>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/
Thoughts on the current state of Ranger? What's the most powerful archetype? Is it Horizon Walker?

Other urls found in this thread:

sageadvice.eu/2015/04/15/net-attack/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ranger's most powerful archetype?
>Battlemaster

Bard with Swift Quiver.

beastmaster gives you a pet dog
i've always wanted a pet dog

flying civilized tree nigger elves? We'll I'll be.

>"High" Fantasy

>best ranger?
Hobgoblin Crossbow master rogue with a net.
>best ranger?
Blast Lock refluffed as shooting arrows

Beastmaster makes good theoretical use of a net, which makes it interesting to me despite being retarded and bad.

As a DM would you allow a Rogue player to change the Longsword Proficiency with a Whip?

Is there any way to make nets not shit?

the 5 Hp and DC 10 seems too low to be actually useful

A few sessions past, a powerful boss suddenly grew wings and started running away from the party. The opportunity attacks didn't kill him, so at the next turn the paladin suddenly grabbed a net and threw it at him.
After the boss fell back on the ground, he was promptly kicked to death.

I swear, I will never shit on nets again.

They absolutely ruin the target's action economy if you can land them semi-reliably

Kensei is finally level 17.

Kensei Weapons so far:

Lvl3
Longsword, Longbow

Lvl 6
Whip

Lvl 11
Dart

Lvl17
???

So you just have a stack of them and use nets as a disposable?

O the elder one, none of us has ever survived until the fabled high level play. Please, share your wisdom with us. What is it like?

Pretty much. Definitely ask the DM first, partially to see if there's a way (tool proficiency maybe) that you can build more nets, and partially to see if they're going to slap you for even trying this bullshit

I keep thinking of cool things to do with Ranger spells but the lack of ritual casting, tiny number of spells known and limited number of spell slots keep discouraging me from doing them. Oh, and just the wording on some spells shuts down some of my ideas.

>Playing Revised Beastmaster, get the idea of using my companion as an animal messenger in the city (Panther, so Stealth expertise and climb speed means it can move around stealtily with ease)
>Tiny animals only and only 2 2nd level slots per long rest, can't ritual cast it without taking a dip into Druid
JUST LET ME DO COOL SHIT

Anyone here use the DnD beyond service?

Should I even bother getting the ultimate pack as a DM? It seems like it would be super convenient, but I'm not going to just throw 350 bucks at something.

What is long running campaign? Weve been playing since the beta of 5e

not a chance
if you want to dash every round in melee, then just take the mobile feat like the rest of us

How do I justify playing a good-aligned Drow while still caring about the Drow race as a whole? I want my character's goal to be "freeing my people from Lolth's grasp" but I don't know how a Drow would come to that belief.

Want to play a gnome but don't want to be a wizard. What other classes suit them

how about giving it as a proficiency if you choose the Swashbuckler Archtype? I wean Whips are married to Swashbucklers

gnomes suit every class if you accept the fact that you are playing a joke race

Nets are vastly underrated, and mostly shit on by people who either don't play, or are afraid to utilize them. You don't want to use them with extra attack, but clerics or rogues make good use of them, assuming you take one of the options that offset the disadvantage, which both CBE and SS can do. Rogues with CBE in particular can make good use of it, throwing a net to gain advantage and sneak attack.
War Clerics seem to deal untyped damage with them, which i find amusing. I suppose one could take "extra" not to apply since it doesn't otherwise deal damage though, but what fun is that?

Actually Nets are 1gp. Thats cheap enough to spam in major encounters. You won't need nets for mobs, just big guys

noice

Can't wait to try it

Woops, wrong post

>Ritual Caster

Nah, I'm playing this gnome seriously

>"My species is the way it is because some cunt spider goddess likes us to be a backstabbing cesspit of fuckery"
>"Man, what a BITCH"

Imagine Drizzt, but if Zaknefein was in a position of actual power and influence. Or just take Jarlaxle, who isn't nearly as evil as most Drow but have an interest in utilizing the status quo to his own benefit.

Animal Messenger isn't a 1st level spell, and the dominant culture in the setting is very anti-magic, so coming across a recorded copy of the spell or someone who can teach it is extremely unlikely (in this campaign).

