>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously on /5eg/:
Tell me anons what is your favorite character or NPC and what is the one thing you like about them the most.

Other urls found in this thread:

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJ-cHroFuf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Mask of Many Faces
>Agonizing Blast
>Eldritch Blast
>Friends
>Actor feat

Go Bard/Hexblade. Enjoy.

>Martial in training
>Gets thrown to another world
>Sword got absorbed by the shadows between worlds during the trip and fused to their soul
>Instant hexblade

Don't overthink shit when you're making backstories.

Solid advice right there

minor CoS spoilers
My favorite NPC was the priest of Lathander and his vampire spawn son, namely because of how well the DM sold the whole social interaction. In between lines of the priest, he would act out the son locked in the basement "FATHER, I SMELL BLOOOOOOD." It was very convincing and made the whole social encounter that much more compelling.

My favorite thing about my bard PC is her big boobers. After all, Cha = cup size.

>What's even the point of Radiant Soul? By the time you get it you're still better off firing two agonizing blasts.
It's a nice bonus for when you cast fire or radiant spells, it does not make you a blaster.

Also resistance to radiant damage

>What's even the point of Radiant Soul? By the time you get it you're still better off firing two agonizing blasts.
GFblade + Shadow Blade for 3d6+3d8+dex+cha minimum and also a little 1d8+cha splash to somebody within 5 feet vs. 2d10 + 2(cha)
Of course a radiant soul warlock of all things using a shadow blade is even less thematically fitting than Eldritch Blast, but that's how it do.

Our bard. I like the fact that he's constantly low-key racist towards non-humans in a way that seems like he's not trying to be an asshole.

1970s Suburban Dad racism is the best. No need to be rude or verbally aggressive, just subtle dissociation and patronization

It's really great, he'll be talking to human NPCs and just say "OH you know how those green people can be" and it's great. It really helps that he's a variant Noble too. I'm almost sad that our campaign is basically going to end Saturday.

Maybe I've just been playing D&D too long, but as a DM I feel like people try too hard with characters nowadays. I feel like some of the most compelling characters I see at table are the ones who play to type, the fighter who just wants to be known swordsman, the paladin who is lawful good, the wizard who wants to become powerful...

subverting the tropes has become so cliche that it's less cliche to play the tropes they're subverting

Of note, he's the only human in our party.

>subverting the tropes has become so cliche that it's less cliche to play the tropes they're subverting
This

People think originality is the most important thing when it's actually the least.

imo it's less what you play but how you play it. it's the PC version of a DM running a pre-built; a dm running a pre-build but doing interesting things with NPCs can make a campaign really fun. likewise, a PC with a generic backstory can really make a character interesting if they put their heart and soul into roleplaying it.

I want to make a barbarian based off of Joseph Stalin. It is having dual wield a hammer and sickle and be bare chested. I don't want to be a huge detriment to the team, is there any Feats I should consider?

>Yuan-Ti PB sorceror - wild magic
>was basically jessica jones but used magic instead of fists

probably my favorite character ive ever played

Dual wielder

So. I'm starting a 4th level game (ToA); going 3 lore bard / 1 GOO warlock. Anything that I should be wary of for trap options/leveling rate? I'm kind of thinking of pushing up to 3/3, then raising bard levels again after that.

Dual Wielder, +1 AC and you can use non-light weapons in duel wielding (Not heavy or two handed though). Maybe dip 1 level into Fighter for the Two Weapon Fighter ability.

Dual wielder, otherwise you're going to have problems using them together. I'm tempted to say look at taking two levels in fighter, so that you can pickup fighting style (one level), and action surge (second level). Turns you somewhat into a blender.

Barbarogue would be classic for dual wielding, but neither weapon is finesse unless you can convince your DM to be really nice.

>what is your favorite character or NPC
>what is the one thing you like about them the most
Elf Ranger that I had no personality idea for but through rolls and being inexperienced at RP became more of a doofus diplomancer than any typical ranger.
>Cha = cup size
While I disagree with this on a conceptual level, I can definitely appreciate a bustier lady, even moreso if we're playing "huge mana reserves" with someone that might use their curves to help with their Persuasion checks.

>Finesse hammer

Fucking kek. My DM is nice, but not that nice.

Thanks anons. I'll look into Barb fighter.

Mithril

Well, you only can get the sneak attack off once per turn anyhow, so having the hammer only hurts if you miss the first attack.

As barbarogue you are building STR anyway, so it should work fine enough.

Honestly I don't think it should be that big of a deal. If you can get a like, claw hammer (remove ability to two hand it, gain finesse - then its equivalent to a rapier) instead, or just .. Applying finesse to the light hammer, since its stat profile is identical to the dagger (with exception of damage type), and I cannot really recall the last time I had damage type really matter much in this edition.

It just personally bugs me that weapons are so restrictive.

