Warhammer Fantasy General - /wfg/

The Lost and the Damned edition.

>Resources (Crunch, Lore and Warhammer Fantasy Role-play)
WFB: pastebin.com/2EJLZq7a
WFRP: pastebin.com/NX6t6eYa
Novels: pastebin.com/Uzp9RQ9i

>We're looking for these novels for the archive:
pastebin.com/t5kdcfVm

>Alternative Warhammer Miniatures and Manufacturers
pastebin.com/WQTJDtUV

>Warhammer Wikis
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page

>Warhammer Video Games.
pastebin.com/396cm1Jp

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20030430040410/http://www.games-workshop.com:80/albion/uk/gazetteer/sirpercival.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=IAC5fgI678E&ab_channel=wyd
reddit.com/r/Warhammer/comments/7rjdsa/im_tuomas_pirinen_ask_me_anything/?limit=500
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for the Druchii! First for Khaine!

For the Asur!!!

So I've been building a high elf army recently. I have now built

24 seaguard
32 archers
24 sword masters
10 reavers
10 dragon princes
2 nobles on Griffin
Flamespyre pheonix
2 mages
Bsb
Prince on steed

What else should I add? Currently this force is being built in secret to play against my housemate who also has high elves and thinks he is top notch.

I'm thinking of adding in 2 dragons?

1600 pts is the level we play at.

He runs, spearmen, tiranoc chariots, an archmage in a pheonix guard unit, frostheart pheonix and a couple of reaver units.

Well you could add phoenix guard or white lions and bolt throwers to get to 2000 points.

If you're playing semi-competitive and want to thrash your flatmate then drop the two nobles on griffons and run the seaguard as spearmen as well as the above suggestions.

Also, why did you start high elves if your flatmate plays them as well?

You could have sold him the Elven half of IoB and started Skaven.

>Khorne
FTFY

Retconned.

The Chaos gods are beyond meta bullshit.

>The Chaos Gods are meta-bullshit.

FTFY

So I've got a metric shitload of Dwarf models. What would you recommend that I have in an army for 6th edition and 8th edition?

You're in a thread about using warhammer fantasy.

I don't think you can have a concrete cannon anymore, its pick or choose now. And I say fuck GW's fear of being sued for copyright infringement on gods and chaos fanboy jerkoffs, there's tons of them and they all do magical shit.

Trued my hand at making a 3rd Edition Oldhammer list. Am I doing this right?

Undead Old Hammer Army

1000 points

General: Vadim Yekorvich
Level 5 Liche

Equipment: Hand Weapon

Spells (Rolled Randomly):

1: Summon Skeletons

2: Ignite Missiles

3: Enthuse

90 points

Atem, the Magnanimous
Level 10 Undead Champion

Equipment: Heavy Armor, Shield, Sword of Swiftness

84 points

Captain Telheim
Level 5 Undead Champion

Equipment: Light Armor, Shield, Spear

34 points

Gani

Atem’s Royal Host
X29 Skeleton Warriors

Led by Atem

Hand weapons, Shields

Helvect’s Forgotten
X19 Skeleton Spearmen

Spears, Shields

Led by Captain Telheim

The Sleepless Guardians

X2 Mummies

Choir of the Reik

Screaming Skull Catapult

Screaming Skull Ammunition

1000/1000

>Hey everyone, welcome to /wfbg/ where the Lore is made up and the Canon doesn't matter.
>That's right, the Canon doesn't matter. If the Canon was campaign, it would be The Nemesis Crown.

8th edition

Don't know about 6th but in 8th I'd say just pick a theme and run with it
that being said, in 8th the tryhard list usually consists of large warrior blocks containing characters, backed by cannons & organ guns and a few copters sometimes

Fire is P good, or you could have another nurgle

Does an PDF exist of all the battle card sets (or even just some of them?) It's not in the MEGA ressource. For 8th edition

You can't really buy them anymore except individually on eBay where shipping tripples the price.