Honestly, would giving Rangers Ritual Casting even break anything? They get so few spells known that I feel it would be difficult to justify taking Rituals even if you could, since other spells are so competitive (Darkvision, Pass Without Trace, Spike Growth, Healing Spirit as some examples). When you only know a maximum of 2 second level spells at 5th and things like Animal Messenger have to compete with these spells WITHOUT the ability to even ritual cast them it seems pretty silly that they even bothered putting them on the list in the first place.

My character lost her virginity to love, now ho will she ever meet and tame a Unicron?

how do the various pets options for beast coven ranger compare to each other? I plan on getting Giant Weasel

>Your family was executed on a lie given by another house
>You escaped execution by being so unimportant that they didn't even care to find you
>Everyone knew your family was innocent and none of them cared
>You realized that the deaths were pointless and did nothing but make a spectacle
>All in the name of a goddess who doesn't give a fuck about them
Tack on a few years living among the surface normies and your alignment shifting when you realized life didn't HAVE to be shit.

fucking beastmasters I tell you hwhat.

My DM has given me a premade lvl 15 for an upcoming boss fight against an Adult Hydra (6/7 heads)

Race/Class
>Tiefling
>Draconic Sorcerer, Bronze Dragon

Stats:
>8, 12, 15, 11, 14, 20

Items:
>Staff of Healing
>Wand of the War Mage +2
>Iron Bands of Bilarro
>2x Superior Potions of Healing

Help me pick my spells Veeky Forums

I have conflicting responses to that.
One is that ritual casting is a class based boon, its doled out as any other class feature might be, and those shouldn't be given away freely.
On the other hand, ranger is shit and needs help desperately, and wizards don't need ritual casting at all.

Rogue, for one. Especially arcane trickster
And technically you could go dex eldritch knight.

I like that one, I'm probably going to use it.

I was thinking rogue. Eldritch fighter could work too. What about Arcane Archer from Xanathars?

is a familiar using help action every turn a real thing or is it just a meme people use when they talk about optimization
i've seen a familiar use the help action in close combat a handful of times but then its usually killed within the next turn
are there dms naive enough to actually let it happen more than once?

>Premade level 15
>Doesn't give you your spells
What an idiot.
How about a single-target disable like Polymorph or Banishment to get a breather. It has absolute garbage mental saves, so abuse those.

>but then its usually killed within the next turn
It used to be considered bad DM etiquette to target a familiar in a vast majority of cases.

Use it sparingly and most DMs won't do anything the majority of the time. Having your pet monkey "help" by pulling on the giant scorpions claw to let you get out is cute and endearing. Using an owl to fly at a gargantuan dragon and thinking it should even care is asinine, so expect it to get roasted.

I want to roll up a spider obsessed drow. When it comes to summoning spiders and shit like that is druid the best option? I feel like I would be missing out on some spiderish spells from wizard.

Mearls got off his ass and made a Lloth warlock patron lately. It's somewhat mechanically interesting.

I mean, here is a list of the ritual spells available to Ranger:

1st
>Detect Magic (Useful)
>Alarm (Useful)
>Detect Poison and Disease (I've never seen this spell cast in a campaign, ever)
>Speak with Animals (Useful)
>Wild Cunning ([Revised] Rangers get most of these things from Natural Explorer, rendering it redundant)
2nd
>Animal Messenger (Useful)
>Beast Sense (One part of the Find Familiar spell, but it's a 2nd level spell and can only be cast on willing beasts? And it's Concentration? What the fuck?)
>Locate Animals or Plants (Useful?)
3rd
>Water Breathing (Potentially very useful)
>Water Walk (Again, potentially very useful)
4th
>Nothing
5th
>Commune with Nature (Useful)

It's not like they can get access to any of the top-tier rituals like Tiny Hut, and the Ranger starts with only 2 spells known and gains ONE every TWO levels, capping out at a MAXIMUM of 11 spells known at 19th level, so their spell selection is EXTREMELY competitive.

WE WUZ

Sorcerer can do Careful Webs that restrain, take elven accuracy. Maybe shadow origin has some desirable features as well

I have three requests, /5eg/
1- can someone explain how the fuck CBE works? Like, how would a turn of a CBE proceed. I don't understand how crossbows and this feat work
2- Answer me: how do you handle shopping? The players just get whateaver the fuck they want and add to their inventories, or do you narrate and put flavor into each of the stores?

