Warcraft Lore and RPG Discussion

Captain Waifu edition
Discuss the lore and story of the Warcraft franchise and its application in and around traditional games.

>Document compendium: Contains official (ex-canon) DnD 3.x variants and a fan made DnD 5e version! Also contains the official Warcraft Chronicles volumes 1 and 2.
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B52pEESRLwfBM3V0Sm5NTlBITlk

Why didnt they just destroy the dork portal? We couldve skipped WoD that way

What was actually GOOD about WoD?

It's base idea is garbage so as a whole it'll never be good, but what aspects of it are good?

I personally liked the new Ogre lore.

Bringing back forgotten characters like Khadgar and the Wardens
Legion then continued this with Maiev, Illidan, Aleria, Turalyon, Danath etc.

And ofcourse these characters were left in the rubbish, Varian and his fucking endless father/son bullshit, was killed off

there was no way to get rid of the portal, only deactivate it

>What was actually GOOD about WoD?
Iron Docks is one of the most fun dungeons in the game

>What was actually GOOD about WoD?
Arakkoa.

Some of the instances were fun, the landscapes were very solid; arrakoa/ogre societies at their peak were interesting. If they'd truly explored those instead of just ORCS, it would've been very interesting. If they'd actually gone all in on ORCS and not cut half the storylines and said nah this isn't interesting we give up, it might have had a chance. The entire expansion just reeks of apathy and unfulfilled promise, wrapped in an Activision cash grab.
>also pic related was good but will never be seen again

I liked the overall lore of Draenor but the AU context with all the other shit happening just ruins it.

DRAENOR WUZ FREE

Khadgar memes

The garrison is good for leveling professions on alts

Cata is slightly better now by comparison.
I love my murder cultist shit and Twilight's Hammer and Cult of the Damned are my only sources here, the fact that Cho'Gall and Kel'Thuzad manage to be hilarious as cult master is fucking swell.

whats so special about Doom Hammer? It looks like a regular hammer. Meanwhile The Alliance equivalent Ashbringer actually has some cool lore around it and aesthetic.

It was made by the OG Elemental Lords of Main Universe Draenor/Outland. It was to be given to the liberator of the Orcish race, what liberation means changes from writer to writer, but majorly it was Thrall -until- Draenor 2 Elemental Lords snitched on Thrall abusing the rituals to kill Garrosh and told the Azerothian Lords and the Main Draenor ones to remove the blessing from Thrall and to tell him to suck a bag of dicks. It has been used by three warchiefs at least and the Shaman of the Earthen Circle now wielded it to liberate us from the evil of Sargeras' sword Gorribal.

>FIRE! FIRE! Aim, THEN fire!

I felt that one boss from the WoD train dungeon summed up all of WoD. Lot of cool stuff going on, lots of neat detail, but but the boss itself is pretty easy, and when he goes down, the only thing he has to say for himself is "I didn't even try"

>That's what I do, Zoggosh, I think good.

>PUT A MUZZLE ON IT
>AH, GOOD IDEA SIR
>I DIDN'T MEAN THE CAT

Honestly that shit was the best group of lines, and I want those two fags to come back somehow, let the Ebon Blade get them for whatever reason.

>Hey, Koramar, we're back!
>I've noticed.

>it turns out that MU Koramar and Zoggosh joined the Horde and survived all 4 wars, and are now Statler and Walldorf-tier crotchety old men
>in BFA they rejoin the Horde navy for One. Last. Mission

Koramar was a big guy

>Hey, Koramar, do you think we can kill them all, I mean there's gotta be like a hundred Alliance dogs there, I do not think we will survive this one.
>Zoggosh, have you forgotten? I always thinked good, and we will oblige all these dogs in one shot.
>Aye, aye, sir!
>Zoggosh?
>Yes, Sir?
>It was an honor to fight with my first and best mate.

