Why are Witch Hunters always portrayed as bad guys?

Seriously the only setting I have seen that shows Witch Hunters are a good thing is Warhammer Fantasy but even in that setting witch hunters still have a few bad apples like "USING HERBS TO TREAT A HEAD ACHE? TO PYRE WITH YOU!!!!".

I understand that real life Witch Hunters were big idiots and retarded but how come even in settings where witches exist you still get witch hunters going full BURN EVERYTHING and are overall being big dicks about everything while magic users are always in the right.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vH2tNXeShpI
forums.fatsharkgames.com/t/elfs-lines-need-completely-rewriting/17207/28
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_Christianity
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because misunderstood magic users are the number one group autistic turbo-nerd pariahs identify with.

Maybe wearing a trench coat adorned with skulls and filled to the brim with over 20 hand guns gives off an uneasy feeling? I don’t know that’s just me

T.Wiccan

Uh, I'm not sure I have the broadest experience, but the only settings I've seen with any witch hunters as good guys are also ones where the witches/whatever are frequent victims of demonic possession? And there are bad apple magic users too.

I'm not sure I'm making my point quite right, the thing is that magic-users are human, serial killers are not good guys, and human groups ALWAYS have bad apples.

Because the typical portrayal of witch hunters is a zealot who does not use logic or sound reasoning to pas judgement.

They are the embodiment of "let god sort them out" nevermind the fact that inquisitions and such were used to get rid of ones enemies and all you have to do is go

>Hey, that person is a witch, I can feel them affecting me even now and they keep odd hours into the night

bam, you get spit roasted over an open fire and some girl figures out it make her feel all tingly in her panties.

They aren't? Irl there's plenty of examples of witch hunters portrayed as the good guy, van Helsing is probably the most notable, or Constantine.

They are always portrayed as being hard asses tho, because they have to be.

t. she-elf

van helsing isnt really a witch hunter, hes more of a monster slayer

Yeah. I don't understand it at all.

I know this is Veeky Forums and we could go on and on about subclasses til the end times. But van helsing and Constantine were created by normies, so they're basically just generic witch hunters

Veeky Forums, can you tell me about the Witch Hunter who banned using hammers for construction again?

No-one likes a narc, excepting fellow jackboots.
Also, for some reason most people IRL have the strong impression that witch trials were about persecution and propping up the church's authority rather than actually driving out the Brides of Satan.

>I understand that real life Witch Hunters were big idiots
Yeah, I think that might be it. I mean, you don't ask yourself why nazis are constantly portayed in a bad light in fiction, right?

Try Witch Hunter: The Invisible World. Witch Hunters are the good guys and all the horrible supernatural shit is real.

>real life Witch Hunters were big idiots and retarded
This itself is a meme. The Crucible is not an accurate take on history.

Yeah, I've seen Robert Howard's Solomon Kane called a witch hunter, but he's really a general monster hunter. (And he's friends with an African shaman to boot.)

Honestly, straight-up witch hunters tend to be bad guys in fiction for similar reasons that they are in real life: doing a whole lot more harm than good.

>pic
literally the opposite though, people are making threads about how the elf banter is too much on the fatshark forums because they can't handle it

>Witch Hunters are the good guys and all the horrible supernatural shit is real.

We need to thank the church and their men for saving our asses during the dark ages. Weird fucked shit was going on back there, the dead were rising for Christ's sake.

The *personal details* in The Crucible are wrong, but the Salem trials happened. They was a bit of an anomaly though, so try looking up Kramer and Hopkins instead-- they were both self-professed witch hunters and both *seriously* bad dudes.

Who knows how much innocent proud Druids/Wiccans/Pagans/Shamans you monsters have burned and or killed. I despise any form of media painting these savages in a good light.

And nothing of value was lost.

>Innocent pagans
Don't be oxymoronic.

youtube.com/watch?v=vH2tNXeShpI

Well... just in Europe? Probably none. By the time the witchhunting craze hit, almost everyone on the continent was Christian, Jewish or Muslim.

You can't be serious lol. Lithuania and poland would like a word

Oh? I knew there were some remnants way up northeast, but I didn't think they were a large percentage of the population. Was I wrong?

Due to the hysteria and mis-information attached to RL Inquisition types.

Before protestantism became a thing, there were no witches. At least not as recognized by the church. Then there was the bit where both parties would get tortured if it did come to that but it rarely did.

Then there was a ton of English propaganda about the Spanish and their conversions of the natives that made it worse.