Neither hammers or sickles have finesse. So he would not get any benefit from sneak attack, at any point - unless he can convince the DM to just let him to treat one/both as finesse (which should be fine, as long as you pair down things like versatile off of it - so that its not suddenly a 1d10 finesse weapon).

Missed that on the sickle, yep.

DM question, in this scenario:

>The lower lock is trapped. The trap can be spotted with a successful DC 13 Wisdom (Perception) check

Do you ask the players to make a perception check before picking the lock? or only if they say "Wait, it might be trapped. I check if it's trapped."

You're welcome

Moving from a one-shot to a long campaign and players want an urban Forgotten Realms campaign. Any suggestions for in-depth books that drill down on a particular city?

How have you tweaked the appearance of a spell you took? Blue fireballs? Skeletal mage hand?

>doesn't even give farming bonuses
Dropped.

Why would it? You know what happened in ukraine, right?

>get hyped for drunken master monk
>watch drunken kung fu movies to make my character
>slowly realize that nothing in the drunken master monk subclass enables the awesome stuff I'm seeing in the classic kung fu movies for drunken master style fighting.

times 5e disappointed you?

>times 5e disappointed you?
When I tried to make 5e do what I wanted instead of trying to figure out what I wanted out of 5e.

I mean it certainly does. You just have to describe it. Or are you saying that because the abilities don't require your character to be drunk?

>yuan-ti pb sorceror
>mage hand is a snake head
>poison spray swirls out of my arm tattoo and shoots the person in the face, as a snake in a gaseous form
>fly has wings come out of my back,similar to Sseth
>lightning bolt comes down and hits me then i launch it out of me from my chest
>chromatic orb is a different colored snake, based on the damage type
etc.
most of the spells i just flavored to be snake-like

Give me a reason to not beg my DM to allow me to play an Oathbreaker Paladin.

Begging anyone for anything is shameful?

I'm adjusting Champion to have better DPR but I don't want to just add extra damage dice. How do achieve this goal of the champion doing extra damage without adding a flat extra damage die

Because it's faggoty. What do you want out of it that you can't get from a different oath?

Is it just me or should seeing, hearing, smelling etc be a perception[CON] roll instead of wisdom?

Being wise ain't got shit to do with being able to see a goblin hiding in the bushes.

Give advantage on damage rolls?

But Champ DPR is fine. It's competitive vs battlemaster assuming the BM isn't blowing all his dice on a one turn nova.

replace the dice with a flat number
wow

Champion is fine.

part of wisdom is situational awareness

Flavor and it looks like fun.

It's about knowing what to look for

>Relying on class to get flavor
Have you tried spicing up your personality instead?

Wisdom is about having good judgement, and good judgement is about discerning the aspects that matter among all the otherwise unimportant details that you perceive with your raw senses, and making the correct decision or conclusion based upon that.
With insight, wisdom is seeing those little twitches of the face or the inflections in the voice that give away the speaker's true intentions, regardless of whatever is coming out of his or her mouth, and making the correct assessment based on that.
With Medicine, wisdom is seeing beyond the blood and the sweat and the screaming to see what is not working, what is causing the pain.
With Perception, wisdom is having the judgement to ignore all the colors, sounds, and smells that are unimportant to hone into what IS important.
Wisdom is fine.

Wisdom is street smarts, Int is book smarts. Perception is keeping your wits about you.

>having classes at all when you could just flavorfully roleplay and make up abilities that suit you perfectly

>playing D&D when you could be playing Fate

Sounds like a perfect spy character

In Dragon Age the Grey Wardens have (or used to have griffon mounts which is pretty neato. What other beasties from mythology could make thematically/mechanically cool mounts for an order of knights?

Yeah.
You also get to just make up as many varied and bizarre characters (appearance, personality, voice) as you feel like and roleplay them at will.

Dragons
Lions
Nightmares
Chimeras
Giant wolves
Giant bears
Any giant predator really

>Dragons
>Pegasus
Are the two that come to mind

Axe Beak
Blink Dog
Winter Wolf
Rhino

Wyverns or winged drakes always felt appropriate where full on dragons aren't feasible.

also:
>Giant Eagles or Owls.
>Terrorbirds
>Bears
>Wolves
>Bulls/Aurochs
>Giant Grasshoppers
>Giant Beetles
>Winged Serpents

>Roger the Alien

>Blink Dog
Had a friend that played a Halfling Paladin that rode a Blink Dog. Pretty useful

>You know what happened in the ukraine, right?
I can tell you it wasn't food.

I'm gonna make a standard human brute because I'm boring as shit like that.

Cause Conquest is a player option.

