CthulhuTech

How is CthulhuTech?
I’ve been debating between it and Delta Green. How is the mecha customization and combat?
The protagonists aren’t shitty highschoolers right?

Other urls found in this thread:

drivethrurpg.com/product/156677/CthulhuTech-V2-The-Shadow-War-Open-Beta
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Really shit system. It's easier to crit fail if you have two in a skill then just one. Weirdly magical real shit in the pre mades, but that can be ignored. Magic blows unless you play the psionic dude.

Mech combat is alright.

Realm* fuck phone posting

Would I be better off with Lancer or ChromeStrike and home brewing organic enemies?

I don't know enough about either of those to say for sure. I would prefer Jovian Chronicles but I'm sure all of the games mentioned work better system wise than Cthulhutech.

I like it. SJW disliked one or two instances of sex slavery and clones, though the same SJW love Eclipse Phase, which feature transfuta genetically engineered sexrobots, so I dunno.

Really good setting if you like that kind of things. Decent system for what it is trying to do. Would recommend.

It's three different systems bolted together and doesn't exactly tell you that. Just make sure not to mix Tagers with Investigators or either with Mech Pilots. Core math is a little bit screwy but the mechanic can still be fun.
Do not structure your adventures the way that the book tells you to. The given "adventures" are all painfully boring and railroaded and break the first rule I mentioned.
Take what you want from the setting and disregard what you don't like. It's a hodgepodge of Lovecraft and Anime stuff without being faithful to the source materials anyway.

Honestly, Delta Green is a better system though.

Is there a system made with Pacific Rim/EVA style game sin mind?
I really just wanted giant robots punching giant monsters

Always the problem there was with neotenics and some change-at-will sex + prostitution related to that, which honestly is kinda... welll, diffiuclt to argue that is' pretty sketchy.

THE Evangelion RPG is without a doubt Bliss Stage. It's honesly more fucked up than what Gainax did, believe it or not.

But if you're looking for tactical combat, don't go there.

CthulhuTech suffers from a notable tier system, with characters from different tiers mixing poorly at best and at worst leaves one player either alive or bored and the rest dead or bored because of mismatched powers. The tier list is:

- CthulhuMech, the hypothetical mix of Para-Psykers and Mecha. This is not intended to be played this way, but it is theoretically possible.
- Engels, for when you want to get your Evangeli on.
- Mecha, which nets you a normal mecha game.
- Tagers, for when you want to play a Guyver game.
- Para-Psychics, after a bit of leveling they can evolve from "barely able to teleport across the room" to "teleport suitcase nukes into space to deal with the Migou because the rules are poorly worded".
- Military, for when you want to operate in operational operations.
- Investigation, in case you think that Call of Cthulhu does not have enough guns.
- Engel/Mecha pilots without their machines, because they put a lot of points into piloting their suits so they have little to go by on their own.
- Nephilim, who can use mind control to give orders to their personal eldritch attack dog which will inevitably turn against their controller and kill them if they're not shut down fast enough, rendering them useless.

If you absolutely want to play CthulhuTech go with the Tagers, because there's quite a few other games that do the other things better (same goes for Tagers as well, to be honest).

And that's perfectly okay.

CthulhuTech made the design decision that when you're piloting a mecha, you can absolutely crush any mortal. That is perfectly healthy decision, and indeed the only one that is both logical and the best for long-term gameplay.

Yes, when you are a mecha pilot, you absolutely muder the psionic on the ground. Why wouldn't you? That's sane.

CthulhuTech is one of the very few RPG that actually care about powerlevel and is able to create many tiers of powers inside the same game. That is a plus in my book.

Cthulhutech has a ton of weird, out of place seeming and super sketchy sex stuff. Things like the goddamn rape box machine, the neotenics, the Shub-Niggurath mindrape furries, the fact that almost every sample adventure involves either prostitution or sex slaves. I get that they're trying to put across the idea that humanity is being kept complacent and relatively sane against the horrors of the night by indulgence and distraction, but there was a point in which it stopped being a stark part of the setting and started being masturbation fuel.

This is the X'an-tuum Violator. In layman's terms, it is a magical/technological device that draws mana from you and up to eight other people at the same time by raping you to death. But yes, there's also the sexual slavery, the pedo sexual slavery, the furries and what have you.

Can anyone share a pdf Rulebook?
Beggar being beggy here.
Thanks.

Here's the playtest rules for 2e which is looking to fix the issues of the first game. Currently it's still in development but the designers occasionally post on Reddit letting people know the project isn't dead.

Battle Century G.

>SJW disliked one or two instances of sex slavery and clones, though the same SJW love Eclipse Phase, which feature transfuta genetically engineered sexrobots, so I dunno.
Fuck off applesponge. People hate CT because it's a shitty system and full-on author magical realm.

Needs more rape

>And that's perfectly okay.

It isn't when you have all of them, or even just a few of them, in the same party. It's the decker problem but worse - the game can only reasonably work if everybody plays the same tier (bad for longevity) or if you have long swaths of solo play (bad for investment).

In fairness, that may have been the Lovecraftian influence. Two of his most famous stories, The Shadow Over Innsmouth and The Dunwhich Horror, deal with rapey aliens entites using human females to procreate.

>applesponge

Yeah, but does it have to be in every single sample adventure? I think rapey alien entities are a given in the setting, and I think the idea of humanity only staying sane because they're too oversexed, drugged up, or otherwise distracted to comprehend the nature of their horror is a fine idea as a setting theme, but there's a point at which it stops being part of the setting and starts being excessive to the point of magical realming. We really didn't need the X'an-tuum Violator, it could have just tortured people for magic power or left it unspecified, but no. Instead it's literally a magic rape machine. And it's not even the only one in the book either.