You could go out & make your own off of screenshots of the spells in the books if you cant get the cards

If an PDF does not exist, that's what i'm going to do, yeah. But i'm honestly a little surprised that it seems to not exist, especially considering how exhaustive the MEGA ressource is otherwise

I take it that you find Shadows + Nurgle to be superflous?

>Fire
If I go that route it would be the first time I ever use it. I take it that its primary purpose is to wipe away chaff? Fulminating Flame Cage seems like a really nice spell aswell as it would allow me to paralyze a potentially dangerous unit.

>Have another Nurgle
I don't really see the appeal of this desu. I'd rather just switch the Chaos Familiar to the Sorcerer Lord with lore of Nurgle.

I too find this peculiar.
Was thinking about going full autism and make my own cards but I couldn't find enough suitable artwork.

Exactly. I'm not too hung up on artwork so I could make it work, but i'd rather wait a bit and see if someone has anything.

Hear, hear!
Is there some kind soul out their willing to put their battle cards into a pdf for us miserable peons?

Those skeleton blocks seem kind of big to me, but I like it.

I assumed that would be a big chunk of what was needed in 8th edition. By themes, what do you mean? Like infantry heavy, slayers, gunlines, cannon heavy?

If your flatmate runs chariots get sisters of Avalon with a handmaiden or a few bolt throwers and let those torch his chariots from afar.

Otherwise bulk your elite specials and reduce some of your archers because while elves have T3 they do have decent armor.

Running Swords or Whitelions against spear formations to set up cavalry attacks will be tough for him to counter.

alternatively run white lion death star with banner of world Dragon + everqueen and life magic to have a block of 45 S7 T5 regenerating box of fuck you he'll never be able to counter

Yeah, pick a fluffy theme and build around that.

>spoiler
Doing that is the scummiest thing in all of 8th ed WHFB, worse than cannons

Yea bolt throwers are a good idea. I don't really want to counter his pheonix guard with a unit of my own. White lions could be cool.

He was going on about how good his painting was so I decided to show him up at his own game. I've always wanted to do high elves. I've done wood elves and dark elves so this completes the three.

Haha I like the horde idea. I guess I'll work my way there.

Is it legit that bad? Wouldn't something like dwellers below wreck the unit still?

Not with their high as balls initiative.

Oh and if I go with lore of Fire should I equip the fella' with Ruby Ring of Ruin?

That's why it was in spoiler because it's so disgusting it must be hidden in shame like drucchi

I jested about the horde... Its more cheese than Skaven could glutton on.
High level ultimate spells don't always work especially If you have a super mage like Alarielle like I suggested.

Honestly army you already have is decent. I personally think Griffin are shit mounts but that's my personal take because it sounds like you bought up a ton of IOB sets.

I'm still concerned you lack actual Umph and do suggest an anvil like Phoenix guard or a partial anvil like whitelions because depiste the meme they're really fucking good elite infantry

The bad thing with your list is decentralization...its a little bit everywhere. What I might say is have the Phoenix be a frost phoenix which is indisputably best Bird.

Then get more spears/seaguard. 24 isnt enough to bother anybody least of all you, and If you wanna play cute with them put a sea Lord in their for archer/phalanx formation
But your BSB in your Dragon prince or in a swordmaster bunker with a mage/prince.

Do away with griffons or "count" them as eagles (but I'm certain the griffon model is larger than eagle)

I enjoy playing rares but bolt throwers are always a welcome compliment and taking on sisters of Avalon always paid off for me (rapid firing magic arrow shoot and scoot is deadly) and would ruin those chariots.

Have fun trying to wipe em, with I5 and a level 5 Wizard in the unit, you'll have to try and miscast if you want the spell to go through

>play Erengrad, house Shein
>make Erengrad the greatest city in the human world, richest in the old World
>30 years in, TWO Plagues at once hit us
>one of our Great Houses dies out and lose about 60% in assets
holy fuck, fuck you Nurgle

Agree with lothern sea guard phalanx.