Shit I forgot the third one
Can someone post a good recorded session from youtube so I can get a grasp of how a good DM runs their game?

There's two things. First, you can attack twice with a crossbow on your turn if you have the extra attack feature, while normally you can, because of the Loading property. Second, and this is the most talked about one, you can attack in melee with a one-handed weapon and then use a bonus action to attack with a hand crossbow you're holding in the other hand. This isn't that different from attacking with a shortsword and a dagger, or two daggers. It simply adds the possibility to do Two-weapon Fighting with a hand crossbow.

Depends on the request. I do put flavor in my shops, especially when buying less mundane items, such as potions, scrolls, heavy armor, or formal dressing. I'll have them explain to the tailor what kind of dress they want, to roleplay the fitting of something that expensive. Or something that has to be ordered, such as plate mail, which has to have the right proportioned and take several weeks to make. More mundane things such as rations or buying 20 arrows I usually just describe them going into any random shop and buying it. There's also just way more shops to buy those things from, so it doesn't have to feel as special.

Any tips for a new DM that had the brilliant idea to run tomb of annihilation for six player, similarly new to the game (two of which i think are new to roleplay in general)? beside don't panic

Adding on to CBE also allows any ranged attack to be made at melee range WITHOUT disadvantage.

Wrong about CBE, it's primary use is wielding a single hand crossbow, which triggers it's own bonus action attack. Using one with another weapon is generally not going to work due to the ammunition property. At least more than one per combat unaided.
You can get around it, but they generally involve either a third party, such as a familiar able to manipulate bolts, magic, or a mechanical contraption. Gnomish reloading hand crossbow is an excellent reward, especially in a pre magic item party

Need to be Elven unfortunately.

This feels dumb because it's so useful for spells and archery, but they can't use 2/3 of the feat.
>Hey, user, why did you waste your stat increase on crossbow expert? Aren't you a warlock, you've never even touched a crossbow!

Sorry my bad, maybe seven player (but i don't think we'll accept the seventh one)

So...Loading says that you can fire once per attack, bonus or reaction. Does this mean that I can fire twice with a War/Zeal cleric? Once with an action and one with a bonus action?

All the specialization feats intentionally give lesser benefit outside their primary scope. Its so you aren't 100% punished if circumstances dictate not using your primary fighting method.

Actually, apparently only GWM and CBE do, so I was wrong. Its still good design though.

This is even more FUN since casting a range spell with your attack of opportunity granted by war caster is still made with disadvantage.

>want to play wild magic sorcerer who doesn't have any friendly-target spells and hesitates to use magic other than self defense because they are afraid of losing control
>friend wants to play whacky gnome who has no backstory or character traits related to it but thinks wild magic sounds fun and random
>DM tells me to consider another class because double sorcerers would be less fun than a varied party
>ask him why I have to switch and not other guy
>he likes th3 gn0Me of d00M more

What kind of info should I put onto a sheet for my personal use as a player? This is a broad question but I'm basically putting together my class table, race info so I can give my friend my phb. But i've got this space that is about 1/3rd of the page and nothing to put in it.

Wild Mage Sorcerers are not that cool anyway.

Just pick something with fire resistance and stay the fuck away out of his fireball range.

Just bought the Starter Set, will read and run LMoP soon

Any tips? What can I do to make the adventure more interesting?

Is GWF better for use with a broadsword or a polearm/glaive? Ignoring the bonus attack of the polearm.

Basically, is rolling 1d10 and getting to reroll 1's and 2's worse than rolling 2d6 and rerolling one of the 1's or 2's.

>is rolling 1d10 and getting to reroll 1's and 2's worse than rolling 2d6 and rerolling one of the 1's or 2's.
Yes

k, thanks

What are some fun things I can do/build towards with an Eldritch Knight for a campaign running towards the upper levels?

My Bard just hit level 4. He's of the College of Whispers. Should I take the War Caster feat or up my Charisma?

Up your Charisma

No you don't. I've got the book right here and there is no racial restrictions

Where are the best places to get married in the Forgotten Realms. Nothing grand but most likely tons of visitors. My PC said yes to the NPC that proposed to her.

