WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>Thin ya paints, ladz!
youtu.be/wxWgsqSf74s

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>This planet is *ours*, witch!
youtube.com/watch?v=7_b-qBTul44

>WIP's own 10-point painting scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

>Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2065413.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xwood paint bottle rack model .TRS0&_nkw=wood paint bottle rack model &_sacat=0
ebay.co.uk/itm/Table-Aran-Bandua-Wargames-Brand-New-in-Box-BA0000006/222860567327?hash=item33e386631f:g:I5kAAOSwb79alt1y
ebay.co.uk/itm/Wargame-Craft-Paint-Table-Station-Stand-Vellejo-A4-Size-for-painting-on-Lap/362194469559?epid=14011991579&hash=item54547902b7:g:BCIAAOSwySlaPml3
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

So my cheap-as-chips Russian 54mm orcs arrived; they cost me about 10 dollars; 3 dollars themselves but a bit more on shipping. Still, for me, about £7/8 for them is pretty decent going in my opinion.

They also arrived with a small catapult; it actually will work with a little spring for the wargame these are made for, but I might use it for goblins or something down the line.

And here we have the orcs; you could just use them as is, but I want to convert these things into looking more old school WHFB ogres. So I'm going to shave off the hair and sand it down and clip away the weedier looking weaponry; I've bought a bunch of cheap model trees from China so I can use the trunks as clubs.

And here's the first one nearly done; still needs a bit more clean up and trimming, but the initial work is done. The odd dark grey lines in them aren't the flash/mold lines, they're just the plastic they used. It cuts well and sands well though. And the large size makes cleaning these up pretty easy; easier than a 28mm miniature in many ways.

The Dark Elves aren't my paintjob, just waiting for their turn in the dettol.

I bought the Know No Fear starter set a few days ago, and now I've painted my first figures. The one to the left is my first and the one to the right my second.

I was really surprised how damn tiny these things are. A while back I saw some cool models here, much like the one in OP, and I thought it'd be child's play to paint them. But it doesn't feel that easy anymore, once you're holding a brush the size of a figure's head in your shaking hands with the paint quickly drying into uselessness.

Whats johnnys real name?
I need to find it on ebay and maybe recasts

And here's the back of this on and one of the problems with these sculpts; the weaponry is molded close to them in a lot of cases. I still need to trim down the bow a lot more, but thankfully I was planning on greenstuffing a jerkin on the back of them anyway; as well as adding trousers. I'll cover up the belt with part of the tree trunk and a simple sculpted pouch to hide the damage.

I think with a bit of luck and effort, these'll look pretty good; and for the price, I really can't complain.

Strip them and trim that flash.

>Strip them
What does that mean?

Take the paint off them. The paintjob isn't actually that bad for your first one but I can see mold lines, bits of sprue, etc on those miniatures and that looks ugly as fuck.

So get something that'll take the paint off and not melt the plastic, get a hobby knife and some jewellers files and go over the miniature removing those mold lines and bit of sprue. Also get some plastif cutters so you're not twisting them off the plastic.

>Take the paint off them.
Nah, I have eight more of those. I can file them, but I don't bother repainting these.

Very interesting. Are you me? I have a similar interest in toys like this and old monopose plastics like the Dark Elves and the Heroquest stuff in the the background.

>Whats johnnys real name?

When Aly Morrison and the Citadel ladz sculpted the second round of beekees, they had a bit of fun and named the sculpts after the cast of the 1960's Batman serial. Johnny was named after Yvonne Craig (Batgirl), so he's "Brother Craig". He doesn't show up in Citadel's blue 1990 catalogue like the others do, though, so if he ever had a "real" name and part number, I've never found out what it is.

>I need to find it on ebay and maybe recasts

Good luck. On eBay, I use this search string:

(oop,"rouge trader","rogue trader",metal,vintage) ("space marines","space marine","blood angels","blood angel","space mariens","blood angles") -chaos -epic -atax -kenner -ccg -maelstrom -cryomek -grendel -void -vasa -dirtside

... and limit my search to the UK or the US. Haven't seen a Johnny for sale there in a while. If there's an Oldhammer Facebook group that serves your country or in your native language, you might have better luck there.

Mordian update.
Added 3 Bullgryns, MordiaNork and started their Chimera transport.

WIP of my newest bug, i call him the 'Think tank'

I'm not sure if you can see whats going on, but I jammed 1/3 a neurothropes torso into the tyrant's neck socket

What'cha watching?

I need a full new set of brushes. Any suggestions (UK)?

My old blue Citadel Standard/Detail/Fine Detail-era stuff is irritating me to use. They've lost their points and too many bristles now.

As well as smaller brushes, I'd probably need "standard" or "medium" sized brushes too, and ones suitable for drybrushing.

