Replacing HP with Stamina? (Wound System?)

Scrap HP. It's stamina now.

Unarmored characters have less stamina

Wounds are caused by taking half of one's CURRENT stamina in a single blow

The longer a fight lasts the sloppier your fighting becomes until you're eventually wounded

When one is wounded: Roll to either be removed from combat, knocked prone, or resist and continue fighting

Wounds even when stabilized have lasting effects in and outside of combat

Stamina recovers quickly, but wounds are lasting

Thoughts?

>Unarmored characters have less stamina

This. Though I like it overall. Instead of armor giving stamina it should reduce damage taken so you're less likely to be wounded.

I agree it's pretty fucking dumb. It's the only thing I'm supper iffy about on here.

I'm hesitant about DR mostly just because past +4 and 5 you become basically unscratchable.

What if Armored characters GET more stamina, but unarmored ones generally use less stamina when they fight. Basically, Prius vs Hummer.

Systems with HP will often abstract them as mounting severity of damage anyway, where having reasonably high health reflects bruises and fatigue more than proper injury. You could get the same result without another stat by changing recovery to be more difficult the lower your health pool gets.

Sounds interesting, however, what happens when all your stamina is depleted in a single attack? Death?

I would say so? That's a pretty severe blow.

Wounds are easy to comprehend though are they not? Having to explain and come up with a variable healing system feels a little bogged down in complexity. Maybe that's just me?

but HP was already stamina

Hackmaster has a good solution for this called dice penetration. Many rolls, including damage are given as xdyp, for example 1d8p. The p indicates that if you get the max result, here 8, your result is (max - 1) plus reroll. There is no limit on multiple penetration. This of course raises the average roll results a bit, but it's worth thinking about if you're tinkering with the systems anyway.

This is just exploding dice no?
Why have the (-1)?

>Having to explain and come up with a variable healing system feels a little bogged down in complexity.

First thought: when you rest, double your current HP. If you lost less than half of your max HP in an encounter, a rest puts you back up to full; which is similar to the OP description. If you lost 3/4 of your max, it would take some time to recover. Going to 0 puts you in a dying state that you need medical attention to overcome, and then plenty of rest after that.

Might be the same. I just know the concept from Hackmaster.

The problem with not subtracting the 1 is that you get holes in the results. Let's say you roll 1d8p and get an 8. If you took the 8 instead of (8 - 1) the end result could never be 8 because you would add at least the minimum roll of 1.

What system are you looking to mod OP? The ramifications of these changes depend a lot on the system.
>When one is wounded: Roll to either be removed from combat, knocked prone, or resist and continue fighting
>Wounds even when stabilized have lasting effects in and outside of combat
These two parts are shit irrelevant of system. If the system was not designed to have short crippling or deadly combat, forcing it in would only make the system worse.

In OPs system you don't use the stamina for anything. To implement your suggestion OP would need to create a whole separate system to use stamina in combat.

So what would be the base stamina?

You're right. This whole thing is dumb. I'm just going to scrap it all and start again.

... can I use it?

Dude, don't give up that fast. Start from the beginning.
What system are you trying to mod, and what do you hope to acomplish?

kek

OP you're hilarious.

Moreso giving up from separate feedback combined with my own crumbling hope in it. Your post was just the last straw in my head.

It's been a long day, I won't scrap the whole thing but it needs serious rethinking.

The idea was for a modified DW. The system doesn't have AC and DR isn't a thing I'm particularly fond of.

Goals for the system
> Decently high lethality
> Combat that has lasting consequence (wounds)
> Slow healing
> Daggers can lead to wounds too, they're just less likely than bigger weapons

Maybe call it "defense" instead of stamina, but otherwise, sounds like a great idea.

Legends of the Wulin uses a system kind of like this. Every hit that lands inflicts one or more Ripples, depending on how good the roll was. These don't represent specific injuries, but more a general flow of the momentum of battle. Any successful attack roll over the bare minimum also causes a Rippling roll. The injured party rolls a number of dice equal to the number of Ripples they have, the value is reduced by a dice roll of their Chi Aura, and the result compared to their Chi Threshold. This inflicts various levels of injury (which reduce fighting capabilities), and if the result is high enough the target is Taken Out and leaves the fight in a manner the group decides is dramatically satisfying, whether fleeing, being knocked unconscious, dying, or whatever you come up with. Finally, at the end of the fight, everyone including the people that were Taken Out, make one last Rippling roll to decide a Condition that permanently (or at least until they get it taken care of) remains from the fight. This doesn't have to be an injury Condition, though, unlike in-fight Rippling, so you could say it's something like you've got an emotional Condition of anger at your enemies, or whatever.

I like this a lot actually, thank you for the idea.

I may just use this alongside exploding die rolls so that I can have daggers be potentially lethal as well.

The big problem with this is that if I keep the armor as HP idea, then it doesn't really make much sense at ALL in a healing sense.

What happens when a character takes off their armor?

That was a part of the reason for implementing HP as a resource that regenerates quickly (stamina), while wounds were the true indication of a character's well being?

Why not have armor give you a percent chance to ignore a wound? Rather than dr, your armor simply determines the table you roll on when wounded to determine the result. Plus then you get to make up fun and terrifyingly violent damage tables.

Seconded. Would be awesome if done right.

I like this. Only problem is granularity: each level of armour protection you want to represent in-game has to have its own table for sensibility's sake. Hassle to set up but once done would be very quick to roll on a table. Just don't listen to any chucklefucks suggesting penalties for wearing armour, if a trained warrior can't carry 20kg without serious sacrifices in mobility then he's a pretty shit warrior.

