/btg/ BattleTech General

"More lasers than a Pink Floyd concert" edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: ==================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2018-02-12 - Still getting worked on & now has 24309 pics! Any help with tagging appreciated!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord servers, etc.) Last updated 2018-02-13!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Other urls found in this thread:

mwomercs.com/forums/topic/240673-roughneck-lore-and-blueprint/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Something to get the thread started;
Say that C* loses the Titan yards at the same time as Earth
They've still got all the technical know-how and enough experts left to bootstrap a new shipyard somewhere, but not the resources or real estate to do it alone.
Where do they set up shop?

Same place they did after they lost Titan anyhow. Columbus. Can't beat a giant SLDF drydock built into a hollowed out moon.

Titan only lasted an extra nine months or something compared to the rest of the system IIRC.

Was that an actual construction-capable shipyard or just a fleet base with repair capability?

>the Com Guards had 72 divisions of troops before Tukayyid

It still blows my mind.

Imagine if WoB had 72 full divisions at the beginning of the Jihad. Only the Bears could have stopped them.

That's the same thing really. If you're asking if they could produce components and manufacture stuff like weapons and drives from scratch then no. But that stuff is like insanely difficult to get up and running. Even Titan needed the drives from O'Neil.

The robes killed 2/3 Lev II's anyway and killed a couple genehouses in the Bears with targeted viruses. I bet they could have soloed the Bears if they had all the old Comstar gear instead of the secular boys splitting off.

It took me a while to appreciate the world-building there. ComStar spent *generations* (at least two political generations, at any rate) building the ComGuards from Periphery sweepings, the odd merc, and the institutional remnants of the Hegemony they happened to have inadvertently kept around. The decision to get started on it predated FedCom.

>I bet they could have soloed the Bears if they had all the old Comstar gear instead of the secular boys splitting off.

We would have been so much better off.

>It took me a while to appreciate the world-building there.
It's odd to think how its many of the same writers and beats after all these years, and yet now there is no soul and a general sloppiness to things now. Shit like this huge number of divisions and Ulric Kerensky I love, but if anyone did it now it would be pathetically hokey.

I've posted this before, but here it goes.

I'm usually the one to GM anything (we don't just play BT) in this group, so I was surprised when one of my players volunteered to run a BT campaign. He wanted to run a campaign with a high tech level, but some of the lawlessness of intotech. So I just put DA on the table and he did a bit of research and jumped on it like a rabid shark. I cautioned him that DA had a very low number of mechs compared to vees and infantry, but he insisted. So I helped him set up and run this whole thing.

Basically we found a cache of mechs some Lyran noble had hidden away when Stone dropped his disarmament edict. We rolled through Steiner space after the blackout pretending to the be the authorities collecting tithes and fighting pirates. Of course we were caught eventually. But by that time we had amassed quite the collection of mechs and equipment. So basically the Archon tells us to go garrison a world in the way of the Falcons invasion.

So we land on the world and start entrenching the position. What this practically means is that I start conscripting every able bodied adult into infantry squads and start selling most of our stuff to pay for gauss rifle field guns, and missile carriers (of both types). So when the falcons landed we basically drew them into the city and used light mechs to trap them in deathzones. It is worth mentioning that this only worked because I was a much better player than the GM (which is not to say I am a good BT player in general, just better than the GM).

So the falcons are throwing their troops into this meat grinder, destroying our mechs, but being destroyed in turn by our vees and infantry. Eventually our GM pulled me aside and confessed that he was getting tired of the campaign and wanted to end it in bang. So we handwaved several weeks of fighting and said that most of the city was reduced to rubble, and we were down to just our command lance.

(1/2)

>Putting up conscripted resistance against Malvina's rejects in the initial Falcon Incursion

You gonna get Chaffee'd son. At least you would if I was GM.

In b4 we drop a WarShip on you.

>field guns and missile carriers in a city. Tale as old as time...

At the point he's playing, the Emerald Talon is armed, in system (because it's the flagship present at every new planetary invasion) and fully functional in virgin condition.

They just need to roll up and start calling in the ortillery. Not like they don't do it elsewhere before the Yggdrassil fight over Skye.

Just needs some Hetzers and Demolishers.

(2/2)

Its worth noting that our GM was getting increasingly frustrated with us. The reason he didn't just reduce the city to rubble is because he wanted to give us a "proper heroic death" but we weren't playing along. Which is why I agreed to a final battle.

I don't remember exactly what our command lance was, but I was in a Legacy-03 and I know we had a Sagittaire with us too. Our entire command lance was also tricked out in clantech salvaged from all of the mechs we had taken out. So we move out to engage our foes expecting something like a galaxy command star. Nope, we get Malvina freaking Hazen and an entire star of clan assault mechs (including a Hellstar). Our GM even went on ebay and bought a clickytech Black Rose model for her. After a couple hours of fighting where our GM was getting increasingly frustrated with our survival, we end up taking out a couple of mechs, and it's down to me and one other mech.

