/5eg/ - Fifth Edition D&D General

Dragonborn Ecclesiarchy Edition

This month's UA is next week, before anyone asks.
>Unearthed Arcana: Into The Garbage
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_IntoTheWild.pdf

>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D- 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etool.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tool/

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5elgbt/:
Thread Question - Tieflings, Dragonborn, Changelings and monster races are generally regarded as pariahs or monstrosities in most settings. Have any of them reached high positions in the hierarchies of respectable society in your setting? If not, are there any who are attempting to do so?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/mikemearls/status/971108854468558848
youtu.be/4pvfQtUhtNE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Uncle Mike is live crating a new fighter archetype right now
twitter.com/mikemearls/status/971108854468558848

I've had an egyptian-style Tiefling society and an Aztec-type Dragonborn one, but that's not quite the same thing as what you're asking

Neat, here's hoping he doesn't make it a fucking Cleric.

He's making a Warlord I think
Here's hoping.

>making Warlord for 5E
>it's a Fighter subclass
>using EK as a base
It's going to be a weaker EK or a Banneret clone.

I want to add a construct race to my campaign. Should I use the UA warforged, Keith Baker's homebrew, or some other homebrew construct race?

It's up to you, user. Warforged is the most "official".

>weapon bond is just a ribbon
>tfw no consideration as to whether throwing should be a viable fighting style

Baker's homebrew is superior by far.

>9/15/13/16/8/8

Should I go Gnome Wizard? Or is there a better race for this?

If yes, which is best:
>Rock
>Forest
>Deep

Personally, I'm leaning towards Forest + Illusionist.

Been getting into DnD more and more, but with a shitty 3-11 est shift no fucking games start at good times on weekdays.
End my life.

> Tieflings, Dragonborn, Changelings and monster races are generally regarded as pariahs or monstrosities in most settings. Have any of them reached high positions in the hierarchies of respectable society in your setting? If not, are there any who are attempting to do so?
I am running an Eberron campaign, and I love how much detail each race has put into it. All of them are well-developed and have diverse and multifaceted societies. So yes, all sorts of people, even Drow, manage to climb different ladders and achieve prominence if they put up the work.

it's a bonus action to summon the weapon, doesn't really help

I thought thrown weapons counted as ranged, so they would benefit from the archery fighting style.

Try being GMT m8. Every game starts at 2 am.

Ask your friends if you can do saturday before lunch? That's what my group does.

Exactly.

Maybe, but you can only draw one weapon per turn or two with the Dual Wielder feat. That doesn't work for a fighter with 4 attacks.

Run your character into a spike trap and get better stats.

No, because Archery only applies to attacks with ranged weapons. Throwing a melee weapon is a ranged attack, but the weapon itself isn't a ranged weapon, according to Crawford anyway.

DM new to the system here. My players picked
>Devotion Paladin
>Life Cleric
>Diviner Wizard
>Lore Bard
Started at lvl 1, they got to lvl 4 now.

I suppose over time my best way to challenge them would be things that are most vulnerable to ranged physical attacks, right? They are really sturdy so far.

Are you remembering to play enemies as intelligent creatures capable of using tactics and singling out characters who might be more vulnerable either by positioning or armor?

>Look at the top of his head!

JUST

He is not balding, this is just a hairstyle - the reverse mohawk.

>Have any of them reached high positions in the hierarchies of respectable society in your setting?
My dragonborn was a central player in stopping the Abyss from overrunning the mortal plane, so he was granted leadership of his own magical research organization.

It's a fairly solid party composition, but magic resistance and Con-save abilities would probably give them some trouble. Being able to beat the shit out of the wizard and bard in melee would also be a plus.

Mearls is doing good so far. I like these ideas he's making for this Warlord.

>reclaiming an old ruined town for the party's knightly order
>castle is haunted by the spirit of its last baron, an old distant cousin of one of the PCs
>PC agrees to fight spirit in single combat to put him to rest
>DM puts on youtu.be/4pvfQtUhtNE
>spectral sounds and images of the battle in which the baron died start to play out around us with increasing vividness as the fight goes on

Magic is extremely powerful in DnD. If the majority of the party is casters, it wouldn't be unfair to throw casters back at them. A wizard with dispel magic and a ranger or two with a front line to match the paladin would easily put up a tough fight for your party.
Play your npc's smartly and have them focus fire like a real human group would. The human group should be able to recognize where the threat lies after a turn or two of combat and focus in.
If you use monsters, the monster can ambush the party. The party is on unfamiliar ground, so the monsters will know how to hide in mud, crevices, or escape.
Finally, you might want to start instituting traps. Most of your party is dedicated to finite resources. Traps will help sap away at those resources and make them think twice about how to engage in combat, or if they want to.
Remember that all those classes need a long rest to restore spell slots, so interrupting their long rest because they decided to sleep in a dangerous area is a nice way to add pressure.