A Sea Helm allows you to swap a stand and shoot order into a reform order before the enemy makes their charge for a leadership test.

If you plan to be defensive a sea guard phalanx and shoot the enemy and then receive a charge that fights in 4 ranks is fucking brilliant to over confident chariot players

Hugh, I used to raid that place as Norscans quite a lot.

fending off Norscans is easy enough, I even have a few Trade posts in their capitals, but you can't buy off Disease with coin.

A while back someone asked about if there were beastmen or orcs on Albion and concluded it must be a pretty comfy place - while according to the fluff for Percival d'Gisoreux, he fought running battles against the beastmen and orcs when he came to Albion.

web.archive.org/web/20030430040410/http://www.games-workshop.com:80/albion/uk/gazetteer/sirpercival.htm

keep going.

It literally says "End." in the bottom corner, m'lady.

real shame

Aye

anyone know what the stormvermin in vermintide chant as they march?
youtube.com/watch?v=IAC5fgI678E&ab_channel=wyd

what would happen if an amber or jade wizard or druid went to albion? would they have fun happy times with the natives and the truthsayers?

Are these dwarfs vs brets?

wwhy havent they invaded the chapel yet if theres one guy inside?

Chaos.

Yes.

Dwarf please don't lie.

>Fleur De Lis
I guess so

Fuck man, those are some short, stocky Chaos dudes then...

Maybe Norse Dwarfs? Though that one beardless fucker is confusing, and I'm not seeing any chaos iconography...

yes, they quarrel a lot.

Hey

Hey guys

Anyone have a copy of Zweihander?

No, seriously

You can get it free on their website.
I wouldn't bother though. It breaks more than it fixes.

The Man-o-war link in the pastebin is dead.

I think it might be 9th Age art, but otherwise yes.

Chapel is a sacred place - if it's sacred enough, it's probably like how a Garden of Morr can keep out the undead.

End Times lore, but there was a super sacred Cathedral in Bretonnia that Archaon was nearly destroyed by it's pure holiness.

Look at the old chaos models from this time; they were very hunched over and crooked.

>notice Ulthuan and some Estalian merchant republic have decleared an embargo war on me
>wtf why would Ulthuan attack me as I have no Trade Posts in their territory
>must be because of my Estalian Posts
>ship 9k Mercenaries to Estalia to kick the rival Republics teeth in
>check for Ulthuans military numbers
>they have 109k soldiers raised
>oh fugg
>get message about a Trade Post being besieged
>mfw that one retard House in Erengard has started shit with the High Elves
At least I know how I can settle this now, all I have to do is surrender that fucking trade post and the Elves won't burn my city.

Good, do that.

warring with elves isn't good for business.
>when the Bretons sacked Marienburg and you use the opportunity to build a Trade Post in the province
haha owned, more like MarienPOORg amirite.

I myself really prefer skellies over zombies. Should I perhaps break em down into smaller regiments of 15 or so?

Hunched and crooked, not flat out short. That artwork is very definitely dwarfs. But I don't think it's Warhammer art.

What game is this, and where can I illegally pirate it, fellow definitely-not-an-FBI-agent?

The artist is Karl Kopinski, took me two seconds in google. And yes, it's dwarves against bretonnians. Why do people have such problems comprehending this concept.

And if I did, I wouldn't need to pump out an Undead champion for each regiment right?

the game is Crusader Kings 2 with the Geheimnisnacht mod, but I have no idea where you can pirate the full game with all DLC and patches, and also no idea how you're gonna get the mod without an official Paradox Forum activated copy of CK2.