So I jump across the map and kill Malvina. I think it was a cERPPC hit to the head that did it, but it might have been a punch or a DFA. At this point our GM burst into tears. He started sobbing and accusing me of poisoning his baby by bringing my terrible infantry and vees into his amazing campaign. Then he just got up and left. Didn't even take his models. Some of the other players grabbed his stuff and took it to him. He ended up giving me the Black Rose "since I obviously wanted it so much" (I had geeked out over the model when he brought it out, and focused a lot on in during the battle). So now no one wants to play BT with me anymore, but I got a nifty model out of it.

I'm sorry, but that's fantastic. I'll read it again when I wake up, just to have something to smile about.

>NEVER PUT AN NPC INTO A WARGAME YOU AREN'T READY TO HAVE KILLED

>We - the WoB - killed Bella Lee at least11 times during a single canon event day.

Sounds like the guy was just too nice to GM for you, or not familiar enough with the lore or the game. I would have just started rolling the nerve gas in on you Chaffee style, then only your mechs and maybe your BA if you had some would be functional. Then if you were still hiding out in the city and refusing to engage in anything but hit and run, I'd start systimatically leveling it with my warship. The fun part about playing the Mongol Falcons is they are total assholes who throw tantrums harder than the Jags when you don't play their game.

Oh everything in this campaign was completely AU (one of the planets we tried to scam was actually populated by secret Blakists, which is where I got the Legacy). So we weren't to mad about Malvina being dropped on us. Also the GM was frustrated by my killing her, it was more the fact that I had derailed his whole ending campaign. Killing Malvina and forcing a withdrawal was just the icing on the cake. He couldn't believe that even in losing, I had to one up him and force a pyrrhic victory.

Like I said, he wanted a grand final battle which is why he didn't do that. I would definitely have warcrimed the shit out us had I been the GM.

>(one of the planets we tried to scam was actually populated by secret Blakists, which is where I got the Legacy).

That's actually a real thing. Jacob's Juggernauts go there in Wolf Hunters.

As a complete casual to BattleTech lore I have no idea who Bella Lee is, but I want to hear the story of how you managed to kill her(?) eleven times in one day. I'm assuming they're some NPC who was scripted to survive who you kept killing but it still sounds like a funny story.

Have you ever read how hard they affected the Dieron canon event? The turning point always reads as the Blakists losing offscreen to stuff like secret infiltrators in the fortress or space support because all the ground battles are Cinci victories.

I haven't read it by that name, but I have a fuzzy recollection of the Cincinnati(?) group playing the Word of Blake at a cannon event and trashing all comers because they were like five dudes playing as a team against a shit ton of randoms. If I remember right aren't they the reason for some serious changes/banning of semi-guided LRMs?

What paint scheme do you Blakists out there like to use on your Battlemechs?

Poor NEA, has to deal with all us losers.

>If I remember right aren't they the reason for some serious changes/banning of semi-guided LRMs?
Yes.

>As a complete casual to BattleTech lore I have no idea who Bella Lee is,
Supposedly the first "general of the armies" for what would become the Republic of the Sphere. Supposedly argues with Stone constantly but still follows his command utterly, because someone on the dev team thinks tsundere is a real thing in real life.

Hey, weren't you that user who asked about Malvina's Black Rose as a AoD clickytech piece a while ago? Nice story BTW

Yeah that's me, and this is why I asked about that piece. I wanted to know how good it was in the game it was originally created for.

Y-you mean real life isn't like my chinese cartoons?! B-baka!!!

Thought so. Cool or not, I hope your friend didn't spend too much on her- clickytech ain't worth much other than for flash bits for other pieces now.

Googling it shows that its going for around 10 bucks right now, which is cheaper than an IWM Shrike, so he probably got a good deal.

Heh, I remember I pulled a Kal Radick 5 years ago from a sun-bleached booster prize set of like 20+. Literally paid off the entire set and I hadn't even opened the rest.

If I had the minis to spare, I'd be repping my 48th Shadow div. Black to white gradient with yellow highlights

One day. One blessed day. One blessed day, Blake willing, I shall have my druthers, and the local BT scene will finally move past pure mech forces and introtech. On that day, I shall commit warcrimes, launch orbital strikes, mass-employ minefields from LRM carriers, and burn cities in a campaign game.

One blessed day.

Praise be!

I like some variety. Plain old White WoBM for main, 42nd Shadow for my general shadow badasses, and 52nd for when the boss battle has arrived.

except they wern't just fighting the bears, they were fighting EVERYONE.