I don't want top quality £20 each brushes, just something of a workable set.

That's terrifying: mission accomplished
What will the supporting dowel be done up as?

Best shot i could get.

How'd i do anons?

First mini

I bought a load of Chinese KiWarm brushes for €4, they're actually holding up pretty well so far

Only problem was they took over a month to arrive

To clarify, they're sable nail art brushes but work well

The only things missing are flat brushes for dry brushing and base-coating properly

Warcolours do reasonably priced brushes, took about a week for them to ship to UK since they're based in Cyprus

No flash when you take a pic user. Never.

And watch Duncan's tutorial for those, it'll be damn useful.

Kudos for pinting in the lines.

Ghetto wet palette of parchment paper on damp paper towels in a small tupperware
y/n?

Isn't that what everyone uses?

yea.

from what I can see it looks pretty good

Good eye to spot the heroquest miniatures. I'm going to try making some casts of them to sprinkle into a few planned armies in the future, adding a few of them into regiments of old-school looking stuff.

And yeah, there's something about the monopose plastics that just clicks for me. I've got a 35 strong Dark Elf force made out of the old monopose plastics that I'm currently preparing (first load are being stripped at the moment) and I'm consdiering doing Chaos using the old plastics and the 80s metals as i slowly collect them. Things like these toy orcs as well.

My main project at the moment is an army of Lund dwarves (mostly the plastic em4 stuff though I've also got various metals and such in there as well). I originally bought them because they were cheap and little else but they've really grown on me, as has that old fashioned style. And for races like dwarves, elves and to a lesser degree humans, monopose makes sense; most of the time they'll be ranked up regardless.

Catching up on altered carbon

I havent thought that far yet. Either a clear rod/black brass rod or a wire strategically drilled up the tail (I've done it before. Its a pain, and i'd rather not, but im just saying it's possible)

Seems perfect for some sort of imperial architecture with a cowering guardsman - as if the Nid has just come around cover to prey on a poor unfortunate

I've had mine for about 3 or 4 days and there's some white furry stuff growing on the inside of the lid.

I'm trying out a new way to make grated floors. I'm a bit concerned about the strength of it. the (PVA) glue is drying so I can't test it yet.

What alternatives could I use? I'm considering hotglue as an alternative.

Been working on some GSC for a while. Not the greatest photo, but honestly what do you guys think. Maybe I'm overtly critical of myself but I feel like they are missing something.

the weapons could use a second color for some of the details, otherwise good job

Well, I tried, but it is quite noticeable that I'm not that good had handling the airbrush, or properly dealing with the models surfaces. Highlights are not always in position and the transitions aren't that great. Also did basecoat and first highlight to the flesh.
And I really have to find a better way to prop this model up for pictures.

I also put together the catapault quickly; haven't cleaned it up. It could work as a gobbo war machine.

What purple is the highlight?

They're good, but they need a brighter focal point. I reccomend either the lights, helmets or guns

mix of violet with basic flesh followed by a mix of violet with golden skin.

forgot, all of those are scale 75 colours

user, that is mold. You need to throw that shit out and clean the container with bleach immediately

I use a pad for ink stamps (with parchment paper). Works great, still very cheap.

Wewlads I painted another dumb wee gobbo.

>over 1000 hours in ms paint for those sick FX.

Fukin sick, done any more night gobbos?

>tfw Savageanon will never be your bride

why live bros

Only a metric arse-tonne of bloodbowl goblins my dude.

You'll want to sculpt over/replace that padlock he's using as a belt buckle; it's got to be the size of someone's fist at 54mm.

Now *that's* snazzy!

I intend to; probably going to use some small shields I have for the belt buckle or a skull or something like that.

I want to get started on mini painting so bad, but i don't have any friends or a lgs. What do?

>but i don't have any friends or a lgs
why would you need those for painting? You need those for gaming.
If you just like painting stuff you can do that on your own.

I want a finished army so I can play with my friends, but I can't be bothered to paint the hundreds of models I've bought.

an unpainted mountain of minis can be intimidating.
But most decent sized armies - unless you play a horde army - hover somewhere around 50 miniatures, I'd say.
So if you think of the 50 you need instead of the hundreds in your backlog it's a lot more manageable.
If you paint 10 minis a month you could have your army done in five month. That sounds a lot less scary.

Dammit, Recaster!
Make us some johnny already!

Where can I get cheap generic fantasy miniatures to learn how to paint?

Bones or Wiz-Kids DnD minis

>Wiz-Kids DnD
Where sells them for a good price?
Not same user, btw

Why don't you try converting a regular beakie into a johnny while waiting?

Finally getting around to working on my Light Tank Company. 9 Chaffee light tanks ready for priming, just need to add the pintle MGs.