So if you were making a setting I'd use a group of officially sanctioned Witch Hunters who are professional and damn good at their jobs but have another half dozen groups which are vigilantes and range from decent to little better than bandits.

Everything you know about Inquisitors are just british/protestant lies
Real life Inquisitors were actually nice guys who didn't give a shit about witches, they were too busy hunting jews and muslims

In fact the Inquisition were the first guys to create the idea that someone accused of a crime has a right to a attorney to defend them

No, everyone is complaining that shitters pick elf because of the health regen and never bother to learn how to play

especially when they pull shit like this

>In fact the Inquisition were the first guys to create the idea that someone accused of a crime has a right to a attorney to defend them
Modern trial is called inquisitorial trial not without a reason. Adversarial trial while great for civil law is shit for penal one.

Also if someone thinks that renaissance Inquisition was brutal he should first read about how inhumane "secular proceedings" were

They were the last European countries to turn Christian, and were subsequently slaughtered by the teutonic knights

>times of Teutons
>Poland not catholic
Your history have failed you user.

Real life inquisitors didn't give a shit about witches, mostly because they thought they didn't exist

Here's the argument they had
>Devil is a fallen angel
>being an angel he is a being with power granted by God
>a Witch trades her soul to the devil for magic to commit evil
>Witches are using God's power to commit evil
>Ergo witches cannot exist since you cannot use God's power to commit evil

Ah... the usual story, but later than I realized. Thanks for informing me; the northeast doesn't get a lot of attention post-vikings, even in college-level courses, so I'll have to try and remedy that gap when I get some spare time.

He was executed after attempting to drive a nail into wood with a T shaped pair of boards?

So much this

Kind of makes me want to play in a setting where some church organization got together and actually destroyed magic and supernatural things in the past, leaving us in a modern setting with only the most sparse remnants still around, but always with the threat it could return. People would probably function just like they do now and chalk up the old stories to fairy tales.

Isn't that kind like oWOD?
Where it was a group of other wizards, not church but still technocracy made magic into predictable laws of rigid science that creates our modern world.

The WHF book "Witch Hunter" trilogy was pretty good about having a semi reasonable dude just trying to stop evil.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

In most settings, magic isn't inherently evil, so witch hunters are defined as people who ruthlessly hunt down other humans due to something they don't like. A witch hunter isn't generally just a professional in the ways of hunting down and killing/imprisoning magic users, they're someone with an ideological bone to pick with magic users.

Also, imagine how you'd see witch hunters if you lived in a fantasy world. You're thirteen and you suddenly realize you can make sparks shoot from your fingertips. Immediately, you remember that time when you were seven and you saw a witch hunter from the capital dragging away a girl roughly the same age you are now for something similar. You'd be shitting bricks.

> how much innocent

Figures a witchaboo'd be illiterate.

Lel

t. soy libcuck

Dont forget the candles and holy seals every where such a fashion disaster!

Wiccans did not exist prior to the 60s, Druids practiced human sacrifice of slaves (and all Druids were male, btw), and pagans ruined Roman civilization.

>Poland one of the last European nations to turn Christian
And now they're one of the last European Christian nations. Well, well, well, how the turntables.

Yes
forums.fatsharkgames.com/t/elfs-lines-need-completely-rewriting/17207/28

also check /v/ and Veeky Forums threads where people get seriously buttrustled for being called mayflies and lumberfoots, it's hilarious

>these historical examples of this really narrow trope were pretty stupid
>so the fantasy examples of this really narrow trope are pretty stupid

Gee, I wonder why witch hunters aren't portrayed too well. If a trope is so narrow that they can be boiled down to "like the Inquisition, but..." then you're not going to get a lot of imagination out of them. They serve no purpose to the story other than to be spergs.

That and everyone wants to be a wizard. Pair that with how, from a writing perspective, everyone loves a persecuted hero who rises above it, and you have the outrageously audience-biased trope of a persecuted but noble wizard.

Because it is easy to write and a archetype. One of the Reasons because I liked Eisenhorn, he was a cruel as all Inquistors are, yes, but not without reason, he focused his hate, instead of going wild.
The Shit with the Tech-Priest was fucking retarted, I give you that.

Literally, in a Setting I play (TDE to be precise) the Priests of the God of Sun/Order are allways portrayed as conservative old grumpy man or lunatics, although most of their gods chosen talents are social skills and they actually make way more sense beeing charismatic. I guess, it stemps a bit from this old "Church is allways Evil" Clishee. I mean, is there one Ministorum Cleric in BL Books, that is reasonable and wise?

