EDH/Commander General

Disappointment Edition

Previously:RESOURCES
>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread question
What has been your most disappointing commander/deck? What were you super excited to play, but just fell flat? What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/pirate-six-alternate-wincons/
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/dominaria-leak-2018-03-08
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>What has been your most disappointing commander/deck? What were you super excited to play, but just fell flat? What went wrong?

For me it was when I made Narset. It's a GOOD deck, and it can win pretty easily but it's just not fun. You're going to be playing a game of archenemy every single game and the general isn't particularly interactive.

I eventually just stopped playing it.

>What has been your most disappointing commander/deck?
Basic Zombie Reanimator.
Too many people play graveyard hate in my meta. I always ended up topdecking with no board and no graveyard..

Remember that trend last year of people trying to meme the idea that the reserve list needs to be expanded into popular opinion? What happened with that?

I had the same experience with Maelstrom Wanderer. I was super excited to brew and play it, but it just wasn't that fun of a deck.

Does your playgroup play with music in the background? If so, what do you listen to? Mine usually sticks to 80s pop playlists, the only thing to slang cards to.

>start to build hapatra
>realize I have cards for selvala and ayli
>doing that makes me realize I should build Orochi as well
>Realize I should build rhonas and kefnet with the cards I have too
>then i find my half completed xenagod deck

mfw

Reminder that Dominaria will feature a 4/4 Legendary Cleric for 4WW with
(4): Exchange your life total with ~'s power.

The spice is red hot my friends.

Says who?

I have so many things I want to build it's ridiculous.

We exclusively play at local Czech pub so the music is thematic

I think there are leaks out there.

Aqua. We started listening to it ironically, but then we started to associate Aqua with the good memories and fun times that we were having and began listening to it very unironically.

Vivaldi's Four Seasons is great for background music during commander
>quads of 80s pop

One day when I'm older I'm going to regret all the money I dumped into this stupid card came.

But I'm not going to stop

humming katy perry

depends on who's connected to the sound system but i force my play group to listen to grindcore or carly rae jepson usually.

Help me out here guys I have 10 cards left to get from buying/trading until Momir Vig is complete and while 6 are important to the deck (and cheap) 4 are less important and it'll take time to either buy/trade them. What are some good replacements for Snapcaster, Cavern of Souls, Force of Will, and mana crypt

Depends. At the lgs it's usually weird indie stuff
At my place it's wu tang and metal

I sometimes think about forcing my playgroup to listen to either classical or weebshit for shits n giggles, but never follow through.

Usually nothing, but LGS has some music playing usually, so whatever's on there. Nice digita btw

I also love Beethoven's 9th, but I think it's too intense for background music

I'd rather listen to piano concertos than the fucking Four Seasons.

There was one greasy guy who would get bored if he thought things were going a little slow and would play his terrible anime pop music on his shitty phone speakers but after people told him to fuck off with that he stopped.

is there any other cards like Proteus Staff?

>shitty phone speakers
Is there anything worse?

Any suggestions for this deck here?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/pirate-six-alternate-wincons/

>Is there anything worse?
The same guy would always insist on eating while playing. And it wasn't just like a light snack or something, he'd eat like honey garlic chicken wings and boxes of noodles drenched in sauce. It was absolutely disgusting, especially when he played his Beckett Brass "steal all the things" deck.
He still goes to the same stores as some of our group, but needless to say he got banned from attending any home games after his first go. I wish I was making this shit up.

>>Thread question

Probably Noyan Dar. It wasnt that it wasnt interesting or fun to play, but theres something about attacking with a land that you really want to use to cast something during your turn that you have only just enough to play.

Not generally. Sometimes one guy throws some shit on. Mostly just white people in their early 30s music.

I'm looking to build a deck that would fuck heavily with combo players in my meta (Flash Hulk, Zur Stax, etc) and am wondering how effective Phenax Wall Tribal (including stuff like head games)
Would be for that.

