MTG Ask a Judge thread

Welcome back to your ask a judge thread!

This is a thread for questions on MTG rules, policy and tournament practices.

Ask away

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/content/judge-regional-coordinators
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If a player is running Frankie Peanuts as their general is it legal to punch them in the face?

Whats it like being employed by known pedos?

how do i sign up to become a judge.

What happens with mill when your opponent is out of cards and you try to make them mill more. Additionally if the stack is as follows
>mill library
>eldrazi shuffle trigger
>dramatic reversal
can you mill again assuming there was an artifact that caused the player to mill?

Well it's not ok to run unofficial commanders without your groups permission. If everyone else is ok with it, maybe it's not the right kind of fun for you, find another group. If nobody else likes it either, treat it as if he was playing stax, tell him it's not fun to play, and if he doesn't give it up, hate him out of every game.

DISCLAIMER:
stax did nothing wrong

Your questions are getting less and less coherent. First judges were the pedos and now it's the whole of WOTC?
Also, "employed" is a very strong word.

To become a judge you have to pass a written exam, judge two events and do an interview, all overseen by a L2 judge. If you don't know any in your nearby area, find your Regional Coordinator and send them a message, they should be able to put you onto the right track.
magic.wizards.com/en/content/judge-regional-coordinators

>question
When we're given an instruction we can't complete we just ignore it, so Tome Scour on an empty library just won't do anything.
And yes, you can respond to Eldrazi's shuffle triggers by continuing to mill, but everything you mill afterwards will still be shuffled back in once the Eldrazi's trigger resolves. Your opponent won't lose until they attempt to draw from an empty library, so continuing to mill with the Eldrazi on the stack probably won't help. Stifle or Extirpate are the cards you want to deal with those pesky Eldrazi.

When a Rattlechains enters the battlefield, and targets itself, can the opponent respond by killing it?

so if i continue to mill them then have them draw a card with something like stroke of genius for one they lose and the eldrazi trigger is just removed from the stack?

Absolutely! Just the same as if they targeted any other spirit you always have a chance to respond to triggers.

Sure, that'll work. You can force em to draw before the Eldrazi trigger resolves.

If I were to grab an opponents creature with something like Act of Treason, then I blink it, what happens?

Does it come under my control permanently or do I have to return at the end?

why aren't the nephilim legendary creatures

If Hadana's climb is in play can i use it's ability (beginning of combat) and then not declare attackers?

Presumably because they aren't meant to represent unique characters.

Most flicker effects (Flickerwisp, Momentary Blink, etc) return the creature to it's owner's control, so no dice. It'll return to the opponent as the flicker resolves. Now if you are the owner and you're flicking a creature that's been Mind Controlled, then yes, this will work.
If there's some weird flicker than returns the card to it's controller's, uh, control, then yes, you can steal them forever as they aren't connected to that Act of Treason.

>pic related

Absolutely. In fact, you have to use it's ability before you even decide whether or not you're attacking.

How does priority work with ticking up a planeswalker?

Whenever a spell resolves, priority passes to the Active player, that is, whoever's turn it is. Once your planeswalker spell resolves you have priority, so you can do something before your opponent, such as cast a Rampant Growth, or more likely, activate your Planeswalker. You add or subtract loyalty counters as a cost, put the ability on the stack, and only then, does priority pass to your opponent and they can respond.

Does that clear it up?

>You add or subtract loyalty counters as a cost, put the ability on the stack
So loyalty happens first or the stack happens first? Can I bolt jace to remove him in response to him activating a ability?

>why aren't the nephilim legendary creatures
WotC no longer does functional errata to individual cards. Or, in layman's terms, WotC is willing to change how the rules of the entire game works (removing mana burn, changing the legend rule, etc) and they're willing to adjust the wording of a card to be in line with how current cards are worded (such as changing "play" to "cast" where applicable) but they won't do anything to individual card(s) that changes how the card works in the game. Making a card legendary would constitute changing how the card works in the game, so it's never going to happen.

The exception is in silver-border. Two cards from Unstable received functional changes to their text after release - Ordinary Pony was reworded to prevent an easy infinite loop, and The Grand Calcutron had "This card can be your commander." added to it. Because Silver-border is allowed to break the rules.

The real question is, why hasn't the rules committee issued an official ruling making the Nephilim legal commanders? They control the rules for Commander, not WotC. While they're at it do the same for Westvale Abbey and Elbrus, the Binding Blade. They're legendary creatures on the back face, that should be good enough.

Loyalty happens first cause that's the cost of the ability, you can bolt in response to one of his abilities, but if the opponent decided to + instead of 0 or -, jace will live, otherwise he gets shot down by the redirected damage, and then his ability resolves, whichever one he may have chosen.

Creatures have summoning weakness, enchantments not.
Riddleform without haste can't attack the same turn I cast it right?

That's just untrue entirely, see recent near identical errata to Pony on Hostage Taker.

All permanents, essentially, have summoning sickness. It just only matters to creatures.
It's why you need to be careful with walkers that create manlands on modo.

Correct.
Look at the creature. Now look at me. Now look at your last untap step. Was the creature there? It doesn't matter if it wasn't a creature as long as it was there. You can attack with it this turn.

There's a difference between errata that changes it's function and errata that fixes things that never should have been, see Lotus Vale and Marath.

Forgot about that one. According to the officials, Hostage Taker was a straight-up misprint. They fucked up in editing and forgot the word "another" and they didn't catch it until product was printed. I believe the errata was issued before the set was even released but I dunno about the timing. There's no way in hell they deliberately designed the card to be able to self target, that would be retarded. It has to have been a fuckup.

A similar thing happened in Worldwake, except that time the word they left out was in the type line rather than the rules text. Woops!

No wait, Im pretty sure only creatures have summoning sickness, how could I tap for mana land or artifacts the same turn I play them?

thanks for the magic trick

No worries.
The game tracks what permanents are newly controlled and "summoning sick", but you're right in that it only effects creatures. "summoning sick" doesn't really have any game meaning, it's just the term people use to describe it.

How do I let the judge at FNM know that my No No Square is off limits for touching? Should I have my parents tell him? Also why do you have to wear a clown suit when judging a Magic event?

And with that I'm taking a journey into the land of nod.

Why is SJWs of the Coast banning paying customers who disagree with their politics right after losing 61% of their playerbase due to similar BS?

Viscera Seer and Blood Artist out on battlefield. Is it possible to sac both and drain 2?

Do cards exiled with a Karn face down or face up?

I have a Dread Statuary in play, and a Quicksmith Spy in hand. If I activate the Dread Statuary, making it an Artifact Creature, then play the Quicksmith Spy targeting the Statuary, can I still tap the Dread Statuary after it reverts back to just a land to draw a card?

Yes. It never checks artifact status except during the activation of the ability.

No. If you Sac the seer first you can sac artist, and if you Sac artist first you only deal 1 damage