/awg/ Alternative Wargames General

Fishy edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks, or people's homebrew wargames. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Ghost Archipelago, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, Beyond the Gates of Antares, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

files.privateerpress.com/op/errata/Prime Digest Rules-2017 v4.pdf
files.privateerpress.com/op/errata/Primal Digest Rules-2017 v4.pdf
files.privateerpress.com/op/errata/New-Core-Rules-Sept2017.pdf
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5OHGgAx7q66NUdvUFp3LWVQRlE&usp=drive_web
youtu.be/MT0AjLGkkGY
privateerpress.com/press-releases/privateer-press-announces-monsterpocalypse-hobby-miniatures-game
monsterpocalypse.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Did someone say fish?

What a model.

Indeed, I did!

It borrows from Pisceans, but don't tell anybody.

Is it fish posting time?

Post more models.

I think it is.

Asked last thread, but what are y'all working on?

Nice trips. Currently I'm trying to get my flgs to let me buy some Deepwars models through them.

Opinions on bushidos fishman pirates?

Quads last thread, trips this thread. I'm on a roll!

They're alright. Nice sculpts, but the Jung Pirates just don't capture me like some other factions.

I'm Sliverwheel all the way even though they are sorta generic. Like the child soldier and animal style army.
So y'all play bushido?

Almost forgot how much editing sucks on my shitty desktop. I really need to replace this thing.

But now I can just leave this thing to process.

Yeah, I dig Silvermoon as well. Being able to take a bunch of sumo wrestlers just amuses me.

I want to start playing, but there's not really a scene around me and with my work schedule it's just too difficult to set up times to do demos for new games.

I'm blessed with a bar/game center near by that has a small but dedicated following that plays every Wednesday, but sadly we lack variety in factions. Its pretty much all orochi and cult of..... players.

Dude, that fish got triforce!

Nice!

Here in Utah there's one shop I know of that sells Bushido models. I would probably go either Ito, Prefecture, Silvermoon or maybe Temple.

Is it cool to talk about Warmachine/Hordes, or whatever the game is called now? I remember it being interesting when I saw it played about a decade ago, and would not mind getting more into it. Links to the books would be even better.

The rules and stat cards are already free on PP's website. They are nice like that.
files.privateerpress.com/op/errata/Prime Digest Rules-2017 v4.pdf
files.privateerpress.com/op/errata/Primal Digest Rules-2017 v4.pdf
files.privateerpress.com/op/errata/New-Core-Rules-Sept2017.pdf
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5OHGgAx7q66NUdvUFp3LWVQRlE&usp=drive_web

Yes, it is.
Personally no idea how many people here play it, though.

>not posting fairy princess cavalry

I've got Company of Iron coming in the post. Small-force Warmahordes is where it's at for me. Khador can't run jacks with the rules, unfortunately, but really... I only buy Khador for collecting.

I SHOULD be painting my warzone stuff, but I can't be arsed to do that today.

Can't decide between working on Malifaux or Dark Age.

I plan to buy that as well. I have a small Cygnar collection (Mk II Cygnar starter, Mk III starter's blue half) and some random models I liked (Ashlynn and Piper of Ord from the Minicrate, a merc sniper guy, some Orobos tribal girls), but would be nice to actually play with them, only on a casual basis as tournament-style gaming horrifies me and makes me think of all the awful tournies I've been to.

>mountain squidmen
>not North Georgia Mudsquids

Doing up all the snow on my BMG bases, and my Malifaux Tara crew. Got a new recipe for doing it that looks way better, so I've gone back and redone it all. Going to finish it off tonight, then make a start on Jason Blood, Etrigan and Arkham Knight Sniper

My WHISPER kickstarter pledge arrived, and I'm very hyped.

I have five of these mechs (two in a crouched/superhero landing pose) and four of the Zone of the Enders style flying ones. Plus two of the weapon packs, which come with two different design beam rifles (one held two-handed) and a variant beam saber pose.

They're made of a very dark and hard resin, sharp details, basically no flash, bending or mould lines. You get two heads on the basic mechs, one that's basically the Nirvash/Arbalest face and one that's a blank visor.

