MonPoc is back

monsterpocalypse.com

Jesus fucking christ, took them long enough.

Other urls found in this thread:

monsterpocalypse.com
riverhorse.eu/pacific-rim-extinction/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

NO FUCKING WAY
EIGHT YEARS I'VE WAITED BUT IT WAS SO WORTH IT

I usually don't like PP models, but seeing them go FULL CARTOONY actually seems kinda cool.

Goddamn niggas, where is the hype? Bunch of teenagers on this board. I still have full Martian, GUARD, and Ubercorp factions lying in boxes. This is going to be so great. I don't even care that the old stuff isn't compatible.

I even checked just the other day in the idle hopes of some news. Never thought they'd actually bring it back.

It'll be nice to see all the S2 factions eventually get more ranges.

Fucking sweet. Never got a chance to play the original game much due to my friends being lame but own a lot of th figures. Really hope this gets a scene again.

Toho license when? I wanna play Shin Godzilla and his weird tail children

Aww FUCK YEAH. My planet eater babies are BACK!

I fucking love the planet eater aesthetic with how blobby and adorable the little ones look. I might have the get some even if I don't have anyone to play with, just so I can paint and enjoy them.

Finally, after 10 long years, I can finally break out my box and start sm-
>Due to the changes in scale, only the new miniatures will be acceptable for organized play
Well fuck you, too.

>monsterpocalypse.com

FUCK YEAH i have ton of planet eaters !!!

got some bad news.

>please buy shit again.

Well yeah. I figured as much considering the scale change. I'm just happy they're back, plus I can put my tiny planet eaters next to the big ones and have it be like primaris marines next to regulars.

>No more blind boxes
I am actually happy about this. I wasn't interested in the original version because I can't stand pre-painted models, but this is too tempting.

I think that the sculpts definitely work at the scale. I am hoping to see them show off other factions for now.

will the game played in a map with squares, or is now more like a clasic wargame, i loved 2008 version with all those buildings and the power zones ect.

let's see if PP redeem themselves after WMH mkiii debacle.

to those who played the first run of the game, what faction had the best blitzing capacity? I always play the best shooting or blitzing faction

With the bases being square, and the starters coming with a mat, I think it will be board game.

Fucking explodohawks, man.

What factions do you anons want to start with? I’m between the Terrasaurs and Lords of Cthul. The former because I’m a sucker for traditional, big dinosaur kaiju, and the latter cause I always thought they had the coolest looking models.

Don't get too excited. PP is still notorious for starting up side projects and dropping them unceremoniously.

>Level 7
>High Command
>shitty Bodgers board games
>Undercity

MonPoc will always be second in priority to WMH so its lifespan is already limited. As soon as the hype wears off then they'll just start ignoring it until it dies.

Guard because no one likes guard..

Also since they aren't prepainted now, I can paint any anime scheme I want.

they pushed Level 7 for 3 games despite no one buying it.
High command was a shit game and they still pushed for multiple expansions and starters

blitzing, the Shadow sun sindicate, overpowered as hell they could teleport via downtown high rise, and with Katanas, tanks with chain laser effect, and Zor-maxin he could smash your monster really fast.

I own a ton of the original stuff, including everything GUARD that they ever crapped out, and I can't wait to buy back in.

A fresh start's the only way to go, otherwise new players would be buying up old secondhand product instead of the new stuff that will actually make the game succeed.

Let's hope it does well enough for all of the Series 2 factions to be finished. After that, I don't care if it doesn't get any more support, as long as they keep it in production.

I'm going back into GUARD full bore, with Martians as a secondary, and I'll dive into Ubercorp and Tritons if/when the Series 2 factions hit.

Can't wait to paint a TTGL Laser Knight.

PP just has no loyalty or faith in their own product. their goal is to push the newest product and let anything before hang out in limbo. They learned that they sell more models from hype than by supporting a game.

Look at their Forge World equivalent project started last year: Black Anchor. They dont even bother making their huge base models available for general release. They just make as many as hype demands, fuck the retailers and players.

Look at CID, every other month theres a host of new models being tested for ONE faction while the rest of the game sits on their hands. Then once those models are out that faction is ignored.

All this needs to succeed is two waves to complete all the OG factions and continued production of the material. Doesn't really matter if they keep releasing new stuff longterm as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT the building was skycraper.

Huh, looks like two monsters per side is the new standard going forward. That's interesting.

For shooting, you're going to want Sky Sentinel with GUARD.

Sky Sentinel was shooting-focused himself, and buffed his supporting jet fighter units to an UNREAL degree. He was pretty much Shock and Awe: the mecha.