Mix and match the above and you can be sure you will start pressuring your players.

Yeah I guess bullying the bard and the wizard is the way to go. Paladin usually does a great job at defending them with sentinel, but maybe I should just use more monsters.

Remember that because of the way bounded accuracy and the action economy work, big groups of low CR mobs can still be a very potent threat to higher level characters.

Do we need 3 threads?

Is there a magic item like a crystal or something that can give magic proprieties to armor, weapons and the like?

No, but you could make one for your game.

Greek Thread is shad fag thread. Mod's aren't doing their jobs. The pastebin is PFG shit, and it's been up for over a day. Fucking janitors. The other thread is on page 10. This is the true current thread.

Zeal cleric with a heavy crossbow can take two shots but without a smite. Is it even worth it?

Zeal's divine strike does not restrict you to melee weapon attacks.

Define "magical properties." The Ruby of the War Mage from Xanathar's turns your weapon into a spell focus, and the DMG's Oil of Sharpness makes a slashing or piercing weapon into a temporary +3 magic weapon. There might be others too, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

What do you guys think/hope the next UA is gonna be?

Its probably next monday

Did anyone catch the stream? What's Warlord like?
Did order cleric do the job better?

More wilderness and exploration rules because the last one was a good start but I think more elaboration would be good, like is the party supposed to roll for getting lost every hour or what.

Honestly? An expansion on the world generation presented in the current one. It was nice, but gives nowhere near enough varied examples.
It will never happen, but it would be nice.

>time wizards confirmed

Oh. Oh! Nice! It's a shame to abandon the shield, but I'm totally going to the second row.

How do the paladin oaths compare to one-another in terms of power? Conquest seems a bit too narrow focusing on fearing people, so constructs and fiends will make for boring engagements. Devotion seems the exact opposite in that it focuses too much on destroying exactly undead and fiends.

It looks to me like Vengeance and Ancients are the ones to look at with Vengeance being the DPS one and Ancients the tank/support one. Is this about right? I have never played one but I want to, so this is based off of just reading through their abilities.

How to make world maps.

Should I take resilient as a vengeance paladin for con saves?

guys, the game is more important right
More than a grill right
Tell me the game is more important
pls

Depends on context.

You should probably prioritize finding a long-term life partner over playing an RPG, user.

I wouldn’t say my grill is more important then DnD. Sure the grill cooks food and provides me burgers and stakes, but the social interaction for DnD has so much more to offer then a charcoal burning metal box.

Now a propane grill, I’ll tell you what that’s a good thing.

How hot is the grill?

Generally a woman who stand between you and what you enjoy isn't going to stay with you for long, and if she does then you're going to be fantastically unhappy.

That said, don't miss the birth of your daughter for game night.

Friends > Girlfriend / Boyfriend

New to the system. I made a charisma rogue because my DM said combat wouldn't be too heavy in the campaign. I've already taken mastermind as my archetype and it just doesn't seem like im getting anything i want out of the rogue class after level 3. Is there a multiclass that can salvage my scheming wannabe supervillain at this point?
Was considering shadow sorcerer because of the high cha and the edge but i have a 13 in int and can *technically* take wizard and despite it seeming more in flavor i don't know if that 13 is enough to make it work.

Take Hexblade

What about a warlock? Scam some dumbass fay or demon into giving you magic powers.

Would it really have broken things if Tempest clerics got lightning damage instead of extra thunder at level 8?

>10 foot knockback every turn
Too good, shut it down. Definitely don't look at Zeal cleric that can abuse booming blade to knockback twice

I did, it's worked out really well for me so far.

I hope the recent death of paizo gets rid of shadfag

Do we actually have the full playtest rules for martial maneuvers and the like? I'd quite like to incorporate that stuff into the system.

What?

Zeal clerics have Tempest's knockback feature, but for thunder damage. Booming blade deals thunder damage on hit and on trigger at level 5 and up

Ahh, gotcha, my mind was mixing that up with sea sorceres 10ft push on force damage.