You are wrong. With multiple replacement effects affecting the same event, the affected player gets to choose the order in which they are replaced. See rule 616 in the comprehensive rules.
The order in this situation becomes:
>enter draw step, about to draw first card, Archmage Ascension wants to replace that effect, it gets replaced, you tutor a card
>Font of Mythos triggers, it resolves after everyone passes priority, you are about to draw two cards
>Alhammarret's Archive and Archmage Ascension both want to replace the draws as they happen, you choose one of the replacement effects for each draw
>to maximize your plays, you choose Alhammarret's Archive as your replacement effect, which causes you to draw two cards twice, then Archmage Ascension wants to replace THOSE draws, each one individually
>you tutor four cards one at a time, done

Thought Vessel and Jin-Gitaxias don't use timestamps either. Thought Vessel practically sets your hand size to infinity while Jin-Gitaxias only reduces it by 7, so your hand size becomes infinity minus 7. By comparison, in a situation with a card like Null Profusion alongside a Thought Vessel, your hand size would be determined by timestamps.

best general for abzan enchantress?

The first mode on Boros Charm just got a whole new meaning

Edm or hip hop.

honestly there isnt really anything in abzan that scream enchantress, maybeSidar Kondo of Jamuraa // Tymna the Weaver?

Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain
2UR
Legendary Creature — Human Artificer
3/3
Whenever you cast a historic spell, draw a card. (Artifacts, legendaries, and Sagas are historic.)

Well, we got our Izzet Artificer.

We also got a non combat RW legendary
Firesong and Sunspeaker (Buy-a-Box Promotional Card)
4RW
Legendary Creature – Minotaur Cleric
4/6
Red instant and sorcery spells you control have lifelink.
Whenever a white instant or sorcery spell causes you to gain life, Firesong and Sunspeaker deals 3 damage to target creature or player.

Evolutionary leap?

>tfw want to build Sydri
>artifact goodstuff is still expensive as hell because apparently they're not nostalgic
Thanks, Wizards.

Adeliz, the Cinder Wind
1UR
Legendary Creature — Human Wizard
2/2
Flying, haste
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, Wizards you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.

Arvad the Cursed
3WB
Legendary Creature — Vampire Knight
3/3
Deathtouch, lifelink
Other legendary creatures you control get +2/+2.

Aryel, Knight of Windgrace
2WB
Legendary Creature — Human Knight
4/4
Vigilance
2W, T: Create a 2/2 white Knight creature token with vigilance.
B, T, Tap X untapped Knights you control: Destroy target creature with power X or less.

Baird, Steward of Argive
2WW
Legendary Creature — Human Soldier
2/4
Vigilance
Creatures can't attack you or a planeswalker you control unless their controller pays 1 for each of those creatures.

Darigaaz Reincarnated
4BRG
Legendary Creature — Dragon
7/7
Flying, trample, haste
If Darigaaz Reincarnated would die, instead exile it with three egg counters on it.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Darigaaz is exiled with an egg counter on it, remove an egg counter from it. Then if Darigaaz has no egg counters on it, return it to the battlefield.

Demonlord Belzenlok
4BB
Legendary Creature — Elder Demon
6/6
Flying, trample
When Demonlord Belzenlok enters the battlefield, exile cards from the top of your library until you exile a nonland card, then put that card into your hand. If the card's converted mana cost is 4 or greater, repeat this process. Demonlord Belzenlok deals 1 damage to you for each card put into your hand this way.

Jodah, Archmage Eternal
1URW
4/3
Flying
You may pay WUBRG rather than pay the mana cost for spells that you cast.

Mox Amber
Legendary Artifact
T: Add one mana of any color among legendary creatures and planeswalkers you control.
HOLY SHIT.

