Warhammer 40000 General - /40kg/

Deathwing Edition

>NOVA Info:
warhammer-community.com/2018/03/01/registration-for-the-nova-open-now-livegw-homepage-post-2/

>I have met my enemy, it's an abomination:
youtu.be/ClfhBZR9-As?t=25m9s

>FAQs:
warhammer-community.com/faqs/

>Megas:
mega.nz/#F!bF0ExS4D!_XaMECn0K9HiJKUFSopJLA
mega.nz/#F!gaBiVTKI!HTOuNx5zzNxHqT-ny-AU3A
mega.nz/#F!64wmnBZR!rWcm37EkOOeToeueqhPjpA
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ

>Old Black Library Mega:
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q

>Mathhammer:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10t6_FO9mTaG8FHY4B7v6hOQgwc3gXxUiIOrMYt16I6M/edi

First for best chaplain sculpt.

>ROBOT WARS!!!

What secondary weapon for my succubus? agoniser or blast pistol?

Lads, how do I paint faster and stop being an obsessive perfectionist?

Keep painting eventually you will get faster at doing your specific things.

Well, it IS one of the only three plastic chaplains

So why are the Necrons attacking Mars again?

Either to get the Void Dragon to kill or worship, or it's not on Mars and it's just Beep Boops fighting Kill All Humans

Does the Deathwatch chaplain really count because that thing has sold out for a bit.

Oh, didn't notice that Kill Team Cassius had a chaplain in it.

It's not set on Mars. The conflict revolves around the Admech and Necron wars over the right to claim the blackstone substance used in the creation of the Pylons. Why would the Admech stop the Necrons from saving the galaxy is mind boggling.

>Storm of Metal

>All across the Imperium, primary holdings – from mining colonies to Knight worlds to forge worlds – find themselves under attack from Necrons. The influx of Chaos energies has triggered anti-warp protocols in every Necron tomb world, and things that have lain dormant for aeons stir once more. The infamous Technomandrites, struck down by the Silent King, return. Panic rises amongst the Tech-Priests, for they are already besieged from without, and the Necron threat is coming from within.

>Bane of the Forge Worlds

>Although there are many theories, none understands the reason for the Necron attacks upon forge world territories as well as Archmagos Belisarius Cawl. Both sides are seeking deposits of the strange material from which the Cadian pylons were fashioned, and many Adeptus Mechanicus strongholds have been erected upon sites containing this precious resource. Cawl sends his own agents – armies of Mars and House Taranis – across the stars in an effort to combat the growing danger, and hundreds of battles are fought as more and more forge worlds are drawn into the conflict to aid their beleaguered brethren. Even those Tech-Priests that begin to understand the reality of the dire situation are loath to call upon their Imperial allies for fear of being branded hereteks.

Parasite's Kiss or a Blast Pistol. Never really saw the use of an Agonizer on her since MC's would rip her open. I made mine WYSIWYG with the pistol from the wych kit.

Gah, not the answer I wanted to hear but I know you're right

Guys help, I'm making an amazon order and I can't decide what to get. Should I:

>buy a box of space marines and paint em up like Mentors

>buy another box of guardsmen to build up my reg

>buy a box of kroot carnivores and convert them to mercs

>get a box of CSM to build up my warband

>buy a box of Dark Angel vets and convert the into Fallen

Why does his stick not have wings?

Practice practice practice. Eventually, especially if you're painting in bulk like I did after realizing I had about 150 guard models completely grey last edition. Being an obsessive perfectionist is fine on leader models, but for the basic mooks, just get used to speedy batch painting

Biggest thing is to evaluate what you should put your effort into, consider that the model is expected to be seen from about 45 degrees up. focus your effort on what can be seen from rotating the model around and put only the minimal colour blocking outside that.

>why

Because all these assholes in red jackets keep marching over their meticulously buried tombs is why.

GW are hammering through codex releases, but what happens when every book is out? New armies? Second round of books? Ninth edition?

Make some Fallen. Then you can use them for either Chaos or Imperial armies

>why would the greedy tech zealots want to stop other people from stealing 'their' toaster parts?

The admech aren't the most conductive coil in the unit

Campaign books.

Either slow trickle on new models or the release of new armies, yeah.

Campaigns and supplements, they said they would like to flesh out and go back to certain factions. Besides now that rules are inside yhe box they can just release models without books, like the Armiger, which was their goal.