Actually Two-weapon Fighting is a different thing than CBE.

Two-weapon fighting:
>When you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon that you're holding in one hand, you can use a bonus action to attack with a different light melee weapon that you're holding in the other hand. You don't add your ability modifier to the damage of the bonus attack, unless that modifier is negative.

CBE:
>When you use the Attack action and attack with a one-handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a hand crossbow you are holding.

As a hand crossbow is not a melee weapon it falls completely outside of the TWF rules, so it's its own seperate thing. This is important because it lets you add your ability modifier to the damage roll without having to take an extra feat.

Also since you can ignore the loading quality but not the ammunition quality you still need a free hand to load your crossbow. This means that you can't use, say, a shortsword and a HC together. It means that the only way to get two attacks from your HC is by firing it twice per turn with the same hand while keeping the other hand empty.

I have a Lv12 group composed by, Thief Rogue, Battle Master Fighter and Vengeance Paladin, They mostly haven't really been threatened by encounters, even a hard encounter with two trolls was mostly no issue because the trolls rolled pretty bad and their AC is pretty high (Lowest being 17AC), how do I remind them that they're very much at risk without outright causing a TPK.
Throw a Behir at them?

You should take Elven Accuracy to increase your Charisma to 18. If you can't do this, your mistakes are to old to be corrected.

Make encounters like these more frequent or throw something really bad at them, without killing them. Like they stumble onto a Lich, he takes someone down instantly, but decides that they're not worth his time and lets them escape. Or have something happen to the environment that's obviously way above their capabilities, but it doesn't affect them directly. A classic would be a dragon attack.

A temple of Sune

Hiw dies Sune view virginity and marraige?

I love these, who makes them, where can I find more?
What ARE they even?

She's called The Princess of Passion. I think she's cool with you having a bit of fun.

Fuck, I was dumb and approved the stats my friend rolled and now he's a monk with AC 16 and con 18 at level 1
Can I leave it be? I know he's not a munchkin faggot but 16 is still insane
Sessions later today

Some fighters can start with AC 19, they're fine

A wizard with 16 dex can have 16 AC. Fuck, 16 AC is STANDARD for monks.

My DM says that dropping a weapon on the ground olis a free action and that pulling out one weapon is a bonus action.

But I read on /5eg/ that dropping your weapon is a free-er than free action and that unsheating katana (1weapon) is a free action.

Honestly it won't make a huge difference. Monks have +DEX +WIS anyways so 16-17 is pretty normal.

18 CON is really high but again the 2-3 extra HP per level won't make an enormous difference unless he also rolls really well on his hit dice.

first find where it says this in the phb, then present it to your DM

Do monks actually use wis for anything else?

Sube sullirts love in general. She is equaly supportive of passionate lustful love and chaste temoered love. I don't know how she feels about loveless sex and marraige

Save difficulty

Your DM is dumb and has not read the PHB. You can draw one weapon as part of your attack action (which falls under the 'use an object' action).

Free actions don't technically exist in 5e but this distinction is minimal and indeed you can freely drop whatever you're holding with no penalty.

It's important that your DM understands the distinction between bonus actions and other types of actions though, otherwise you might get into a lot of trouble later on in the campaign when this starts playing a more substantial role. It's easy for a DM to handwave something like "oh just use a bonus action for that trivial thing, you're not using your bonus action anyways so I don't mind" early on, but later on when you *are* able to use your bonus action for something else you'll get into trouble since you're now already using it on this trivial thing you should be able to do as part of your attack action.

One of my party Members is a Hexblade warlock whose weapon acts as if it was a +1 weapon.

But he's level 3 (no multiclass) and our starting gold was way less than 1k (the price for +1 weapons).

How does a Hexblade do it?

By using an invocation called Improved Pact Weapon from Xanthar's Guide to Everything.

Invocation.

Learn to read.

By acts as if I mean he gets magic damage 1 and a +1 to hit.

>loli is holding a PHB
>hexblade
>PHB

Forest Gnome Oath of The Ancients.
be the anti-mage of 5e.

Sage Advice says that you can't add bonus damage to a net attack. I'd probably allow it to, though, just cause it's funny.
sageadvice.eu/2015/04/15/net-attack/