Only filthy peasants beg for the things you're oath/god allows you to take

So long as you make a character you'll be fine

I don't recall mithril giving weapons the finesse quality though. In fact, I don't recall it being mentioned much at all outside of armor and Elven Chain.
A trap in a lock would more likely be an Intelligence (Investigation) check, and would need to be checked by a player. Besides, a DC 13 Perception for a trap would mean that anyone with at least a +3 to Perception should by rights be able to notice it with their passive alone.
>Skeletal mage hand
This reminds me of my terrible validation as to why I swapped out the never-once-used Mage Hand with Chill Touch. My necromancer is tampering with the cantrip by pumping it full of necrotic/negative energy, and while it can't grab anything for more than a few seconds and has the potential of breaking whatever it grabs, she's too prideful to go back on the spell she "created" through her hard work. As for refluffed spells, I sadly haven't had many opportunities to play a caster, I remember our Wizard player refluffed Evard's Black Tentacles to be chains a la MtG's Suppression Bonds due to being in a Ravnica game, and I have a character concept that has their Magic Initiate Sacred Flame (and Guiding Bolt, but I took the feat for the cantrip) spells be raking claws.

I want to join an online campaign but because of my family situation I don't have freedom to voice chat. I certainly could but I don't want to be the guy who has a bunch of relatives yapping away in the background. So all I have left are text-based RPGs... is it worth it to join one, or should I suck it up and wait until my freeloading relatives to leave?

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJ-cHroFuf

someone statted up those leeches that were being tossed around a while back for 5E and Pathfinder

Text based games aren't bad at all though I've only been in one that fell apart due to conflicting schedules. They're a bit slower paced but the RP is pretty decent because people tend to have less spaghetti when they aren't talking in voice.

>proficient in three skills
jesus

>A trap in a lock would more likely be an Intelligence (Investigation) check,
It came straight out of tomb of annihilation, tell wizards

yikes this needs work and refinement

>go to roll20
>everyone is paying to play
c-can I make money off of being a DM holy shit

How do I make an oracle support character?

divination wizard

Yeah that's kinda what I thought, but it doesn't quite fit the vibe. Sorcerer fluff might be more appropriate. She doesn't read books, she doesn't go to wizard school, she just sees things other people don't.

I don't think they pay you.

Do they?

>he's been DM'ing for free

if you aren't charging your friends for the time you spent crafting a world for their adventures, you are missing out.

You can launch a pay-to-play campaign if you're the DM.

You can get payed to run the game.

How much do you make though? I need a huge nerd pension!

>You can get payed to run the game.
Sounds great!

>Wisdom (Perception) to spot something unusual about the lock.
>Intelligence (Investigation) to figure out it's a trap and how to disarm it.
>Dexterity (thieves' tools) to disarm the trap, if it's difficult enough to warrant a roll.
That's how I'd run it. Obviously, you don't need to make your players roll all three. Eg. succeeding at the first two should allow them to disable the trap without a roll, as long as they have the tools.

divine soul sorcerer or knowledge cleric with the lucky feat? unfortunately you'll be missing out on some of the divination spells that would thematically fit with an oracle-type character, like identify, detect thought, foresight, and contact other plane.

>tfw video chat and everyone in the lobby is a kike
t-take my money?

>Favorite Wizard School
>Favorite spell
>Favorite tricks/special moves

Mine is Transmutation and my favorite spell would have to be polymorph. Combo a polymorph>toad onto something big and bad and stuff it into a bag of devouring. I also like the freebie polymorph to turn into a flying/swimming/climbing creature to scout ahead or explore new areas.

What's the best class if I want to be as close to a succubus as possible?

Asking for a friend.

Wizard or Warlock, probably Warlock with a Succubus patron.

Tiefling bard with a shitton of enchantment spells

Fey pact warlock or enchantment wizard.

Wizard, get true polymorph, cast it on yourself. Bam, succubus.

>This is the Batnod.

close in a physical sense? fiend warlock with a succubus patron
close in a gameplay sense? try whispers bard, get all the social skills and psychically bully your lover

>tell wizards
Their stuff already has plenty of things that slipped through the cracks, like passive investigation and how the grappler feat makes it so that creatures a size larger than the grappler don't necessarily auto-succeed on their check to escape being grappled. The handbooks and guides have long since been shunted to mere references and suggestions.
My votes are for these two

Tiefling warlock.

Yeah. I'll play around with it a bit, thanks.

A player of mine decided to go Sun Soul Monk and wanted his sunlight laser beams to be glowing projections of himself kicking and punching instead of just ki blasts. Gotta say it was a pretty cool idea. He actually makes pretty extensive use of the range on it due to the way I tend to set up encounters (lots of terrain, elevation, foes hiding out of reach so the paladin doesn't just steamroll all our encounters because he's been playing for much longer than the rest of us).

>inb4 complaints about sun soul
I wouldn't mind suggestions on how to tweak it for him though because I'm pretty hopeless at that kind of thing. He's having fun regardless but we're only like level 5.