All I need now are some clear perspex bases and I'll be set. In the meantime, I've washed and built one ready to paint.

Nice! I was eyeing those but didn't go in for it. You the same chap working on the cold war with mechs game?

And to finally aettle the debate that I am neither Tom from Dice Tower or Zee Garcia, have an un-boxing!

Sorry if it's a little shoddy, first thing I've filmed in damn near a year.

youtu.be/MT0AjLGkkGY

I am, yes. Half the mechs will get painted Russian green, and the rest in the urban grey my NATO forces use.

I figure that way if I use clear bases I can also use them for Star Eagles.

Next step is find some pilot figures, probably Ground Zero or Khurasan for Soviet pilots in hefty overall/spacesuit gear and find generic skinsuit models for NATO pilots. Comedy option, get the 15mm Girls and Panzer team and go full high school GET IN THE ROBOT...

How tall are those things? I know the KS said 15mm, but can you maybe snap a picture next to some 15mm vehicles and infantry if possible?

Will do when I get home. I'd eyeball them from memory as a bit bigger than a large HGB mech (a bit taller than a Kodiak/Cobra, say).

For pilots I've just found Alternative Armies have 15mm girls in 80s style sailor school uniforms, it is time to get properly super robot anime...

Depending on my mood, varying between a few Dystopian Wars land starters and writing a set of Horse and Musket and Magic rules. They’re mostly finished, but need to do spells and points

Anyone tried out the new Walking Dead skirmish game? Is it worth trying or just generic.

>Is it cool to talk about Warmachine/Hordes
There are a few of us here that play it. There's also a general thread that crops up from time to time, but it's been in hibernation for a bit since one or two disgruntled anons made it their lifegoal to shitspam it every time it cropped up.

This is an OK spot to get general info / perspective on the game. For deeper discussion, you probably want to go join lormahordes or one/all of the facebook groups. So ask away, we'll help if we can, or point you in the right direction if not.

All that said - it's a game with freely available rules. As with any such system, best way to see if you're interested is to dip your toe in. Download the rules, grab some proxy models, find a friend / family / unwilling victim, and get a couple games in.

ORCS

I'm glad that we have some mountaineers.

Putting together five armies for the yearly Mechwarrior tournament near me. And I've got two squads of Oddzial Ozmy's Husari primed and ready to paint

>Asked last thread, but what are y'all working on?

Trying to pluck up the enthusiasm to go back to looking at a half-finished homemade wargame. Skirmish, campaign system, model agnostic-ish. Just haven't really been happy with the activation system we've got for it, and can't seem to find a system that makes me go "oooh, that".

I made the mistake of replaying Half-life 2 and suddenly being upset again it will never have closure. What minis would help me find the closure I need through muh homebrew? So far I have found Khurasan makes great Overwatch stand-ins for 15mm. Right now all I really need is a Strider--the actual vehicles are all easy to find counts-as and the rebels are trivial too. Again, 15mm.

>Zone of the Enders style
I haven't seen these minis. How good are the cockpits on the designs?

Sadly not all that well endowed, but they have the angular feet and heads

What even is the point of an orbital frame if the pilot isn't seated in an enormous penis?

That's a rhetorical question. There is none.

Are flanking forces worth it in dystopian wars? I havnt played since way long ago so maybe things are different in 2.5, but it feels like not having stuff on the table for so long will det my fleet ocerwhelmed before the flankers can pay off at all.

Calling all grognards, I need your wisdom.
I have recently been struck with the idea of making a game and while it seems like a fun idea, it's also generic enough that I am sure somebody must have already made it.
The idea is a wargame between various concepts of the afterlife, where dead people fight in whatever manner they think that the next life looks like.
For example, a bunch of vikings with Odin and Thor and Einharjar, beating up some Abrahamic angels while Greek ghosts mill around Hades.

Does this already exist?

I'm still a huge fan of warmachine. I'm into way too many minis games but warmachine is still one of if not my favorite to actually sit down and play (Less so to paint to be honest though).