Well color me curious- I missed the original wave of MonPoc, despite it being in my FLGS, so I'm interested in dabbling here.

The idea of just one giant monster and a handful of tiny units is definitely my sort of pace- I love painting minis but the amount and repetition of fully fledged armies often gets exhausting.

Fuck, I'd love to play this game, but theres no way there will be a scene here

They better bring back Voltron

If they did, it'd probably be the new Voltron. But I'm not sure they could afford the license.

I am really hype for this. I fucking loved the mechanical emphasis on bodyslamming the other monster into buildings.

If anything, it'd probably be a Pacific Rim tie-in that makes the most sense, assuming the new movie does well.

Now that I can finally start with Guard instead of buying a half-dozen boosters and only getting Martians and Planet Eaters...

I'm going Guard and painting my two "monsters" as Gaogaigar and Big Volfogg, and the vehicles as the rest of G3.

Why is anyone hyped for this game? It always looked like complete garbage at my LGS.

Like look at how the set-up is for this game is: the mat is gaudy to look at and it's cluttered as fuck. At least Infinity can make urban clutter look nice with organic scenery and urban planning. How do they expect this to blossom into a hobby game if the setup inspires gross city layouts?

Well god damn if this isnt just laser targeted at my exact shit.

I want a Super Robot Wars situation where they do random-ass licensing deals with other companies. I need Gaogaigar and Grendizer.

Well nobody here is going to argue that Infinity games can be great looking it's Veeky Forums, someone totally will but I think that's why the new version is bumping up the scale and trading in pre-painted readymade blindbox for miniatures you can prepare yourself. I expect it definitely will look different from your pic.

I don't know man, I think you're just expressing an aesthetic preference. I loved the cartoony look and the cluttered feel of the cities in Monsterpocalypse. It made it so much fun to wreck the shit out of them.

DONT YOU FUCKING PLAY WITH ME

It's not "organic" because its tile/square based, not "true terrain" or whatever most wargames have. It's completely fucking awesome to play, hurling other monsters into buildings, managing your "forms" and dividing your resources between the monster and units, its a fantastic game.

>changes in scale
Yeah, sure

Shit, its been so long I forgot about those little chubby dinosaurs. Love em.

Put the dude on the right on a similar sized based to dude in the middle, and they're very much a different scale.

t. guy who never bodyslammed Terra Khan into a high-rise

yes? I'm not sure where you are going with that post

>you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

Who /guard/ here? Can't wait to see what Laser Knight looks like now. Even the female robot might look good with proper rigid plastic legs, no more anti-gravity lean.

pic related

>H-he's fast!

Okay, so Infinity terrain looks pretty, but it's just terrain. You move dudes on top of it, over it, around it, done. You have cover/block line of sight and that's kinda it. (Or at least that's all it did when I played.) Monsterpocalypse cities were part of the game. You brought your buildings along with your army and built the city as part of the setup. Then when the game starts, you trash the shit out of it.

Most everything in the game only did one or two damage, so chaining damage by slamming other monsters into buildings and destroying them was really the best way to knock an enemy down quick. One damage from the hit, one damage from smashing into the building, and if it was a power plant or skyscraper or something then it could do another damage from the radioactive waste or fire in the wreckage.

Then there was the various special shit from the buildings. The Planet Eaters could power up by wrecking buildings for shits and giggles. Terrasaurs could power up by eating residential buildings full of people. Shadow Sun Syndicate could teleport their Ultraman knockoffs from skyscraper to skyscraper. Martians got stronger by sucking up the radioactivity from power plants.

The game was fucking amazing as a kaiju battle game. Nothing has even come close since it died.

Look at the difference in base thickness, dude. Take the guy on the right off of that super chunky base and it'd much more obvious.

>Are the models the only difference, then? What about the game rules?

>The new Monsterpocalypse rules represent an improved second edition of the original game rather than a completely new game. In developing the new Monsterpocalypse, we worked hard to tighten and streamline the rules while keeping the core game experience of the original game intact.

Then

>Can I use my original Monsterpocalypse figures in the new game?

>Due to the difference in scale, original Monsterpocalypse figures will not work in the new game. All official Monsterpocalypse tournaments and events will require players to use the new hobby models for play.

Hah, bollocks. I have no horse in this race but how on earth can this be the case when it's a mostly abstract boardgame?

PP really did grow up into being a shitty B-grade Games Workshop. Shame.

> wait 8 years for menoth paladin of the wall warcaster
> wait 8 years for MonPoc to be released
Privateer Press consistently disappoints. If this was released 3-4 years ago, I would be all in but I have better games to play and better miniatures to paint.

