MTG Finance General - March 6 2018

Interesting Finance: mtgstocks.com/interests
Finance Discord: discord. gg/U5Yh4Vj
American Marketplace: tcgplayer.com
European Marketplace: cardmarket.com
Derivative Marketplace: speedmtg.com

What has happened so far:

Challenger Decks - How far will prices drop?
Jace, the Mind Sculptor hits FNM - How did it look at your store?
Penny Stocks - What specs do you have?
Reserved List - Any spikes or news?
Bears - What's going to drop?
Bulls - What's going to gain?

Topics from last time:

Shorting cards = Borrowing or renting cards that will fall in value, selling them, then buying them back later at the lower price to keep the profit between the values.

Options = Reserving the right to do something like buy a card for a fee.

Other urls found in this thread:

magiclibrarities.net/711-rarities-test-prints-press-checks-and-production-anomalies-english-cards-index.html
speedmtg.com/browse
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Jtms is going to hit $40 after reprinting. Hes blue and not good in a bbe world. Id bet my life on it.

Honestly I think $40 is too high. With lightning bolt being popular, Jace could see $10 if he wasn't already in Legacy. Since he is, plus commander, I could picture a $25 Jace, the Mind Sculptor.

On another note, does anyone know when masters sets are going to include reserved list cards? It feels like they are going to do it any day now, it feels like a real possibility.

Reminder all amerishit stores are scams and that real prices can only be assessed through Cardmarket.

Hey Veeky Forums, I'm going to buy 1000 copies of a bulk mythic. Convince me on which one to buy that's $1 or less. Shill me something that's going to make Veeky Forumslike gains.

mudhole

temporal tresspass, because I have one in yidris but would be willing to swap it out if it was suddenly worth money

what on earth are you talking about. the mythic reprint isn't gonna influence prices much. we'd be lucky to have it drop to 80

Mind's Dilation. awesome commander card with the kind of effect they never reprint

Stop it. You're making the game unplayable for people.

Narset, Enlightened Master. You could totally make that affordable and I'd be ok with that

Why would you waste 1000 dollars like that?

lol that gif

I bought a box of MM17 for €235 shipped and I can get another one for the same, total of less than 470. Should I get the second box?

yes, best master set, it will be creeping up non stop until it reach the original MM set price.

>bulk mythic
I'm in a good mood today, you will thank me later

Actually sounds like a good idea due to commander. Which ia the #1 source for specs right?

It's not a waste if I get 10x my money back next year. I can afford to sit on $1k in cards for a long time.

>buying up anything non reserve list

1. you can lose money with RL too
2. the room to growth for RL cards is very limited

the smartass invest in modern staples who recently rotated out of standard. You have basically a 4y non reprint safety valve.

>buying RL after roughly 2006
The only cards left to corner are shit like Elephant Graveyard in order to shaft the single person who wants that card.

>the room to growth for RL cards is very limited

Ya right, how much is a graded Spiderman #1? He's right guys, it's impossible for Black Lotus to go any higher, better sell all our copies to him.

Thats a logical fallacy only an """investor"""" could be stupid enough to believe. Holy shit just leave our game alone!

>"Magic cards should cost what I can afford and no one should make the price higher by buying copies"

Not much of a game after that is it?

Doesn't the smart person just invest in stocks instead?

go be a faggot somewhere else

Stocks are for normies. Magic cards is where you can see 10x gains really quickly, you don't even have to be smart you just have to not be dumb.

>all amerishit stores are local businesses with high overhead

>implying anyone has ever cared about a store ever
if I can get my shit cheaper elsewhere your store can go fuck itself

It's not like we ever actually need a place to play the game either.

nobody on tg actually plays the game on paper, its played for free on cockatrice and xmage, please dont tell me you still buy magic cards

I actually bought futures on Chandra because of the reprint. I want to be sure the value on my 15x playsets doesn't tank all the way down.

How do you fucking buy futures on cards?
How does it work?

Why is Deftblade Elite suddenly so expensive?

SaffronOlive Pauper Heroic

You can do it at your LGS. Look up how futures work.