>OSTs
>Design, esp. draenei design
>Dungeons
>Yrel
>Saberon

I found yrel to e pretty lazily written actually. She is weak and has to be rescued a bunch and then has one cutscene where she has this really corny one-liner. Sky admiral rogers was much more of a badass as was admiral taylor

Yrel is about the worst character written next to Velen.
>I made a terrible choice
>I wouldnt join Sargeras crusade to defeat the void
>but now that hes dead, let us fight the void

>I wouldn't become a monster to fight monsters
>Bad choice

A blatant fucking waifubait and about half of her story is just missing. What was her point? Where she was going? She wasnt even the hero of the story, just one one-bit background character of the radiant awesomeness of the PC and his G A R R I S O N and an AU character on the top of that, meaning she would never get used again. Just why.

Wasn't her character arc stuff cut because time and people bitched about it on the forums making her look weak?

>not sacrificing everything
what have you given?

yep, she got cut because people hated her immensely and her accent, in fact by Hellfire Citadel pat deux she had no voiced lines anymore that I recall. And good riddance, I hated her to the point of nearly not getting flight just not to have to listen to her in shadowmoon.

I love whenever a demon hunter NPC says that shit to my Death knight, and I imagine him muttering, “My life, like, 3 or 4 times.”

I liked the RPG lore more, to be honest.

>Many assume the ogres are insensate brutes, liking nothing more than destruction. Ogres have changed since the days of the Horde, however, possibly also due to their freedom from the influence of demons. More cunning than most give them credit for, ogre tribes keep somewhat at a distance from the other races as they have built a civilization. Villages are established in foothills, allowing ogres access to plains and forested areas.

>The new civilization of ogres has somewhat of a patchwork quality to it. Tribes are experimenting with different approaches, observing the other races as they seek to find their own way. Some groups are nomadic, while others have started small agrarian communities. All hunt, either as a primary or supplementary source of food. While rivalries and conflicts occur, ogres place great stock in listening to elders and allowing moderation of disputes. There is a loyalty to the race and at least some respect for the other races, though ogre interests are always addressed first and foremost.

>Ogres value endurance and insight more than simple strength. As strong as they are, they know that something out there is always stronger. Rangers are common among ogres, combining skill with the knowledge of the land.

>Ogres test unfamiliar groups to determine their power and possible intentions. They try to avoid conflict, often by having ogre warriors make displays of aggression, smashing the ground and shouting at opponents, out of range of whatever weapons the opponents possess. As a last resort, ogres have some skill in formation fighting and will use a combination of charges and withdrawals to try to surround enemies. Ogres will throw spears at a distance in waves combined with the use of clubs, with possible magical support from ogre magi. When committed to a fight, these giants are completely dedicated, only breaking from an engagement if their leader commands it.

>Despite their size and ferocious appearance, ogres are curious about the wider world and often seek to spread a more positive understanding of ogre culture. At the very least, an ogre hero can gain resources and allies for her tribe.

WoD dropped all of that, though. And granted, it was a bit dubious ever since vanilla since most ogre tribes you encounter are hostile, but I liked the idea of many of them trying to reform after their Second War days, like the orcs.

that only applies if youre a forsaken death knight
>get killed by plague
>become mindless forsaken
>get liberated fight against the scourge
>get killed a second time and made a dk

that shit must really suck. I prefer my edgy faction of dumb memehunters

I want to play with her ears

Blizzard announces Vrykul and Ogres as playable Allied Races, and puts you in charge of the questline to unlock, their racials, and their other stuff (mounts, heritage armour, etc).

What do you decide on?

Vrykul:
You go to an obscure part of Arathi highlands to find a group of degenerate Tauren sized vrykul, call them Highlander human
Ogres:
You go to the barrens and ask Rexxar to have the Ogre clan he leads join the horde, he then promptly slaps you in the face and reminds you that they are already in the horde and the questline ends

Is Thrall still even alive?