I understand this on a pragmatic level, but when it comes down to the wire I hate saying 'that's good enough' when I know it could be better. Do you find that response gets conditioned out over time?
Very good point, hadn't thought of it like this.

>le standing on a rock meme

>watching GSC batreps to try to get better
>glacial geek guy always rolls 5,6s on cult ambush
>mfw I play and roll 1,2,2 on primus reroll ambush

Fucking goddam asshole bullshit what the fuck man

What's on your painting table today, /40kg/?

*blocks your path*

What would this look like? Lore and new missions, with new character rules (etc)?

> 'their' toaster parts?

It's just rocks.

Oh my!

more guard

Lore for flluff advancement, new missions based on the narrative, and maybe one or two characters. You know, like the Mont'ka book.

Paint while intoxicated.

you need some washes user

I find that if you are careful with your scheme and how you do details you can churn out models which look awesome in comparatively little time. One thing to realise is that well chosen detail that emphasize the model well are better than extreme thorough detail when viewing the models on the table which will be about arms length away. Save that stuff for golden demons, it makes for cluttered looking armies on the table in my experience.

Ah, I missed 7th ed so wasn't aware they'd done this. Sounds like exactly where we're going next in 8th.

Got scale now for the Knightlets
Looks like roughly Ghostkeel was a fair guess

Damn, that box looks like it has got value

Big clown ass right in my face

I want it. I want it so bad.

I'm too afraid to start painting because I know I'll screw up, ruin expensive models, and never be good like those of who post their paintings (pic related). What should I do?

How is the box balanced? The Admech have knights and the Necrons have nothing heavy.

Not a bad idea tbqh
So it's choosing key areas to focus on rather than trying to get the whole model perfect? I like that. I figure the 80/20 principle probably works here, too. 80% of result in 20% of the time.

I LOVE THE ULTRAMARINES SO MUCH

play necrons whose colour scheme is basically drybrushing silver over a slightly different silver and green.

>still waiting for that supposed ork boxed campaign

Flayed flesh done, metallics are up next.

Blast Pistol is nice for taking wounds off of ICs

Dude this discussion is already taking place in this very thread

>conditioning out the over effort

Yeah, i get it. None of my 3k eldar army is painted because I got them when I first started and I realized the effort and skill needed to make them decent was far beyond my current skill. The trick I picked up to give myself the excuse to move on was to put on a movie, grab a few models, depending on what they were, and give myself until the end of the movie to have them to at least tabletop standard. Then put those models aside, and start on the next group. Don't touch that first set of models until you have nothing else to paint, then go back and make them better. I ended up going through the alien/predator box set I have at least twice to finish the 200 or so infantry guard models I had

I lost them a couple years ago when I left the army in my car overnight and some bastard stole my car, which only hurts a little bit when I think about it now

Practice. Those people you compare yourself to didn't start out painting that well. They got where they are by screwing up, trying again, and, most of all, Practice.

Bake your dice.

Honestly, since fucking Nercons v. Admech happened, I can totally see Orks v. Guard happening.

Remember, apparently Necrons got a big change jumping to Codex.
Maybe they'll fuck Vehicles sideways again.

Wait, are they putting 2 mini-knights in one box? Must be a bargain set if it's not like $200 or something.

Rigid time keeping seems a sensible way to structure this. I'll give that a try during my next session, cheers.
Sorry to hear about your lost models (and car). That sucks.

Don't forget it has a bunch of other stuff too

I'm going to guess the mini-knights, purchased separately, would cost about the same as a redemptor dreadnought($65)

I should mention, I don't play much so I'm mostly looking at these kits modeling and converting wise.

Woooooo!

probably new stratagems and more in depth subfaction rules as well as new subfactions.

They're a decent army, with a wide selection of characters that can be used with almost any army playstyle. Their chapter tactic is a safe option, and since theyre vanilla marines, they have literally the widest selection of units available to 40k. They're fun.

But anyways, im guessing you had a good interaction with them recently?

Yeah, I was serious. Drunk painting is amazing. Not "I can't feel my face" level, but just enough to lower anxiety and inhibition. You relax a bit more, paint more confidently and appreciate your own efforts, leading to faster painting.

They better be super roman ultra marines. Super roman ultra marines are the best ultra marines,

Hold up, did you start with the flesh? That's strange, care to run me through your painting process? I'm about to start 30 Kabalites, don't want to fuck up too bad.

