MTG Commander/EDH General

YOU CAN'T KILL ME, I'M ALREADY DEAD edition

Last time on /edhg/: RESOURCES
>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question
What's your favorite colour combination, and do you run any particular cards you find thematic for it?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kt-enchantment-stax/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mathas-control-v1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rhys-feat-dudes/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-12-17-meren-wip/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rube-boshberg-machine/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/26-02-18-damia-control/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/vroom-vroom-ramos/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

For some reason I always drift towards enemy colors. Orzhov, Izzet and Golgari are my personal favorites. Athreos, Locust and Gitrog are probably my favorite decks.

Is Athreos any fun? I built Ayli back at the EM prerelease, but I find it very difficult to actually win the game in WB. Like, you have access to all this good hate tech, but very few ways to close out the game.

Same. Ally colors always end up feeling like a dominant color and its sidekick whereas enemy colors to me feel like partners in crime doing stuff they shouldn't.

I like dimir and gw
but I always end up playing 5c I don't really like playing without counterspells or enchantment removal I also don't really like any shard commanders for some reason
Yeah I'm way too picky

Trolls are always different, yet when I look at Thrun I think he doesn't look like a troll.

He looks more like a frog.

Could image swap user do a gitrog with Thrun as the picture?

>Dimir
My invisible brother from a mysterious mother. Objectively the best colour combo for absolute sadists.

I've never seen metamorphosis before and I've been playing for at least a few years
This is why edh is fun

Gruul is my first love but goddamn I've been getting a kick out of Golgari lately.

>simply, run

I agree with and enemy colours are loads of fun, and I find you can make a nice deck that works and is pretty flavourful.
My favourite has to be brown though, Karn 4 life

Reminder to call any Simic players fedoralords and and Selnesya players faggots from this point on.

I'll be honest- he is not that good. BUT- I love his look, and the flavor he brings to my reanimator deck makes me forgive him. I win a lot of games where I don't even cast him, and he does get in the way of some living death shenanigans at times- I often have to sac him first. I do like to swap commanders depending on the playgroup though. Kambal for heavy blue, Ayli when competitive as hell. Athreos was one of my first commanders though, and I will always love him and have him as the flagship of my orzhov deck.

>Reminder to call any Simic players fedoralords and and Selnesya players faggots from this point on.
Silly user, you can only do this after 10pm, or when the thread has hit the bump limit.

Nothing is more dimir than playing a "bad" commander with a vintage powered deck behind it
Heh nothing Personnel

>Selnesya players faggots
We've been nothing but cordial to you
What the heck man

So between Attrition an Altar of Dementia in Meren, which is more generally useful? Altar can always accomplish something, whereas Attrition can't always blow something up, and isn't free either. But Attrition can synergise well with Butcher of Malakir and Grave Pact, blowing up one of my green things to get more than one creature off each of my opponents boards. Thoughts?

Gruul and temur. I love beating face but also love to play blue every now and then. Trying to branch to rakdos and the color black with get and either rakdos or murder king

Holy shit, I literally do this. Are you me?

Fuck, I didn't realize he looked so cool. Thanks user, you've given me inspiration. Maybe I'll built him as an autistic stax deck that has nothing to do with him. You're a cool guy buddy.

If Karador user is still here I hope I helped.
Sorry for bullying you with the branchman.

It's a gayposting meme you sissy fuck
sounds like someone lost the key to your chastity cage

>thread q

I like any color with black

>my face when I find a seldom used commander with black in it that is actually good
>also, my dick when

Autistic deck advice user here:

Post your list, I'll give you 2000-4000 characters of overly detailed advice.

Help with Mana base
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kt-enchantment-stax/

Is this ok for a semi comp environment
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mathas-control-v1/

>Thread Question: Which commanders would you like to see in the COmmander Anthology 2? Which 4 decks would pair against each other well?

Bruse Tarl, and some of the other partner commanders

Would like to see partners reprinted

help out this nerd

>help with manabase
Do you mean mana fixing or lands? I have little interest picking lands for you, that shit depends entirely on your budget, but I can help with mana fixing if you'd like.

