Is tabletop wargaming the most chad pasttime?

Is tabletop wargaming the most chad pasttime?

>go to flgs for the first time
>talk to people playing and painting etc
>everyone has wives, plays sports, good job, etc

I thought everyone was supposed to be a sweaty neckbeard?

Gamers are losers.
Arm chair generals are losers.

Wargamers are losers, doubly so.

No. It’s just that wargaming takes cash.

You need money to play those kind of war games. And people who make money know how to make a living, if you know how to make a living your probably more well adjusted socially and physically.

Neck beards play magic, though they can and will be found in other similar TTG.

wargaming isn't any more expensive than magic is.

Stay away from Magic, Pathfinder, and any game that starts with the word "Vampire".

Magic is more expensive than wargaming. Once you build an army your pretty much done aside from aesthetics. Magic changes all the time.

There are of course bad eggs in the Wargaming crowd, but in general... It is the pinnacle of gentlemanly Veeky Forums.

Historic gamers research their periods of preference, study tactics and the great minds of the age. Those that paint smaller scales achieve the Zen of painting.

Warhammer players, while a battered lot, have a broad (if somewhat shallow) pool of lore to draw from, a multifaceted rogue's gallery to pluck their preferred forces from, and the modeling aspect means that even the most amateur player can have "his dudes" and take pride in their construction.

/awg/ players, meanwhile, are the bold explorers, the renaissance men who aren't afraid to try new things. They have a passion for their game of choice and a geniality to share it.

Warmachine players are competitive, true, but like chessmasters of old they take that competition with iron rules and a sense of 'fair play' that would make an Oxford Rugby Coach proud.

They're all sportsmen, and good sportsmen take victory or defeat in stride, for it's love of the game that pushes them.

And then there's Stanley. Stanley is not a person, he is a concept. Stanley exists in all games, across all eras and styles of play. He is the unwashed (literally) mass with a tide of unpainted lead he shoves at the table. The wheedler that uses minutia to edge out a victory and becomes petulant when corrected or when the same tactics are used against him. The spoilsport who cannot graciously win or gracefully admit defeat. Stanley is a child, still in kneepants despite his age. Do not encourage Stanley, do not become Stanley, and do not ever lose heart in wargaming when you encounter Stanley, for like any child, he should be chastised and sent away when he acts in a childish manner.

WTF is with everyone using the word autism? They just took this word and applied it to everything. Autism doesn't even mean what they think it means.

Percentage wise there seems to be a lot more Stanley’s that play Mtg compared to warhammer

The stanley in my group is an avid X-wing player. He throws temper tantrums whenever he starts (or thinks hes starting) to lose. Makes up rules on the spot and will argue them to death. pretends to forget things that you've already covered, etc etc.

Unfortunate. Of course the onus is on you, as a gentleman, to correct Stanley in a firm but kindly manner. After all, a lad can't grow up into someone of worth without a proper mentor.

Or if his tantrums are TOO onerous, you send him away to play with the other children.

Don't know about 'chad', but wargaming is definitely a positive hobby. I enjoy the mindful aspect to building and painting kit, and having my pals round for beers and games is a better focus than just going to the pub. Plus it requires no screen time at all, so gets me away from the computer.

Are you fucking new to Veeky Forums mate?

Only if you're playing professionally.

Sad reality is most neckbeards who obsess over magic still suck at it and just make jank decks and play in drafts they find with their tendie budget.

This makes up most of the MTG community not in middle school.

>Warmachine players are competitive, true, but like chessmasters of old they take that competition with iron rules and a sense of 'fair play' that would make an Oxford Rugby Coach proud.
I remember a competitive warmachine player at my LFGS who was an actual bodybuilder going to competitions. He was a true bro.

Also keep in mind that most wargaming and pnp actually requires you to talk without stuttering and go out.It's actually better for yourself than gorging on TV or vidya.

t. has played Veeky Forums related since I was 10yo and now has a good job and a gf

I'm gonna let you in on a little secret, come in real close so you can hear:

Before the year 2005, most people who played table top were totally normal human beings with wives/girlfriends, children, good jobs, and other hobbies besides playing games. In the year 2018, this is still mostly true, but all you can see are the shitty opinions of Veeky Forums posters and TCG players/video-game converts.

Netdecking, the most attractive way to M:TG for neckbeards so they might prey upon those weaker, promotes spending either several hundred every few months, or several thousand every few years.

You might be a total fucking idiot, so I'll forgive you, but the money and time investment of a single army in most wargames for the models and painting easily equates to 3 or 4 standard cycles of buying tournament-topping net decks.

You're looking at easily $1000+ dollars to get anything but the cheapest armies rolling, and literally weeks or months of time painting unless you do it the laziest way possible, just to get started. As models and rules change (which isn't frequently, to be fair) you may need to completely change armies to stay competitive.

Literally none of this addresses the reality that you can be very competitive in standard MTG without buying the top netdecks, and you can drastically cut costs by just becoming better at the game. Even if you are a phenomenal war gamer, the entry fee doesn't drop, because "worse" models are not cheaper because of it.

I honestly hope you're trolling, because if not you're either a total idiot and you are spouting off your uninformed opinion which makes you a total idiot.

A single, basic army in 40K can run $1000 easily, and then you have to invest the hours of time to paint it or pay someone else to do it for you. You could technically just base coat everything and be fine, but if we're going to argue cheaper options for 40K, then you don't have to netdeck the most expensive variant of whatever just got top 8 in MTG, which drastically drops the price.

The only time MTG is more expensive than war gaming is if you are a collector, and I'm not even sure about that because I haven't done the research to see who might be collecting rare war gaming models, games, rules, etc. and what they are paying.

>You're looking at easily $1000+ dollars to get anything but the cheapest armies rolling
That's litteraly only in GW wargames, and only if you go for the most expensive ones. Your price points correspond to something like 10$ a pop for 100 guys ffs, get a grip.

This.

>Paying for magic because the "new stardard rules" make some of your cards illigal just because they are old.
Fuck that shit, you can make a good deck for 5, dollars in magic. Just ignor the "standard" tournament changes.

>Paying to play most current rules of magic.
Just play magic with the cards, fuck being "forced" to buy the newest cards.

>Each and every one of my friends turned into a Stanley in some way. shape or form.

This is why I play my games online forevermore.