Garna, the Bloodflame
3BR
Legendary Creature — Human Warrior
3/3
Flash
When Garna, the Bloodflame enters the battlefield, return to your hand all creature cards in your graveyard that were put there from anywhere this turn.
Other creatures you control have haste.

Grand Warlord Radha
2RG
Legendary Creature — Elf Warrior
3/4
Haste
Whenever one or more creatures you control attack, add that much mana in any combination of R and/or G. Until end of turn, you don't lose this mana as steps and phases end.

Grunn, the Lonely King
4GG
Legendary Creature — Ape Warrior
5/5
Kicker 3 (You may pay an additional 3 as you cast this spell.)
If Grunn, the Lonely King was kicked, it enters the battlefield with five +1/+1 counters on it.
Whenever Grunn attacks alone, double its power and toughness until end of turn.

Hallar, the Firefletcher
1RG
Legendary Creature — Elf Archer
3/3
Trample
Whenever you cast a spell, if that spell was kicked, put a +1/+1 counter on Hallar, the Firefletcher, then Hallar deals damage equal to the number of +1/+1 counters on it to each opponent.

inb4 banned in super cereal Duel Commanders

Kazarov, Sengir Pureblood
5BB
Legendary Creature — Vampire
4/4
Flying
Whenever a creature an opponent controls is dealt damage, put a +1/+1 counter on Kazarov, Sengir Pureblood.
3R: Kazarov deals 2 damage to target creature.

Kwende, Pride of Femeref
3W
Legendary Creature — Human Knight
2/2
Double strike
Creatures you control with first strike have double strike.

Marwyn, the Nurturer
2G
Legendary Creature — Elf Druid
1/1
Whenever another Elf enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on Marwyn, the Nurturer.
T: Add an amount of G equal to Marwyn's power.

Muldrotha, the Gravetide
3BGU
Legendary Creature — Elemental Avatar
6/6
During each of your turns, you may play up to one permanent card of each permanent type from your graveyard. (If a card has multiple permanent types, choose one as you play it.)

4GG
Legendary Creature — Elemental Avatar
0/0
Reach, trample
Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar gets +1/+1 for each land you control and each land card in your graveyard.
1G, Return two lands you control to their owner's hand: Return Multani from your graveyard to your hand.

Naban, Dean of Iteration
1U
2/1
If a Wizard entering the battlefield under your control causes a triggered ability of a permanent you control to trigger, that ability triggers an additional time.

Rona, Disciple of Gix
1UB
Legendary Creature — Human Artificer
2/2
When Rona, Disciple of Gix enters the battlefield, you may exile target historic card from your graveyard. (Artifacts, legendaries, and Sagas are historic.)
You may cast nonland cards exiled with Rona.
4, T: Exile the top card of your library.

Shanna, Sisay's Legacy
GW
Legendary Creature — Human Warrior
0/0
Shanna, Sisay's Legacy can't be the target of abilities your opponents control.
Shanna gets +1/+1 for each creature you control.

Slimefoot, the Stowaway
1BG
Legendary Creature — Fungus
2/3
Whenever a Saproling you control dies, Slimefoot, the Stowaway deals 1 damage to each opponent and you gain 1 life.
4: Create a 1/1 green Saproling creature token.

Squee, the Immortal
1RR
Legendary Creature — Goblin
2/1
You may cast Squee, the Immortal from your graveyard or from exile.

Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle
3W
Legendary Creature — Bird Cleric
2/2
Flying
Whenever you cast a historic spell, return target creature card with converted mana cost 3 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield. (Artifacts, legendaries, and Sagas are historic.)

Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive
1U
Legendary Creature — Human Rogue
1/3
Creatures you control with power or toughness 1 or less can't be blocked.

Tiana, Ship's Caretaker
3RW
Legendary Creature — Angel Artificer
3/3
Flying, first strike
Whenever an Aura or Equipment you control is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may return that card to its owner's hand at the beginning of the next end step.