Have another (you) for the good laugh.

>witch hunters still have a few bad apples like "USING HERBS TO TREAT A HEAD ACHE? TO PYRE WITH YOU!!!!".
Because actual people died over dumb bullshit like this so their neighbors could get some land. The term "Witch Hunt" irl means a pointless campaign against someone who holds unorthodox views.

ahahahahahah

>why is a person in warhammer mean?
twats

They put my account on hold for replying with this pic

guess they just cant handle the bants

Do you honestly want to keep hearing an irish wood elf scream LUMBAH FOOT AND MAYFLIES all the time

as much as I want to hear an irish person scream anything

but at least the elf isnt friendly

Kerillian was a mistake.
then again, it's like Sienna who really likes to call everyone else "darling" in the second one. The only difference is that Pyromancer players aren't cancer

She did it all the time in Vermintide 1 and I got on just fine. And that game isn't even three so I guess I wasn't imagining it when I wondered if people was getting whinier and more obnoxious at a faster pace than ever. Politics was a mistake.

I hate you for exposing me to this cancer

its like these people dont understand what warhammer is, and get offended that its not very pleasant

Sorry about that, but I had to expose it to prove a point

I know, but unlike here I cant call them faggots

well, I can- but they wont see it

They aren't. They're purely Lawful Good people just don't like it when they find themselves on the wrong side of the Law is all. Any and all complaining of this dynamic at best requires exorcism or at worst the pyre as per Article 6 Paragraph 3 and Article 9 Paragraph 73,927.

It's cute, so sure.

Elf players are generally shitters who I hate, but that's not really the character's fault.

Have you ever looked up the phrase in real life?

This. Most setting tend to be pretty close to our own world. And in our world, a witch hunter is a huge jackass.

To not make a witch hunter a huge jackass is to make some dramatic departures from our world.

Because in grim and gritty settings they're an easy-peasy symbol of corrupt power that requires little to no thought to execute.

>burger education
witch hunter craze was more common in protestant lands
in the times of witch hunts, lithuania (the nation who clinged to pganism the longest) was either starting or finishing christianisation, depending on which century you talk about
by then poland was chrsitian for over half of millenium
also polish-teutonic wars weren't about fighting pagans

>believing the witch diversion and division propaganda
To the pyre with you!

But Mathias Thullmann is not a bad guy and considering Warhammer Fantasy, (near) everything Witch Hunters do is justifiable. Though in some cases he sees that he does feel bad for stuff like burning a little girl on a stake because the physician he's gunning rubbed a poultice on her that resulted in a hideous fly-like mutation.

T. Chaos Cultist

i did not condemn with hunts you illiterate, just told these morons where they were made

but what if we want to fuck monsters?

>continuing to believe witch diversionary tactics and divisive propaganda
To the double pyre with you!

he also gives her a shot of strong alcohol so she feels no pain

A whole bottle to boot. Needless to say he's still not happy about burning her.

But the autistic turbo-nerd pariahs want to be the enforcers of a highly conservative and religious society in which they get to murder people for being weirdos and spout deus vult memes

That's what the Monstergirl thread is for, user.

It takes a man to kill a monster and my duty means I have killed many. I need no further proof of my humanity.
It takes a man to fuck a monster and my duty means I have fucked many. I need no further proof of my humanity.

One monster to fuck another, One-eye!

>Pagans ruined Roman Civilization.

You w0t m8? That falls Squarely at the hands of the Christians.

because they are usually set upon being a witch hunter base off of something bad/tragic in their past that makes them hunt witches/monsters/all forms of higher level of evil
they are kind of like bounty hunters, seen as bad or a 'necessary evil' that usually ends up doing bad (as viewed by society) to do good
for instance, necromancy is viewed as bad. but the typical necromancer (PC) will usually fall into the 2edgy4u kind of role or will end up just being grimdark-ish (if we are just talking about dnd here). HOWEVER, that character will usually be doing grey-ish type of stuff but will ultimately be on the side of good. so they may do bad things (or things seen as bad or a**hole-ish) but will ultimately do good. and i dont just mean in the long run, but also in the short.

tldr; they are assholes who get shit done but piss people off because those people are either pussies or feel like they are being told they suck at doing their job (aka, most employees at OnTrac)

Nigger, what? The barbarians that sacked Rome were pagans, and that's likely what he meant. Sure, Rome was Christian at that point in time, but it had been so for more than a hundred years without a problem. You can chalk the weakening leading to destruction up to an infinite degree of factors aside from religion; if anything, it was right on time for Rome to collapse given the usual lifetime of civilizations.