I'll take a look at the other list too, just give me a second.

Yes, I can do this. I run an Abzan deck myself, I'll take a look after I help the first user.

Abzan, grixis, mono blue or red, and either atraxa or ydris

Like I have some idea with
>Ally fetches
>Shocks (8)
>Lairs (3?)
>Bounce lands (enemy bounce lands)
>Scry lands (either 8 or ally)
Like what would be good utility lands, colorless lands, and basic ratio

I need to build a blue deck that is not annoying ass shit. Need idea of interesting blue cards.

>Is this ok for a semi comp environment
Just by looking at the commander I can tell that's not competitive at all, not even "semi". It's just too slow and group friendly.
Now looking at the cards, no. That pile can't give a fight.

>Thread question
Mardu. Blowing up all the permanents is fun.

here i hastily wrote in some suggestions

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rhys-feat-dudes/

It's token focused, elf tribal is for shitters.

help me flesh out zombie subtheme pls

you're advice beyond "switch to doran" was boring, template deck building advice and the opposite of what i asked. i wanted ways of strengthening the zombie subtheme and you told me to get rid of it. i realize the deck would probably play stronger without it, but the zombies keep the price of the deck relatively low for the power that they bring to the table (at least in my meta).and you don't understand why i like norn, yet i'm building a deck that tries to make a lot of zombies as one of its gameplans (or a bunch of spirits through hallowed spirit keeper). norn is just an all around beast, idk how you could recommend removing it. i like bontu as a a sac outlet that drains life from everybody (another subtheme i've got in the deck), and a beefy indestructible menace for 3 mana. your advice for greaves, boots, sol ring, and other rocks falls on deaf ears, i rarely have mana troubles, they take away from my creature slots, and they are such format staples they just make me groan when i see them played, just because they are in just about every of every newcomer to the format. i've got a decent amount of boardwipes in the deck already, too, so i don't need to worry about adding more, and especially having cataclysmic gearhulk as a repeatable field wipe really helps. e.witness also grabs back other field wipes from the grave.

kessig cagebreakers was a good rec though and i'll probably pick one up

Mono blue mill with no labman

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-12-17-meren-wip/
also this

>Favorite color combination

Either Grixis or 5 Color due to Ramos.

Mono Black is my favorite, followed by Dimir, followed by Grixis. Actually I love pretty much anything that isn't White and/or Green.

Also I almost always find space for Vendetta.

>vendetta
orzhov charm is better

My brother

Mairsil and Ramos are the only decks I have that don’t get dissembled after a week

>Mono Black
>orzhov charm

Fuckin' perfect

Sorry it's not what you were looking for, but honestly from what you've said the zombie theme is going to be suboptimal no matter you build it, Karador is about long term value and reanimating the right creature each turn. Apart from the joke has good suggestions.

I dunno what to say when someone posts a list that's 48 creatures, 35 lands and then said I gave you
>boring, template deck building advice
I gave you that advice because from the look at your pile that was the advice I thought you needed. This deck you have has no aim, no goal, past the commander costing less when creatures are in your graveyard and the fact your deck has creatures in it and some mana to cast them.
Your instant, sorcery and enchantment cards offer very little protection, utility and synergy to your creatures.
I understand now why you like the Norn, and it's because you want zombies to
>keep the price of the deck relatively low
and you obviously cracked Norn in a draft or from a booster and you wanna include it because of how cool and strong it looks.
Norn cost a lot of mana. The best thing it does for a while, mainly due to your complete lack of ramp and rocks, is make Karador cost 1 less when you discard it. which I doubt you'll ever do, due to your insane lack of draw

From the look of your deck I assume you and your group take a partial paris mulligan? The problem with this method is that you can in theory dig through about 30 cards in your deck, sculpting a nut hand. It makes good decks better and unplayable decks playable, it damages your ability to build decks.