Does anyone have that guide to taking photos of minis somewhere?

or alternatively just take a photo inside of your fridge

I think it's sturdy enough. Here's a mockup og how the whole platform will be.

The Army Painter mega box is really really good if you're looking for a whole new set of brushes. £30 on amazon.

pic related, it's the set....

w a r c o l o u r
get you some cheap as dick sable

Wip of my white scars rhino. Rescue kit of an UGLY recast deimos, lots of putty, already way too thick primer of some kind that refuses the simplegreen treatment. I just said fuck it and resprayed on a simple camo pattern. Using old ig tank bits for a more tacticool look, about to get cracking on details. Will update with progress.

>Implying the majority of Veeky Forums has friends or actually plays games

Holy gloss, batman

Thanks my man!

:-/

How are the colors? I have several gaps in my collection and the mega pack looks like a good way to get everything I need and more while spending not that much more than I would buying single pots.

I've had a few of them as singles and they have been good, nice strong pigments. Only downside is they are very thick out of the bottle so need some proper thinner/medium when on the palette and they really benefit from having an agitator in them.

That mega paint set is an absolute steal, been thinking about grabbing it myself. The AP washes are really good too.

Make sure you go for the v3 mega paint set though, it's the most up to date version although it seems to be OOS atm so they might be getting ready to re-do it again

Working on the base while waiting for the green stuff to settle, then I'll have to cut to shape and fix up the waistcloth.

Ideas for changes or additions?

Looks like some poor sod from Dark Souls got into too much dragon worship

>Does anyone have that guide to taking photos of minis somewhere?

It was in the last thread:

Play Swordplay and other Two Hour Wargames stuff; it has rules for soloplay.

Think I finished the skin, might revisit a bit once the rest is done. Just started blocking in colour for the hair, clothes and beads. Don't know what colour to paint the ferrero rochers on the sides of her head, maybe try a NMM?
>Tfw you actually manage to paint shadows and reflections that look like shadows and reflections

Good to see you posting,
so impressive.

I think maybe chill out slightly with the wash. Some pooling is useful but when you really slop it on it can dry in ways that don't look like shading. I think to finish them just go in and re-highlight some of the whites and yellows.

Definitely good for a first go. Practice highlighting and tidy up the base rim.

This. Get 30 miniatures or a single regiment. Put the other ones away into a cupboard for now. Work on them and then get them done. Then go for the next. I started my army by preparing 36 miniatures in three units for this one game. Now I'm halfway through painting 85.

I just bought it myself. Really solid paints. Love them a lot and the price is decent enough. i do want those citadel washes though.

I hope they don't. I just bought one off ebay.

WIP on my dwarves; got the flesh and beards done, just drybrushing the metal on. Might skip the wash and highlight for the metal depending on how they look when finished.

fuckin'hell but I am slow.
Also struggling to put some serious hours in the hobby...work's killing me.

Anyway, should I exagerate some more with the top highlight (white) or is this enough?

Love that blue, was that by hand or with an airbrush?

Generally speaking for this scale of model more contrast is better.

Thanks.
5 very thin coats of progressively lighter blue.
brush only, I have no airbrush (but anyway I suppose it is a little bit too small to use an airbrush on it)

On the head only?
Do not want to over do it

You took a model I thought I inherently hated and found a way to make it look great. Glad to see your stuff again!

Infinity bounty hunters, for variety's sake painted only with shades. Orange is meant to create something of an unifying theme between the otherwise individualistic mercenaries.

I hate the model, but I like the paintjob

Who makes the best paint/hobby station Veeky Forums?

It has been almost 10 years since I have played wargames and I wanna get building and paintin again.

I don't have the luxury of a single place I can leave my shit at all the time so I need a paint/hobby statino I can easily lift and move to a shelf or somewhere if I am not painting/building.

ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2065413.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xwood paint bottle rack model .TRS0&_nkw=wood paint bottle rack model &_sacat=0

Take your pic; things have got a lot better; all of these are about 10 quid or so and they work fine; hold together perfectly well and store paints nicely.

What's a good vallejo color for blue-black? Something kind of like FW Corvus Black or SW Tire Black?

Amazing work as always. How is the job at FW going?

Kinda want one that is more tableish. As in a platform to work on along with storage.

Nearly as cute as you

ebay.co.uk/itm/Table-Aran-Bandua-Wargames-Brand-New-in-Box-BA0000006/222860567327?hash=item33e386631f:g:I5kAAOSwb79alt1y

ebay.co.uk/itm/Wargame-Craft-Paint-Table-Station-Stand-Vellejo-A4-Size-for-painting-on-Lap/362194469559?epid=14011991579&hash=item54547902b7:g:BCIAAOSwySlaPml3