We need more gunpowder fantasy

There is Purgatory by Underestimated Games, but it's strange and confusing. And then there are all the games with a single pantheon as a protagonist, like Mythic Battles and Wargods

>games with a single pantheon as a protagonist, like Mythic Battles
There's a ragnarok expansion/version, coming next year with Norse mythology, and probably more down the road.

Oh shit, MonPoc is back!
privateerpress.com/press-releases/privateer-press-announces-monsterpocalypse-hobby-miniatures-game

>instead of using pre-painted collectible figures to play, the new game’s most noteworthy difference is its use of highly detailed resin and metal hobby miniatures, which players get to assemble before playing.
Fuck yeah. I have never liked pre-painted models, and this is going to definitely warrant a purchase from me.

I'm just bummed that my old figures won't be tournament viable.

Same. That is the only thing that bugs me about the new release. I am happy that there are no more blind boxes at least.

Let's be honest, anyone that thought blind boxes would come back in this day and age just wanted to see the game fail again.

Wait what confrontation is coming back?

It was announced like a year ago, but those Frenchmen have been slow to act. Kickstarter for the old minis in April, and new sculpts next year.

My group just wants to play warhammer and I just want to play these what do?

Where were you in the last three /awg/ threads?

Not here.
play both.

Play WHFB 6th Edition as the middle ground.

u fukin wot

Just base them correctly and tell everyone complaining to not be a fag.

>That rifle pointed right at that dude's head.

Even with all the prepwork for a weapon like that to ever fire, still.

>MonPoc is coming back
Yay!
>No more blind box shit
Yay!
>No more pre-painted
Meh. This part never bothered me that much, but I suppose the "pre-painted minis will destroy the industry!" grogs scream the loudest.
>No word on whether or not peoples old models will be viable in any sort of way
But I wanna use my bugs. I don't wanna have to buy all my shit over again. Are they changing what sort of bases models will be on? What about terrain? Will we need to paint all of that too?

Not a lot of info here other than "coming back, not painted, not random, six factions."

To be fair, I'll probably pick up the new sculpts anyway. They look nicer than the old ones.

Different scale confirmed. You'll have to buy new dudes, or mix and match, Primaris Marine style.

There's more info on the official website, including a little teaser video with sculpts and renders.
monsterpocalypse.com/

Pre-painted stuff was made out of a different plastic, they probably had to work with a different company and now they can use the same people they use for their warmachine production. Also it was probably more costly to have the things painted.

you are all niggers for not posting images on an image board

New middle, Old Right, Warmachine Left.

I for one will refuse to play against anyone with old monapoc shit because it looks like toy garbage

Going to an Epic Armageddon tourney on Saturday, pretty excited.
What's happening gaming wise with you awg?

Building AoS + Bloodbowl minis, got a bunch of WHFB shit in the mail for teaching my SO 6e WH.

Might teach them the song system for fun little skirmishes haven't decided yet.

Holy shit dude, I'm not even play the game but if players of this game have that attitude its not even worth starting.

Another Monpoc player here. If dudes want to field older stuff and it works, let 'em. I'm gonna buy new product so PP has some incentive to keep making newMonPoc stuff and encourage others too, but I've got like $1,400 sunk into the old game at this point and understanding wanting to use what you have.

Dude most tabletop players have a strong feeling for visuals, that's why we play tabletop.

Do you enjoy playing against grey plastic hordes of dudes? Or do you prefer well painted customized armies?

Wargaming is a visual hobby and if you're going to put down mcdonalds toys I'm not going to paly against you.

This pretty much confirms all the rumours about how badly Warmahordes is doing right? Regardless I'm fucking hype I loved Mon-Poc, bummed my minis won't be valid since I own two full factions.

I've seen this bait before, but I'll humour you:

>if you don't play with the exact right painted miniatures for me we're not playing

Trust me mate, nobody wants to play you at the LGS anyway.

Its just the shitposting from /wmhg/ bleeding over, since its also made by PP.