Avoid posting your deck and asking for help when you're going to dismiss help that it LOOKS like you need.
also learn to take a joke and not spam your deck, I understand now that making a Doran deck may have been a little more cognitively challenging for you than I anticipated

>hating white when it gives you better options
swords is better than vendetta too

He's talking about the deck being black. The charm cant go in the deck. lmao

>you obviously cracked Norn in a draft or from a booster and you wanna include it because of how cool and strong it looks
i don't crack packs

How bad is the landbase straight out of the box?
And more importantly, how fun is he?

It's all basics and panoramas and three color taplands. Command Tower is pretty much the best land in the box.

If you can replace even some of the taplands with duals/shocks/painlands you should be good to go.

Landbase is pretty bad out of the box.
He's eh.
Luckily he comes with Scion and Ramos who are fun as fuck.

Hope you improve your deck for your next game night mate, gl.

>playing white

Orhov because I like mob movies and extorting my opponents is fun

I skipped EDH night with the group because half of them are retarded fat virgins and the other half are SJW faggots

Ask me anything

Alright, I'm going to give you two options for a manabase: budget and optimal.

Optimal is what the deck SHOULD run. 4c is tricky, because in 5c you run a bunch of things that generate any colour of mana to hedge your bets, so thank fuck you picked gay kings and can use green.

The hierarchy for lands goes ABUR Duals > Fetches > Shocks > Lands that make coloured mana and enter untapped > Filterlands > Lands that don't make coloured mana but have great utility > Karoos/Bouncelands > POWERGAP > conditionally untapped lands when their condition can be easily fufilled > Basics > POWER GAP > any land that enters tapped with an upside > lands that enter tapped without an upside.

This is just generally speaking, I can get into specifics in a bit, but ideally build it working from the top down in terms of powerlevel and budget. So, in terms of colour identity, the manabase would look like this:

>6 ABUR duals, none of the ones with black in it
>all 10 fetches
>6 shocks, none of the ones with black in it
>city of brass
>command tower

That puts you at 24 lands, not including whatever utility lands you want to run or any basics. Those numbers depend entirely on your deck composition relative to your strategy, but aim for at least one basic that you can grab with a fetch, two to be safe.

Now, building on a budget for you is super easy because you're playing green. Follow the rankings relative to your budget for lands, but you can do some sneaky shit. If you primarily make your deck green, you can skew your mana generation to green, which lets you fix things a lot easier because green enables you to fetch basics. Use your ramp to offset the problems in your manabase, and to keep your curve silky, but picking ramp is tricky. Here's how I prioritize things when choosing which green ramp to run:

Any land untapped onto the battlefield > basics untapped onto the battlefield > basics tapped onto the battlefield > POWER GAP > basics to hand.

(cont.)

which half do you belong to?

why is that the group you've cultivated?

So, from there I usually run Harrow, Primal Growth, Kodama's Reach, Sakura Tribe Eldar, Wood Elves, Cultivate, and Explosive Vegetation, but Skyshroud claim works well too. Ideally, you want 8-12 cards total that ramp to avoid ramping into ramp, but since you have access to green and are on a budget, I'd honestly just run 6 signets.

4c is fucked man, it's difficult to optimize the your rocks, but in general, a package for most colours looks like this:

>mana crypt
>mana vault
>sol ring
>thran dynamo
>gilded lotus
>1-3 signets

From there, things go based on mana generation relative to cost, so anything that generates more mana than it costs is ideal, and if it can generate multiple different coloured mana it's the best. If you haven't figured it out by now, untapped >>>> tapped, so prioritize what you want to run.

Now, if you have any more questions let me know, I didn't get into the specifics of your deck, but from the tone of your questions, I thought it might be beneficial to give you the total rundown, just in case you ever need to build anything else in the future. Also, took a peak at your other deck, it'll be fine. It's not super strong, it's not terrible, it's like just above average, if that's what you're going for.

Tiers of things may be up for debate, this is all in the most general sense so it can be applicable for any deck.

I belong to the third group
>Normal human beings with free time on monday nights who want to enjoy playing this silly game with decent people but have no decent people with which to enjoy said silly game with.

come move down the road from me mate 4/5 of my pals have at least seen a pussy and we run together.