Torgaar, Famine Incarnate
6BB
Legendary Creature — Avatar
7/6
As an additional cost to cast this spell, you may sacrifice any number of creatures. This spell costs 2 less to cast for each creature sacrificed this way.
When Torgaar, Famine Incarnate enters the battlefield, up to one target player's life total becomes half their starting life total, rounded down.

Urgoros, the Empty One
4BB
Legendary Creature — Specter
4/3
Flying
Whenever Urgoros, the Empty One deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card at random. If the player can't, you draw a card.

Valduk, Keeper of the Flame
2R
Legendary Creature — Human Shaman
3/2
At the beginning of combat on your turn, for each Aura and Equipment attached to Valduk, Keeper of the Flame, create a 3/1 red Elemental creature token with trample and haste. Exile those tokens at the beginning of the next end step.

Verix Bladewing
2RR
Legendary Creature — Dragon
4/4
Kicker 3 (You may pay an additional 3 as you cast this spell.)
Flying
When Verix Bladewing enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, create Karox Bladewing, a legendary 4/4 red Dragon creature token with flying.

Whisper, Blood Liturgist
3B
Legendary Creature — Human Cleric
2/2
T, Sacrifice two creatures: Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield.

Aaaaaand that's all the new commanders spoiled so far. Is this going to be the golden age of EDH lads?

Oops, missed one

Evra, Halcyon Witness
4WW
Legendary Creature — Avatar
4/4
Lifelink
4: Exchange your life total with Evra, Halcyon Witness's power.

>Muldrotha, the Gravetide
>3BGU
>Legendary Creature — Elemental Avatar
>6/6
>During each of your turns, you may play up to one permanent card of each permanent type from your graveyard. (If a card has multiple permanent types, choose one as you play it.)
I hope this works with evoke creatures
time to finally build sultai lands

Tribal Knight in standard I bet, too bad it's not singleton.

It doesn't even help you cast your commander.
I could see it in anything with 4 CMC or less commanders though.

Can we keep the spoilers to the spoiler thread?

>It doesn't even help you cast your commander
It does if you have other legendary permanents in play.

Only the possible commanders were posted here. Folks are gonna want to brew my man.

>Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive
Wait, what? Why is this dude a creature on Dominaria?

>Garna, the Bloodflame
possibly the best legendary for playing shadowborn apostles

read the story nerd

It's just Kamigawa without the good flavor and lore, calm your tits.

finally.
FINALLY.

>implying Dominaria doesn't kick the SHIT out of kamigawa in both flavor and lore.
Get your bad taste out of here faggot

Huh, I thought Umezawa was supposed to be a like a dude on Kamigawa.

>implying new Dominaria will be anything like old Dominaria
Get your retarded ass out of here faggot

From what I remember I'm pretty sure his line got banished to Dominaria due to Myojin of Night's Reach

>a new mox that'll be an EDH staple
OUR GOD GARFIELD HAS RETURNED. SUCK A DICK ROSEWATER!

It's perfect for Captain Sisay

Yeah, just checked the wiki, Toshiro was banished from Kamigawa to Dominaria. You learn something new every day.

>>a new mox that'll be an EDH staple
lol yeah right as if the mentally ill modern crowd won't buy it out the moment the set hits the streets

>tfw dominaria is buffing wizards
>tfw friend runs inalla
Fuck me, right?

user every Planeswalker except Lili is shit in Modern and there aren't that many great Legendaries. Also it's a Standard legal card and I don't know if you've heard this but those are getting put in newbie decks now.

i didn't say it's a good card, i just said that all the mentally ill retards will buy it out in speculation that someone will break one of the formats with it. i just guessed modern because modern seems to have the highest number of people who are really bad at money

>REEEEEEEEEEEE I'M NOT WRONG REEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Not being able to admit you're wrong is a sign of autism user.

what was i wrong about

In case anybody here wants to see what else we know (like the Sagas!)