I'm not a burger, I don't think I can do it.

I would say if you're actually curious practise with a friend first.

What?

The "fringe playable in Modern" aspect will drop the price.

For long term yes.

How can you ever trade mtg and not know futures options and shorts? How can you afford to play this game? Do you just... buy magic cards? Maybe sometimes trade back to the store? You know thats bad ev and you lose money doing that right?

I opened up a Karn Liberated and Noble Hierarch, along with a foil and normal Eldrazi Temple, should I keep holding? That's what I think I should do, since those cards can either only be reprinted in Masters sets or supplementary.
Still wondering what someone would do with them just in case.

Ameriburger ordering from mcm for the first time. Holy shit you fags get legacy staples for cheap. Got this for around $120 when the same thing costs 200+ in the US. FBB dual lands are also like $100 cheaper too across the board.

Even if you just print proxies I think there's something to be said for the physical aspect of magic. If it werent for that element mtg threads would belong in /v/. Also, only poor people complain about spending on mtg.

Look at Lili or Snappy, mythics hold or raise. Hierarch might lose value if reprinted but it will be reprinted at mythic knowing Wizards.

But I'm not a speculator.

How'd you import from there?

>Also, only poor people complain about spending on mtg.
Reasonable, meantally sound people.

I have a friend who lives in yurop. I basically buy him some extra cards as a tip and he mails the cards I receive. Even with all the shipping and stuff, it is wayyyyy wayyyyy cheaper than in the states. Recently got this FBB savannah for 98 shipped.

Why not just get the white boardered beat up ones for less?

I'm in yurop. Can send cardmarket shit for a cut.

Most normal people just use mail redirection services...

Kek, what a whore.
Is this the dawn of a new business? I think my LGS makes most of its money like that, esporting vintage/legacy stuff travelling to all the Burgerland GPs and PTs.

if you're gonna buy out a non-RL card, at least make sure it's playable in eternal formats

>2. the room to growth for RL cards is very limited
Have you seen what happened with Drop of Honey?
Went from $70~ to $300+ in a matter of days.

I'd wait until Challenger decks come out and a week later I'd buy Fatal Push instead.

That one can only creep up again.

Oh right, it's only a one of. Mmh, it probably won't go down.

I'd say at a 50-100$ difference in price between europe and the us there is.

Why is there a babbys first stock market general?

Baby's first stock market is great. The more people that participate, the better it gets. It's like how Coinbase is happy when other exchanges open. You'd think they'd be upset seeing competition, but when it comes to financial stuff like this, everyone is happy there is more ease of use, arbitrage opportunities, and more people in the financial world. In the same vein, I'm happy if more people play the magic game and the 'game-within-a-game' of the secondary market.

>How can you afford to play this game? Do you just... buy magic cards?
Don't know about OP, but I just buy magic cards. Have tons. Sometimes they lose value, but a lot of them just keep going up and up, particularly RL cards.

I know you're more about talking volume/short-term when it comes to mtgfinance, but I'm curious, who else is going long?

0% long for me. Everything is about the flip. The only thing I would go long on, if anything, would be bulk rares at $0.10. That's because although they lose 2% value per year due to inflation, there is no problem with some of those cards beating the 2% and the flip occurring in other countries at a profit. But still seems meh.

For regular flips I like just taking guaranteed stuff that's just spiked and picking it up off of tiny websites around. I keep an excel sheet and it has about 100 sites of tiny stores around the world on it. If something spikes I will order from everyone and actual game stores not on TCGPlayer.com don't really cancel. I've only found the toxic cancelling practice on TCGPlayer.

If I don't want to do that I'll buy options at my LGS. Tiny amounts of money leading to huge profits is really fun, even if I'm wrong often. I still have 9 months left on my Splinter Twin calls, if they double in value I've turned $100 into $1000, which is a HUGE increase over just buying $100 worth... because I'd only get $200 on them doubling.

I don't get it. How is Splinter Twin going to be profitable?

The reserved list is meaningless.

Yet it's older than most of the players of the game, and has more weight on game design decisions than them.