What does Tuomas Pirinen think of the End Times?
reddit.com/r/Warhammer/comments/7rjdsa/im_tuomas_pirinen_ask_me_anything/?limit=500

>Bear in mind I am HUGELY biased. Warhammer World was the seminal piece of my youth, I was utterly engrossed with it, and of course worked on it professionally for years. It is part of my psyche. So no, you cannot expect me to be happy about it. I poured my heart and soul into that world. I do not feel that the world of AoS is anywhere near as rich and never will be. I do think Jervis wrote quite a good set of rules -he is a legend, so there is no surprises there. But to me the world was as important as the rules and miniatures. Mind you, if someone had to destroy it, at least it was one of the characters I created, Archaon! But as said, I am the most biased person in the world I can think of when it comes to the Warhammer World. I am still hopeful: with the massive sales of Total War: Warhammer, it is clear the Old World has its ardent fans. So I hope we will see a release of Warhammer Classic again one day. One can dream. Mind you, I do not think people who enjoy playing AoS are wrong -I would never deprive a fellow gamer of their enjoyment of a game they like!

Mmm, those stats!

And it could drop it's magic axe and transform it into another Bloodthirster.

sounds reasonable desu

except for the "total warhammer fans will save warhammer" part

those cunts on steam are mad at buying $10 dlc they're too lazy to drop $30 on some models

Thats just the retarded normie portion of total war players, the game and all its DLCs have still sold like crazy
Vermintide II is looking pretty popular at the moment as well, lots of people clinging onto the Old World

so you value bitching on online forums higher than the actual sales numbers?
If you take everything on /v/ at face value there's not been a single good game released since Doom(original)

Ok lets look at stats, Total War: Warhammer,1.8 million owners on steam.
Total War: Warhammer 2, 0.7 million owners on steam.

More than half of the TWW1 players didn't buy TWW2 despite it adding the grand campaign.

For $60 they refused to more than double their campaign map and possible races to play as.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking. If you can split the 29 into two times 15 you'll have more maneuverability and can use one of them to pin some fuckers in place while the others get around the side. It's not like 3e favours big blocks of mans anyway (or does it?).

Granted I don't really know much about undead. Maybe they "need" bigger blocks. I'm sorry to mess with your snazzy list that so beautifully clocked in at 1000, it was just a thought I had.

>Khorne hates magic
>Khaine is cool with it
Nope.

It doesn't double the possible races, it adds four, and then a fifth one for an extra $15. The first game has five baseline races and four DLC ones. On its face TWW2 doesn't add enough to justify the price if you're still having fun with the first one.

the Pegasus Knights should be a dead giveaway for anyone, since that is a pretty unique concept for Bretonnia.

Also the only thing that really stands out are the Polearm using Dwarfs, which is something that I really don‘t see a problem with. Why wouldn‘t Dwarfs use Poleaxes and Halberds if they use all other variations of Axes and Hammers.

My bad, I thought you meant the comic, not that other pic.

I think we had entire threads on this board how dwarves should use more polearms, pikes and spears, in the tunnels as well as in the open. But I won't get mad at Warhammer Fantasy, since it established some of these tropes in the first place and at least you see the occasional dwarf with a sword. Pic semi related.

At least there’s Chaos dwarfs with their Fireglaives

The whole idea is that dwarves fight skaven, so you can't use a polearm because the fucking rat will come out of the wall beside you, and then what? you're fucked you can't swing your polearm about

I guess this is why they like crossbows, rifles and two-handed axes so much.

Actually Khainites don't like magic either.

I've never been a big fan of the concept, but hey, to each his own. Trying to logic out how a dwarf would make a one-handed weapon work against creatures much bigger than him makes my head hurt, let alone trying to decide if a spear would actually give any advantage.

The "two-handed axes" they use have really small hafts (comically oversized fantasy axe heads aside).

Crossbows and rifles make a lot of sense for tunnel fighting as they don't "arc" like a bow would.