>two threads ago
>general tazri
>'won't go in gay kings'
Then make it 5 color gay kings, fag.

I was thinking more of cards that put creatures back into the deck but I suppose that's close enough

Will planeswalkers become more playable now that non-targeted player damage can't be redirected or are they still too fragile?

You think people will buyout a card in standard that's still seeing print when most buyouts are of cards that just rotated out or did well at Pro Tour/GP. Chandra for example wasn't $30+ because of any "buyouts" she was that price because she's in a T1 deck that was one of the few viable decks before the recent banning besides energy, and she sees fringe play in Modern, and people want her for EDH. The big bad financial boogeyman isn't gonna buyout all the Mox Ambers just because it's a Mox. The only reason why Opal is so expensive is because of Affinity and Lantern just look at Chrome Mox sitting slightly below $20.

They can still be domed by Lightning Bolt. So probably not.

>non-targeted player damage
What's this?

don't ever speak to me in those tones again

>they're removing the redirect on non-combat damage
Fucking why?

I think some of these are uncommons. Fuck me sideways, this is too much info all at once.

On non-targetted non-combat damage.

Rules Change: Damage Can't Be Redirected to Planeswalkers

Previously, you could redirect noncombat damage that a source you control would deal to an opponent, having that source instead deal that damage to one of their planeswalkers. With the release of the Dominaria set, this rule is being removed from the game. A large number of cards that dealt a certain amount of damage to "target player" are receiving errata using the following guidelines:

• Abilities that read "target creature or player" have been changed to "any target."
• Abilities that read "target player" have been changed to "target player or planeswalker." However, if the amount of damage is calculated by using information about that player or objects they control, the ability remains unchanged and can now damage only the player.
• Abilities that read "target opponent" have been changed to "target opponent or planeswalker" with the same exception listed above. These spells and abilities can target a planeswalker you control.
• Abilities that deal damage but don't call for a target haven't received errata, with one exception (Vial Smasher the Fierce).

In addition to these changes, a small number of other cards that modify damage are affected. Notably, effects that prevent damage that would be dealt to a target have received errata under the above guidelines.

Yes, yes, I read it too.

>Slimefoot, the Stowaway
Straight into my Thelon deck, finally a simple drop-in alternate commander. Also some other fungus cards it seems, though none as nice as the time spiral thallids.

is now the best time to buy the inalla deck?

>Richard Garfield is back
>the new block is good
>a new fucking MOX out of nowhere
I can't help but think of the fight between Garrosh and Thrall only Garrosh is Rosewater and Thrall is Garfield. Seriously fuck Rosewater and his watering down of the game.

Funny thing, I was just thinking of Isperia not long ago, trying to remember what the fuck she did.

>UR Artifact commander
And it also synergyzes with the other legendary creatures in U/R.
>RW Spellslinger commander
Expensive, but still nice. Would run this over Aurelia anyday.

pic related

So I remember a GW card that acts exactly like Beacon of Unrest, minus the shuffling into library, but I cannot find it on gatherer. Can anyone tell me the card I'm thinking of? 5cmc GW sorcery or instant is what I remember. Help me out anons I'm going crazy here

>new angel card
>5 mana 5/5 that anthems Angels and gives them lifelink

Finally wizards.. One Angel card for my jank ass Angel deck. Thank you.

I'm a bit upset because she's a better Reki.

They also printed a better Radha. I'm worried every single general I have will be obsoleted by this set.

You're thinking of Hymn of Rebirth, but it doesn't target artifacts.

>Radha
I love how they kept her design.

>historic spell
What the fuck

>Kicker 3
Kicker is back BABY!

>Ape Warrior
Yup, that's getting built

I swear to god, this whole thing is like a wet dream except I have to fucking dismantle half my decks to fit this shit in.

>gay kings spit roasting tazri
Fund it

>Grunn
I can't wait to introduce you to our lord and savior, Xenagos.