It's going to get unbanned when JTMS gets banned in 6 months because A25 sales are over.

More like it's going to get unbanned because even Jace is shit so might as well put an interactive deck in.

I don't really care why, if it's unbanned and goes up I'm going to get crazy returns.

I also bought the underlying treasure cruises just incase we see it continue to have crazy presence in commander.

what kind of cards are those on the bottom row?

How on earth is there this many financially illiterate people on this board. Veeky Forums really is full of retards. Who has played in a tournament with expensive cards but doesn't even bother to bing finance options? No wonder people on /r/magictcg are so poor they always want wotc to reprint everything till its worthless. Redditors are even dumber than 4channers, so they probably just buy mtg cards, lose money due to standard rotation, then cry out in autistic confusion, "oh why oh why is playing this game so expensive!"

alternate frame 8th edition test prints with unglued symbols

magiclibrarities.net/711-rarities-test-prints-press-checks-and-production-anomalies-english-cards-index.html

Ok, since so many of you are bad at money I'm going to give you an example of getting options from a normie store that doesn't already do options.

Minimum Wage LGS Slave: Hello welcome to Timmies MTG Store. How may I help you?

You: Hello good sir. I was wondering if you do anything with your MTG cards except for buying and selling. For example, if you allow renting of some of these cards you have in your showcase, or provide options and futures on the value of cards.

Minimum Wage LGS Slave: Well, we do buy and sell cards. And you get bonuses on trade ins! But not that other stuff.

You: Would you be able to do that for me?

Minimum Wage LGS Slave: No, but I can let you talk to the manager for special requests.

Manager: Hi, I heard you have a special request. How can I help you?

You: I was wondering if you offer services for MTG cards, like renting, options, futures, etc.

Manager: Because I'm hypothetical, I don't know what those things are.

You: Renting is where...

Manager: I know what renting is, Spike. What's the other things?

You: Options are where people can "insure" their cards not against fire, or water, or theft, but against secondary market forces. If you know how insanely rich insurance companies always become, options are one of the ways how.

Manager: Insanely rich, you say? I'd like to be insanely rich. How do we create an option here?

You: Well, you have 25 Sunpetal Groves that you think are going to go down during rotation, right? That's quite the overstock. I will promise to buy those from you at the current price 3 months after rotation, no matter what the price is, if you ask me to.

Manager: Wow, if the price goes down, instead of losing tons of money, I can just use my *option* to make sure my business doesn't lose money! Let's do it.

You: Well, not so fast. I think that the value decreasing is unlikely, not impossible. If it was impossible, I would do it for free because it would never happen. Since it's only unlikely, I

1/2

2/2

need to ask for $10 to cover this risk. And the risk part is what makes it like insurance.

Manager: Well, since I think it's very likely, and the $10 plus our cost is still profitable if we sell everything at the current price, I as a logical businessman agree to this option.

You: Great! That was called a "put" option, because you can "put" those cards on me at any time. I'd like to buy a call option from you, which is the opposite, where I can "call" the cards back from you. I'd like the option to buy your playset of JTMS after A25 releases, at the current price.

Manager: If so, why not just buy them now, at the current price?

You: I don't want to buy them for $100 if they're worth $100. I want to buy them for $100 only if they go up.

Manager: I think they are going to plummet in value, due to the supply. It's going to be a $60 card no doubt.

You: So you would have no problem at all taking $10 from me, for the promise that if I want to buy them for $100 each after A25 releases, I would be able to?

Manager: Since that is basically just "promise to take $10 from you", yes, I would agree to that.

You: Great, and since we both owe each other $10 let's just call it even and talk again after A25.

*Post A25 in a totally made up world, JTMS gets added to reserve list or some random shit and hits $200*

You: I would like to buy 4x JTMS for $100 each please.

Manager: It looks like I was wrong, but I am still happy because I bought these as a store for $50. It looks like we both made money today.

You: We did. Options are great.

*Post rotation, where for some reason Sunpetal Grove it doesn't matter, let's just say the price doubles.*

You: Would you like to sell me the Sunpetals at the old, low price?

