Welcome to the comfy DIY D&D general! This thread is for discussing:

>OD&D, AD&D 1e/2e, BECMI, and TSR-era games
>OSR games and other retroclones
>old school D&D-inspired homebrew and games

Some important links:

>Trove: pastebin.com/raw/QWyBuJxd
>Tools & Resources: pastebin.com/raw/KKeE3etp
>Old School Blogs: pastebin.com/raw/ZwUBVq8L

All discussion of game styles and mechanics is welcome. Dungeon crawls, meatgrinders, wilderness exploration, high fantasy shenanigans, etc.

This is a comfy thread, so let's keep acrimony and bitterness to /osrg/.

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/15204324
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>OD&D, AD&D 1e/2e, BECMI, and TSR-era games

But that thread sucks

But this thread sucks

>2e
dropped

We can make it great.

Probably the best thing I’ve added to my own D&D games is wandering monster checks. Rules are straight from B/X. Really makes the game more dangerous and about careful management of resources, which is where D&D shines. Since my own game is modern D&D, this keeps casters from overshadowing martials.

Is this just /osrg/ with less bitching and puristism?

Same amount of bitching
Unique poster count is too low for puristism

>/osrg/ with less bitching and puristism?
we can only hope

What're people working on at the moment? Throw your hosuerules into the thread.

I'm playing with some stuff for simple combat choices, so that you can choose different things in melee each round, but without more rolling, analysis paralysis, and other crappy side effects. One is a guard stance so that a fighter can actually be the meat shield people always talk about them being for casters but can't easily pull off pre-3rd.

Say you wanted to play a Birthright campaign, where there's not much actual monster-fighting and dungeon-crawling (more courtly intrigue and the occassional skirmish). What are some ways that the characters can earn XP (that aren't "give zero shits about the plots going on and jerk off in a dark dungeon")? Would you award XP for ""quests"", and if so, how (much)?

>so that a fighter can actually be the meat shield
how're you doing that?

Since we seem determined to fight over the fate of /osrg/, let's actually have a poll to figure out what the consensus on the issue is. Maybe it won't help at all, and maybe it'll just spawn more bickering, but at least we'll have a better idea of where people stand. (This is the exact same poll that's in the /osrg/ thread.)

strawpoll.me/15204324

/diydnd/ can become a great place for discussing rule changes, homebrew and gonzo material without the problem of getting hampered by people constantly forcing the definition of one pointless term. The OSR has run its course and doesn't need to exist anymore. We can grow beyond as two separate generals.

What's the best classless, attributeless, and diceless OSR system?

You're both fucking retarded with your internet policymaking and politicking.

I suggest that you both should kys, and the rest of us should stop posting in generals, and just post these things as actual threads of their own - and let them sink or float based on how interesting/memetic one's content actually is.

lol good luck with that

Hey guys, I figured this is a good place to ask since Dark Sun is pretty old-school (aside from 4e and various conversions), but does anyone know of a trove with *all* Dark Sun stuff, including novels and such?

I've always had an interest of Dark Sun, but I've only recently decided to really get into it, but most places only have a handfull of resources not including novels and such. And since Dark Sun isn't that huge, I figured getting all of it should be eminently possible.

Bonus points for Spelljammer & Planescape stuff, but I'm really trying to focus on getting the Dark Sun stuff for a Pathfinder game I'm thinking of running.

Are there any rules you like to increase tactical aspects of gameplay? In a game about dungeon crawling corridors, the ability to force enemy movement is important. I don't like the whole 4e power list aspect, but the improvisation guidelines from 4e were a good idea. Should be rules to drag, shove, bash, etc. monsters (and PCs) around.

Roughly speaking, I think making an attack roll vs. a difficulty of 10 + HD to reposition a monster. Success equals you can move the monster 5 feet, every 5+ points over that means an additional 5 feet. If your attack roll hits their AC, you can do half damage, too. If you miss, the monster gets to move you five feet.

Nice meme reply. 2e is a great system, bitch nigger, stay mad tho and thanks for the bump

COMFY THREAD.

>classless
Searchers of the Unknown.

>attributeless
Swords and Wizardry, just assume everyone has an 11 (+0).

>diceless
oi mate u bein cheeky

>/osrg/ has barely any shitposting compared to /diy/ and /tsrdnd/, still has tons of content
>Even the shitposting it has is people jokingly mocking the uncreative, no-contribution "it's not-OSR" grogs.

Can't Diy and tsrdnd just make a Discord?
In other words, get ye gone?

Are there any good charts for rural happenings and/or town events? Something to spice up visits to villages and such

m8 did you not see the iberians threatening to bash each others' heads in with rocks?

>telling both parts of the /osrg/-schism to leave /osrg/ but not make their own generals
Who will be left?

Even if there isn't, I should make one.

Local festivals, competitions. People are people, after all, and in an era where community was king, there would have to be at least something going on.

Sorry, went to bed after making that post.

Wanting to keep combat abstract and still allow for mapless play, so the process is somewhat abstract too. But:

Guard: Pick a creature or object. If you remain within 10 feet of it and can move freely, the first two enemies trying to attack or reach it from other than behind you must engage you instead. The guarded creature / object has heavy cover, but missile attacks that must pass the guard and miss the target by 4 or less check against its guard’s AC (ignoring any Dex AC modifiers) to strike the guard.

So basically you just say "I'm protecting that guy" and the first two attackers coming at him get locked in melee with you. They can still go around you if they really want to get at him, and you can't stop the orc army by yourself.