Swashbuckler would have been a better subclass choice for a charisma-based rogue. Thirding the suggestion of Warlock, though. Bards are pretty strong in this edition, too.

This always happens during burger hours. Apparently it's the result of some drama on another site. One guy makes a thread with an obnoxious joke or a fake link in the OP, then an autist comes along with a second thread, claiming that his is the "real" thread because a single joke in the OP made the first thread unusable. The mods have banned them a few times but they have dynamic IPs. The more it happens, the more I'm suspicious that both OPs are actually the same shitposter talking to himself. Maybe they'll get bored one day and return to Discord or whatever site they came from.

Since no one could respond on the other thread...
Ok, senpaitachi. I want to play an Elf Monk, but I just can't think of a good way to spice up the flavor. How can a notoriously etnocentric european race follow mostly asian traditions? Shit doesn't make any sense. I might just end up picking the Ghostwise boys...

You dont necessarily need to be doing kung fu. Just do some european elf martial art.

Nothing says that elves have to be culturally European (depending on your setting), and monks do not have to be asian.

If anything, long, narrow faces fit asians pretty well too.

>implying Elves have to be European
>implying Monks have to be Asian
>implying Europeans have never visited Asia
>implying Asians have never visited Europe
>implying D&D countries and races directly mirror real-world ones

>How can a notoriously etnocentric european race follow mostly asian traditions?

By not being those things, because it's a fantasy game? Make up your own shit that fits with your idea for the character and then ask your GM "Hey, this cool for the game?".

Simple as that.

What races are "asian" to you? Dragonborn are full blown weebs in my setting but I generally don't see any "asian" fluff in any of the core material.

Fuck I missed the stream, what was the deal with Warlord, is it looking promising?

He literally didn't write the subclass, just threw some ideas

He's making it as a Fighter subclass. He talked a lot about game balance and didn't have time to finish it, so I guess you'll see the result next time..

>When it comes to making something that doesn't use magic Mearls has no fucking clue what to do

Fucking zeal cleric is what the tempest cleric should have been. Like, fucking seriously, they just took the abilities of the tempest cleric and fucking reskinned it.
Not only that, they get more thematic spells too. Like fucking tempest cleric doesn't even get shocking grasp. Instead, you need to fucking get hit in order to knock the enemy back.

More like they glued War and Tempest together to form a highly offense-oriented cleric who takes names and kicks ass

Elves are a inferior race. Prove me wrong.

Gonna be running 5e for the first time next week, everyone's played RPGs before so no issue there, but first time doing 5e, any pitfalls i should try to avoid? We got a Fighter, a Monk, and a Rogue

Your medieval setting should include early firearms, prove me wrong.

They are cute, so they are superior

>watch over me, aniki, while I act like a faggot on Veeky Forums!

Halflings are cuter.

>two shitposts within one minute of each other
>h-he's fast!

Don't fall for the pitfall of thinking this is exactly like previous editions. It's very similar but there are enough differences that it's worth your time to read the book.

Your medieval setting shouldn't include Maximilian plate.

Don't use the random treasure tables unless you want nothing but consumables and weird wondrous items nobody wants.

Read how the rogue's Sneak Attack works. It's the most common thing that new players get wrong. Also read how readied actions work, as that is the second most commonly bungled rule. You can't just delay your turn or "hold your action" in 5e; a readied action must have a specific trigger and a specific action that the character will take if the trigger happens.

Sorry, I thought we were posting bait best reserved for its own thread.

pedo!

Is it worth grabbing some books on DnD beyond? Is it useful? If yes - which books are good ones to pick up?

Even non-pedo is cute.

Nah.

No because a)that product is still in beta b)they can shit down at anytime and you're shit out of luck because it isn't PDF and c)you can get everything in the trove for free.

Cheers, I had no idea what utility it had so I thought I would ask. I will stick to being a freerider then.

>mfw Mike said that they would be happy to keep this edition around for a decade or even two if it still works
Looks like we will be stuck here for a while, boys!

You mean like how they should have been in the first place? Zeal supercedes them in nearly any combat situation. It's either as good, or better.
Not that means it's bad, just that they should have fucking been that way in the first place as both of those classes were extremely poor.

Pathfinder 2e is starting its playtests if you're interested in that user :^)

5e is great and will last a looong time

Dming LMOP for 3 peps, wanting to cater magic items to players.
Rogue got a slighyly buffed Talon
What should Conquest Paladin get?
What should Sorc get?