Well, Western Rome died off. Eastern Rome lived on for a hell of a lot longer.

Depends on which sacking you're referring to, but the sacking of Rome that leads to the fall of the Western Roman Empire was done by Christian Goths.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_Christianity

>The Barbarians who sacked rome were pagan.

No they weren't. It was the Goths, who have long since been Christian, who did the sacking that fractured the Empire.

But it was Christanity that caused the weakening leadership and the rapid degradation of the Roman Educational infrastructure.

>t. Actual autistic turbo-nerd pariah

A pagan empire, being destroyed by rampaging Christian hordes btw.

Rome was very Christian by the time it fell, it left Greco-Roman Paganism by the wayside long before it died.

The goths aren't the rampaging Christian hordes I'm talking about, user. Roman peasants taking up the book are.

You mean "Was forced to destroy it's history to satisfy the wailing of zealots"

When you say "always" I assume you refer to witch hunters in 40k and wh fantasy, where the whole appeal of them is that they are religious zealots with a lot of power they get to abuse and to be morally gray or evil characters but in the universe they inhabit, the creatures they kill are even more evil. In pretty much everything else they're the good guys.

>also polish-teutonic wars weren't about fighting pagans
but it was about the pagans in latvia and lithuania, right?

I would read up on this if anyone has a link to a good site.

Solomon Kane.

>He never sought to analyze his motives and he never wavered, once his mind was made up. Though he always acted on impulse, he firmly believed that all his actions were governed by cold and logical reasonings. He was a man born out of his time — a strange blending of Puritan and Cavalier, with a touch of the ancient philosopher, and more than a touch of the pagan, though the last assertion would have shocked him unspeakably. An atavist of the days of blind chivalry he was, a knight errant in the somber clothes of the fanatic. A hunger in his soul drove him on and on, an urge to right all wrongs, protect all weaker things, avenge all crimes against right and justice. Wayward and restless as the wind, he was consistent in only one respect — he was true to his ideals of justice and right. Such was Solomon Kane.

Shit is tricks yo'

Solomon Kane, and his signature artifact, Solomon's Cane.

The goths that sacked Rome were Christan, and they sacked it because reigned on its promises to resettle them in exchange for military service against the Empire's enemies. Protip: always pay your mercenaries.

The man spends about 75% of this time hunting undead, witches, minorities or some mix of the above and is one of the most egalitarian pulp heroes of the era he was born into.
He's a protector of the innocent, regardless of if he is like them, which is what keeps most 'witch hunter' types from being portrayed as good, in fact part of his arc is being a Zealot and finding no evidence of god, but plenty of proof of the opposite and it's doubly impressive given he was a contemporary of Tarzan and Lovecraft
His shaman friend got this fantastic little speech once:

>My blood-brother,” said N'Longa, discarding his pride in his pidgin English, to drop into the river language understood by Kane, “I am so old that you would call me a liar if I told you my age. All my life I have worked magic, sitting first at the feet of mighty ju-ju men of the south and the east; then I was a slave to the Buckra and learned more. My brother, shall I span all these years in a moment and make you understand with a word, what has taken me so long to learn? I could not even make you understand how these vampires have kept their bodies from decay by drinking the lives of men. I spoke to you in dreams, and I made a deep sleep come over the souls of Kran and of Zunna, and remove them to a far dim land, whence they shall soon return, unremembering. All things bow to magic, blood-brother. and beasts and birds obey the master words. I worked strong voodoo, vulture-magic, and flying people of the air gathered at my call. These things I know and am a part of, but how shall I tell you of them? Blood-brother, you are a mighty warrior, but in the ways of magic you are as a little child lost. And what has taken me long dark years to know, I may not divulge to you so you would understand. My friend, you think only of bad spirits, but were my magic always bad, should I not take this fine young body in place of my old wrinkled one and keep it? But Kran shall have his body back safely.

Are you ready kids?
I can't hear you!

Who wanders through Europe in puritan days!?
SOL-O-MON KANE!
Whose sword arm is nearly as strong as his faith?
SOL-O-MON KANE!
When demon and alien threaten our souls
SOL-O-MON KANE!
Who'll banish them back to their infernal holes!?
It's Solomon Kane!

Are there any other settings with good witch hunters?

Witch Hunter was a good book wish they made more