Posting this 6th edition Vampire Counts Lahmian list here to fish for opinions:

Countess 205
Level 2 35
Nightmare 12
Bading 6
Sword of Might 20
Staff of Damnation 40
Quickblood 30
Beguile 10

Thrall 80
Biting blade 10
Quickblood 30
Beguile 10

Necromancer 65
Level 2 35
Dispel scroll 25
Dispel scroll 25

Necromancer 65
Level 2 35
Dispel scroll 25
Dispel scroll 25

20 Skeletons 160
Light armour 40
Full Command 25

20 Skeletons 160
Light armour 40
Full Command 25

20 Skeletons 160
Light armour 40
Full Command 25

5 Dire Wolves 100

5 Dire Wolves 100

10 Black Knights 230
Barding 20
Full Command 40
Banner of Barrows 45

20 Grave Guard 120
Halberds 40
Shields 20
Full Command 30
Banner of Doom 50

6 Fell Bats 120

One thing I'm considering is removing one Fell Bat, one skeleton from each unit and one Black Knight, since the units will be joined by the characters and it would make the movement trays pleasantly rectangular (before more skeletons are added by Vanhel's) and it would let me take a Banshee, but I don't know if 5 Fell Bats are enough. Lahmians suck, but the models are too nice not to use. I wish GW had cute necromancers to go with them, but no dice.

The cost to fun ratio with videogames means that it's well worth the investment to buy the second game if you liked the first.

and provably most didn't because pc gamers are a bunch of whiney spoon-fed babies who don't have any real hobbies so they cry at possibly spending $20 on dlc

Not every combat situation is the same. In tight corridors with no side passages or large halls polearms would work wonders.
I for one would love artwork depicting heavily armoured dwarven pikemen battling it out against a vast horde of skaven in one of those gargantuan halls.

TWW1 also didn’t have 1.8 million players until after it got a huge price cut during just this past year’s steam sales, TWW2 has yet to have a significant discount.

Perspective.

Threadly reminder that in 2e the average inquisitor carries on him the equivalent of two years of greater noble income and it is considered normal

Axes and hammers actually work very well as a punching tool, grasp the weapon right below the head and you have a very fast cutting/punching/beating tool (cutting if you're using an axe) this is why many khorne models are holding axes really high up even when holding the weapon in one hand.

You trade reach for speed and ease of striking.

So yeah, even with a two handed dwarf axe or hammer you can one hand it right below the head and brawl with skaven at point blank range, when you're up against rat ogres or downed skavens then you can deliver devastating two handed swings when you need more power.

So japan tried this a long time ago, they took a katana and stuck it on the end of a spear and gave birth to the naginata. Weilding the sword in two hands with a higher fulcrum let women strike lethal blows (effectively overcoming -4 strength) this was to overcome the height difference between women and men.

Then some genius came up with the idea of letting men use them for EVEN MORE POWER.

So yeah dwarves with polearms would strike with more power than a dwarf with an axe, but at a cost that rivals typical dwarf tactics, culture and ideologies in warhammer terms.

If you go back to 3rd edition dwarf warriors can use spears and one unit may be upgraded to pikemen. So it's only modern warhammer which disregards these tactics for the stunties

So your counter-argument that PC gamers are not cheap bastards who wouldn't spend money on tabletop gaming is that people haven't bought TWW2 because it's not on sale yet.

So again how is the relevent to the argument that:

PC gamers refuse to spend $60 on four armies, five campaigns, much larger campaign map, the skaven custom battle workshop addon thus these cheap bastards won't spend $400 on a fantasy army, assemble it, paint it and play tabletop games with it.

I now dream of a gromril-clad dwarf macedonian phalanx, imagine the damage...

Witch Hunters are templars, e.g. knights, and all knights are nobles.

I liked the first, but I enjoyed the factions in 1 more and while 2 added some that I kinda missed, they weren't enough on their own when the game first came out. Even Mortal Empires doesn't quite sway me.

Then riddle me this : if all thunderers are equipped with dwarf-made firearms, how come the dwarfs maintain entire regiments of them, when a single firearm is worth 3 years of greater noble income ?
Does that mean every dwarf have enough gold to buy a entire city by himself ?

Thunderers tend to make their own firearms.