/awg/ Alternative Wargames General

Sentai wargames(?) edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks, or people's homebrew wargames. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Ghost Archipelago, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, Beyond the Gates of Antares, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last Thread
Four factions have been shown off for the Confrontation Classic box. First is the Wolfen.

Other urls found in this thread:

crooked-dice.co.uk/wp/rules/7tv-2nd-edition/
shieldwolfminiatures.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=144
combatzonechronicles.net/cozoxb/orcsy.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Sorry, doc

What’s everyone’s current project?
Anyone writing any rules or homebrews for other rules?

>missed the kickstarter
Fuck. Now its too expensive.

Had the same problem with bushido and guild ball

Sup, Satan!
I didnt know you were in the hobby.

But yeah, I really wanted some of those delicious minis.

I just started following all these guys on kickstarter and twitter:

CMON
Raging Heroes
Reaper miniatures
Soda pop miniatures
Mantic

Who else would you recomend, for not losing any more nice kickstarters?

Well tabletop miniature or also board games?

For guild ball I believe they prefer indiegogo.
Infamy looks great but no book is coming.
Kensei does one quite regulary too.
Personally I don't follow any companies just go through a list monthly, or just check my regular new channels, though I can look what the list is later.

Wait, someone lists that for us?
Can I have the link for that?

Antimatter Games

Whos making the new Confrontation game?

Thanks, anons

I always felt that 7TV would work really well for sentai/kamen rider/toku in general games.

>7tv
Whats that?

crooked-dice.co.uk/wp/rules/7tv-2nd-edition/

Ruleset for doing pulp wargames themed around old British spy/tv shows.

You got me interested AND aroused.

Both!

>Reaper Bones
>WizKids D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures

Anyone else making cheaper miniatures like these two lines?

Day 1 spoilers

28mm?

Idk, but I Second this

Any non- miniature market or watstore you guys would recomend for getting mantics zombie horde?

GB can be really cheap with the 2ndary market (150 a complete team isn't terrible tho)

Sans Detour. Keep in mind the new Confrontation game is still a year away. We are only getting re-released rules and models for now.

Anything about Devourers?

They will get models in the Classic box set, and as with all of the existing factions will have new stuff with Resurrection.

Why would you want Relic Knights?
The miniatures are horribile, built with some sort of cheap PVC and the rules are confusing at best.

And I had really hoped that the 2nd edition rules would turn out better, but the beta is still a clusterfuck.

Because the minis look cute.

The artwork maybe, but the figures are about as low grade as they get.

Can anyone suggest any industrial/Napoleonic/Victorian spellcaster-looking types? Ideally fairly restrained rather than Malifaux style. I’ll resort to just converting civilians if needs be, but I’m pretty awful at sculpting anything.

Soda Pop/Ninja Division had to work hard to establish the game's poor reputation.

Even the ones from their newest kickstarter?

They are still doing single piece resin figures, so I will say yes until I see painted examples that prove otherwise. I would never trust Soda Pop when it comes to anything.

Where to buy Mantics horde of zombies?

I'm writing a homebrew... asking community a question: How rigid do you want themes to be in a 'bring any miniature' type skirmish game? Strong theme to be interesting, or generic to be inclusive of what one brings?

Also, what are people's thoughts about narrative mechanics between games in a minis skirmish campaign? Or Co-op?

If it's a "bring any mini", then I'd say absolutely freeform. My one problem with Otherworld is how the good/evil thing is handled. Just let people play whatever they want, and make a custom points system to let them make whatever they have minis for.

Idk what your game will be like, but here it goes:
Anons general thoughts:
>minis should share the same scale or avarage size

Not sure about the narrative. Will it be like a campaign or what?

Size restrictions will be in place for playability. Also using Infinity style silouette/Warmachine cylinders so people aren't penalized for poses.
Game would be a campaign skirmish in the same genre as Necromunda, but I'm thinking about how stories can be told between sessions. Part of what people love the most about those games is creating a narrative with their little mans.
Narrative mechanics would be like Kingdom Death's events, or Fallout the Board Game/Scythes's quest multiple choices.