I might drop the last provision about missiles, since "within 10ft and ranging far enough to intercept two attackers" might clash with people's idea of close cover (and because it would be simpler). At the same time, everyone brings up cover in these sort of scenarios so it's sort of expected.

By doing this, you give up the chance to take the other combat stances, so you lose the chance to protect yourself better, do a bit more damage, or have a little to-hit bonus. It's supposed to be small freebie stuff that's quick and easy to arbitrate.

You're confused, the diydnd user does not represent osrg. If you are him, you are greatly overestimating the prevalence of your opinion, same as tsrdnd user. Just check the strawpoll on this thread for an idea of the reality.

Most of the /osrg/ are reasonable and rational people who can handle mixing purist oldschool with no innovation and no new rules since TSR alongside modern games with all the right old-school mechanics. We're not autists who think they can't exist side-by-side, we just enjoy good and frequent content and its discussion on our playstyle.

The old school Renaissance is named after a time in human history that is very similar to the thread. The intermingling of old and new for the best result.

Not diydnd user, just someone who wants to see some change to the general. I've been in these threads for years now and for at least a year and a half now, basically every thread has devolved into "what is OSR" and "that is/n't OSR" crapfests. At this point I want that gone, and the best solution I can see is to stop using the term altogether. I'm actually not sure why it's still so widely used, I guess it's because some good authors are connected to it and people like to believe they'll be the next big published author.

I don't agree, there's a lot more shitposting lately, but the actual discussion is still extremely high compared to any other threads on Veeky Forums. If you just hide the not-OSR posts you'll see what I mean.

I could live with the name change, but people are tribal by nature and I don't want to lose the people who come to Veeky Forums just for /osrg/ because they took a few weeks break and then can't find the thread anymore. The thread is still very helpful if you have questions and people regularly post new variant rules and encounter ideas.

I haven't been following the threads as much since about new years, so I concede that I could be wrong about the state of the general. Could I ask you to show me any recent interesting OC in the general that was well received? In my experience the good and promising posts are almost always never followed up on or replied to much because people tend to start arguing definitions instead.

OC seems to have always gotten two or three posts in its favour; more if it's short and sweet instead of a full homebrew. One-page table type stuff does well. But I'd say the place has never been crazy about dissecting rules, especially fan rules, and since so much of that stuff is bad it's hard to blame anyone.

Has been well received.

Reposting in here because /osrg/ fucking sucks right now.

So I may have gone mad but why not reduce the XP to level up to a steady (1st level XP)*level (or whatever it takes to get to level 2 in your class), and introduce mechanics to curb HP inflation (and excessive survival of PCs at high levels)?
That way players get to experience higher levels without taking ages, losing a character remains a possibility and actually hurts because it will be higher level, but getting back to his level is not completely impossible given some time. Also it removes the need to progressively inflate treasure value or else the PCs will never get enough for a new level

I don't necessarily want them to die more.
What I do want is to make every part of the world worth visiting. If a monster's treasure is worth 4000gp, that may be amazing for a 1st level party, but a 5th level party has 'outleveled' it (making even the OOC time invested in acquiring the nearly worthless (to them) treasure a waste). I want finding a golden crown to be a moment of celebration, whether they're level 1 or 6. You go to the Shadow Keep of the Demon because the treasures inside are truly amazing, not because the Kobold Den is for level 1 chumps because it only holds like 500gp.
I also want to keep lethality consistent. You shouldn't be nearly unkillable when you're like 10th level. Higher level monsters should be more deadly, and lower level ones should still pose a threat. As they grow in level, they also get much more killing power, so that helps with killing vermin like kobolds, as long as they don't get the drop on the party.
And when that disintegration ray hits, I don't want the player to feel like he should do a Blackleaf. I want them to feel like it's something they can earn back.

To explain this further, I thought of this as I was stocking a dungeon. I like treasure to be interesting and not just heaps of coins and gems lying about for no reason. I placed a silver crown, worth 800gp. Then I asked myself what sorts of treasure I would hand out once my players were 8th level and needed l like 128 thousand gp to level up. Sure, I could add jewels and fine engravings, make it gold. And then I could invent precious metals to justify the outrageous cost. Even then, it would have to be worth many thousand gold pieces to be worth picking up. And who the fuck has that much money? Who's going to buy off the PCs? Will every single dungeon be stocked with items of indescribable worth? When would I succumb to lack of ideas and simply start throwing out mountains of gold coins?

When I was at the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam this summer I realized that the various pieces of art, jewelry, fine china, weapons, etc brought from the Indies were basically treasure brought over by adventurers

Yes. But the result is that the 'silver ring worth 100gp' you'd pick up at 1st level because it's worth 5% of the experience you need to get to the next level is pretty much worthless at level 8 (0.00083% of the EXP you need), so the DM needs to put more and more ridiculously expensive treasure in "higher level" dungeons and leads to players finding ethereal rings made from a dragon's cock worth 50000gp each. Which may be fine if you want gonzo shit, but makes no sense.

This is a decent solution, but forces you to
>A. Always have some sort of patron
>B. There must be an assortmen of ever wealthier art-obsessed lunatics in the setting

Fair enough, but isn't this just a pdf version of a blogpost by Cavegirl? I'm not sure I feel that things made primarily for a blog is general OC, but whatever.

>2e is a great system
nah

>bitch nigger
Snitch bigger.

>stay mad tho
I ain't mad. U mad.