You're up next senpai. Give me 10 or so mintues.

Look closer

>third group
>Half of my playgroup are fat virgins
>Half of my plaugroup are SJWs
>Me? I'm just bad at math.

I am more addicted to brewing EDH decks than actually playing them. Is there a cure?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rube-boshberg-machine/

I've finally built up a mana/ramp base that stops falling behind my fat average cmc but now I'm near-constantly hellbent. Any recommendations? Budget not really a concern; mostly looking for good solutions even if it will take me a bit of saving to get a hold of them. I've hesitated on Wheel of Fortune for too long but not sure if worth 80 bunks
Other advice also welcome.

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rube-boshberg-machine/
have i got the combo for you

My DnD group was like that, glad I'm gone

my edh group is chill as fuck thank god

Haha yeah I've seen this combo float by every once in a while. Kind of tempted to do it desu but not sure if I have the energy to perform it more than once.

whats the most unique take on a deck you have built or played against? I need some ideas for brewing

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/26-02-18-damia-control/

im making my first non-preconstructed commander deck. i want to use archangel avacyn/the purifier as my commander. any ideas how to build a deck around this ? I'm thinking red white human aggro

>skipping EDH night
You better be doing squats then

I keep rebuilding the Ramos deck: often making it technically weaker each iteration. But it's basically become a Charm/Command Tribal with sub-themes of Cascade, Cascade-like effects and other effects that start with "Whenever you cast..."

I could make it way more dangerous but being an insanely versatile spellslinger with a robot dragon pal that gets pumped based on the colors I use is way more entertaining for Commander.

Grixis 4 lyfe. As for thematic cards, I guess Cruel Ultimatum. It's one card that just does everything grixis is known for.

How much fun is Ramos I've been playing that same deck using child of alara for about two years now and it's really fun but the dragon makes me want to change my commander

You're doing God's work user. Ty.

Do you have a list? I'm looking into Ramos myself.

Someday I'll be get to cast a Cruel Ultimatum with Cloven Casting, Swarm Intelligence and Pyromancer's Goggles.

>3 EDH generals
>using the one posted second for the current thread

Am I on Veeky Forums?

threads in which the question is which cards will you ban/unban are a shitshow. both OPs of course knew that

Did you see the question?
There's a reason we are using this one

>waaa I'm triggered by thread OPs because I can't have a rational discussion like an adult

Ya, looks like I am on Veeky Forums alright.

you are more than welcome to get out

Okay user, I've looked at your deck pretty thoroughly, and I have a few pointers:

I don't know how I feel about rhys. At first I wanted to cast him immediately and thought he was awesome, then I hated him because he didn't fit into your curve and just sort of durdled early game, and finally I've decided I kind of like him because he's a 7cmc second harvest from the command zone, so I think it could work.

From my playtests, your curve is a little fucked. 3.83 or whatever is pretty low on average, but for a deck like this, if you aren't pumping out tons of ramp, you're going to have a bad time. From my count, you have 6 things that ramp for you, I'd put it up to at least ten, but take a peak at that other giant thing I typed up, it should help with your manabase a little bit. I don't like that you have 13 creatures over 5 cmc and 16 creatures over 4cmc because it bogs you down. Creatures are the only way you really win the game, and having a bunch of giant fatties that are going to get nuked is a recipe for a bad time. Like, Elesh Norn is amazing in a vacuum, but it doesn't win you the game unless you're already position to win the game. Same with Thunderfoot Baloth. Either focus on getting lots of little dudes on the cheap, or winning the game outright the second you drop your fatties to help you optimize things a little more. Rhys doesn't put in THAT much work because he makes 1 1/1 a turn for 3 mana, which is a pretty bad deal. You're in green, you can run Worldly Tutor, Brutalizer Exarch, and Mwonvuli Beast tracker to snag creatures if that's your plan on winning the game, without going into crazy wincons like Primal Surge.

Since your list doesn't seem to be budget, I'd recommend getting good wraths if you want to be competitive, but holy fuck do I like the flavour on your current ones, that's pretty sneaky. Overrun is a winmore Overwhelming Stampede, and you can get it on Garruk Wildspeaker, (cont).