Cryptek - $30
Given plastic, options, and character pricing that is my guess
Immortals $33
Lychguard $33
Canopteks $47

Necron total $143

Skitarii Squad $39
Techpriest $36
Knightlets $Unknown x 2
Subtotal section $75

Running total $218

Damn, even if Knightlets are a mere 50 bucks each, assuming normal box pricing, hell of a box!

But the prices arent even out yet.

For all we know this box could be $350 or more.

Post a face you painted, please. For the collage.

No way the box will be absurdly higher than the usual box benchmark

Hopefully the knightlets come out separate from the box at the same time. I'd rather not have to go to ebay, since I only want one of them.

Box sets are always a good deal. Hell, Dark Imperium is $1.89/model if you remove the price of the core rulebook from it.

I'm actually trying something different. by going from the inner parts out. So, the flesh tabards can get into some nasty little crooks. I didn't do the armor highlights first because me handling the models will rub the paint off, I'm actually saving them for last. So my process I'm thinking of doing is prime, spray basecoat and wash armor, apply black to body suit parts, flesh tabards, grey metallics, gold metallics, and I think from there do stuff like the eyes and decorative elements and save the armor highlights for last.

No red bull

Fallen vets, for the love of plasma

A whole lot of shit desu, I should do some.oainting but I just cbf

At work, not many photos of painted work on phone. How's this?

$180 tops, looks similar to the 30k boxes though I could see it being $150.

Still WIP, but that's 2 tequila Sunrises and about 2 hours work including dry time between layers.

This is retarded. Get high instead if you're just trying to calm your nerves.

>mfw Tau and Dark Angels and Tau are getting their AI theme nerfed
What a shame. After 7th made drone heavy armies not just good, but even fun, I built an entire army around drones and some crisis suits and broadsides. Now drones are getting nerfed when they really didn't need it. Sad man.

Should I just go full Gaylord and focus on my dark angels now? What is the general consensus on the different wings now? I used to favour Ravenwing, but I probably have more Deathwing models, just because I love my termies.

I never specified means of intoxication... I am regularly drug tested for work so baked painting is a no-go for me.

Besides, if my teen years are anything to go by, being stoned makes me lazzzzzzyyyyy as fuuuuuuuck....

You're retarded, get your dirty hippie drugs the fuck outta here

>AI theme
>Dark Angels

I could see smoking some weed and painting minis as a very relaxing activity, but getting drunk alone makes me question what went wrong with my life

Just take 1 hit old man

I like it. I especially like your Wraithguard.

Paths your block

No, my Tau army was AI themed. And they needed it and gave nothing in return, if the rumours are true. They buffed the fuck out of the overpowered shit, and nerfed the average units we have. So I was considering switching back to my old Dangels.

Damn, they nerfed Tau AI twice?

I heard meth really helps you to focus and detail but only thing legal here is marijuana and it only made me so dizzy that I had to go to bed

Yep. Saviour protocol got nerfed, drones was already nerfed, and has been severely overcosted now +(+4 ppm). Meanwhile all the stupidly good shit had INSANE point cost reductions, so we are back to riptide spam being the best option.

Fun times. GW must hate their player base.

Tau had anything stupidly good? Riptide dropping like 80 points is significant but it's still going to get melted turn 1. A full broadside squad going from 800 to like 620 doesn't really make them better than stuff in other books either. They were unplayable before.

>My Tau is painted in Sa'cea colours and has always been fluffed as such
>Considering if I have to change that come the sept rules, as I expect they will be a poor match for a rail heavy army with a lot of hammerheads
>Rumours say each unit can reroll one to hit roll per turn
>Each unit
>Free rerolls on literally every single tank in my army
Holy shit, is this for real?

Is this the time I finally come back into 40k? I haven't played since 8th dropped, but that sounds absolutely amazing.

Buy a lot of high body count/low cost models and just paint them to completion, if you ,mess up it doesn't matter, you're painting them to get better. Experiment with different techniques, dont stop until you've painted every spot, by the end you'll have gotten better.

Other codexes already have similar army abilities but it typically keyworded to infantry and dreadnaughts. Suits will probably get it but I doubt tanks will unless they fuck up the keywording.

>Let riptides are shit
I'll screencap this for 1 year down the line when ou Autists are once again screeching about how much cancer Riptide spam is.

Just like 6th edition where people claimed riptides were shit at launch.

Thanks dooder