I never played the original Monpoc, does it have TLOS or something? It seems like a full board game, tiled mat and everything, so it should have no effect except to make you buy the minis again.

a friend played lords of chtul, the motherfucker used the music producer building when destroyed you could summon units from them. Of course i played my eaters with comet fragments that buffed my units, good times and fun.

It mostly seems to be a way of forcing you to buy the new minis

>metal and resin

EXTREMELY CONCERNED

I did not like the plastic / resin stuff PP used for WMH and I don't like mixed metal/nonmetal minis.

Also price is going to be key here, if it's WMH prices that will suck.

I spend half my time off this week playing Into The Breach, and now you tell me PP is relaunching their line of big robutt fights with hobby-grade minis?

If my dreams come true and PacRim 2 is notably better than the Bayformersesque trailers make it look, 2018 is going to be the Year of Mecha Fights

It'll be interesting to see how it matches up to Giga Robo. Although the latter is a boardgame, I backed it basically on the back of it being a giant robot fighting game about smashing stuff into buildings, and they've talked about wanting to do a Kaiju expansion.

>PP really did grow up into being a shitty B-grade Games Workshop. Shame.

Even worse, GW still lets you use old models in their games.

Anyway, I'd actually enjoy some quick, pre-painted monster bash gaming, but they went back on that to painting and gluing the stuff yourself...and I don't have the time or energy to do that with what clearly is a side-chick of a game.

>EXTREMELY CONCERNED
yeah, yeahhh

Their resin has gotten even worse, if that was possible. I'm going to have to wait until I see the physical product before getting hyped.

Hell, both Blood bowl and Nucromunda launched with full legacy faction lists, and Blood Bowl players are welcomed with ancient minis at events (the NAF is, I think, all but sanctioned)

It’s a pretty good time to be into kaiju and Mecha, even if we get the occasional subpar offering like Pacific Rim 2 or Rampage.

They're not even out yet. It's stilly to judge them ahead of time. Sure, they both look a little meh, and PacRim 2 is basically guaranteed to not be as good as the first without Del Toro at the helm, but there's still a chance they'll turn out decent.

>pacific rim was awful
>Kong skull island was awful
>pacific rim 2 looks awful
>rampage looks awful
Yeah right bro what a great time to be a kaiju fan

>without Del Toro at the helm
Oh. Fuck.

I mean, if you're going to call two critically acclaimed films awful, you should probably offer an actual argument instead of just asserting it.

Looking up the new directors background, it's even worse. This is his first feature film after coming off of TV shows, including Spartacus. Some of the stuff he's worked on is okay, but a lot of people don't make the transition between TV and film well.

Although... Fuck, now I'm wishing they'd make a Pacific Rim TV show. Make it a prequel about the Jaeger program, focus heavily on character development and the state of the world, both to give added context and to save the budget so that you can make the rarer Jaeger vs Kaiju fights look really fucking good. I think that could be really interesting.

>Yeah right bro what a great time to be a kaiju fan

You're acting like kaiju/giant robot shit has a regular track record of producing critically acclaimed and award winning rt as opposed to shlocky campy shit.

The fact that it's getting mainstream US blockbuster releases is itself cause for celebration.

Skull Island was liked by critics?

Every review I saw was slamming on how shit the characters and John C Riley and Kong was the only thing worth anything in the movie.

75% on Rotten Tomatoes, so the consensus was pretty positive.

Watching the background material interviews with Del Toro made it clear that he loved giant monsters thrashing each other and was dedicated to making a movie depicting giant things stomping around and thrashing each other in detail.

The trailers for PR2 look like they can't decide between portraying goofy gimmick mecha team Power Rangers or dumb visual clusterfuck MBay!Transformers, and now I understand why.

Pacrim's already getting a minis game so unlikely unless that game crashes and burns.

Link?

riverhorse.eu/pacific-rim-extinction/

Huh. Looks potentially not shit.

Thing is judging by the scale picture the scale hasn't changed THAT much.

Of course that sort of thing really only matters with "super duper official buy only new stuff no old stuff allowed" tournaments.

I doubt anyone just wanting to play the fucking game would care if your miniatures are a couple of mm smaller.

Only if you give a fuck about "official tournaments".

The way they have worded it is reeks of corporate wankery though.

>based on the new movie

Aaaand into the trash it goes.

I'm also suspecting that there's going to be some big changes in terms of stat block distributions and hyper forms given that the base we saw in the picture was a flat clear one and no longer going pre-painted.

There's actually a Monsterpocalypse plugin for Tabletop Simulator, but the guy who made it only did four armies before stopping due to lack of interest, which is kinda sad.