Let the players decide, or make a fuckhueg database of random events, most of them without any actual effect, just some fluff ("Your group met a wandering merchant who had some interesting items. Your heroes browsed for a while, the henchmen drooled over some shiny artifacts, but eventually the merchant said "You buy something or you go away!" - and since his prices were insane even to your group, you let him go. Maybe one day you'll be able to afford that magical scimitar...")

From Mantic?

Ramshackle consistently deliver kickstarters on time and most of the time I've gotten more shit than I actually pledged for because Curtis is a cool dude and will just give you free shit because he feels like it.

He hasn't done one for a little while though.

Most places? Ebay has sellers, you can buy direct from Mnatic, etc.

Considering picking up a horde myself so I can do the Lichemaster campaign with some friends.

Yeah, but I wanted to get it for $40-42

You probably should have put that in your original post then, just saying.

Sorry

Have you looked at the Empire of the Dead/Dracula's America miniature lines? Northstar stock both if you want a place where you can browse through pictures.

You should be.

I keep hearing that Hobbit/LotR SBG is the best GW/FG system and one of the top wargame system at all. Is that true? Why is it so unpopular then? I have read through the AUJ rulebook and it seems to suffer the same problem as 40k 7th edition - too many rules that can be cut off with no harm to the system

I suppose it depends on the edition. Say if you stop considering at Return of the King, then comparison to 40k7e is frankly ridiculous. Can’t speak for current editions.
Also I guess it’s unpopular because it doesn’t have an evolving/supported setting. It’s just one setting with little room for manoeuvre.

Yes it is true.
It's unpopular because it's tied into a film series.
AUJ?

Is there anything other than the zombie horde from Mantic that is worthy taking a look at?

Their skellies are pretty gud.

Their goblins aren't bad, the demons are pretty good if you like their more cartoony look, Forces of Nature have some decent elementals and tree people and whether they're 'good' or not is debatable, but the underwater faction is definitely quite unique.

Also the Warpath/Deadzone stuff is mostly alright.

I feel like they put more effort into their Warpath/Deadzone range honestly. The big models are made out of made in the UK hard plastic as opposed to the Kings of War ones which are often resin or restic. It helps that the line is much newer as well.

Without a hint of hyperbole Relic Knights is the worst miniatures game I have ever played.

That's saying something. What's so bad about it?

It'slike the guy just suddenly shat the bed when he got to doing the heads...

I'm glad there are other folks repping Ramshackle and Curtis.
As a first ime customer making a small order (I wasn't even sure they were still alive at the time because I somehow didn't find their updated webstore), I think I probably got 160% of what I paid for, and it's all decent quality and decent characterful sculpts.

>Without a hint of hyperbole Relic Knights is the worst miniatures game I have ever played.
Also interested in why - I've heard "good ideas exectued not very well", and "far better before the re-write", but that's a long way short of "worst. game/ ever." territory.

>I think I probably got 160% of what I paid for, and it's all decent quality and decent characterful sculpts.

I will say his stuff used to have quite a lot of bubbling, but he seems to have gotten better. Considering his shit is pretty cheap I wasn't that bothered even at the time.

shit game with shit minis you didn't miss anything

I hear more people saying that Warmaster is the best GW ruleset

no

doesn't Open Combat already exist?

actually, make the theme pretty specific. this way, the player can choose from an obvious genre already represented in the mini market. best is to make it about 2 competing genres. or not.

they meant to say Necromunda Classic (insert zergface)

i played the fuck out of LotR SBG, and it is far from good.
i just loved for-tabletop merchandise.
i also have dice and RPG's for Tolkien-stuff.

what?

i own a faction...and i must agree. (i posted said pic anonymously last time)
holy shit,
the came works around a rotating card cycle, where you have to pay for EVERYTHING you do in matched energy. there is a rule around that but it ends up feelign like Kamehameha...so, this fast paced game is a bunch of guys queueing up mini's and then passing actions until they can draw better cards....

so, yeah, it...is a good concept, utterly ass in execution.

post more game reviews

Does anybody know of any good blogs that talk game analysis and reviews games?
Deltavector is the main one I know. Ivan sometimes posts stuff, but it's mostly related to his games.