I'd still have a small penalty, like slightly more stamina used in an attack or dodge.

i've been making a fightning system inspired by DBZ and shit it has stamina as a resource used for strong attacks and when you get hit your stamina decreases, when you out of stamina you can suffer 3 blows then your K.O.

Differentiate between actual wounds and getting tired and sloppy in a fight.

Damage is first subtracted from your Stamina Points. When your stamina runs out, you begin to lose Wound Points. When your Wound Points run out, you're dead or dying.

Critical hits circumvent Stamina and go straight to Wound Points.

Wound Points are regained slowly, but Stamina Points are regained whenever your character has a couple of minutes to take a breather.

Dare I say a knife should always be a dangerous weapon.

Multiple bleeding wounds vs. a giant traumatic wound should be a distinction you loose blood in both but one is immediate and the other is persistant

So it only superficially makes more sense than HP, has no advantage beyond this superficial realism, but forces you to track twice as much stuff. gg user

>stamina hp

Just have a system for damage-avoidance which isn't ass. Separate evasion from armor. Let people reactively do things like dodge, take cover, block/parry, and counter. Make protective gear reduce damage, whether by a static value, percentage, or variable. Have some weapons and techniques which reduce the effectiveness of certain kinds of armor.

Once you have that down you can make people relatively vulnerable under the dodging and armor, and make them suffer when they take a lot of hurt.

>Scrap HP. It's hit points now.
I agree on your abstractions, but D&D style hit points are already the thing you are describing. Having 0 hit points be an injury is already in my house rules for D&D.

Even the greatest ideas in the world get shit on by Veeky Forums

Isn't this basically how Numenera does it? Just instead of having one stamina bar, you have a stamina bar for each skill.

Nope that's fucking retarded

Ever played Numenera?

What if...
>Stamina works as a damage buffer, which is reduced by 1 every time you're hit
>Damage that bleeds over the damage buffer causes more and more serious debilitations and injuries
>Damage that bleeds over your Stamina more than your Stamina total causes grievous injuries
>You also get a grievous injury when you go to 0 Stamina
>Grievous injuries can be lethal

So say you have a Swords McGee over here, who has 8 Stamina, and he is hit with a sword for 5 damage each turn (this damage would naturally vary).

For the first 3 turns, nothing big happens, but on the fourth, Swords gets a a minor injury, that gives a disadvantage X to certain kinds of actions. Then on the next, it gets worse, and so on and so forth.

OK screw OP's idea, it's time to help me with mine:

There is no STR, no DEX, nothing like those.
There is no HP, only ENERGY
attacks come in three types: strong, fast, and smart
Defenses come in three types: brave, quick, and noble

When someone attacks they lose 1 ENERGY to spend the attack. If they hit they inflict 2 damage to the opponets ENERGY.

A hit is determined as follows:

Strong beats Noble
Quick beats Brave
Smart beats Fast

If the attacker attacks with a weapon, it opens up a new category of attacks depending on the weapon: Knight, Hunter, or Mafia

Picking up a shield or using armor or cover adds extra defense options: Tower, Gorilla, and Clamshell

these take an additional 2.04 energy to use in combat but increase the luck multiplier by 38% when successfully deploying the correct tactic to overcome your enemy's defense

when someone's energy is reduced to 0 they are allowed to "take a breather" and recover 200 energy, but they may only do this three times in an encounter

the winner of a fight is determined by whoever collects the most bone charms from the opponet by smashing them into debris and buildings and props or even other units

if someone attacks when you don't have enough energy to defend you automatically assume the prone stance

If you are already prone and you attempt to become prone again you clip through the floor and fall and die

thoughts? y? n?

Sounds interesting, my only concern is that the weird semi-rockpaperscissors thing could be confusing to the average player

its not rock paper scissors. you can still counter attack by using the formation stance "Water Rises Over The Mountain" to reverse the pyramid of power, or switch to the stance of "Jade Eagle Sails Ferverously Yonder" to transform the Triangle of Trauma into an octahedron of ascendance allowing all attacks you do to bypass the defensive parameter of enemies while you maintain an eight-point wujin waza stance.

its really simple, the combat revolves around the concept of four paragons of power: fire, water, wind, and salt to be the focal points for the inner ki of each of the players. whereas a player who depletes their SOUL reserve will be at a disadvantage, some races, most namely Andross and Protojen, actually benefit from having a low SOUL stat because they wont have to worry about their consciousness rolling %checks on every turn to resist and rebel against their drivers.

however, that being said, the addition of guns to the game really spices up the flavor by inserting two new possible duelling abilities: duel decider and shogun showdown, which allow players to engage in 2v2 pvp using modern skirmish rules to not only accelerate combat but also add in a whole new level of potentially lethal roleplaying possibilities.

You shouldn't be concerned, it's straightforward enough and is easily explained in a brief 37 page summary with pictures.

OP is at least trying.

>OP is at least trying
nobody "tries" on Veeky Forums.
nobody "tries" on Veeky Forums.
We're all following the same fuckin' pattern.
We shitpost, we pretend, we shitpost back, and we keep up this ruse.
We lie to ourselves and say "isn't this fun? It is! I love this!"
We're all fucking dead inside.

Ooookay pal.

Might wanna go have a cup of coffee. Come back to us when you've settled down okay?

>that post

And that's why you use Wulin for magical girl games to befriend the fuck out of your enemies

This thread is garbage.

Please remove it.