They didn't even have as much of a tech edge as the clans and fewer forces and yet they were able to keep the entire inner sphere on the back foot for even longer? The fighting dirty excuse only goes so far.

>tfw you don't have any amusingly awesome BT stories
Christ even my game experiences are boring.

Owens introduction year is the same as Avatars, so it's probably very close second generation. How it seems to go is that First generation IS Omnis=Copying Clan Omnis, Second generation and beyond =Making Omni version of IS mechs and original designs.

>the losing side of the canon event table for 5 years running as a result of Cincinnati players being placed on the opposing side.

And this is why Cinci is cancer. Between that and their campaign logs making everyone else feel intimidated and shitty. It's not entirely on Cinci, of course - CGL are also a bunch of incompetent assfucks who couldn't stop them even when rigging the games against them.

They were doing a lot of their Explorer Corps work out of the Draconis Combine, so there.

Tukayyid at a stretch I suppose.

The genehouse stuff was the Society though, wasn't it?

Just to follow up on the NEA thing - the troll eventually disclosed NEA's account password on here, as proff that he had set him up when sperged out about something else. IIRC Muninn or CA or someone changed his password for him within a few minutes, but it was still enough time for three or four people to log on to it and take screenshots and shit. Then all that was sent to CGL as well. So that's yet another avenue of proof for the guy who was on about burner phones.

So a buddy introduced me to Battletech the other day, but he couldn't explain why pulse lasers do more damage than regular lasers.

How does intermittently firing a beam of light transfer more energy than continuously firing a beam of light?

BLAKE ELEISON

I think by first-gen he means "stuff from TR 3058."

In which case everything by the Firstarter, Strider, and Owens has a good base chassis but frequenly gets fucked by canon configs, because loldracs.

The Firestarter could do with fewer fixed Flamers (i.e., none), the Owens has too many fixed electronics resulting in wasted mass, and the Strider has SHS.

Nope it was WoB. Society would have just stolen the genehouse and made some horrible mutants out of it. WoB had a hateboner towards the Clans and liked to kill them off for good. So they are basically canonised Grogtech players.

It allows time for the refractive vapor to disperse, while the energy that would be used in that time period charges capacitors, so each flash is stronger.

Isn't refractive vapor just ambient water vapor? The laser itself isn't generating vapor, is it?

It's the vapor from the armor it just burnt

screen from the store page showing how different manufacturer weapons do things differently!

BT 3025 FTW

contracts contracts...

Different colors or tones of colors for different manufactures of lasers please. I wanted this since forever.

When will the be GoG release? I want to play but don't want to give them money, at least not blindly without trying the game.

nah, so far from the beta, we've seen green mediums? red smalls? and blu larges?

also

>how the fuck does a merc company heavily into the red stuck out in the periphery get it's hands on a fucking star league era proto-warship jumpship and NOT have literally every fucking other organisation in the IS trying to kill them, manipulate them , beg borrow or steal them and their fancy toy?

>not wanting to give HBS money when they've been nothing but upfront and transparent the whole way through

Game will definitely be worth buying once they add in proper modding support.

If there would be an advanced campaign building tool like in Neverwinter Nights, then yeah.

We don't know much about the story and the tone, and the terms on which the game will be with the canon classic Battletech. See What that ship even is? And all the SJW bullshit surrounding the studio. I could probably close my eyes on the diversity enforcement and the lack of good-natured white male characters and all that if the story would be really engaging but so far we don't see much. The best solution would be to wait until release, pirate and play it for a while and then buy if you will enjoy it.

>Game will definitely be worth buying once they add in proper modding support.
This.
I really want to be able to mod in my own camos, my own pilots, my own mech variants, my own weapon variants, and make my own maps.

HBS did that sort of stuff for their Shadowrun games, but for some reason they decided to take a 180 on this one.

As of now, I can't see this game having much of a life expectancy after people play through the campaign once.

>but for some reason they decided to take a 180 on this one.

They're probably terrified that the incredibly dedicated Battletech community will add in all the content themselves, thus removing any opportunity to sell an expansion a year later, or a different era standalone after that.

I'm sure the story and weirdly handled diversity situation won't be as bad as everyone suspects.

>complaining about SJWs
What are you, 12?

SJWs are the 12 year olds, user. Or do you think female mechwarriors are unheard of?

>no money until payday March 30th

JUST

What the fuck are you even on about?

Dude have you not been keeping up on things at all? If you haven't, why would you criticize people who have been annoyed by the writers? Jesus.

>SJWs are the 12 year olds, user. Or do you think female mechwarriors are unheard of?
No, I *don't* think female mechwarriors are unheard of, I could even name a few from the lore. What the *fuck* does that have to do with SJWs in this context? Last I checked, SJWs were the ones asking for more of those.