Manager: No, the cards are worth more now, it is better if I don't use the option.

You: So I made $10 off the option, and your Sunpetals have gone up in value. It looks like we both made money today.

Manager: We did. Options are great.

I don't understand how you could put that much autism into one post. Theres no way you can justify speculators not being evil. People who treat mtg as an investment are killing this game and your example "omg look us speculators always make money due to our jew trickery" fucks over REAL mtg players like me. You just forget that you always making money comes at my expense because I don't understand options and if it was fair they'd make options easy so people like me didn't have to put up with losing money all the time to the likes of fucking investor speculator fucks.

>I've only found the toxic cancelling practice on TCGPlayer.
>speculates on a children's game
>dares to call stores who cancel orders "toxic"

I genuinely laughed, I want you to know that.

The only meaning it has is to keep the good cards out of the hands of the players.
>Jace
>getting banned when he's not even played
Dude

The fall of the western civilization.

Is anyone reading the same thing I am? Is this for real?

Are you just scared of that which you don't understand? That is a supremely naive position to take.

Nah, it's just that buying something that doesn't exist (speculation) is stupid and should be illegal.

>It's going to get unbanned when JTMS gets banned in 6 months because A25 sales are over.
Do you even play modern?

whow

thanks user for the explanation user, its super clear in my timmy's mind now, and don't pay attention to the tumblr commie retards, they are lazy fucks until someone have success and later complains "why not meeeeeeeeeee??? why can't i be successful too while i've never used my brain nor done anything whaaaawhaaaaaaaaaaaa"

>blu hurricane

SHEEEEEIT

>How on earth is there this many financially illiterate people on this board. Veeky Forums really is full of retards.
Dude, just because I think that Splinter Twin spec is stupid, that doesn't mean I'm a timmy standard player crying about card prices. Stop being so paranoid.

I was a little sad that it came back as a 9. But on the flip side, I was pretty stoked to see the Efreet get 9.5. (I bought the Fastbond and Balance already graded)

>I was a little sad that it came back as a 9
Just keep sending it back to them until they give it a 9.5 you dumdum

The centering is pretty bad, as you can see. I knew that going in and hoped that maybe 10s for the other grades might buoy the whole thing up to 9.5, but the other grades just weren't high enough, and it just ain't happening. Like I said, just a little sad. I'll live.

Do I sell my Gemstone Caverns set? It's spiked like a motherfucker right now

>not even Alpha
Yeah, you're a Timmy alright.

>hoped that maybe 10s for the other grades might buoy the whole thing up to 9.5, but the other grades just weren't high enough
How's that work?

Got any pics of your alpha duals?

>How's that work?
It doesn't. But I didn't know that at the time. It wasn't until I saw those severely miscut, but otherwise pristine moxen that I realized it doesn't work like that.

Unfortunately I sent them all 1000 for grading just yesterday, hopefully they'll all come back 10s :^)

Good luck.

Thanks dude. It really means something to have your support. I can already feel my grades went half a point up.

Yes

Where2sell

I'd list on eBay but it's full of scalpers

What do you mean? I've sold plenty of cards on eBay and I've never had any problems.

Can anyone tell me why all the commons/uncommons on speedmtg.com/browse are half or less than half the price of SCG or TCGPlayer? And why everything is just crazy cheap compared to stores?

I thought the prices weren't that great until I noticed the Canadian dollar dropped to 0.77, so for example the last Worldwake Jace, the Mind Sculptor they have listed for $112.50 is actually only $86 US dollars. It seems like buying Canadian right now is a REALLY good option now that the dollar dropped due to Trumps tariffs announcement. And it looks like things are selling on the site, like their Hallowed Fountains sold out at $5, which is $3.86 US dollars.

Tcgplayer if you hate ebay. List for a low price though since you will have no feedback record.

Its cheaper than stores because its not a store. If you understood anything you'd see theres no cart or checkout like on stores. Its a reserve trading site which means you have to load up your account balance to spend money or send in cards to sell unlike pucatrade. But being unlike pucatrade seems to be a good thing because then at least we can't get scammed.