Where are some good places to get underwater mats? Something like pic related but hopefully cheaper.

I try and do reviews on YouTube, but I've been careful not to shill myself here.

I did professional, freelance, game reviews for a few years. I want to do more, but it's hars to find people looking for that kind of thing.

Are you careful enough to not post link even when asked?
Cause I'm askin'.
Googling your name doesn't help. Perhaps unsurprisingly.

I generally try not to mention it around here. Never know when you'll run across that one user who gets on a vendetta. Last thing I need is some asshole spamming the channel with comments.

Ah, a defensive caution, not "don't want to look like an ad-spammer."
Ok.

Calling it now, LaBamba is Tom Vasel.

How can he be tom vasel when I am tom vasel?

Tom would never admit to being himself. You're probably Zee Garcia or the "Watch it played" guy.

I'd be keen on seeing some BMG batreps and content, just saying

I'll try to remember to take photos next time I play bats.

After anything in particular?

ahoy.
he's not Tom Vasel.

Frogmen.

>shieldwolf putting out female space marines
ayylmao

this post reads like something zee would say

Don't even play, user. pics or it didn't happen.

shieldwolfminiatures.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=144

... that's a sister of battle, dummy.

>em4's site is dying

So are the adorable cheap plastic orcs dead forever?

combatzonechronicles.net/cozoxb/orcsy.htm

Sort of both. I don't wanna shill my work all over the place, especially if people aren't interested, and don't want to incur the wrath of the anonymous community on Veeky Forums by looking like a self promoting douche.

God no, that guy's a bitch.

No idea who either of those are.

I hope to do some in the near future! I'm having some camera issue right now, but once those are worked out I'll be more inclined tobget all my shit painted so I can do some BatReps.

Just more content is welcome, I enjoy seeing other people's perspectives on the game

The website's dying, but if you go to their main page, it says you can still get the minis by emailing them. Seems to be a website update gone wrong.

Does anyone have mantic goblins? Can you post a size comparison with various GW figures?

Thanks

Because it's not 40k.

>God no, that guy's a bitch.
That's what Tom Vasel would say to hide his identity.

Finally got my bat rep pictures set up in their collages, got my notes sorted out, now to commence dump!

>Best GW system
By a wide margin, yes.

>Top wargame system at all
Eh. It's good, but it has it's flaws too.

>Why is it unpopular
Expensive and ugly miniatures, crap support and exposure from GW

I've seen them side by side, and they look roughly the same size. The big difference is that Mantic's are more hunched with longer faces.

Google wasn't super helpful in this.

I think Tom's too big a bitch to say the word "bitch."

Looking forward to it!

Mission was Old Grudge, to win this scenario you must kill the opposing army commander, game runs for 5 turns or until the end of a turn where a player loses their army commander, if the games ends after turn 4 and both players still have their commanders in play the player with their commander furthest away from their deployment zone gets 5 MP.

Secondary objectives were Experimental Tech for Dark Legion while Brotherhood had The Lamb, nominating the squad commander of the second Trooper squad. Armies were up to 1000 points, using the Standard OOC for force selection, we played the advanced deck rules though the game didn't run long enough for those to make an impact, well, for me at least. God damn fucking Visionaries and Eat This!...