>don't know what's going on
>give opinion on how players view it anyway
wew, retard alert

I'm in the same boat. Holding off until I hear the game is either amazing or that it has unity modtools activated.

Lurk more, faggot.

I like that ugly ship.

Oh, right. I forgot, to you fuckers, SJW is shorthand for "doesn't agree with me."

Different user here, but what's the last time you were here? I can try to link you the threads from the archive if I get the chance. Are you completely unaware of /btg/'s criticisms of the development of the HBS scheme, or just certain aspects? Also, are you familiar with the Roughneck?

More like "disregards fluff", faggot. Lurk more or kys.

>living paycheck to paycheck

JUST

>what's the last time you were here?
Lurking on and off in the threads for years, keeping half an eye on them
>Are you completely unaware of /btg/'s criticisms of the development of the HBS scheme, or just certain aspects?
It kind of vanished in between shitposting, and whining about MoC, Burrs or Xin Sheng. What I've caught is mostly whining about lack of white guys, or how the game is "enforced diversity".
>Also, are you familiar with the Roughneck?
The MWO mech? Yes, I play MWO to get my mech fix inbetween the rare games of BT.

I don't complain, I just want the game to be something more than excuse for progressivism propaganda and otherwise unremarkable writing wise, like for example Mass Effect Andromeda or some modern comic books.
As I said, I don't care about diversity if there is a good story.

Requestion Drac related pics. Mechs, characters, unit insignia, what have you.

>progressivism propaganda
What's next, whining about cultural marxism? Fuck off.

What, do you think a stronk female mechwarrior proving girls can pilot mechs is bad writing?

mwomercs.com/forums/topic/240673-roughneck-lore-and-blueprint/

neck yourself, faggot troll

this is HBS, they've refused to shit up shadowrun games with SJW bullshit, only maintining the stuff it actually had, with the crapsack world making metaracism and such a thing.

oh, don't get me wrong, i think the Argo is freaking SWEET. i just don't understand how bush league mercs somehow GET one. it's like the grey death rolling up someplace and getting a lev III just because, for comparison.

>implying we aren't already 3/4 or more of the planet already living in a cyperpunk hellhole future where paycheck to paycheck IS the 'good safe' option, and anything better is vanishingly rare.

Cry more

Get a room.

>how the fuck does a merc company heavily into the red stuck out in the periphery get it's hands on a fucking star league era proto-warship jumpship and NOT have literally every fucking other organisation in the IS trying to kill them, manipulate them , beg borrow or steal them and their fancy toy?

It's not a Jumpship, it's a large Dropship that can't land planets and takes two docking collars, you would know this by now if you had followed the news about the game instead of bitching about shit.

We don't need to prove that, they were piloting them since the beginning of Battletech.

>Also, are you familiar with the Roughneck?
What the fuck does Randall being an idiot in MWO have to do with HBS game ?

Have this!

>Tfw skimming bg battletech fandesigns and coming across so many cool weapons/equipment

Soon...

>NEVER PUT AN NPC INTO A WARGAME YOU AREN'T READY TO HAVE KILLED
Yep. That's why while I do put the PCs in any RPs I run in canon timeframes, I make sure their force is small and they're focused on a limited area. It allows me to more or less "Make my setting" while still not overwriting the lore, and keeps the awe and rarity of mechs a little more intact, especially when players can't simply take a hop skip and a jump down to mech-mart for all their mech purchasing needs.

Such as?

m8, I'm sorry but WoB under Cincy was damn-near winning the war with the meagre force they started with. With 72 divisions? It would be game over!

If I posted a WoB Level III that I've put together for a Chaos March campaign would that be normal or is it too much?

Is this place more fan-made mechs and discussing fluff or do people post home-made units like on the OF?

do it

People do post their doods for campaign play, expect to get critique for it, going from It's shit to actually useful advice and then some cheesy advice aswell.

It's his own damn fault for trying to force a railroad on the game. If he wants an audience to tell his story he should just write a crappy novella like everyone else.

I was using 51st in the hopes that they weren't going to be killed off early. They did make it to the showdown on Terra, and it also did give me good reason to have an Omega in their colors, but they sadly weren't one of the missing "To be continued?" divisions announced when the Jihad arc wrapped up.

They were a pain in the ass to paint, too. After that point, any regiments I made used simpler painting techniques. I can't wet or dry blend to save my life, so I tried five-shade gradating not counting black and white, made with different paint ratios I have since forgotten.

Go ahead, user.

If you post it, you'd be better to include the criteria you're trying to meet with the force. Simply posting a bunch of mechs without context will probably get you chewed out from people who'd have done it differently, because they had different criteria in their minds.