Yes, Thrall is still alive. He just needed a sulk during Legion to get his head back in the game, which is why Nobundo was the main point of contact for shamans during that time. He's okay now and ready to jump back into international politics.

Didn't even bother to attend the Sylvanas dinner then, fuck him.

So are skinny/beefcake humans the answer to the Horde getting uncorrupted orcs? With the Zandalari joining the Horde, does that mean we'll finally see the other troll tribes join in, so we can have a proper troll Horde? I want my forest troll, dangit. Since vanilla.

[Spoiler]When will we get renegade eredar? I want a warlock with the swanky red skin and draenei casting animations [/spoiler]

CALM YOURSELF, ZOGGOSH.

STROMGARDE IS RED
RESIST

There is no Thrall only GO'EL GO'EL GO'EL GO'EL GO'EL GO'EL

"My father once told me the world was gonna roll me, I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed" -Jaina Proudmoore

I always preferred DK roleplay as more, ‘eternally exhausted from all the mortal’s petty bullshit’ to the ‘DK World Police!’ Meme. That being said, if not all the horsemen, I hope Nazgrim gets to do some things in BFA. I know nobody in Archerus will, but I can dream...

What are the odds that Thrall will only show up to show off his kid and turn them into the Horde’s version of Anduin? Also, do we have any info on the kid or did they leave it intentionally vague so they could do whatever they wanted later without shitting themselves

About nil, because that would mean having to portray orcs not being FIERCE, LOYAL and ANGRY. Ever notice that the only orcs left with any depth are old veterans who other characters can just brush off as has-beens?

Actually, what has Nazgrel been up to since BC? He was one of the rare not-old orcs who understood the value of restraint, so no wonder Kosak refused to do anything with him.

What is the most interesting bit of lore? (in your opinion)

Dunno why, but I find monstrous/corrupted nelves more appealing than regular nelves.

I kinda like the bit about the curse of flesh, E.G. that the majority of life is not supposed to be squishy, bloody, and dying of old-age and decay. I think it’s be cool if there was more of a clash between nature-god; old-god, and Titan-descended races.

On that topic, playing Alliance titanforged would be fucking sick

I assume he's still in Outland, basically being the orc in charge of all Horde operations on the "planet"

A few years ago I would've said the Titans, but their influence is in your face everywhere now. The most interesting non-BFA lore right now is the dragons dying out. The slow death of the dragon race is really weird, and doesn't make any sense to me from an in-game or narrative perspective. Why would Blizz kill off dragons, and why is it even happening?

>Why would Blizz kill off dragons, and why is it even happening?

Maybe someone high up (rightfully) hates Knaak. It's why they also killed off his self-insert.

>Why would Blizz kill off dragons, and why is it even happening?

they make good raid fodder

They’re probably killing off Dragons so that the rest of them can go mad and you can fight the corrupted bronze-Drakes again as they lose their mind and attempt to change the timeline again. Actually that might be a thing, since they had the whole ‘Death of Chromie’ thing and it’s kind of implied that the person trying to kill Chromie was the corrupted version of her. Also, if dragons die then Jaina can be cucked again when Kalecgos dies anti-climacticly and Kosak can jerk off to it.

Who dis?

I like the concept of the curse of flesh too but I think it's underutilized.
Why doesn't the curse of flesh infect infernals or abyssals?
Weren't there infernals during the war of the ancients?
Why are none of their fleshy descendants around today?

How the night elves originally tapped into magic use.

>like 5th thread in a row using some waifushit in the OP
Oh, how Warcraft threads always reveal the true nature of their fanbase.

That's just tg

Lurk moar

Please God not another WoD.

I think because whatever infernals took part in the war of the ancients were banished with the rest of the legion to the twisting nether or killed.
Unless you mean elementals, then fucked if I know, I'm don't quite remember the spawn of it, but the curse i think(?) came from Old God Corruption? so if there wasn't any interaction with the old gods, there wouldn't be a curse.