Dark Legion army list.
Characters:
Praetorian Goliath; Bringer of Dark Tools, Rapid Deploy 120
Necromutant Leader; Bringer of Dark Tools. 50
Necromutant Leader; Bringer of Dark Tools. 50
Troops:
Necromutants; 5 mutants, heavy plague dealer. 110
Necromutants; 5 mutants, heavy plague dealer. 110
Praetorian Stalkers; 4 stalkers, Scythe of Semai HMGs, 2 Hindenburg Incinerators, Rapid Deploy. 260
Support:
Cable Marionettes; 6 marionettes, Cleansing of the Void. 135
Nasca Razides; 4 razides, 2 Ashnagaroth HMGs, 2 Nazgaroth anti tank rifles. 160

Brotherhood army list.
Characters:
Inquisitor Majoris Hanno Hamilkar; Adjusted Materiality, Dominion, Sacred Supremacy. 110
Roberto Feltordo; Sacred Supremacy. 50
Troops:
Brotherhood Troopers; 5 troopers, 2 scopes, Adjusted Materiality, Sliver of the Abyss. 101
Brotherhood Troopers; 5 troopers, 2 scopes, Adjusted Materiality, Sliver of the Abyss. 101
Inquisitors; 3 inquisitors, Might of Reckoning, Sacred Supremacy. 110
Support:
Visionaries; 10 visionaries, Holy Ground. 170
Fury Elite Guard; 2 guardians, Sacred Supremacy. 125
Light Vehicle:
Judicator Battle Walkers; 2 judicators. 230

Old Grudge turn 1

Game begins with the initiative roll off, with the Dark Legion(me!) winning the first activation. I decide to retain the initiative and my opponent declined to play a strategy card. Nasca Razides run forward for first activation, and in response trooper squad 1 advance into cover and try to cast Sliver of the Abyss(SotA from here on) at the Razides but were stymied by lack of range.

Cable Marionettes activate in stalk and move forward, Terry still unaware of his impending doom. Trooper squad 2 activate and climb up into the storage shed, 2 squadies fail their climb checks and fall, but make their armour tests. Necromutant squad 1 run forward to take cover behind shipping container, getting ready to pop out and support with covering fire and +st buffs from the Necromutant Leader joining the squad.

>shitty bases with a lip inside them

I never understood those, it just gimp'd basing potential while making your minis look distinctly like shit toys

Old Grudge turn 1, part 2.

Visionaries activate, pay the resource cost to use a Medal of Honour gear card and then cast Ghost Form on themselves before then running forward into cover(and certain doom). Praetorian Stalkers+Goliath activate in stalk and run forward(and I forgot to take pictures of their movements all game, whoops).

Judicators activate move forward, one judicator going on sentry the other stomping forward cautiously. Necromutant squad 2 run into the cover of the industrial ruins making ready to advance up later and engage the Visionaries.

I always found lipped bases better for basing. The lip keeps the basing material contained and makes it look more like a diorama.

Old Grudge turn 1 part 3

Inquisitor trio activate and advance into cover, finding themselves just out of range to try and spot the Marionettes in stalk. Meanwhile Hanno and his Fury Elite Guard move up into cover with the Inquisitor and troopers. In a mission like Old Grudge you want to keep your commander well protected. A pity then that Old Grudge doesn't allow for Infiltrate or Rapid Deploy deployments to be used, would have been a turn 2 victory for me instead.

No contact made, but the tension in the air is thick, once the bullets start to fly things are going to get bloody.

(Didn't have any other pictures for this turn, filled in blank space with chopped up cover art.)

Old Grudge turn 2

Brotherhood win initiative, DL plays a strategy card Inspired by Greatness(willpower bonuses when in range of friendly character, good to have against Brotherhood psychic shooting). Trooper squad 1 activates and Designated Marksmen troopers fire on the Nasca Razides but failing to wound with either. Squad Commander moves and attempts to drop a SotA on the Nasca Razides but failing to manifest it against them, the Dark Symmetry is strong today.

Marionettes moved up again, trooper squad 2 attempted to spot them but were out of range. Stalkers moved up again, no reveals. Judicators activate move up and reveal marionettes and firing off a burst of cannon fire which failed to kill any of the godless cable monsters. The second judicator spotted and revealed a blank stalker token but wasn't able to do more. Nasca Razides make their move, the Ashnagaroth HMGs both moved up and blasted at the troopers though failed to kill anyone, the Squad Commander and other Nazgaroth armed Razide take shots at the exposed Judicator and fail to penetrate the armour.

You can tell by the pauldrons, yes. And chestplate.