I can totally understand why PP is making the move. We are talking about a product line from 10 years ago. I don't think they still use the same manufacturers from back then, since that was the height of their Chinese dealings fucking them over. Add on changes to sculpt quality over the years and the changes in market trends and fads, and a straight resurrection would have sucked.

It'll be how they handle it that I'm a little worried about. PP hasn't had the best PR lately. I'm hoping MKIII taught them something and they'll be a bit more open about the re-release, this scale line isn't going to cut it the long run. Just put out a line about wanting to start with a clean slate, and I think a good chunk of players will be understanding. Obviously not all, since that's impossible, but an earnest line sells better than an asspull one.

We get it you're an insufferable cunt, you can stop posting now.

if PP was doing horrible they wouldn't reboot an old franchise

>I responded to the bait but you're not allowed to

Or they're desperate to stop hemorrhaging sales.

Warmahordes still gets quite a few regular players at the FLGS near me, but from what I've heard sales are way down.

Wasn't me quoting us both lad, we're cool.

God I love people using painted toys and rubbery board game figures as wargaming miniatures. Reminds me of the old days.

I mean there have been stories about the CEO crying before board meetings and worried that the employee paychecks won't clear but there's not a lot of evidence beyond anecdotal "warmahordes doesn't sell" and these stories

PP doesn't have the turn around that GW has though, like each month there's a new AoS army coming out while PP barely puts out one box of models. They're on MK3 now too, and even after following GW's business practices (pushing the size of the game up, introducing giant super models) they've bled their player-base dry. After a certain point you have all the troops you need and then you pickup one caster a year and you're set right?

At least that's as much as I understand about the theory of warmahordes doing poorly. I know it's big in the states but I'm in Canada and it doesn't exist. There's one small annual even which gets like 16 people and none of them have painted armies. One guy has his armies primed.

It's depressing.

It's somewhat anecdotal, but from talking to one of my local FLGS managers they've cut down their PP stock dramatically as it just wasn't selling much anymore.

Another is no longer stocking it entirely, citing increased distributor prices making it no longer viable.

Do they stock AoS?

Yep, AOS, 40k, Infinity, Malifaux, Bolt Action, etc.
They sell pretty much every wargame I know of

Too bad they went back on prepaints. For a silly side-project game, I don't feel like painting that much stuff. Plus PP shit is notoriously bad for resin quality.

they say resin and metal, so the big guys will probably be metal

I have a vague sinking feeling new Monpoc will be priced equivalent to WMH and be as shit as the plastic warjacks were.

Heavy jacks are 25 quid for a comparably sized PP plastic model.

>fuckoff metal kaiju

oh fuck no i remember metal warbeasts
i remember metal everblight

stop this tomfoolery

There's another huge elephant in the room here, and it's called Adeptus Titanicus

My understanding is GW has spent ages making sure those titans will be hard plastic, with as close to Forgeworld detail as possible.

Mechs + 40k + Epic nostalgia, in plastic, based on the FW Titan designs will probably demolish Monpoc.

I don't think adeptus titanicus competes with monpoc, monpoc is like "hey you liked king of tokyo? how about you try this"

Titanicus is like "hey 40k players, look at these tiny robots"

It'll probably underdeliver and underwhelm, just like any other GW sidegame endeavour.

Bloodbowl is pretty good at least

I dunno man, GW are still the giants, bloodbowl is still kicking and is still playing epic, a new version of titanicus will do great

Bloodbowl was alive and well before the "reboot" and GW is nothing than just another company that produces suitable miniatures

>runs away in french

Seriously, if they actually go for metal monsters/mech, the game is dead. I remember metal 'jacks and the Khador gap. Or how I got undercooked fucking warpwolf with metal so brittle I could snap it without tools.

How do you think he lost the first eye. She never learns.

It'll be like their larger models now, resin bodies with finer parts made of metal.

Well that's the thing, everything is anecdotes. Things being good, things being bad, anything inbetween. We've got no fact and people just filling things in with their own biases. So I'd take anything anyone says with a grain of salt.

There is no nostalgia for me because they will be using whatever the most modern vehicle and titan designs are.

Fuck those I want real titans back.