They killing the dragons because they were retarded since the start, made no sense with the world Metzen had in mind.

So are orcs supposed to have eyebrows or not?

check this to see that indeed they may or may not have eyebrows

FREEZE! WE GOT A RUNNER!

When the fuck is he coming back to bitchslap Bolvar?

Gladiator Stance Warriors.

A literal who, that only gets pushed because a handful of people need a mascot for their defunct faction of PROUD HUMAN FIGHTERS.

I'm serious. She's never done anything, doesn't have any good lines, doesn't even have a discernible personality. But because she's a questgiver from a kingdom whose entire lore consists of half a paragraph in a manual for a 23 year old game, people have been spamming her for a week now.

Spot fucking on.

Have a (you) because this shit is truth.

Doesn't matter. Deep characterization for an MMO of all things was a terrible mistake.

Been here for years, user. (;

>can't winky face properly
>emotes in first place
Lurk moar or kill yourself, I don't care which

Stromgarde is lame anyways.

Best kingdom is Alterac

I disagree.

Fucker didn't even go to Vol'jin's funeral.

F

Alteracbros, where we at?
Eat shit, Thoras.

Go join the Horde

Go suck Bolvar's dick more, we're on our own, instead of bowing down like Greymane or asking help to kill a troll and like 15 blood elves. You were always a disgrace and I know the victory won't last, Blizzard hates the Alliance and will rightfully keep shitting on it.

OUTTA MY WAY ALTERAC FUCKING SHITS

>The one irrelevant son of Lothar thinks hes threatening.
He doesn't even have a legitimate claim to anything.

I just realized something. These threads have been completely barren of goblins for weeks on end. No wonder they've been so boring lately.

at least he has a cool shield and sword

Come to think of it, didn't the RPG have a bit about goblins out-competing any rival group in their territory by breeding like rabbits?

Just when we were having nice threads here comes this Merchant, this, may Aiden Perenolde forgive me for uttering this word, a neutral vendor.

>paraphrasing Memri
Well I guess that highlights the kind of person who'd find extinct WC2 kingdoms interesting.

I would order beatings to cure you. But I am more ofn Arabian Nights fag in other places. I would adore an extremist religious militaristic nation, Alterac can be this, we just need a leader, one that will unite the Syndicate and the last few Alterac remnants.

>kind of person who'd find extinct WC2 kingdoms interesting
There are people who don't find them the most interesting pieces of Warcraft lore?

Goblinfags, the one race that actually sells anyone for a small profit.

The Syndicate? Those guys who were chumps to the Shadow Council and relied entirely on banditry? "Extremist religious militaristic"?

>goblin reading comprehension
Let me make it easier for you to read.
Quoting memri is commonplace for me, arab shit is fun to me, specially arabian nights. I wish we could remake Alterac into a militar cult, I dont know a way, but goddamn I wish we would make a comeback, storm Strom and Stormwind, I hate them both.

So really, you don't actually care about the lore so much as you want to project your pet memes onto it. Gotcha.

Goblins have drawn characterization from fucking Jersey Shore, you dont get to act like you are on this lore high horse.

Truth be told, I'm kind of neutral on goblins, and the playable version is an abortion. But people like green shortstacks, and at this point I'm desperate for something, anything, to break up the unrelenting tedium of "Human kingdom." "Human kingdom." "No, human kingdom!" "Human kingdom stronk!" ad nauseam. It's such a tiny part of the setting, but people have been spamming it for four fucking threads now.

I'm just tired.

In therazanes realm there earth elementals suffering from the curse of flesh, so it can affect them.

I mean, we could talk about orc clans and why the Blackhand clan is a failure.

had they remained true neutral merchants I would understand their way of living, having them on a faction was a mistake. I hate the Alliance in that they are the kind of guys that snitch on you, burn your home and tell you that you stained their boots and that you're going to jail until you repent.