Doubling Season needs to be a thing. I run a ghave deck and it literally never survives, but it's an essential flashy part of this type of deck if you have the budget, and that would let you branch out into +1/+1 shittery, since you're already running Avenger of Zendikar, and it'd give you access to Inspiring Call/armorcraft judge which are absolutely amazing in the right context.

I like Sylvan Reclamation for these types of decks, because it's always useful. Krosan may also be something to consider because it prevents your opponents from comboing off at instant speed, but there are plenty of 1cmc options to remove things in both green and white. You can also run noxious revival and eternal witness if you want. If you get your curve low enough, you might be able to Wing Shards people for a storm count of 3 or 4 pretty consistently, but it's also a dirt cheap edict so it's worth considering.

Now, getting down to business, hatebears are a real thing. If you want this deck to improve, it's another option, because you can run a bunch of cheap dudes like Old Thalia, Grand Abolisher, Aven Mindcensor, Gaddok Teeg, Leonin Arbiter, Sanctum Prelate, Kataki and the like to fuck over anyone who doesn't have a lot of small things to combat you. It'd take a bit of an overhaul, but it'd be very compatable with what you have; I'd just trade in some of the fatties for the little fucks of death.

Overall? Quality deck, I really like Mimic Vat, but I have autism, so I try to optimize things the best I can. Harmonize might be another good include, but for a 75% meta, you're going to be alright. To take it to an autistic degree, I'd go stax and hatebears, but what I've written here should work for you.

Now, thank you all the anons that want me to look at their decks, but this is enough of that for tonight. I might look at more tomorrow morning if you're lucky. You're all wonderful people, and I appreciate your time.

>When the arms race starts kicking off in your group

The point of the general questions is to have a decent Icebreaker
We had that same question several times already this month, and while it is a legitimate question, it tends to be a little on the shitshow side
Trying to turn edhg into a permanent and intentional shitshow isn't my idea of a good time

Take it to the other thread, no one cares who you are. This is specifically designated for EDH discussion, and if you'd like to discuss EDH, I'd be happy to, otherwise fuck off.

Now, what decks do you play senpai?

I’d argue that the scrylands deserve a niche above other ETB-tapped lands in 5c, due to letting you scry your way to other fixing sources.

You know user, since you brought it up, what cards would you ban or unban? I say unban Balance, it gives white a much needed boost and punishes decks that over extend.

You're absolutely right user, particularly for nongreen. I knew I forgot it, and I appreciate you pointing it out.

Don't take the bait anons, this thread is awesome, you're all awesome, just let it die.

>discussion of the ban list is not EDH related

Autism.

You know you want it user.

The answer to this is not to respond in kind but to build a turn 2 stax lock deck
>Ok user we can go back to having fun
Your mileage may vary

Yup.

No.

We really need to ban ante cards
I'm so sick of buying so many consecrated Sphinxes

>playing with my buddy, mana crypt is anted on my side, force of will is on his side
>absolutely crushing his kess deck with my Memnarch deck
>think I'm about to win, he casts demonic attorney
>mana crypt is already anted
>really want his chains of Mephistopheles
>decide to flip cards instead of losing my crypt
>I turn over Mishra's Workshop
>he turns over an island
>smugly, he reveals his hand
>past in flames, reverberate, twincast, tendrils, LED
>all the mana in the world
>a bunch of cantrips in his yard
>"do you want to scoop now, or should I storm out user?"
I'm still mad about it.

Orzhov has always been my love but I try to tone it down, still got at least 4 decks that have that color combo in it though shit's rough but I need to trim some decks anyway potentially.

For thematic cards I usually bring a vindicate or merciless eviction because I love blowing things up.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/vroom-vroom-ramos/

Here you go. The most current iteration. It'll be changed again when I find new tech and want to fiddle around with it.

I've got to create a fb post for my EDH group so everyone knows it's on tonight. Usually it's some shit EDH-related meme. What should tonight's post be?

Ty friend.