Honestly Cthulhutech is one of those settings where I like a lot of the core concepts and a lot of bits, but its mired in weird and clunky mechanics and some baffling choices. Who thought Shub-Niggurath having mind-control rape furries was a good idea? Not even monstrous semi-humanoid animals or devolved humans. They're literally just hot furry monstergirls who mindfuck you into fucking them to death. It's the dumbest. Also I forgot, but the X'an-tuum Violator isn't just a rape machine, it's a literal nazi rape machine. Cthulhutech has at some point in its history a nazi rape factory.

Oh well, at least we'll always have the happiest little abomination ever. Just look at that smile.

>How is CthulhuTech?
It's an awful system. Decent setting. You can have fun with it, but don't expect it to be balanced at all.
>I’ve been debating between it and Delta Green. How is the mecha customization and combat?
Mech customization is pretty much non existent. Combat is basically, if you're in the biggest Engel around, you can bully everything else. Some rules are pants on head retarded.
>The protagonists aren’t shitty highschoolers right?
You can play soldiers or whoever else you want.

I really dig some of the artwork and monster designs though. It's a well illustrated book.

If you want to play a good mecha game that takes anime inspirations, go with Battle Century G. It has a lot additional material beyond the core, real solid core rules, and is pretty easy to get into. You can also customize your mecha and whatnot. It's build to imitate super robots, but you can customize it to whatever you want, including non-mecha material like Persona. It's got amateurish art, but don't let that turn you off. It's real good.

Bliss Stage mentioned here is the Evangelion RPG without being Eva. It's sort of weird because a lot of it is freeform. It's giant robots/constructs fighting giant monsters in dreamspace.

Adeptus Evangelion is the meme option. Basically giant robots fighting giant monsters. It's a clunky mess, and I don't recommend it.

Here's some imminent.

If they have not changed much since the initial mk2 then it still has all the same problems with none of the fixes.
Such as the fix for the crit fail problem and the scaling being dumb at 50,and playable at 10.

What does Applesponge even mean?

Bad mechanics are more triggering than any SJW bullshit and CT has really bad mechanics.

Battle Century G is a good shout for mecha combat, yeah.

A sponge, who is apple-y.

for real though it's a made up dumb term, entirely made to make fun of dumb terms like soyboy.

Yeah I'm gonna say Delta Green is the better Lovecraft system.

CthulhuTech is fun for a joke but it really doesn't hold up as a mechanically sound RPG, unless you just play it for the mechs in which case don't call it a fucking Lovecraft game, play Mechwarrior or some shit.

Delta Green is baller as fuck and the true patrician's choice in Lovecraftian RPG, particularly the new edition.

Clunky system with a cool if you don’t think about it too much setting. I’ve run a couple cool games with it the tigers are the best part. I’d recommend adapting it to something else, maybe genesis now that it’s out?

There’s a V2 pdf for tagers that adds some cool customization for the tagers but gets a lot of the rules bloat and weird poker mechanics. They’ve hinted at other player races (snake people, ghoul tagers) at last gencon but they haven’t updated the beta in ages so probably vaporware to be honest

I'm also going to plug Delta Green. It's great, I run it for my group. If you're looking for a mecha type thing then no, it isn't what you want, but it's a great system.

Yeah, Delta Green is the way to go if you want a Lovecraftian horror game. If you want a more general horror game, I'd say go with core Chronicles of Darkness instead.

>chronicles
>not nWoD 1e

oh so it's like the nazi rape machine in Urotsukidoji

yeah no it's hentai influence

if Cthulhutech was more overt about being a 1980s horror hentai anime RPG it'd be a lot more well-received

what I'm saying is, you should totally put Dr Faust Münchhausen II in your CoC games.

>oh so it's like the nazi rape machine in Urotsukidoji
Funny you mention it: the Nazis built one of the first fully functional ones under Dachau only for it to be destroyed by Allied forces.

Of course there's more fucked up shit like the magical baby battery.

>foetus batteries
I knew I remember seeing these, instead of some fucked up fever dream

Oh no, they are very real. As is the psychics who use their powers to form unwitting harems.

>According to its most primitive steam-driven plans, the Violator appears to be a massive engine, with varying phallic probes on automated articulated arms and intravenous stations around nine reclining chairs – each designed to hold and restrain a Human being. It is designed to be built above a ritual space, functionally raining down whatever it collects onto the spell below.

>However, the few madmen who have actually built this device have created something more advanced. The X’an-tuum Violator found in the 1940’s was built on internal combustion principles, powered by a gigantic airplane engine. The automated articulated arms with phallic probes were more advanced, as the victim was suspended in such a way that he could be positioned in any way the sick operator desired.

sublime

Yes, CthulhuTech can be really kinky like that.

What is the male one supposed to be?

Don't forget that there is a CthulhuTech V2 in works.

A panther.

Yep, but the last update is getting close to two years ago. Get it here:

drivethrurpg.com/product/156677/CthulhuTech-V2-The-Shadow-War-Open-Beta

Lovecraftian nightmare.

This is what you do, user.
Pick up CthulhuTech. Proceed to flip though it, skim the text and look at the pictures. Feel free to make approving sounds if you feel like it.
Then stop, bin the book, and go read Delta Green instead.