If it does well I'm sure we'll see the original Jaegers and kaijus on a second wave.

It's Riverhorse, it's 100% guaranteed shit.

What's their previous record?

The My Little Pony RPG among others.

Wasn't the MLP RPG actually meant to be decent for what it was? A super basic RPG designed for kids to play that did the job pretty well.

>Can I use my original Monsterpocalypse figures in the new game?

>"Due to the difference in scale, original Monsterpocalypse figures will not work in the new game. All official Monsterpocalypse tournaments and events will require players to use the new hobby models for play."

The amount fucks I gave has gone out the window. Scummy as fuck to former players. Me not being one of them but that's just fucking scummy.

Riverhorse almost exclusively does licensed properties.
The MLP RPG is a super basic rpg for kids, so Alessio can roleplay with his kid daughters who likes MLP.

Former player here, still hyped as fuck. It's not like my old figures weren't collecting dust before today regardless.

That mini looks fucking rad.

Dem chubby belchers are so cute.

Their Terminator game was pretty good. Sold like crap, but that was more due to the bad movie and bad minis. The gameplay is fun.

Somebody tell me about the gameplay for MonPoc please
I love the concept and PP usually turns out reliable 7/10 quality models, but they have issues with marketing and releases that take a lot of fun to compensate for

The game is fundamentally about resource management. Controlling certain tiles or buildings gets you resources to boost or bring in reinforcements etc. Each "turn" is either a monster or unit turn, with the dice you spend in one pool moving to the other, so usually you go monster, units, monster, units. Monsters have seperate hp for each form so managing what form to be in matters too. Besides that stuff its a big brawl between the monsters with a lot of smashing people into buildings, throwing their units at each other. Besides combined attacks units rarely harm monsters, they are your area controllers and fight each other.

The core of the game is killing your opponent's monster, usually by throwing them into buildings.

Each side builds an army with a monster, a choice of small guys, and some buildings. The biggest part is that each player has a certain amount of dice and two pools, the monster pool and the unit pool. During your turn, you choose to either activate your monster or your units. Whenever you spend a die to do anything, move, roll them to make attacks, etc., you move them over from their current pool to the other. For example, if you want to make a move for your monster, you move a die from your monster pool over to the unit pool. So it creates this back and forth you can control the flow of. If you play conservatively, you can do two monster activations in a row, or vice versa.

Units are there to mostly support the monster by controlling buildings, killing other little guys, or ganging up on the enemy monster. Most can't take a monster on by themselves, with a few exceptions, such as the explodohawk, a little suicidal bugger that runs in and explodes against the enemy. Units are technically infinite, you can respawn killed units by "paying" their cost in dice from the unit pool.

Monsters focus on power moves. Attacks only do a point of damage if they succeed, but you can chain them to cause more if you hit the right stuff. For example, throwing an enemy into a building does a point, and some buildings have hazards that do a point, so a monster could pile drive his enemy into a building like that and wrack up 3 points of damage.

I'm probably forgetting a lot, but it has been years since I actually played.

I like that organized play prizes are just variant building designs. Trying to get tournament prize Mega/Quantums was and is a bitch. Of course that can all change and they can do limited Megas/Quantums again, but at least proxying will be easier.

Since they mentioned that the rules are just improvements on the original, and judging on the size of the base, it seems like the only things screwing you over from using old figures in non-organized play tournaments is that stats are just moved to cards. It's still a dick move to fans that have older stuff, but if you don't give a shit about tournaments, it'll probably be easy enough to mix-and-match.

>Jesus fucking Christ, took them long enough.

Hey, they where busy fucking up Warmahordes, show some decency! Stuff like that takes time and effort, and they simply couldn't afford attention on any other aspect of their business.

On another note, the models for monpoc looks sweet as hell! The scale feels right, and I really embrace the full on cartoony translation of the new models.
If we can expect it to be full plastic and reasonably priced I would be exited, but we all know this wont be the case. Most Privateer Press releases in recent time costs more than GW boxes for a box of repetitive posing and far worse details.

So yea, I want to have my hopes up, but I guess we just have to wait and see.

Don't forget special rules and attacks the monsters and units had allowed more than 1 damage in special circumstances too.
I like that the monsters feel true to design, but the buildings and units are extra cartoony and kind of "abstract". It helps demonstrate they might be smaller than they actually look.

Former player here. Only people who weren't former players will be mad about this. Former players will just be happy to see the game back, since there's really nothing like it.

As long as the game still uses a grid, old minis will be compatible anyways. You can't blame PP for wanting to actually sell new product instead of encouraging everyone to rush to the secondhand market.