wrath in hand"?

Because retards don't understand why cards are banned in any format and think they know how to balance shit. EDH in general is like trying to fence in a jungle with banning shit which is why it's the MtG equivalent of the "Anything Goes" format for Pokemon.

>ramp harder than you
>draw my deck
>exsanguinate

>implying you can ramp harder than Selvala
Selvala is fucking busted with Umbral Mantle user. If you have some shit like Sisay on the field her and Mantle are practically Paradox Engine.

>kill selvala
>tutor for crypt ghast

Oloro wishes he was Vish Kal. Totally stole the pose.

>replay Selvala with the assload of mana you have because green
>thinking selvala is the only thing in a selvala deck that can ramp

>Thread question
I don't think Boros is that bad.

if both decks have perfect hands, selvala would win before the monoblack deck can get going.

however, what selvala lacks is consistency. if you drop a bunch of mana dorks and rampant growths you're probably going to be in topdeck mode and relying on selvala to draw you cards. if you've got survival or sylvan library or whatever that's a different story, but you aren't always going to have those in your opener.

someone like erebos can take it easy, tutor for whatever it needs, and spend any extra mana at the end of an opponent's turn drawing cards so it's never going to run out of steam like a monogreen deck does with a bad draw.

I love the lore about Boros. I legitimately wish there was a decent boros general/deck out there.

>Just remembered I need another Survival of the Fittest for my Ruric Thar deck
>It was at $40+ last year
>It's now $70+
Kill me

There are some good ones. I remember putting together a janky Gisela deck with Sunforger shenanigans that did okay in my playgroup, until they started pulling shit like Kaalia and Breya out.

how do you win with it? the usual boros gameplan is "kill the mana screwed opponent and then scoop to a wrath"

>mid thread question
>How would you improve boros

anax and cymedes + zada commander. It allows you to do everything that boros wants while improving it's short coming depending on the pump spell
>swing fatties
>go wide and attack all
>card draw (on some pumps)
>pose an actual threat

Maybe something like
>3WR
>Life Link
>Heroic - When you cast a spell that targets this card create a copy for each creature you control, those creatures get +1/+1 and vigilance till end of turn
>3/4

>Play Aluren
>Guy spergs out
>"What the fuck user that's like $25!"
>Proceeds to play a Masterpiece Aether Vial on his turn

>"I opened this in a pack!"

i hate that shit. first game at a new LGS my awful wurm tribal deck became the archenemy on turn 1 because i played a cavern of souls.

>Tread Question

Edh players are bad and think they are awesome players...
Don't know who to focus, get angry when is focused, by having the wincon countered, don't know how the pile works...
just like... learn to play the fucking game

People who sperg about Cavern are the absolute worst. People who don't even play blue will get their shit twisted and destroy it even though there's zero fucking point in them doing so.

The Spirit of EDH is absolutely a thing, it's just that it differs from group to group and can only be sussed out for that particular group after many interactions. It's one of the reasons store play against random people can be so dicey.

I will admit though, I take a sadistic joy in destroying someone's $150 Jace with a $2 bolt.

i think it was the fact that it's an EXPENSIVE CARD!!!! that got people upset

i like to make bad, gimmicky 100% decks to be on par with the average 75% decks. same thing happened to me at a different store when i dropped an early fetchland for an underground sea. i was playing skeleton ship with an awful, gimmicky "combo" that didn't even win the game.

never got that combo off at that store.

yeah, but it's not like they're losing $150, and that's still a 1 for 1

also jace doesn't die to bolt

Yes he does.

not if you +2 him instead of brainstorming first

He can if his user brainstorms doofus

i know, man

>Got my set of Caverns when they were around $10 each
>People now sperg at me for running them in my EDH decks
It's not my fault Wizards reprinted it at Mythic like assholes.

>Mistveil Plains with a Sunforger package
Holy shit this is INSANE

What's your deck like? I've been trying to brew a Sunforger deck and I can't decide how to build it.

On a related note, what's everyone's spiciest tech for Isochron Scepter that isn't a counterspell because I like having friends?

Silence.

you used to be able to put Research//Development on isochron scepter and use it to cast Development every turn, but they changed how the CMC of split cards works in Amonkhet

fuck you wizards, stop breaking my jank combos for the sake of "simplicity"

Post the games where you had unlimited power
>cast riskars expertise 4 times
>cast gamble 3 times
>traversed the uvenwald with delrium twice
>emptied the warrens storm 8 with doubling season with anger in the gy
>won with a double copied molten psyche(3x) getting a beast within on the 2nd wheel to crush my opponent with the final big hit by killing his glacial chasm
>also got a goblin piledriver up to a 69/2